Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 98781 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 17:23 - Jul 2 with 2602 viewsqpr1976

Ashes 2023 on 16:48 - Jul 2 by numptydumpty

It means the next test England will be extremely fired up.

Whether that's good or bad god only knows !!

Tbh whether the dismissal of Bairstow was within the rules of the game and in reality it was the correct decision according to the rules.

The old phrase, it's just not cricket comes to mind.

Used to be a game played by gentlemen but even middle of last century the Aussies have always been win at all costs and if its by foul means identifying as fair, then in all reality they are welcome.

As a nation though I would say we are more about fair play but only marginally.

I cannot see Ben Stokes accepting that decision if roles were reversed. The batsman would be called back within the spirit of the game.

Also what would say we far from.been outplayed both losses within 60 runs , means the odd break in the other direction and it could just as easily been 2 nil to ourselves.

There have been numerous occasions of cheaters in cricket ,ball tampering and match fixing. Inzamam ul Haq, Salman Butt, indeed Trevor Chappel under arm bowling. Even umpires used to cheat. Shakoor Rana ' s scandalous LBW decisions for and against England were obscene. Mike Gatting was almost to the point of a coronary !!!

But we not whiter than white. Stuart Broad given not out many years ago. Big snick to the wicketkeeper and Australia had no reviews left and he did not walk. Snicko showed a massive deflection. He said he heard nothing and felt nothing. What's our view regards this exactly.

We are far from perfect although on this occasion as Stokes is our current Captain, I have no doubt he would have not allowed the stumped decision to have stood.

Such is life !!!
[Post edited 2 Jul 2023 16:55]

Was Stokes captain last year v NZ when Pope did the same when Grandhomme took a wander out of his crease ? Out decision stood and no 2nd thoughts by us. Works Both ways.
Ashes 2023 on 17:24 - Jul 2 with 2600 viewsrobith

Ashes 2023 on 16:40 - Jul 2 by qpr1976

So when Pope did the same v NZ when Grandhomme wandered out of his crease a year or two ago, he was righty given out and our Captain was happy to let it happen.

Bairstow, having done the same at least twice shortly before was incredibly naive and ‘possibly’ cost England the Test and the Ashes. TBF he’s not alone in blame.
This Bazball whilst often entertaining, also seems to dissolve anyone out of blame for stupid, rash or poorly timed decisions/shots.

Aussies are cheating buggers though, proven time & again and by Stark in this Test. But has done noting wrong in the laws of the game. “Spirit of the Game” will always be open to interpretation.

I suggest you rewatch that. Grandhomme clearly attempts to start a run and realises he doesn't know where the ball is and bricks it. I don't think they're comparable
Ashes 2023 on 17:27 - Jul 2 with 2586 viewsrobith

Aus were cantering to victory, that they needed to resort to such tactics is pretty budget. And the reaction clearly rattled them too.

Bairstow is a wasteman though, and England needs Foakes back in the gloves asap. Cost England badly in both tests
Ashes 2023 on 18:06 - Jul 2 with 2478 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 16:02 - Jul 2 by Malintabuk

We have not lost this over that one decision, however bad you think it is, we have lost both these tests because Australia have played the best TEST cricket
I understand the new philosophy around what McCullum and Stokes is doing. They inherited a team that was literally on out on it's feet, and they feel this is the best way to turn things around, unfortunately against the best test side in the world it doesn't work.
We have had chances to win that first test and we should have been a little more clever, unfortunately we weren't
Lack of pace, lack of a spinner, crazy batting decisions, crazy declarations, missed chances have all contributed to those defeats.
Headingley will be interesting and who we pick, and more importantly who we leave out.

I don’t think the Aussies have played much better than us in this series so far.I don’t think there is much between the sides,but I couldn’t imagine the Aussie batsmen getting out to some of the balls that England’s batsmen have got out too,apart from a few exceptions.
Ashes 2023 on 18:11 - Jul 2 with 2457 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 18:06 - Jul 2 by stowmarketrange

I don’t think the Aussies have played much better than us in this series so far.I don’t think there is much between the sides,but I couldn’t imagine the Aussie batsmen getting out to some of the balls that England’s batsmen have got out too,apart from a few exceptions.

were you not watching their second innings?

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 18:31 - Jul 2 with 2404 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 18:11 - Jul 2 by Antti_Heinola

were you not watching their second innings?

No I didn’t watch it as I was out yesterday,but both tests could’ve gone either way so far,but we’re 2-0 down and I can’t see us winning the ashes from here.
Ashes 2023 on 20:14 - Jul 2 with 2223 viewsthame_hoops

Now Lords have had to issue an apology to the Australians because of the MCC members behaviour and suspended several memberships. I don’t think it’s a great look seeing Warner Square up to a pensioner or Labuschagne laughing on the staircase.
Ashes 2023 on 20:27 - Jul 2 with 2182 viewsMedwayR

Ashes 2023 on 20:14 - Jul 2 by thame_hoops

Now Lords have had to issue an apology to the Australians because of the MCC members behaviour and suspended several memberships. I don’t think it’s a great look seeing Warner Square up to a pensioner or Labuschagne laughing on the staircase.

