Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dog owners. 21:36 - Sep 11 with 23188 viewsqpr_1968

what is your view on this latest attack on 3 people.

not a dog owner myself....

but this seems pretty bad.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Dog owners. (n/t) on 21:25 - Sep 15 with 2383 viewsjoe90

Dog owners. on 10:37 - Sep 13 by PunteR

Well, for a start I don't revel in the negativity.
It's hard work but any dog owner will say the same or should.
I got a bully because I thought its a great dog to have. I preferred the look of a short haired bull breed dog. I've wanted an English Bull dog for years but their health problems and short life span put me off getting one. My mate has a blue staffy and I absolutely adored her, so I nearly got a staff , then I started to look into the American Bullys and read lots of positive things. We wanted a loving, loyal companion for our family.
What do you want me to say..?
I got one because I think it makes me look hard, everyone will be scared of us, and I can bowl about town looking like a Don.. ?

[Post edited 15 Sep 2023 21:46]
Dog owners. (n/t) on 22:03 - Sep 15 with 2317 viewsPunteR

Dog owners. (n/t) on 21:25 - Sep 15 by joe90

[Post edited 15 Sep 2023 21:46]

Go on..?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Dog owners. on 22:22 - Sep 15 with 2284 viewsLblock

With todays further bad news (on all sides) I thought I’d just dip in after listening to some jolly good music on RFM

Lots to disagree with but what absolutely shocks me, rocks me to my core and has me questioning if I’ve slipped through a crack in reality to a parallel universe is….. every single one of Ranger Things posts here I wholeheartedly agree with!!!!!

Anyway

My heart goes out to anyone attacked by any dog but also it goes out massively to the countless decent folk who own bull breeds who will be climbing the walls.
I get the posts about fur babies being cringe etc etc but let me tell you this — to many of us these dogs of ours are family, close family at that.
My dogs have seen me through some proper tough times and continue to do so.
I lost a dog in a trillion in November last year after 14 happy years and I still grieve for her. If losing a child hurts more than hurt me then God help those who have and do.

If any Government dick wants to try and take my dogs off me now or in the future then I can only wish them luck at trying

And with that I really must leave this thread

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dog owners. on 22:45 - Sep 15 with 2247 viewswombat

Dog owners. on 22:22 - Sep 15 by Lblock

With todays further bad news (on all sides) I thought I’d just dip in after listening to some jolly good music on RFM

Lots to disagree with but what absolutely shocks me, rocks me to my core and has me questioning if I’ve slipped through a crack in reality to a parallel universe is….. every single one of Ranger Things posts here I wholeheartedly agree with!!!!!

Anyway

My heart goes out to anyone attacked by any dog but also it goes out massively to the countless decent folk who own bull breeds who will be climbing the walls.
I get the posts about fur babies being cringe etc etc but let me tell you this — to many of us these dogs of ours are family, close family at that.
I lost a dog in a trillion in November last year after 14 happy years and I still grieve for her. If losing a child hurts more than hurt me then God help those who have and do.

If any Government dick wants to try and take my dogs off me now or in the future then I can only wish them luck at trying

Not sure if the rules are the same now but it used to be a generic rule
Shape of dog weight of dog
And as somebody said it may look like a so so it’s guilty , dogs gets taken away from owner stuck in a kennel for a year or so the goes to court , by that time the dogs which was utterly harmless is now stressed out of its mind and pretty much broken and ends up being put down as the kennell can’t handle it . Issues at the moment if they are going to round up slow bully’s were they going to house them ? Kennels are bursting point with dogs who idiots got during lock down which they ever wanted and not defo don’t want .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Dog owners. on 00:23 - Sep 16 with 2200 viewsPunteR

Dog owners. on 22:22 - Sep 15 by Lblock

Anyway

This thread is made up of people who dont own a dog, dont like dogs, arrogant c@nts, cat lovers, and general fukwits that dont have a clue, plus a handful of genuine dog people that are showing a bit of empathy to the situation.
Im in a shit situation atm and made to feel like a bit of an outcast tbh. Might sound dramatic, but thats how we feel.
I had my oldest son phoning me from work today saying "have you seen the news, whats gonna happen?.". my sister who hates dogs phoning my missus saying sorry but have you seen the news? Neighbours saying they will back us up , and im like wtf. !

