Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oldham Thread 11:40 - Oct 16 with 28807 viewsChaffRAFC

NO TICKET SALES ON THE DAY - Not seen that posted anywhere other than the "Next at home" article on the Official Site. The correct decision as well.

Rochdale vs Oldham Athletic | Saturday 21st October 2023, Vanarama National League, Crown Oil Arena, 3pm Kick-Off

Dale welcome Oldham Athletic to the Crown Oil Arena later this month.

Following consultation with Greater Manchester Police, we can confirm that there will be no ticket sales on the day of the game.

Supporters will be able to buy tickets online and over the phone until 3pm on Friday 20th October, whilst in-person sales will be available to buy until 5pm.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/october/athome_oldhamathletic_211023/

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Oldham Thread on 11:08 - Oct 22 with 3812 viewsNafelad

Oldham Thread on 10:10 - Oct 22 by Dalenet

Just reflecting the morning after. Another Dale game where two halves were poles apart. Most clubs in this league are challenged with budgets and most squads are no bigger than ours. We have injuries and suspensions to cope with - we aren't the only ones. We will have to suck it up and bring some of the youth team in as back up. But the first half performance was driven by our style of play and not by our injuries. It isn't working Jim and if we want any of the 1300 or so extra home fans from yesterday to return (so that you have cash to spend) then we need to play attacking football like we did against Barnet or in the second half yesterday.

As for Owdum and the significant minority that can't behave as we see everytime they come here. They are the one club where you wish we had cages to pen them in. They have form and the mass police presence in riot gear doesn't make it an appealing fixture. We bring it on ourselves by not making fans sit in an allocated seat. If we have to play them again I hope both clubs learn from this. Only sell to their season ticket holders, use allocated seats, and fence off the bottom two rows. At least trouble makers can be identified by the seats they were allocated. Invading the pitch 3 or 4 times was rewarded with 18 minutes of added time - Karma should have rewarded us there. We could have sold them another 500 seats had we been more focussed - it can't be allowed to happen like this again. And the racist has to be identified and shamed.

Sometimes, I wonder if 'the administration people' at the club attend matches and actually witness the goings on, with large away crowds, for themselves?

Topcat

Oldham Thread on 11:35 - Oct 22 with 3690 views442Dale

Whilst not excusing the behaviour yesterday, mistakes made by both clubs were highlighted and all too predictable.

It’s amazing* that consistent processes aren’t followed on each and every occasion.

*it isn’t. You get used to it.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Oldham Thread on 11:56 - Oct 22 with 3632 viewsD_Alien

Oldham Thread on 10:55 - Oct 22 by SuddenLad

There were some Oldham fans in the block in front of the home Directors box. They were identified to a steward who was directly beside them in the tunnel area. She completely ignored the Dale fans who were pointing them out and carried on chewing her gum and looking around her like a dormant clown. She had no kind of communication equipment to contact anyone else, and she may as well have been at home, for all the use she was.

Eventually, the senior female steward arrived, they were pointed out to her, and were quickly and effectively removed, with assistance, displaying the usual variety of hand gestures as they departed.

Why on earth a steward in such a key location within the ground should not be able to communicate with any of her colleagues is a mystery and it shouldn't be allowed to happen again. Whoever that steward was (badge number 066) needs a reminder as to why she is there in the first place and to pay attention to people who are baying at her to do her job.

Same goes for the steward at the foot of Block Y when it kicked off in the Pearl St (already referred to by stesgoldenboot). No comms, so what are they supposed to do? It was a youngish and very inexperienced-looking lad who just looked embarrassed to be there when the crowd started asking him to take steps to get a few Biffos removed

On that basis alone, Taurus are placing their staff in danger, and we're not getting anything like value for money from them
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 11:57]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Oldham Thread on 11:58 - Oct 22 with 3616 viewsdingdangblue

Oldham Thread on 20:15 - Oct 21 by Trev

Fair play to Oldham for holding us at bay for 18 mins of injury time. If it was the other way round you could be sure we wouldn't have the mental strength to do so.

It was only our poor finishing that let them off Mitchell had a free header, Jimmy and Hendo both should have scored.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Oldham Thread on 12:03 - Oct 22 with 3592 viewsRodingdale

Oldham Thread on 11:35 - Oct 22 by 442Dale

Whilst not excusing the behaviour yesterday, mistakes made by both clubs were highlighted and all too predictable.

It’s amazing* that consistent processes aren’t followed on each and every occasion.

*it isn’t. You get used to it.

