Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang 22:41 - Sep 19 with 5199 viewsBarrySwan

Nows the time before the political class create another 36 posts down the Bay of Plenty

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/643987
Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 17:30 - Sep 21 with 3084 viewsKilkennyjack

Why should Wales be ruled by Englands dreadful Torys…?

That would be akin to Russia making decisions for Ukraine.
The bully taunts the brave.

Beware of the Risen People

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 17:49 - Sep 21 with 3073 viewsWhiterockin

It will be interesting to see if this gets the 100,000 signatures required for a debate in Westminster. Personally I doubt it, unless it gets the publicity on the news similar to the other petition.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 17:53 - Sep 21 with 3061 viewsBadgeman

Good time to remind people that since devolution we’ve had two referendums affirming and enhancing the institution, no politician has ever been elected to the Senedd on an abolitionist platform, and the 7 elected politicians who changed their view to abolitionism all lost their seats at the last election. Also worth noting that Plaid and Labour both campaigned on expanding the Senedd in 2021 and increased their number of seats.

Abolitionists cry and moan but have been handily defeated at every election thus far. Have you tried campaigning and winning an election instead lads?

Remember that conservatives will gladly abandon democracy before they abandon conservatism.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 17:56]

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 17:58 - Sep 21 with 3046 viewsWhiterockin

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 17:53 - Sep 21 by Badgeman

Good time to remind people that since devolution we’ve had two referendums affirming and enhancing the institution, no politician has ever been elected to the Senedd on an abolitionist platform, and the 7 elected politicians who changed their view to abolitionism all lost their seats at the last election. Also worth noting that Plaid and Labour both campaigned on expanding the Senedd in 2021 and increased their number of seats.

Abolitionists cry and moan but have been handily defeated at every election thus far. Have you tried campaigning and winning an election instead lads?

Remember that conservatives will gladly abandon democracy before they abandon conservatism.

If that's the case what is there for the Senedd to worry about.

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:09 - Sep 21 with 3010 viewsBadgeman

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 17:58 - Sep 21 by Whiterockin

If that's the case what is there for the Senedd to worry about.

At this stage, absolutely nothing. The kind of mouth breathers who run the campaign to abolish the Senedd couldn’t run a bath.

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:15 - Sep 21 with 3006 viewsBoundy

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:09 - Sep 21 by Badgeman

At this stage, absolutely nothing. The kind of mouth breathers who run the campaign to abolish the Senedd couldn’t run a bath.

and you know that to be true ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:16 - Sep 21 with 3008 viewsSullutaCreturned

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 17:53 - Sep 21 by Badgeman

Yeah the last referendum had a 35% turnout. No election has ever managed even a 50% turnout. A lot of people in Wales don't care about the Senedd it's just a shame they don't reflect their feelings by voting.

This is why we need change, someone new to vote for because if the tories are the only other option then what's the point in voting?

We hadn't even had a year of brexit and remainers were crying and moaning we should have a re-run. Well 20 years plus of the Senedd/WAG/Assembly so why not give us a say?

If the conservatives abandoned conservatism then they wouldn't be conservatives...make sense?
Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:18 - Sep 21 with 3006 viewsSullutaCreturned

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 17:30 - Sep 21 by Kilkennyjack

Well Wales should be ruled by whoever the majority wants. That's democracy for you.
Login to get fewer ads

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:30 - Sep 21 with 2987 viewsjohnlangy

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:18 - Sep 21 by SullutaCreturned

Well Wales should be ruled by whoever the majority wants. That's democracy for you.

This is perfectly correct cat.

But in your previous post you said 'Yeah the last referendum had a 35% turnout. No election has ever managed even a 50% turnout. A lot of people in Wales don't care about the Senedd it's just a shame they don't reflect their feelings by voting'.

This is also perfectly correct. It is a shame that there is not a better turnout for Senedd elections but whatever that turnout is the majority wins.

As you agree it should.
Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:48 - Sep 21 with 2962 viewsraynor94

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 17:30 - Sep 21 by Kilkennyjack

"Torys" What are they?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 19:42 - Sep 21 with 2944 viewsSullutaCreturned

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:30 - Sep 21 by johnlangy

This is perfectly correct cat.

