Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 93700 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 15:31 - Jul 2 with 1954 viewsAntti_Heinola

Comparisons to a mankad are ridiculous.
In that case a batter is looking to gain an advantage. Bairstow has dealt with the ball, has made no attempt to hit it or run. He tapped his foot in to say ‘i’m in’. It’s by any stretch appalling behaviour by the Aussies. Anyone who even tries to defend it has no moral compass.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 (n/t) on 15:34 - Jul 2 with 1923 viewsflynnbo

Don't worry, the Headingley crowd will be understanding and help calm matters.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2023 18:17]
Ashes 2023 on 15:36 - Jul 2 with 1910 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 15:26 - Jul 2 by Rangersw12

Cheating convict cnt

Thanks mate for your charming response. Just remember the only reason we are even on this forum is because we’re all QPR so maybe think about that before you insult a fellow R

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 15:38 - Jul 2 with 1899 viewsMedwayR

Ashes 2023 on 15:31 - Jul 2 by Antti_Heinola

In that case a batter is looking to gain an advantage. Bairstow has dealt with the ball, has made no attempt to hit it or run. He tapped his foot in to say ‘i’m in’. It’s by any stretch appalling behaviour by the Aussies. Anyone who even tries to defend it has no moral compass.

This 100%.

The aussies are the biggest bunch of cheating crybabies that ever existed. All the whining yesterday because Starc seemed to think rules around taking a clean catch didn't apply to him and that they're victims, then they pull a stunt like that today. By the book it is out but what a way to play the game, I hope they're proud of themselves.

Stokes is phenomenal. Bairstow should never have been brought in at Foakes' expense, hasn't justified the decision and Foakes needs to be brought back in. Suspect Bairstow will be kept in if Pope is injured though.

Robinson was dumb in his approach too, needed to settle things down and chip away at the target, you're not Ben Stokes Ollie...
[Post edited 2 Jul 2023 15:42]

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes 2023 on 15:38 - Jul 2 with 1900 viewsdistortR

This. Totally.
Ashes 2023 on 15:43 - Jul 2 with 1862 viewsPaddyhoops

Presentations should be fun today. In the spirit of the game . Pat Cummins should be cheered from
Rafters and told what a jolly good fellow he is.
Would have been interesting to see what the reaction of the Edgebaston crowd would have been if they pulled the same trick there.
Ashes 2023 on 15:43 - Jul 2 with 1859 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 15:36 - Jul 2 by Hooparoo

Thanks mate for your charming response. Just remember the only reason we are even on this forum is because we’re all QPR so maybe think about that before you insult a fellow R

I don’t care who you support mate. A decent percentage of England football fans are horrible c*nts, and this forum has its fair share of nasty people too.
Don’t think you’re one of them but I’m not giving anyone a free pass because we support the same team. Michael Gove is one of the worst people in England, irrelevant that he supports the same team as me. What Cummins did there was an absolute embarrassment and i’d say the same if Stokes did it.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 15:52 - Jul 2 with 1817 viewsGaryBannister86

I get your point, but most of the time Mankads are done with the non-striker being just as dozy and not actually trying to gain an advantage

The comparison is valid, because both are out by the laws, but under the unfathomable "spirit of cricket" people get very excited about them, which is where cricket is unique.

Technically, every time the batter picks the ball up and chucks back to the fielder, it is out on appeal if they haven't got the fielder's permission. So that would be out too but no-one does it as it is against the spirit of the game.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 15:52 - Jul 2 with 1812 viewsdistortR

Ashes 2023 on 15:43 - Jul 2 by Antti_Heinola

I don’t care who you support mate. A decent percentage of England football fans are horrible c*nts, and this forum has its fair share of nasty people too.
Don’t think you’re one of them but I’m not giving anyone a free pass because we support the same team. Michael Gove is one of the worst people in England, irrelevant that he supports the same team as me. What Cummins did there was an absolute embarrassment and i’d say the same if Stokes did it.

Mate, he wasn't replying to you.

Awful lack of sportmanship by the Aussies, but lets not start abusing them as a nation.

Anderson getting checked for concussion. STUMP HIM!!
Ashes 2023 on 15:54 - Jul 2 with 1797 viewsconnell10

Ashes 2023 on 15:26 - Jul 2 by Rangersw12

Cheating convict cnt

Woah uncalled for mate !!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ashes 2023 on 15:54 - Jul 2 with 1796 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 15:38 - Jul 2 by MedwayR

This 100%.