When I watch Dale away, it’s clear that the yellow hatched area at the front of the stand in our section is not for standing in, it’s often quite zealously policed by the stewards, even if you dwell for a moment on the way back with a coffee or something, you get moved on. If this is done consistently from the outset a build up of people never occurs.

Stewarding is consistently poor at Rochdale and whenever we get a big away following from teams we are used to playing Bradford, Oldham etc this is a problem and in fact that side is pretty much no go for Dale players who are often subject to abuse, I recall Hendo getting involved at one match. Interesting that in the days not too long ago v Tottenham and Newcastle these problems didn’t arise because their fans expect to sit in their seat.

We really don’t help ourselves and I suspect the club reporting the Oldham fans behaviour will simply result in yet greater Police bills for future games.

As others have pointed out, better organisation of ticketing and a well planned and resourced match day operations would have generated greater revenue.

But we continue to do what we always did and expect a different result.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 12:42]
Oldham Thread on 12:23 - Oct 22 with 3524 viewsZac_B

Oldham Thread on 12:03 - Oct 22 by Rodingdale

When I watch Dale away, it’s clear that the yellow hatched area at the front of the stand in our section is not for standing in, it’s often quite zealously policed by the stewards, even if you dwell for a moment on the way back with a coffee or something, you get moved on. If this is done consistently from the outset a build up of people never occurs.

Stewarding is consistently poor at Rochdale and whenever we get a big away following from teams we are used to playing Bradford, Oldham etc this is a problem and in fact that side is pretty much no go for Dale players who are often subject to abuse, I recall Hendo getting involved at one match. Interesting that in the days not too long ago v Tottenham and Newcastle these problems didn’t arise because their fans expect to sit in their seat.

We really don’t help ourselves and I suspect the club reporting the Oldham fans behaviour will simply result in yet greater Police bills for future games.

As others have pointed out, better organisation of ticketing and a well planned and resourced match day operations would have generated greater revenue.

But we continue to do what we always did and expect a different result.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 12:42]

This has nothing to do with stewarding yesterday, but something odd happened to me before the Southend game...

I'm fairly new to the Main Stand in general having always either stood in the Sandy or sat in the Pearl Street, and before the Southend game sat on the side closest to Pearl Street for the first time. When me and my brother got into the ground, we genuinely didn't know if we could get food at that side or needed to walk all the way over to the other side, so asked a steward. He pointed us through a door which took us towards the referee's room! Knowing that this can't be right, we turned back and asked him again. He insisted we could walk that way to get food so we carried on through...past the changing rooms and to the players tunnel! By this point we were half laughing, half embarrassed at clearly being somewhere we shouldn't be so decided to quickly walk down the tunnel (saying hello to Kevin Maher on our way) and get back out...where the stewards then opened the gates to let us on to the pitch! I told them I was actually going for food and turned to walk back along the Main Stand, but the whole experience was very strange. The stewards didn't blink an eye, ask for ID or challenge who we were or why we were wandering about down there - we could have been anyone!
Oldham Thread on 12:39 - Oct 22 with 3461 viewsTVOS1907

Oldham Thread on 10:10 - Oct 22 by Dalenet

Just reflecting the morning after. Another Dale game where two halves were poles apart. Most clubs in this league are challenged with budgets and most squads are no bigger than ours. We have injuries and suspensions to cope with - we aren't the only ones. We will have to suck it up and bring some of the youth team in as back up. But the first half performance was driven by our style of play and not by our injuries. It isn't working Jim and if we want any of the 1300 or so extra home fans from yesterday to return (so that you have cash to spend) then we need to play attacking football like we did against Barnet or in the second half yesterday.

As for Owdum and the significant minority that can't behave as we see everytime they come here. They are the one club where you wish we had cages to pen them in. They have form and the mass police presence in riot gear doesn't make it an appealing fixture. We bring it on ourselves by not making fans sit in an allocated seat. If we have to play them again I hope both clubs learn from this. Only sell to their season ticket holders, use allocated seats, and fence off the bottom two rows. At least trouble makers can be identified by the seats they were allocated. Invading the pitch 3 or 4 times was rewarded with 18 minutes of added time - Karma should have rewarded us there. We could have sold them another 500 seats had we been more focussed - it can't be allowed to happen like this again. And the racist has to be identified and shamed.