But in your previous post you said 'Yeah the last referendum had a 35% turnout. No election has ever managed even a 50% turnout. A lot of people in Wales don't care about the Senedd it's just a shame they don't reflect their feelings by voting'.

This is also perfectly correct. It is a shame that there is not a better turnout for Senedd elections but whatever that turnout is the majority wins.

As you agree it should.

Yes, my point about the referendum was slightly different though. We had people saying 51% of a 72% turnout wasn't enough to take us out of the EU and yet 63% of a 35% turnout carries sway.

A tad hypocritical.

My belief is that if the brexit vote should have been re-run because of a tight winning margin then those that say it should also back another vote on devolution. The 35% turnout shows that the majority in Wales do not care about the Senedd. Those of us who are disenfranchised should be given a voice again.
Instead we see Labour about to change election rules which will make a mockery of democracy.
Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 21:15 - Sep 21 with 2913 viewsBoundy

So because Drakeford & co are in the main Welsh ,that gives them carte blanche to ruin this country ?

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 21:43 - Sep 21 with 2890 viewsBadgeman

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:15 - Sep 21 by Boundy

and you know that to be true ?

Because they resoundingly lose every single time. Every single time.

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 21:46 - Sep 21 with 2888 viewsBadgeman

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 18:16 - Sep 21 by SullutaCreturned

Yeah the last referendum had a 35% turnout. No election has ever managed even a 50% turnout. A lot of people in Wales don't care about the Senedd it's just a shame they don't reflect their feelings by voting.

This is why we need change, someone new to vote for because if the tories are the only other option then what's the point in voting?

We hadn't even had a year of brexit and remainers were crying and moaning we should have a re-run. Well 20 years plus of the Senedd/WAG/Assembly so why not give us a say?

If the conservatives abandoned conservatism then they wouldn't be conservatives...make sense?

So your argument is we should have a third devolution referendum because we didn’t have a second Brexit referendum? If turnout is lower then it should be easier for abolitionists to win, yet they lose every time.

If abolitionism was so popular they’d have something to show for it apart from endless crying on quiet corners of the internet.

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 21:48 - Sep 21 with 2875 viewsBadgeman

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 21:15 - Sep 21 by Boundy

So because Drakeford & co are in the main Welsh ,that gives them carte blanche to ruin this country ?

That’s democracy. If you don’t like it, vote Drakeford out. If you’re that arsed about it, join a party and deliver some leaflets.

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 22:44 - Sep 21 with 2826 viewsAnotherJohn

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 21:48 - Sep 21 by Badgeman

That’s democracy. If you don’t like it, vote Drakeford out. If you’re that arsed about it, join a party and deliver some leaflets.

What a depressing thread! Labour and Plaid are on a path that uses law to control more and more areas of behaviour they do not like. They turn away from persuasion and personal choice about risk in favour of legal sanctions and coercion. Yet the passive majority will keep voting for them. Smacking, speed limits and meal deals are just the thin end of the wedge. The WG transport policy provides a vision of the future that I really do not like. Private car ownership is something I expect to come under serious threat in a few years. If it takes voting Tory to put a spoke in the wheel of the control freaks who push these policies then I for one will do it. I say that as somebody who has only every actually been a card-carrying member of one party and that was Labour - but that was in the days when the party actually represented working people.
Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 06:20 - Sep 22 with 2785 viewsWhiterockin

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 22:44 - Sep 21 by AnotherJohn

What a depressing thread! Labour and Plaid are on a path that uses law to control more and more areas of behaviour they do not like. They turn away from persuasion and personal choice about risk in favour of legal sanctions and coercion. Yet the passive majority will keep voting for them. Smacking, speed limits and meal deals are just the thin end of the wedge. The WG transport policy provides a vision of the future that I really do not like. Private car ownership is something I expect to come under serious threat in a few years. If it takes voting Tory to put a spoke in the wheel of the control freaks who push these policies then I for one will do it. I say that as somebody who has only every actually been a card-carrying member of one party and that was Labour - but that was in the days when the party actually represented working people.

I tend to agree. I never thought I would be voting Conservative any time soon, but if it the only option to give Labour and Plaid a bloody nose in my Senedd constituency I probably would. I'm still hoping for a strong Lib Dem or Independent candidate though.