The aussies are the biggest bunch of cheating crybabies that ever existed. All the whining yesterday because Starc seemed to think rules around taking a clean catch didn't apply to him and that they're victims, then they pull a stunt like that today. By the book it is out but what a way to play the game, I hope they're proud of themselves.

Stokes is phenomenal. Bairstow should never have been brought in at Foakes' expense, hasn't justified the decision and Foakes needs to be brought back in. Suspect Bairstow will be kept in if Pope is injured though.

Robinson was dumb in his approach too, needed to settle things down and chip away at the target, you're not Ben Stokes Ollie...
[Post edited 2 Jul 2023 15:42]

Robinson is dumb. It is a bit of a flaw in our game, we appear to have a few cricketers with zero cricket smarts. Or any smarts, by the look of it.
Ashes 2023 on 15:55 - Jul 2 with 1792 viewsRangersw12

Ashes 2023 on 15:36 - Jul 2 by Hooparoo

You're an Aussie not Rangers mate
Ashes 2023 on 15:55 - Jul 2 with 1790 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 15:43 - Jul 2 by Antti_Heinola

You’re right I’m not nasty and I’m glad that we’ve had two closely contested games but we all know that if the roles were reversed and Alex Carey was stupid enough to wander out of his crease and Bairstow ran him out you’d think it was hilarious. In any case, the reason you lost was your batsmen throwing their wickets away consistently not Carey’s quick thinking.

By focussing on controversy we are also forgetting what a great innings that Stokes played. One of the great test match knocks. Let’s all try to agree on that

Ashes 2023 on 16:02 - Jul 2 with 1763 viewsMalintabuk

We have not lost this over that one decision, however bad you think it is, we have lost both these tests because Australia have played the best TEST cricket
I understand the new philosophy around what McCullum and Stokes is doing. They inherited a team that was literally on out on it's feet, and they feel this is the best way to turn things around, unfortunately against the best test side in the world it doesn't work.
We have had chances to win that first test and we should have been a little more clever, unfortunately we weren't
Lack of pace, lack of a spinner, crazy batting decisions, crazy declarations, missed chances have all contributed to those defeats.
Headingley will be interesting and who we pick, and more importantly who we leave out.
Ashes 2023 on 16:02 - Jul 2 with 1763 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes 2023 on 15:55 - Jul 2 by Hooparoo

You’re right I’m not nasty and I’m glad that we’ve had two closely contested games but we all know that if the roles were reversed and Alex Carey was stupid enough to wander out of his crease and Bairstow ran him out you’d think it was hilarious. In any case, the reason you lost was your batsmen throwing their wickets away consistently not Carey’s quick thinking.

By focussing on controversy we are also forgetting what a great innings that Stokes played. One of the great test match knocks. Let’s all try to agree on that

I owe you an apology, heat of the moment thing hopefully you'll understand as wrong as It was.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 16:07 - Jul 2 with 1737 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 16:02 - Jul 2 by ted_hendrix

I owe you an apology, heat of the moment thing hopefully you'll understand as wrong as It was.

All good Ted 👍🏻

Ashes 2023 on 16:14 - Jul 2 with 1697 viewsRangersw12

Broad is correct Carey will only be remembered for cheating now

Surprised they didn't under arm it when Stokes was teeing off
Ashes 2023 on 16:18 - Jul 2 with 1684 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 15:55 - Jul 2 by Hooparoo

Nope, had Stokes done that (and he wouldn’t) i would have been appalled. I don’t even blame Carey actually, this is on Cummins.

Same with QPR if we get an unfair pen (cardiff at home) i’ll call it. I always try to imagine my reaction in a role reversal, and in this instance i’d be appalled. I thought more of Cummins tbh - he was the ‘fair bloke’ brought in after lets not forget the disgusting cheating of warner and smith. I really thought more of him. Not a chance in hell any england captain in recent memory would’ve allowed that.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 16:18 - Jul 2 with 1678 viewsdenhamhoop2

Ashes 2023 on 15:08 - Jul 2 by Hooparoo

Bairstow is an idiot. How does that make Carey a cheat? If you hate Aussies so much why do you live here?

