Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 91536 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 22:32 - Jun 29 with 2111 viewsHooparoo

Pretty evenly poised I would say. Losing Lyon is a blow but Smith actually started his career as a leg spinner and Usman Khawaja can bowl off spin.

Another close contest

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 22:45 - Jun 29 with 2088 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 21:48 - Jun 29 by Malintabuk

Just got home from Lords... and to say I'm spitting feathers is an understatement. It's bad enough having to support our club but this... unbelievable
We fight back in the morning and reach 180 odd for 1, the one wicket from Lyons again an opener stumped!!!!
He limps off... and the Aussie throw on the cart horse Green... and we throw it away... Jesus wept
Duckett, Pope and of all people Root.... brain farts.... then Brook who is so lucky to still be there after being dropped on ... yes another short ball....
What on earth is going on..... bazzball... more like moronball.
Duckett 2 short of a Lords century in an Ashes game.... how might he look back on that one day. Root words fail me...a class act playing T20 in a test match.... and Brook well... he actually steps leg side to Starc .... 90 mph short ball to do...well not entirely sure
We had them... and we let it go....
We may well go on to win this now Lyon is out but it will be more by good fortune than bazball
Give these Aussies some respect.... and play them as it should be... when your on top play test match cricket and grind them down
Rant nearly over

England have always given away wickets with daft shots, not sure it was due to bazball today just they fell for a trap, the Root one was very unlucky as looked like it hit the ground.

Kevin Pieterson moaning about it was hilarious given how often he would get out and just say that's the way I play

England have got themself back into this game playing this way, not that long ago they were struggling to make 250 in an innings, now we're only 4 down and on 278 with some batting still to come
Ashes 2023 on 22:50 - Jun 29 with 2075 viewsMrSheen

Ashes 2023 on 22:32 - Jun 29 by Hooparoo

Pretty evenly poised I would say. Losing Lyon is a blow but Smith actually started his career as a leg spinner and Usman Khawaja can bowl off spin.

Another close contest

Lords is unusual in that the surface tends to get easier rather than more treacherous as time goes on. There have been some big winning 4th innings totals recently. Losing Lyon is massive (if confirmed).
Ashes 2023 on 05:23 - Jun 30 with 1961 viewsozexile

Ashes 2023 on 21:48 - Jun 29 by Malintabuk

Just got home from Lords... and to say I'm spitting feathers is an understatement. It's bad enough having to support our club but this... unbelievable
We fight back in the morning and reach 180 odd for 1, the one wicket from Lyons again an opener stumped!!!!
He limps off... and the Aussie throw on the cart horse Green... and we throw it away... Jesus wept
Duckett, Pope and of all people Root.... brain farts.... then Brook who is so lucky to still be there after being dropped on ... yes another short ball....
What on earth is going on..... bazzball... more like moronball.
Duckett 2 short of a Lords century in an Ashes game.... how might he look back on that one day. Root words fail me...a class act playing T20 in a test match.... and Brook well... he actually steps leg side to Starc .... 90 mph short ball to do...well not entirely sure
We had them... and we let it go....
We may well go on to win this now Lyon is out but it will be more by good fortune than bazball
Give these Aussies some respect.... and play them as it should be... when your on top play test match cricket and grind them down
Rant nearly over

100% agree with you. It's ok going for entertaining the crowd and being positive but you have to respect the opposition you're facing. This is the equivalent of playing rush goalie in the play off final.
Ashes 2023 on 07:41 - Jun 30 with 1873 viewsMrSheen

I like the suggestion from Australian fans online that Lyon is actually suffering from concussion. Who knew Peterborough had so many fans there?
Ashes 2023 on 11:03 - Jun 30 with 1739 viewsMrSheen

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Ashes 2023 on 11:39 - Jun 30 with 1703 viewsNov77

Utterly brainless from Brook again.

Thinks it’s a T20 game.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 11:44 - Jun 30 with 1695 viewsDieByYourSide

Suicidal stuff.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 11:51 - Jun 30 with 1680 viewsdenhamhoop2

This is as brainless a display of batting as you will ever see Attack Attack Attack is fine and well but try playing the situation from time to time. The problem is the whole macho this is the way we play and Plan A Bazball had a row with a mate in the pub last night where he said it's so exciting well how exciting is it to lose an Ashes 5 0 at home. When you have the Aussies down keep your foot on there throat don't let them up or else at your own peril
Ashes 2023 on 11:56 - Jun 30 with 1661 viewsNov77

They read out a stat saying England attacked 83% of short pitched deliveries in that mad hour yesterday, with the field set the way it was it could only end in one way. Root had already had an escape caught pulling but it was a no ball, so what does he do? Pull again and get caught.