Funny how the aussies can dish it out but can't take any back. The behaviour of the members wasn't right but neither was the likes of Warner when provoking them, all they had to do was ignore them and walk on. I suspect the aussies were doubling down because they knew they'd made a bad call, same as when they clearly lost their bottle in the field because they'd riled up the crowd and Stokes.

Poll: Who’s better?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 20:37 - Jul 2 with 2163 viewsTGRRRSSS

I would suggest both sides have their share of arseholes, I've always thought that Stuart Broad is a total arsehole, but thats kind of what you want at that level on the pitch ultra competitive no hold barred, especially a "quick"

I don't think De Grandhomme case was much different and yes Stokes captained England in all 3 tests.

Anyway the next test at will be spikey as hell.

Wanna wind up Warner???

SOnny Bill Sonny Bill Sonny Bill will do the trick.
Ashes 2023 on 21:00 - Jul 2 with 2098 viewsMrSheen

Ashes 2023 on 20:37 - Jul 2 by TGRRRSSS

I would suggest both sides have their share of arseholes, I've always thought that Stuart Broad is a total arsehole, but thats kind of what you want at that level on the pitch ultra competitive no hold barred, especially a "quick"

I don't think De Grandhomme case was much different and yes Stokes captained England in all 3 tests.

Wanna wind up Warner???

Grandhomme was struck outside of his ground and ran a few more steps up the pitch. Bairstow touched his foot behind the crease once the ball went through to Carey before going for his chat. Completely different.
Ashes 2023 on 21:01 - Jul 2 with 2091 viewsthame_hoops

Wanna wind up Warner???

RE assholes, Bairstow is actually a bit of a prick and doesn’t usually engage with fans after a game. I was surprised to see him signing autographs for kids the other day.
Ashes 2023 on 21:03 - Jul 2 with 2086 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes 2023 on 21:00 - Jul 2 by MrSheen

Grandhomme was struck outside of his ground and ran a few more steps up the pitch. Bairstow touched his foot behind the crease once the ball went through to Carey before going for his chat. Completely different.

I’m not sure if the TV showed it or talked about it, I stopped watching after it. But I’m sure the umpire reached to get the bowlers cap and the umpire at square leg started walking, from the still frame that I saw, all be it on Twitter
Ashes 2023 on 21:12 - Jul 2 with 2062 viewsTGRRRSSS

I cant find the de gramdhomme case but Sky pointed it out during the lunch interval and showed it once, it's also notable that Carey throws the ball immediately from catching, he didn't wait it was straight away so I cant see how the ball could be "dead" that quickly.

WHat I would say though is that the overall batting from England Stokes and Duckett aside was woeful and it's starting too look a series too far for Anderson.

Big call would you pick him for Headingly?

Not sure I would, starts on Thursday...
Ashes 2023 on 21:29 - Jul 2 with 2029 viewsHooparoo

Wanna wind up Warner???

It’s a shame but I think cricket stopped being a gentleman’s game a long time ago. For what it’s worth, you may be surprised how many Aussies think that Warner and Smith should never be allowed to play international cricket again after their stupid sandpaper stunt.

Also a pity that all the media seem to be focussing on the Bairstow controversy rather than Stokes’ magnificent innings. He’s got big bollox that’s for sure. I thought he was going to do it the way he was hitting them. Certainly didn’t deserve to be on the losing side.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 21:53 - Jul 2 with 1958 viewsnumptydumpty

Foakes I would pick.

Bairstow has been out of form as has Brooks, Pope and Crawley.

Stokes tends to be incredibly loyal although can't see Broad and Anderson starting together ever again.

Woakes for either would have been a safe choice and he adds to the batting also. As a Surrey fan also, I am great advocate for Will Jacks getting a chance.

Not sure that the same eleven again is wise but it's entirely possible that could still be the case.

Small margins indeed !!
[Post edited 2 Jul 2023 21:54]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Ashes 2023 on 22:10 - Jul 2 with 1904 viewsqpr1976

Ashes 2023 on 17:24 - Jul 2 by robith

I suggest you rewatch that. Grandhomme clearly attempts to start a run and realises he doesn't know where the ball is and bricks it. I don't think they're comparable

I have rewatched it, they showed it today.
Grandhomme is out of his crease, the stumps are broken. He’s out.

The only difference is he was officially recorded as run out, not stumped, mainly because it was Pope/slip that broke the stumps not a wk.

Bottom line is the ball was not dead, so Bairstow only has himself to blame. Most ground their bat and keep it grounded until the ball is dead. Not just tap his foot and go for a wander. It’s not like Carey didn’t see him do it at least twice before.

So I believe it is comparable.
Ashes 2023 on 23:18 - Jul 2 with 1799 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 21:53 - Jul 2 by numptydumpty

Foakes I would pick.

Bairstow has been out of form as has Brooks, Pope and Crawley.

Stokes tends to be incredibly loyal although can't see Broad and Anderson starting together ever again.

Woakes for either would have been a safe choice and he adds to the batting also. As a Surrey fan also, I am great advocate for Will Jacks getting a chance.

Not sure that the same eleven again is wise but it's entirely possible that could still be the case.