I wouldn't call Carey a cheat it was a heat of the moment decision to throw the stumps down but Cummins is meant to be a nice bloke yet thinks it's an acceptable way to get a wicket well judge people by their actions and it is so against the spirit of the game I cannot believe anyone can defend it. Think it's engrained in the Aussies to play right up to the edge of what is permissible bit like if you shag a mates girlfriend it's not illegal but doesn't make it right.
Ashes 2023 on 16:27 - Jul 2 with 1641 viewsflynnbo

Whilst admitting it was out, Stokes just said he would have withdrawn the appeal had he been in that position citing the spirit of the game.
Ashes 2023 on 16:40 - Jul 2 with 1606 viewsqpr1976

Ashes 2023 on 16:18 - Jul 2 by Antti_Heinola

Nope, had Stokes done that (and he wouldn’t) i would have been appalled. I don’t even blame Carey actually, this is on Cummins.

Same with QPR if we get an unfair pen (cardiff at home) i’ll call it. I always try to imagine my reaction in a role reversal, and in this instance i’d be appalled. I thought more of Cummins tbh - he was the ‘fair bloke’ brought in after lets not forget the disgusting cheating of warner and smith. I really thought more of him. Not a chance in hell any england captain in recent memory would’ve allowed that.

So when Pope did the same v NZ when Grandhomme wandered out of his crease a year or two ago, he was righty given out and our Captain was happy to let it happen.

Bairstow, having done the same at least twice shortly before was incredibly naive and ‘possibly’ cost England the Test and the Ashes. TBF he’s not alone in blame.
This Bazball whilst often entertaining, also seems to dissolve anyone out of blame for stupid, rash or poorly timed decisions/shots.

Aussies are cheating buggers though, proven time & again and by Stark in this Test. But has done noting wrong in the laws of the game. “Spirit of the Game” will always be open to interpretation.
Ashes 2023 on 16:41 - Jul 2 with 2624 viewsMedwayR

Ashes 2023 on 16:27 - Jul 2 by flynnbo

Whilst admitting it was out, Stokes just said he would have withdrawn the appeal had he been in that position citing the spirit of the game.

Whereas Cummins has just said it was premeditated and planned.

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes 2023 on 16:42 - Jul 2 with 2616 viewsPaddyhoops

Cummins speaking to Aggers!
Unrepentant. And he’s the nice guy! F**k me .
No wonder they win most of the time!
Ashes 2023 on 16:48 - Jul 2 with 2584 viewsnumptydumpty

Ashes 2023 on 16:27 - Jul 2 by flynnbo

It means the next test England will be extremely fired up.

Whether that's good or bad god only knows !!

Tbh whether the dismissal of Bairstow was within the rules of the game and in reality it was the correct decision according to the rules.

The old phrase, it's just not cricket comes to mind.

Used to be a game played by gentlemen but even middle of last century the Aussies have always been win at all costs and if its by foul means identifying as fair, then in all reality they are welcome.

As a nation though I would say we are more about fair play but only marginally.

I cannot see Ben Stokes accepting that decision if roles were reversed. The batsman would be called back within the spirit of the game.

Also what would say we far from.been outplayed both losses within 60 runs , means the odd break in the other direction and it could just as easily been 2 nil to ourselves.

There have been numerous occasions of cheaters in cricket ,ball tampering and match fixing. Inzamam ul Haq, Salman Butt, indeed Trevor Chappel under arm bowling. Even umpires used to cheat. Shakoor Rana ' s scandalous LBW decisions for and against England were obscene. Mike Gatting was almost to the point of a coronary !!!

But we not whiter than white. Stuart Broad given not out many years ago. Big snick to the wicketkeeper and Australia had no reviews left and he did not walk. Snicko showed a massive deflection. He said he heard nothing and felt nothing. What's our view regards this exactly.

We are far from perfect although on this occasion as Stokes is our current Captain, I have no doubt he would have not allowed the stumped decision to have stood.

Such is life !!!
[Post edited 2 Jul 2023 16:55]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Ashes 2023 on 17:20 - Jul 2 with 2476 viewsToast_R

Reminded me of the time Floyd Mayweather sparked out Ortiz who was attempting to touch gloves with him. Yes it's within the rules but it's shithousery of the highest order and no one wanted to see it.

Looked so pleased with themselves.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024