Squad sizes listed on the back of TVOS this season.

v Ebbsfleet - Dale 23 (including 5 youth players), Ebbsfleet 24
v Eastleigh - Dale 20, Eastleigh 24
v Bromley - Dale 20, Bromley 25
v Halifax - Dale 21, Halifax 25
v Barnet -Dale 21, Barnet 20
v Chesterfield - Dale 21, Chesterfield 21 * (including Will Grigg ,who was only a sub)
v Southend - Dale 20, Southend 18 * (now adding players since their takeover)
v Oldham - Dale 20, Oldham 23

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Oldham Thread on 13:22 - Oct 22 with 3313 viewsjonahwhereru

We are entering a phase that holds plenty of challenges for all connected with the club. Though not the biggest we have faced in recent years.
The board will be challenged to allow more players to be bought in. BJ will be challenged by managing the depleted squad whilst, some of the fans, are also challenging him to play, blood and thunder football with said depleted squad. Plus he needs to change the direction of travel in the league. I don’t relish his task. The players will, Also be challenged to keep fighting and maintain a no lost cause mentality.
As for. yesterday great effort in difficulty circumstances, perhaps epitomised by The Derby loanee, keeping going in a most hostile environment. SAJ part of a back four that concedes 4 and is MoM.”it’s a funny old game”
I am now worried that my hunch that Taylor would make the NL team of the season is running out of time to come to fruition. That lack of judgement is why I am happy to leave it to the management to decide tactics / selection. I actually enjoy football more now I have a more pragmatic approach about such things, rather than spouting my views on here like I used to.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 14:34]
Login to get fewer ads

Oldham Thread on 13:29 - Oct 22 with 3281 viewsTVOS1907

Oldham Thread on 18:28 - Oct 21 by dawlishdale

Another home defeat.. yet more poor defending and sadly, yet more awful tactics from a coach who is too defensive. Its madness trying to play like we did in the first half. Jim needs to rip up the international coaching manual and concentrate on doing the basics right.

Yes, the Board need to start communicating with the fans, and not in a patronising manner. I'm still mad with them for the complete turnaround from us being a fan owned club to one up for sale..to the detriment of supporters who bought shares but didn't get invited onto the top table.

The revelation that someone;presumably a Director, signed up for a 3 year fixed energy deal when prices were at their highest is shockingly naive bordering on sheer incompetence.

Any positives?

We actually do scare teams when we go for goals

We will never be as disgusting as the BIFFO hoardes. As bad a set of scumbags as FCUM were.

Gateshead will be licking their lips in anticipation of attacking us .

Any positives?

Jimmy K scoring two (and almost a hat-trick) was a positive, wouldn't you say?

Oldham Thread on 14:41 - Oct 22 with 3111 viewsdawlishdale

Oldham Thread on 13:29 - Oct 22 by TVOS1907

Any positives?

Jimmy K scoring two (and almost a hat-trick) was a positive, wouldn't you say?

Yes absolutely. I would include that in my first positive, wouldn't you say? He could and probably should have had a hat trick given the number of good chances he had , although looking at the replays, his first effort looked to be going wide before it deflected in off Mitchell.

As you well know, I don't rate Keohane defensively because of his lack of pace , but think he should be played in a much more attacking role. He certainly has an eye for goal.

What do you think about the way we played in the first half?
Oldham Thread on 15:12 - Oct 22 with 2987 viewsTVOS1907

Oldham Thread on 14:41 - Oct 22 by dawlishdale

Yes absolutely. I would include that in my first positive, wouldn't you say? He could and probably should have had a hat trick given the number of good chances he had , although looking at the replays, his first effort looked to be going wide before it deflected in off Mitchell.

As you well know, I don't rate Keohane defensively because of his lack of pace , but think he should be played in a much more attacking role. He certainly has an eye for goal.

What do you think about the way we played in the first half?

The same as almost every other game and it's very frustrating.

Oldham Thread on 15:26 - Oct 22 with 2940 viewsdawlishdale

Oldham Thread on 15:12 - Oct 22 by TVOS1907

The same as almost every other game and it's very frustrating.

Thanks TVOS. Not just me who is fed up with our negative tactics then. Annoyingly; we look decent when we go forward and take the game to other teams. But woefully lacking confidence at the back. As you say; frustrating; especially seeing as Jim was a central defender, and he assured fans that we had been working on defending set pieces at the pre season forum.
Oldham Thread on 16:20 - Oct 22 with 2808 viewsD_Alien

Oldham Thread on 15:26 - Oct 22 by dawlishdale

Thanks TVOS. Not just me who is fed up with our negative tactics then. Annoyingly; we look decent when we go forward and take the game to other teams. But woefully lacking confidence at the back. As you say; frustrating; especially seeing as Jim was a central defender, and he assured fans that we had been working on defending set pieces at the pre season forum.

Why on earth do you think it's just you "fed up with negative tactics"?

