Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Iconic Graffiti 18:23 - May 27 with 6331 viewsBoston

...or just stuff that stuck in your head. I've got two that always come to mind.

a/ As a youngster coming back from Millwall '73, we pulled into Wapping Station to see painted on a wall, a pair of legs (from the knees down), crossed in the manner of 'irons', jeans cut short with big DM's and the words, West Ham Welcoming Committee scrolled around 'em. Made a lasting impression on an already anxious away fan.

b/ Walking into Moss Side heading for Maine Rd, forearm with a needle sticking out of it drawn on a bridge - written over the top, Heroin, it's what your left arms for. (take on a popular beer commercial at the time).
[Post edited 27 May 23:05]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Iconic Graffiti on 09:31 - May 28 with 1869 viewsterryb

Iconic Graffiti on 21:23 - May 27 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Apparently in Livepool outside a church in the 60s, a big sign saying Jesus Saves, after which was written 'and St John scores from the rebound'.

The story I heard on this theme was "What will you do when the Lord comes?" The reply was "Move St John to inside right!"
Iconic Graffiti on 09:47 - May 28 with 1795 viewsActonExile

North Acton Station, 'Batho is an ugly mug'.

Between Hanger Lane and North Acton as seen from the Eastbound Central Line ' QPR 6 - CFC 0'.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Iconic Graffiti on 09:48 - May 28 with 1794 viewsR_from_afar

If I recall correctly, the sign on one edge of the Bracknell estate of Great Hollands used to have the following spray painted on it:

"Twinned with Beirut".

Edit: I think the point being made was that it was supposedly like a war zone. My brother actually lived there at the time and it was fine plus one of my mates lives there currently.
[Post edited 28 May 11:37]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Iconic Graffiti on 10:26 - May 28 with 1736 viewsKonk

These two bits were next to each other in St Jude's, Bristol for quite a while. 'Boris is Binbag' always made me chuckle.

'Mullery is God' lasted a long old time on a wall opposite the Cottage on Stevenage Road.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Iconic Graffiti on 10:38 - May 28 with 1711 viewsSydneyRs

Iconic Graffiti on 09:47 - May 28 by ActonExile

North Acton Station, 'Batho is an ugly mug'.

Between Hanger Lane and North Acton as seen from the Eastbound Central Line ' QPR 6 - CFC 0'.

Haha, I remember the Batho one.
Iconic Graffiti on 15:05 - May 28 with 1563 viewsBoston

Can't recall exactly what wall, but George Davis is Innocent ok, in Islington, late 70's.

Iconic Graffiti on 15:15 - May 28 with 1556 viewscyprusmel

Iconic Graffiti on 15:05 - May 28 by Boston

Can't recall exactly what wall, but George Davis is Innocent ok, in Islington, late 70's.

George Davies is innocent was everywhere in the East End, on bridges, walls and anywhere flat enough to paint it, I was told George was out on bail and was caught robbing a bank shortly after, but he had many followers.
Iconic Graffiti on 15:26 - May 28 with 1518 viewsHantsR

Iconic graffiti from Monty Python, Hell's Grannies!
[Post edited 28 May 15:27]
Login to get fewer ads

Iconic Graffiti on 15:38 - May 28 with 1485 viewsqpr_1968

Iconic Graffiti on 15:15 - May 28 by cyprusmel

George Davies is innocent was everywhere in the East End, on bridges, walls and anywhere flat enough to paint it, I was told George was out on bail and was caught robbing a bank shortly after, but he had many followers.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Iconic Graffiti on 15:56 - May 28 with 1463 viewsSonofpugwash

There was one on a railway bridge outside Lewisham that was there for years....
"Free Nelson Mandela" and someone had put "with every packet of cornflakes".

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Iconic Graffiti on 17:04 - May 28 with 1382 viewsNoelmc

One which always made me smile was the graffiti added to the British Airways Concorde advert;

'Breakfast in London, Lunch in New York. Luggage in Brazil'
Iconic Graffiti on 19:35 - May 28 with 1244 viewsNoDiddley

George Davis a villain back in the 70s, arrested for a robbery, big campaign including digging up cricket pitches & a lot of graffiti protesting his innocence, ‘George Davis is innocent’ was daubed on many a wall in the East London where I lived at the time. Got released , then goes & gets nicked for similar offences & goes to jail. Some wag then goes round & changes the graffiti to ‘ George Davis is in a cell’
Classic
Iconic Graffiti on 21:37 - May 28 with 1186 viewshighleverhoopL

Liverpool Lime Street in the early 80's, on a wall in big letters visible as the train rolled in "Turn back Cockneys or Die"
Iconic Graffiti on 22:40 - May 28 with 1153 viewsPeterHucker

"STAYING UP WITH PIGEON GERRY" appeared in various places in the week leading up to the final game of the season in 1999. (the 6-0 v Palace)
Particularly prevalent around Shepherds Bush roundabout and Hammersmith Grove area.
I may or may not have had something to do with this. Couldn't possibly say.
Iconic Graffiti on 22:41 - May 28 with 1151 viewsPeterHucker

couldn't find a way to share my photo on here so I've just put it on Twitter

Iconic Graffiti on 00:15 - May 29 with 1085 viewsLoftgirl

Iconic Graffiti on 15:05 - May 28 by Boston

Wasn't this painted on the artificial pitch once?
Iconic Graffiti on 02:07 - May 29 with 1036 viewsjohncharles

In the smelly toilets of a Liverpool pub
Don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

Strong and stable my arse.

Iconic Graffiti on 02:08 - May 29 with 1035 viewsBoston

Iconic Graffiti on 05:23 - May 29 with 999 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bus stop on the Greenford Road by the old IBM building and seen in several other locations.

It was brilliantly simple: someone had placed an 's' over the 'v' in the aftershave advert featuring Johnny Depp. Thus rendering 'Sauvage' as 'Sausage'.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Iconic Graffiti on 05:50 - May 29 with 983 viewsingeminate

Iconic Graffiti on 19:38 - May 27 by theselector

Goldhawk Road:
Opinion poll is tory voter

1st one that came to my mind too. Remember having it explained to me as a kid - would have been late 80’s?

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Iconic Graffiti on 16:13 - May 29 with 814 viewsrobith

When I work in Farringdon I laughed at some graff that said "BEGGIN' 4 A PEGGIN" every day. Was lost to Crossrail. Cultural vandalism imo
[Post edited 29 May 21:31]
Iconic Graffiti on 16:34 - May 29 with 775 viewsBoston

Coincidentally... The Who played a benefit gig at the Valley for the Davis family. A bloke around the corner from me, Steve Moyse, was so influenced(!) by the event he spray painted a wall on East Lane, just before North Wembley bridge, 'The Who took Charlto'. That's right, ran out of space. Might still be there today😀

BTW. After Davis got out(yes he was a villain, just stitched up for that particular case), he divorced his wife and married a Chief Inspector's daughter.
[Post edited 29 May 16:36]

Iconic Graffiti on 16:47 - May 29 with 735 viewsloftupper

Always liked where someone had written 'England for the English' underneath was 'Peckham for the Peckish'
Iconic Graffiti on 20:01 - May 29 with 650 viewsPunteR

West London has great graffiti heritage. From Trellick Tower to the tracksides. Graffiti crews DDS, PFB, CBM,GFS originated from this side of London.
It got cleaned up just before the London Olympics but its back on the rise again and personally i think London is better for it.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Iconic Graffiti on 20:22 - May 29 with 634 viewsSonofpugwash

One I saw in east London in the seventies was...
"Christ has risen!"
And underneath some wag had put..
"But Morry's prices stay the same".

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024