As always there will be a middle ground here and im happy to follow any regulations that will be put in place but we'll see.
I actually think there's a misguided class war going on a bit here, from both sides.
Shall we start properly talking about death rates in humans , the causes?
Every 16 minutes someone is killed or seriously injured on UK roads.
In London there was 12,786 stabbings.
Murders in the UK and Wales through knife crime last year -282
Please let me know if im geting these stats wrong. Blame google if i am.
Some bright spark could do the maths but in my eyes you're probably more likely to get stabbed or die in a car crash then get mauled by an XL Bully.
But yeh, let put that whole breed down because it makes society feel safer ..
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 7:19]

Dog owners. on 01:09 - Sep 16 with 2150 viewsBoston

No Blacks, No Irish...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dog owners. on 07:49 - Sep 16 with 2047 viewsJamesB1979

Dog owners. on 00:23 - Sep 16 by PunteR

This thread is made up of people who dont own a dog, dont like dogs, arrogant c@nts, cat lovers, and general fukwits that dont have a clue, plus a handful of genuine dog people that are showing a bit of empathy to the situation.
Im in a shit situation atm and made to feel like a bit of an outcast tbh. Might sound dramatic, but thats how we feel.
I had my oldest son phoning me from work today saying "have you seen the news, whats gonna happen?.". my sister who hates dogs phoning my missus saying sorry but have you seen the news? Neighbours saying they will back us up , and im like wtf. !

As always there will be a middle ground here and im happy to follow any regulations that will be put in place but we'll see.
I actually think there's a misguided class war going on a bit here, from both sides.
Shall we start properly talking about death rates in humans , the causes?
Every 16 minutes someone is killed or seriously injured on UK roads.
In London there was 12,786 stabbings.
Murders in the UK and Wales through knife crime last year -282
Please let me know if im geting these stats wrong. Blame google if i am.
Some bright spark could do the maths but in my eyes you're probably more likely to get stabbed or die in a car crash then get mauled by an XL Bully.
But yeh, let put that whole breed down because it makes society feel safer ..
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 7:19]

I only posted a couple of times on here and I’m a dog owner.

I was against a ban, I think I still am. Though I have to say I changed my view a little bit because I didn’t realise how few of these dogs are out there. Less than 1% sounds tiny. Especially when you compare to incidents.

Two things do piss me off though, there’s certain posts (not from you I might add) which do gloss over the fact that someone has been killed here. Also the existing dogs, like yours, won’t be taken off you and other owners. People can keep their dogs. People just can’t go out and own new ones from next year. That’s my understanding of how it will work. So posts about taking members of family is just nonsense.

As for government. Labour took the same decision earlier (no surprise there) than the Tories. When Labour get in, this would have happened I’m afraid. It’s just a matter of time.

I can understand to an extent, your frustrations, but your dogs will stay with you. If people react a certain way, then f.uck them. So when your dogs die, like mine will, and you want another one, is that bad to pick a different breed?

On what I think should be done or should have been done, I think training and more regulation for owners of dogs over a certain weight. Certain people shouldn’t be allowed to own a dog…….though I think certain people shouldn’t be allowed to have a kid either. Also it’s the breeding though, so you’d have to ensure you can only buy from regulated sellers.
Dog owners. on 08:24 - Sep 16 with 2024 viewsstevec

What I don’t get is, why not just get a pretty dog?

There are plenty of dogs that look nice and are nice, get one of them.

When you’re on a night out, you look for pretty girls. You don’t think ‘ooh that’s a bit rough, I must go out with that’. Or at least I didn’t. Perhaps some people like that sort of thing.

I genuinely don’t get it.
Login to get fewer ads

Dog owners. on 08:33 - Sep 16 with 2015 viewsJamesB1979

Dog owners. on 08:24 - Sep 16 by stevec

When you’re on a night out, you look for pretty girls. You don’t think ‘ooh that’s a bit rough, I must go out with that’. Or at least I didn’t. Perhaps some people like that sort of thing.