Oldham Thread on 16:35 - Oct 22 with 2763 viewsDalenet

Oldham Thread on 12:39 - Oct 22 by TVOS1907

Squad sizes listed on the back of TVOS this season.

v Ebbsfleet - Dale 23 (including 5 youth players), Ebbsfleet 24
v Eastleigh - Dale 20, Eastleigh 24
v Bromley - Dale 20, Bromley 25
v Halifax - Dale 21, Halifax 25
v Barnet -Dale 21, Barnet 20
v Chesterfield - Dale 21, Chesterfield 21 * (including Will Grigg ,who was only a sub)
v Southend - Dale 20, Southend 18 * (now adding players since their takeover)
v Oldham - Dale 20, Oldham 23

I have the said publications for comparison too - and yes we have a smaller squad today than we had at the start of the season - but we aren't that much thinner than other clubs - maybe 2 or 3 players and of course I don't know how many are youth teamers that have signed a pro contract at any of the clubs.

I was comparing our squads compared to last season in the EFL where we had 31 under Stockdale and 29 under Jim. And people kept saying we had a thin squad then. National League clubs tend to have 6 or 7 fewer players than they would have if in the EFL. We need to get used to it because at this level our income is lower - although we do have a top 7 revenue line
Oldham Thread on 16:46 - Oct 22 with 2729 views100569

Oldham Thread on 10:55 - Oct 22 by SuddenLad

There were some Oldham fans in the block in front of the home Directors box. They were identified to a steward who was directly beside them in the tunnel area. She completely ignored the Dale fans who were pointing them out and carried on chewing her gum and looking around her like a dormant clown. She had no kind of communication equipment to contact anyone else, and she may as well have been at home, for all the use she was.

Eventually, the senior female steward arrived, they were pointed out to her, and were quickly and effectively removed, with assistance, displaying the usual variety of hand gestures as they departed.

Why on earth a steward in such a key location within the ground should not be able to communicate with any of her colleagues is a mystery and it shouldn't be allowed to happen again. Whoever that steward was (badge number 066) needs a reminder as to why she is there in the first place and to pay attention to people who are baying at her to do her job.

I agree entirely with this as I too witnessed the event. She was the only person at the tunnel and it is a key position to be in. Were having communications elsewhere around the ground including what was the police box and the internal workings of the club is paramount. Back in the day when grounds were policed properly is why the police Match commander stood there so he had overall command of what was going on. The female supervisor who eventually arrived, after an age I might add, I presume had left her post for whatever reason. The least steward 066 could have done is spoke to the Daleys requesting assistance and informed them she was awaiting her supervisor rather than standing there looking away and chewing her gum.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 16:48]
Oldham Thread on 08:57 - Oct 23 with 2051 viewsJames1980

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/october/interview_mcnultypostoldham_2110

Very concerning reading Dev out all season potentially, plus Sinclair and Ferguson injured on Saturday.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Oldham Thread on 09:18 - Oct 23 with 2004 viewsD_Alien

Oldham Thread on 08:57 - Oct 23 by James1980

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/october/interview_mcnultypostoldham_2110

Very concerning reading Dev out all season potentially, plus Sinclair and Ferguson injured on Saturday.

The way Clayton limped off suggests he's carrying an injury, and seems to be playing in a restricted way because of it. If he makes it on Tuesday it'll be unfair to expect much from him
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 9:21]

Oldham Thread on 10:30 - Oct 23 with 1864 viewsOMG

Well I have only been to a handful of games this season. Sorry but NL doesnt excite me , or should I say , the players and Manager do not excite me.
I cant understand all this 'love in ' for McNulty. He has been involved in our downfall . His poor defending and now his disgraceful management has brought about the demise of Rochdale Football Club.
His insistence on playing like Man City is a joke. We dont have quick thinking lethal forwards like Haaland, Alvarez or expert attacking midfielders like Foden and De Byrne.
People said we would of been better with EEL at the back, I disagree, I think he is one of the main culprits causing problems . Taylor should of gone last season, sorry , should never of been signed.
What goes on in training sessions , with this playing out from the back? Do the rest of the team stand still like they do in a match....it must be very odd. Or perhaps it looks good without any opposition on the pitch.
People moaning about injuries, but this again , winds me up , since Rodney is not a prolific goal scorer in fact hes a bit of a loser . Perhaps thats why we signed him.
If we continue to only play in one half of a game and then at this pedestrian pace we will soon find ourselves fighting relegation and I dont think most of the players in this squad have the aptitude to fight.
Oh I assume we will sell Nevitt in Jan probably for peanuts.
Oldham Thread on 11:11 - Oct 23 with 1762 viewsJames1980