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 07:29 - Sep 22 with 2757 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Only Wales is not ruled by the English. The UK is a democracy and the vast majority of Welsh people wish to remain part of it.
You have never explained why you think Wales should leave the democratic UK and then apply to join the undemocratic EU.

The majority of Welsh people wish to remain in the UK and voted to leave the EU.

To compare the democratic UK to the war crimes of Russia in Ukraine really is a stupid comparison.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 07:47 - Sep 22 with 2742 viewsAnotherJohn

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 07:29 - Sep 22 by felixstowe_jack

Only Wales is not ruled by the English. The UK is a democracy and the vast majority of Welsh people wish to remain part of it.
You have never explained why you think Wales should leave the democratic UK and then apply to join the undemocratic EU.

The majority of Welsh people wish to remain in the UK and voted to leave the EU.

To compare the democratic UK to the war crimes of Russia in Ukraine really is a stupid comparison.

Our Irish friend has also never explained why he is so keen on the EU when the imposition of the excessive deficit procedure in the 2009-16 period had a devastating impact on state health budgets in the Republic, leading to a situation where it has the highest level of private health insurance in the EU. Yes, big business benefitted from subsidies and the EU's permissive stance towards the Republic's tax regime, but the less well off suffer from a two-tier healthcare system,
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 7:48]
Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 09:03 - Sep 22 with 2727 viewsBoundy

What leaflets would they be , Tandoori Nights special offer ?

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 10:23 - Sep 22 with 2708 viewsBadgeman

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 09:03 - Sep 22 by Boundy

What leaflets would they be , Tandoori Nights special offer ?

Leaflets stating why you’d want to abolish the assembly. Or does that sound like too much hard work?

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 12:55 - Sep 22 with 2666 viewsjohnlangy

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 19:42 - Sep 21 by SullutaCreturned

Yes, my point about the referendum was slightly different though. We had people saying 51% of a 72% turnout wasn't enough to take us out of the EU and yet 63% of a 35% turnout carries sway.

A tad hypocritical.

My belief is that if the brexit vote should have been re-run because of a tight winning margin then those that say it should also back another vote on devolution. The 35% turnout shows that the majority in Wales do not care about the Senedd. Those of us who are disenfranchised should be given a voice again.
Instead we see Labour about to change election rules which will make a mockery of democracy.

By changing election rules I imagine you mean votes for 16 year olds and changing to a PR system.

There are many good arguments against votes for 16 year olds so it may be a bad idea. But, as regards PR, when so many complain that the system is broken (FPTP) by definition they are saying it should be changed. PR would be one way of doing that. It could be argued that they are the only progressive government in the UK for proposing it.

I don't understand why you say this makes a mockery of democracy. A government's job is to try to improve all aspects of life in the country they run. They put forward proposals which are then debated, amended, debated again until a final bill is put forward. In their 2021 manifesto they said

'in the next Senedd we will lead Wales in a national civic conversation about our constitutional future. We will build on the work of the Senedd Committee on electoral reform and develop proposals to improve the representation of the people of Wales in their Parliament'.

To me that shows that they are doing what they said they'd do, unlike many governments. And the bill will only pass with a super majority of 40 out of 60 Senedd members voting for it.

That sounds exactly like democracy to me.
Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 13:11 - Sep 22 with 2652 viewsblackswan

let's hope enough people realise the damage the assembly is doing to wales and vote labour out. We have a road system suitable for the 1960's but we in wales don't need new roads including by-passing Newport. What companies will come to Wales to invest and replace all the jobs that will be lost in port Talbot Trostre contracting companies and supply chain
Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 13:15 - Sep 22 with 2642 viewsblackswan

Also worth debating the state of the Welsh NHS and education falling far behind other areas. I have supported Labour all my life next election will be the first time voting tory
Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 13:32 - Sep 22 with 2632 viewsBadgeman

Time to get rid of the whole Cardiff Bay shebang on 13:15 - Sep 22 by blackswan

Also worth debating the state of the Welsh NHS and education falling far behind other areas. I have supported Labour all my life next election will be the first time voting tory

You think the Tories are going to fix the Welsh NHS? They are even more clueless than Labour.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024