There are a lot of other dog breeds that are really ugly in my view. My wife really likes the look of the xl bully (we don’t own one). People just have different tastes. That’s life and it’s all the better for that fact.
Dog owners. on 08:36 - Sep 16 with 2011 viewsstevec

Actually, anyone still standing up for these dogs, perhaps tune in to the BBC news right now and see the poor little kid whose face was half torn off.
Dog owners. on 08:39 - Sep 16 with 2005 viewsPunteR

Dog owners. on 07:49 - Sep 16 by JamesB1979

I only posted a couple of times on here and I’m a dog owner.

I was against a ban, I think I still am. Though I have to say I changed my view a little bit because I didn’t realise how few of these dogs are out there. Less than 1% sounds tiny. Especially when you compare to incidents.

Two things do piss me off though, there’s certain posts (not from you I might add) which do gloss over the fact that someone has been killed here. Also the existing dogs, like yours, won’t be taken off you and other owners. People can keep their dogs. People just can’t go out and own new ones from next year. That’s my understanding of how it will work. So posts about taking members of family is just nonsense.

As for government. Labour took the same decision earlier (no surprise there) than the Tories. When Labour get in, this would have happened I’m afraid. It’s just a matter of time.

I can understand to an extent, your frustrations, but your dogs will stay with you. If people react a certain way, then f.uck them. So when your dogs die, like mine will, and you want another one, is that bad to pick a different breed?

On what I think should be done or should have been done, I think training and more regulation for owners of dogs over a certain weight. Certain people shouldn’t be allowed to own a dog…….though I think certain people shouldn’t be allowed to have a kid either. Also it’s the breeding though, so you’d have to ensure you can only buy from regulated sellers.

As you can tell mate I was in a pretty shit mood last night and yeah really frustrated by the whole thing..
As I mentioned before we get mixed reactions when people see our dogs, but probably more positive than negative.
You can clearly see just from reading this thread that people react to news like this and not in a good way.. As Chuck D said.." don't believe the hype"
I'm fully aware of the potential dangers of owning a dog of Murphys size and physical attributes and I'm not the only one. We have 5 Bullys on our estate and all are walked on the lead and not a danger to anyone.
I think you are right about what the government will do as I can't see some massive cull of Bullys happening, that would be horrific. But stopping the import of these breeds from America will probably happen and breeders in the UK will be stopped and that's not a bad thing.
As I've stated a few times here, I haven't got a problem with stricter regulations at all.
I've taken issue with some of the reactions on here and around me and the whole media hype which just sabbotages everything me and other Bully owners try and do.
They're dogs same as any other but with the obvious physicality .
Anyway... its Saturday. Time to chill.

Dog owners. on 08:53 - Sep 16 with 1984 viewswestberksr

blimey; not really sure where to start with this.

all people like different things; whether it be opposite sex, cars, art, food. music, clothes etc etc

why should our preference in dogs be any different or defined by what someone else defines as 'pretty'

given the serious nature of this thread my mind boggles at this comment as a potential solution

..... and there are plenty of 'pretty' dogs that have bitten and maimed people too; just as my 2 extremely pretty ex wives turned out to be farkin mental (they may say the same about me)
Dog owners. on 09:14 - Sep 16 with 1960 viewsHastings_Hoops

Dog owners. on 21:56 - Sep 11 by Lblock

No matter the size or the breed, after attacks such as this people still continue to look at the wrong end of the lead.

The most common dog "bites" against human are by which breed?
Mad I know but it's the Labrador.
Yep... loveable, loyal and usually totally obedient Labs; of which I had three but now sadly only two.
Reason? There's just so many of 'em!!! That's the numbers game.

Bull breed attacks as a percentage are quite common and pretty savage when they happen.
Reason?
Almost 99.99% of the time is down to the owners of the attacking dog(s) are total dickheads and these dogs are powerful, proper powerful.

I know plenty of bull breed owners who are absolutely spot on and 100% do not have their dogs to strike fear into others, giving it Billy Large Gnads and their dogs are a credit to them. Likewise I know plenty of owners of other breeds who are a bit clueless about how they go about dog ownership for Spaniels, Huskies, Ridgies, Jack Russells, Pugs etc - my wife comes across them all the time in her part time role as K9 trainer. These people have done zero research into if a breed is right for them or if they are cut out to look after an intelligent, living and breathing thing.
Boils my pi$$!