Oldham Thread on 10:30 - Oct 23 by OMG

Well I have only been to a handful of games this season. Sorry but NL doesnt excite me , or should I say , the players and Manager do not excite me.
I cant understand all this 'love in ' for McNulty. He has been involved in our downfall . His poor defending and now his disgraceful management has brought about the demise of Rochdale Football Club.
His insistence on playing like Man City is a joke. We dont have quick thinking lethal forwards like Haaland, Alvarez or expert attacking midfielders like Foden and De Byrne.
People said we would of been better with EEL at the back, I disagree, I think he is one of the main culprits causing problems . Taylor should of gone last season, sorry , should never of been signed.
What goes on in training sessions , with this playing out from the back? Do the rest of the team stand still like they do in a match....it must be very odd. Or perhaps it looks good without any opposition on the pitch.
People moaning about injuries, but this again , winds me up , since Rodney is not a prolific goal scorer in fact hes a bit of a loser . Perhaps thats why we signed him.
If we continue to only play in one half of a game and then at this pedestrian pace we will soon find ourselves fighting relegation and I dont think most of the players in this squad have the aptitude to fight.

How was he culpable for relegation to league two and then to National League? He made 17 appearances during the lock down season and last season he made 8. In contrast he played 46 in the 2015/16 and 35 in the 16/17 two of the clubs most successful seasons in the football league.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Oldham Thread on 11:38 - Oct 23 with 1697 viewsSuddenLad

Oldham Thread on 11:11 - Oct 23 by James1980

How was he culpable for relegation to league two and then to National League? He made 17 appearances during the lock down season and last season he made 8. In contrast he played 46 in the 2015/16 and 35 in the 16/17 two of the clubs most successful seasons in the football league.

Well said. The knives are out,but the real target has long since disappeared over the horizon.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Oldham Thread on 12:11 - Oct 23 with 1623 views442Dale

All that’s missing is a mention McNulty played for Bury…

He was also playing regularly when the team was at the top of L1 as James says, so revisionist history aplenty.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 12:13]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Oldham Thread on 12:13 - Oct 23 with 1619 viewsDaleiLama

Oldham Thread on 16:46 - Oct 22 by 100569

I agree entirely with this as I too witnessed the event. She was the only person at the tunnel and it is a key position to be in. Were having communications elsewhere around the ground including what was the police box and the internal workings of the club is paramount. Back in the day when grounds were policed properly is why the police Match commander stood there so he had overall command of what was going on. The female supervisor who eventually arrived, after an age I might add, I presume had left her post for whatever reason. The least steward 066 could have done is spoke to the Daleys requesting assistance and informed them she was awaiting her supervisor rather than standing there looking away and chewing her gum.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 16:48]

I sit a couple of rows back from SL and can perhaps shed a little more light on this. The only actions that 066 took were to look the other way. Fans were shouting at her to take action and she absolutely ignored both the requests and the situation. That being the case, it begs the question why is she there. It took a chap towards the end of the row between SL and I to go down towards the Pearl St. stand and mobilise the supervisor before action was taken. So not only could 066 not have told the Daleys (two of whom - a lad and his dad - left the stadium, the lad in floods of tears and clearly terrified by the confrontation) that a supervisor was on the way, but she also she didn't appear to have a means of communicating with her supervisor or even know she was coming! Again, why is she getting paid?

There were 3 Biffos. Two left without too much protest, one was giving it the b-b-b and two fingers to every Daley in the main stand, until a supervisor twice his weight dispatched him out of the gate. He probably got away with it.

Yet another shameful incident on a day where these were more the norm than the exception. I am going to send (an edited minus para 2) version of this account to Murray. I have no vendetta against 066, she normally has a pleasant demeanour, but the amount we are paying Taurus, and the grief they give some of our fans, we should be getting a very large refund.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Oldham Thread on 12:16 - Oct 23 with 1613 viewsDaleiLama

Cracking first post on the forum. Disgraceful management was perhaps the best line.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Oldham Thread on 12:25 - Oct 23 with 1583 viewsTVOS1907

Rodney scored 12 goals for a team that was the worst in the EFL last season, so I'm not sure how that qualifies him as a loser.

And it's "have", not "of".

Good effort, though.

Oldham Thread on 12:28 - Oct 23 with 1568 viewskel

Oldham Thread on 12:16 - Oct 23 by DaleiLama

Cracking first post on the forum. Disgraceful management was perhaps the best line.

Aye. First post under this username anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024