They’re good enough to beat this Aussie team without throwing their wickets away.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 12:07 - Jun 30 with 1631 viewsflynnbo

Ridiculous batting. The aim is to win Test matches but the Aussies have found us out.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 12:11]
Ashes 2023 on 12:07 - Jun 30 with 1628 viewsHayesender

This is brain dead batting from England

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ashes 2023 on 12:10 - Jun 30 with 1609 viewsRangersw12

Throwing away the Ashes
Ashes 2023 on 12:12 - Jun 30 with 1592 viewsthame_hoops

Without repeating what others have said here, and in the media, I just do not understand how England can be so brainless. When the field is set for short pitch bowling, and you keep falling for the same trap over and over again. I just don’t understand. You know what ball is coming, and they aren’t even fast bouncers. The ball that got Harry Brook this morning was a slow long hop bouncer if that is such a thing. Crazy
Ashes 2023 on 12:14 - Jun 30 with 1593 viewsNov77

How many of our batsmen have been out to good deliveries in this innings? I can’t think of one. Each wicket thrown away.

Ashes 2023 on 12:15 - Jun 30 with 1585 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes 2023 on 12:14 - Jun 30 by Nov77

How many of our batsmen have been out to good deliveries in this innings? I can’t think of one. Each wicket thrown away.

Stokes got a good ball, he was playing sensibly
Ashes 2023 on 12:23 - Jun 30 with 1564 viewsflynnbo

Maybe England have made other plans for Sunday.
Ashes 2023 on 12:31 - Jun 30 with 1541 viewsCamberleyR

I'll say it now, a lead of 90 there's no way back. They'll bat us out of the game, 2-0 down and the Ashes gone for another 18 months

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes 2023 on 12:39 - Jun 30 with 1505 viewsted_hendrix

Maybe we're not as good as we think we are? or we keep getting told we are.

The ashes are now history.

Ridiculous really.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 13:02 - Jun 30 with 1445 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 12:39 - Jun 30 by ted_hendrix

Maybe we're not as good as we think we are? or we keep getting told we are.

The ashes are now history.

Ridiculous really.

Well, most people said we'd get hammered before the series, so... how good do we think we are exactly?

Going to be unbelievable when we win this series 3-2 though!

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 13:05 - Jun 30 with 1434 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 13:02 - Jun 30 by Antti_Heinola

Well, most people said we'd get hammered before the series, so... how good do we think we are exactly?

I admire your optimism, Antii, and in fact even if we go 2 down we have proved in both Tests that we can beat them.

Just add a bit of common sense to Bazball batting and we will be OK. I know it's the old if it had gone for 6, would have been a great shot, but that is when you hit that shot on a one-off basis. Whatever Brook was trying to do actually made him look like a No.11, very bizarre.

Only Stokes and Tongue were got out and that can't work.
Ashes 2023 on 13:10 - Jun 30 with 1412 viewsRangersw12

Ashes 2023 on 13:02 - Jun 30 by Antti_Heinola

More of chance of QPR winning the league than us winning this 3-2
Ashes 2023 on 13:36 - Jun 30 with 1365 viewsR_from_afar

Ashes 2023 on 12:12 - Jun 30 by thame_hoops

Without repeating what others have said here, and in the media, I just do not understand how England can be so brainless. When the field is set for short pitch bowling, and you keep falling for the same trap over and over again. I just don’t understand. You know what ball is coming, and they aren’t even fast bouncers. The ball that got Harry Brook this morning was a slow long hop bouncer if that is such a thing. Crazy

Boycott's face in the clip where Brook holes out!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/64959131?ns_mchannel=social&ns_sour

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ashes 2023 on 14:30 - Jun 30 with 1291 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 13:05 - Jun 30 by GaryBannister86

I admire your optimism, Antii, and in fact even if we go 2 down we have proved in both Tests that we can beat them.

Just add a bit of common sense to Bazball batting and we will be OK. I know it's the old if it had gone for 6, would have been a great shot, but that is when you hit that shot on a one-off basis. Whatever Brook was trying to do actually made him look like a No.11, very bizarre.

Only Stokes and Tongue were got out and that can't work.

When we played so well last year and in Pakistan there was a fair bit of common sense in how we batted, very aggressive but when under pressure see through those tough spells. We've been a bit brain dead at times so far in the ashes not really reading the situation

Although should say England having a batting collapse is not a new thing, we've done it in every ashes series I can remember
Ashes 2023 on 15:10 - Jun 30 with 1227 viewsconnell10

We gotta a wicket. bazball rules

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024