You need to pass a driving test to drive a car, a test to ride a bike and have all sorts of permits to own a gun.
Yet in this country you can buy or breed dogs with little to no regulation. Mad

(Mind you -- I'd also include the unfettered ability of dickheads to breed more dickheads but that's a slightly different topic... sort of)
[Post edited 11 Sep 2023 21:58]

You’ve covered the main point here… dangerous owners are attracted to dangerous dogs. It’s not easy to control dangerous owners in possession of a dangerous dog. Next best thing - take dangerous dogs out of the equation my making ownership illegal.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 9:57]
Dog owners. on 09:35 - Sep 16 with 1919 viewsKonk

The problem with that comparison is that most people aren’t hoping to have sex with their dogs, are they?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Dog owners. on 13:03 - Sep 16 with 1771 viewscolinallcars

Dog owners. on 09:35 - Sep 16 by Konk

The problem with that comparison is that most people aren’t hoping to have sex with their dogs, are they?

I studied animal husbandry for three years but one day that caught me at it, so I became a motor mechanic.
Dog owners. on 01:56 - Dec 31 with 1275 viewsPunteR

Thought i would drag this thread up again.

Ive been pretty chilled about the whole thing really , ive done everything that has been required, Obviously not taking the governments filthy £200 to put my dog down.
Last week got my XL Bully neutered , Muzzle on ,etc, already was chipped . We still need to register but we dont have to do that till Jan 31st.
Well my dog is now ill from the op, being sick and shitting blood. Went back to the vets and it could be a stomach ulcer caused by the medication from the neutering op. I've just had to pay another £130 for the vets to tell me that. Plus more meds and a number for another vet practice that are open 24 hrs over the new years holiday. Great.
Just been informed today from my pet insurance they no longer insure XL Bullys. All comparison insurances wont now.
That's a hammer blow.
Also.. which is another kick in the teeth , the fields we hire to allow my dog to run around off the lead wont allow XL Bullys. This blows my mind considering the whole point of this "dog friendly" company that hires out theses fields do so especially for dogs with behavioural issues. Its enclosed, secure and secluded. No one else is suppose to be in the field.
How is this fair and legal?
We are now waiting for our holiday in Cornwall to get back to us to confirm if we can still take our dogs there. Was supposed to be dog friendly , with an enclosed garden.

I'm gutted.

This is discrimination. No other word for it really
I'm pretty well f@cked now with a 3 year old American XL Bully that i cant take anywhere and is not insured. Im just hoping my landlord doesnt jump on the bandwagon and tell me we cant live here anymore.

So to everyone that showed support on this thread, just wanted to say thanks and i hope the support for XL Bullys and owners continues..
To all those LFW posters that didnt and possibly signed that petition ..well...., i really hope i dont see you down Loftus Road!
Thats all i have to say really. What else can i say ?
[Post edited 31 Dec 2023 8:03]

Dog owners. on 02:42 - Dec 31 with 1237 viewsBoston

Dog owners. on 01:56 - Dec 31 by PunteR

Ive been pretty chilled about the whole thing really , ive done everything that has been required, Obviously not taking the governments filthy £200 to put my dog down.
Last week got my XL Bully neutered , Muzzle on ,etc, already was chipped . We still need to register but we dont have to do that till Jan 31st.
Well my dog is now ill from the op, being sick and shitting blood. Went back to the vets and it could be a stomach ulcer caused by the medication from the neutering op. I've just had to pay another £130 for the vets to tell me that. Plus more meds and a number for another vet practice that are open 24 hrs over the new years holiday. Great.
Just been informed today from my pet insurance they no longer insure XL Bullys. All comparison insurances wont now.
That's a hammer blow.
Also.. which is another kick in the teeth , the fields we hire to allow my dog to run around off the lead wont allow XL Bullys. This blows my mind considering the whole point of this "dog friendly" company that hires out theses fields do so especially for dogs with behavioural issues. Its enclosed, secure and secluded. No one else is suppose to be in the field.
We are now waiting for our holiday in Cornwall to get back to us to confirm if we can still take our dogs there. Was supposed to be dog friendly , with an enclosed garden.