Small margins indeed !!
[Post edited 2 Jul 2023 21:54]

The batting line up won't change unless there's an injury.

I'd argue not a single batter is 'out of form' - except maybe Pope feeling for it a bit.

England run scores so far:

Crawley: 61, 7, 48, 3
Duckett: 12, 19, 98, 83
Pope: 31, 14, 42, 3
Root: 118*, 46, 10, 18
Brook: 32, 46, 50, 4
Stokes: 1, 43, 17, 155
Bairstow, 78, 20, 16, 10

The entire top 7 has had at least one half century each in 4 innings, other than Pope. No one is getting dropped from that.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 23:48 - Jul 2 with 1761 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 15:08 - Jul 2 by Hooparoo

Bairstow is an idiot. How does that make Carey a cheat? If you hate Aussies so much why do you live here?

Fortunately most Aussies are not like their cricket players.
Ashes 2023 on 23:57 - Jul 2 with 1745 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 15:36 - Jul 2 by Hooparoo

Thanks mate for your charming response. Just remember the only reason we are even on this forum is because we’re all QPR so maybe think about that before you insult a fellow R

Maybe don't wind people up with that stupid bazball comment then.
Ashes 2023 on 00:28 - Jul 3 with 1712 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 23:57 - Jul 2 by SydneyRs

Maybe don't wind people up with that stupid bazball comment then.

Peace brother, was just meant to be a bit of banter mate. Harry Brooks et al were giving it large before the first test about how they were going to steamroll us with their new revolutionary tactics. Of course, no one sees the irony that this is the way Australia and NZ have been playing for years. Personally, I think England should keep playing this way as the series is far from over.

For the record, I think that most of our team are knobs but they play for the national team so I’ll support them (sometimes grudgingly). Don’t mistake my patriotism for any kind of ringing endorsement of each of them individually.

Enjoy your Monday in beautiful Sydney.

Peace out ✌️

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 05:53 - Jul 3 with 1634 viewsconnell10

Blimey can't wait for the football season to start!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ashes 2023 on 08:09 - Jul 3 with 2058 viewsTGRRRSSS

I would also suggest the Umpires are partly too blame here (Stokes infers this) somehow it appears different as the last ball of the over.

It seems maybe a grey arear between how quickly a ball goes dead especially when collected by the wicketkeeper.

Ultimately Bairstow does go for a wonder and in this instance surely part of the concentration the batsman requires is to be sure a ball is dead, when we played at school (to no level) the teacher went on about being in your wicket and not wondering off.

How is it a top professional at that level can not manage this. I'd say it's different to a Mankad as Carey throws immediately making it a stumping, I'd imagine it's very rare in the extreme for a quick to get a wicket via stumping.

Bairstow did same thing on day 3 but missed and the Australian (Labuschagne was in crease)

Just seen that on Sky Sports.
Ashes 2023 on 08:14 - Jul 3 with 2027 viewsJamesB1979

Ashes 2023 on 08:09 - Jul 3 by TGRRRSSS

I would also suggest the Umpires are partly too blame here (Stokes infers this) somehow it appears different as the last ball of the over.

It seems maybe a grey arear between how quickly a ball goes dead especially when collected by the wicketkeeper.

Ultimately Bairstow does go for a wonder and in this instance surely part of the concentration the batsman requires is to be sure a ball is dead, when we played at school (to no level) the teacher went on about being in your wicket and not wondering off.

How is it a top professional at that level can not manage this. I'd say it's different to a Mankad as Carey throws immediately making it a stumping, I'd imagine it's very rare in the extreme for a quick to get a wicket via stumping.

Bairstow did same thing on day 3 but missed and the Australian (Labuschagne was in crease)

Just seen that on Sky Sports.

I don’t blame Carey for throwing the ball. But 1) Bairstow went back to his crease and marked his guard 2) it was end of the over 3) he looked up at umpire 4) he walked towards Stokes (as end of over) who had back turned. They shouldn’t have appealed or should have over-turned their appeal. They would have won anyway. They’re a much better side than us. All this has done has piss most of us off. Despite what they may say, they will be remembered for this at end of their careers.
Ashes 2023 on 08:29 - Jul 3 with 2003 viewsTGRRRSSS

Which goes back to the point of the end of the over and the blame of the Umpires - maybe cricket needs to bri8ng in something that makes it clear the over is dead but like everything will still be umpires call, if a ball is his away at 3 runs our ran or there is an overthrow (does happen) then the ball will be live far longer than the standard WK collects ball.

Bairstow did the same on day 3 it shows (Sky Sports) but missed (who knows if deliberate).

Reminds me a bit of the thing in football now about "feeling contact" in the box and how the pundits often defend it when convenient.

Funny game in a way you are able to essentially throw a ball at 90 mph at a players body with no intention of hitting the stumps but it's part of the game yet this is against the spirit.

Headingly being Headingly anyway will be even more unwelcoming.
Ashes 2023 on 08:36 - Jul 3 with 1992 viewsrobith

Have tickets for day 4 at Headingley. I'm bringing a pictchfork

Get yer hands off our flies, Cummins
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024