I'm gutted.

I'm pretty well f@cked now with a 3 year old American XL Bully that i cant take anywhere and is not insured. Im just hoping my landlord doesnt jump on the bandwagon and tell me we cant live here anymore.

So to everyone that showed support on this thread, just wanted to say thanks and i hope the support for XL Bullys and owners continues..
To all those LFW posters that didnt and possibly signed that petition ..well...., i really hope i dont see you down Loftus Road!

You're barking mad.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dog owners. on 07:46 - Dec 31 with 1166 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

That's a hammer blow.

I'm gutted.

That you have to hire a securely enclosed field for dogs with behavioural issues, makes the point as to why they've been banned.
The reason they have stopped allowing XLs, and your holiday destination may not allow it, is I imagine, an insurance issue.
Dog owners. on 08:05 - Dec 31 with 1141 viewsPunteR

Dog owners. on 07:46 - Dec 31 by Wilkinswatercarrier

That you have to hire a securely enclosed field for dogs with behavioural issues, makes the point as to why they've been banned.
The reason they have stopped allowing XLs, and your holiday destination may not allow it, is I imagine, an insurance issue.

Do you reckon..? Well done mate

Dog owners. on 08:26 - Dec 31 with 1112 viewsPunteR

Can I just add to wilkings water carriers smart arsed response . The local company hires the fields for all dogs and dog walkers so they can enjoy letting their dog off the lead. My dogs behaviour issues is their recall isn't very good and my pocket Bully not my XL has anxiety around other dogs. We rescued her. They are not a danger to the public.
And yes the reason is probably an insurance thing which still doesn't make it right in my eyes. Considering the point of those fields was to be isolated from everybody and their dogs. They are fully enclosed ,with code locks on the gate and have to be pre booked.
As I've said before I'm still entitled to own an XL as long as I abide by the new regulations, which I have. The insurance companies have let me down amongst others.
Another brilliant piece of legislation by the government.

Dog owners. on 08:26 - Dec 31 with 1111 viewsLblock

You’ve included one word there which encapsulates the whole thing - “dogs”

Any dog can have a behavioural issue
Any dog, no matter how small or large, can do damage

I’m not going to argue that XL’s aren’t at the top of the scale should the unthinkable happen but the fact is they’re the meejah w@nkers current newsplash

I cannot fathom why a secured field would take this action! Returning to my point - there is no difference in an XL bully or a Labrador with any issues using this field. Can we also clarify, as a dog owner, that a “behaviour issue” doesn’t mean the dog is a rabid nutter; it can, in fact, mean the dog has recall issues, doesn’t get on with other dogs or all manner of other things.

The insurance issue is another kicker - can only again be meejah balls spooking the risk profilers.
I’m sure someone will underwrite it but clearly premiums will be massive

Good luck with it all Punts….. stay strong for your dogs and hope he’s well soon

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dog owners. on 09:33 - Dec 31 with 1012 viewsessextaxiboy

Thats not strictly true , my son hires such a field . He has a rescue Springer Spaniel who he fears would just fck off and not come back if he was let off anywhere else . They are not to protect non dog owners .
Dog owners. on 10:08 - Dec 31 with 978 viewsGus_iom

Dog owners. on 08:05 - Dec 31 by PunteR

PunteR, not keen on that breed of dog myself, my dog having been attacked by a related breed, but I respect the measures you have taken and hope that the owner of the secure field sees common sense, it's totally counterintuitive.
Dog owners. on 10:10 - Dec 31 with 967 viewsRangersw12

Dog owners. on 08:05 - Dec 31 by PunteR

I take my dog (Beagle ) to an enclosed field with no other dogs and it's nothing to do with behaviour.

It's actually nice to allow your dog to run around without any hassle from other dogs or idiot owners

The fact these people have now withdrew that service for some dogs is a disgrace as you don't see any other dogs whilst your there anyway so the breed shouldn't make a difference
Dog owners. on 10:18 - Dec 31 with 945 viewsRangersw12

That's a hammer blow.

I'm gutted.

Outrageous from the insurance companies and the field owners . It might be worth seeing if there any owner groups online to see what iver owners are doing ?

Feel for you mate and keep your chin up
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024