Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Confession time - Play off winners 19:15 - May 27 with 3102 viewsdavman

Aside from Clint Hill, Jamie Mackie, Richard Dunne, Chief, Danny Simpson and Shaun Derry I really did not like our Play-off winning team that much. The feature on the website reminded me that Rob Green was an over paid unnecessary goalkeeper, Bobby Z did nothing at all in a QPR shirt aside from THAT winner and the goal against WBA and that I am in the minority about Charlie Austin - great player for us, but not that like-able.

Barton can do one, SWP was useless, Traore was just odd, Krancjar and Benayoun were just "meh", Assoit-Ekotto felt unnecessary, then there was Doyle, Aaron Hughes, Ravel Morrison, Jermaine Jenas, Johnson, Will Keane, Maiga manaaged by the Uber Tosspot in Harry Redknapp.

Am I alone?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Confession time - Play off winners on 19:22 - May 27 with 2624 viewshantssi

Were Derry and Mackie in that squad?
Confession time - Play off winners on 19:26 - May 27 with 2588 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You are not alone.

I was buzzing on the day, but watching the anniversary coverage recently filled me with contempt.

Especially that fcking badge.
Confession time - Play off winners on 19:29 - May 27 with 2556 viewsMedwayR

I couldn't fully enjoy our win at Wembley because I disliked so many of players, and the way the club was at the time, plus the knowledge that we'd make a mess of staying up by spending money on rubbish. Part of me would've been fine with losing as we'd have taken our medicine earlier. Still enjoyed it of course but it wasn't the stuff of dreams.

Poll: Who’s better?

Confession time - Play off winners on 20:04 - May 27 with 2440 viewsJigsore

Confession time - Play off winners on 19:22 - May 27 by hantssi

from memory Derry had been fobbed off to Millwall on loan and Mackie had joined Reading in the summer

so even worse than OP thought.

also seem to remember Danny Simpson was involved in a domestic brandishing a metal bar... I also appreciate this will not be the same for everyone, and I respect him as a player immensely, but Clint Hill blotted his copy book for me by continuing to work with famous dickhead Joey Barton.

you've still got Dunne and Chief though
[Post edited 27 May 20:06]

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Confession time - Play off winners on 20:25 - May 27 with 2370 viewsBAWHoops

I agree

It's somewhat tainted for me as the club and majority of the playing staff were awful

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Confession time - Play off winners on 20:46 - May 27 with 2292 viewsWatford_Ranger

I know Doyle played for us but can’t remember him doing anything at all. Apparently scored twice.

Zamora was woeful overall. Staggeringly poor Dykesesque goal return even in the second tier. Quite liked Onuoha but think that was more as a bloke than a player as he was often crap. Some personal issues IIRC with his mum dying unless that was someone else.

I won’t have a bad word said against Austin in that first spell though.
Confession time - Play off winners on 20:47 - May 27 with 2292 viewsCamberleyR

Confession time - Play off winners on 19:22 - May 27 by hantssi

Yes and No. Derry was still at the club in the 2013 close season but didn't play at all and became Notts County manager a few months into the season. Mackie was at Nottingham Forest that 2013/14 play off season (joined the fakes the season after when we were embarrassing ourselves in the Prem and joined us again the following season).
[Post edited 27 May 20:51]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Confession time - Play off winners on 21:02 - May 27 with 2212 viewskensalriser

You'll be seaching a long time to find a promotion winning Rs manager more disliked than Redknapp.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Confession time - Play off winners on 21:15 - May 27 with 2178 viewsted_hendrix

It was great a great fcking day out regardless of who was playing for us.

By the time we got back to the car and got onto the South Circular I mentioned to one of the lads that all we needed now was for Redknapp to pack his bags and f uck off which of course he didn't.

You can find fault with most If not all of those players who wore our shirt that day, I don't see the need for that though.

On a personal level I don't need to like or dislike our players, I need them to turn up on time and earn their money, that'll do for me.

When we went to WHL some three Months later after the play off final all of the euphoria had disappeared by half time as we were comfortably second best.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Confession time - Play off winners on 21:34 - May 27 with 2112 viewsEsox_Lucius

I still like Gary O'Neill.

The grass is always greener.

Confession time - Play off winners on 22:24 - May 27 with 1992 viewsturnsey

Can't believe we're all forgetting about R's legend Modibo Maiga. That man scored a magnificent three-yard piledriver on his debut. Expecting a statue announcement any day now.
Confession time - Play off winners on 22:52 - May 27 with 1926 viewsLogman

No one has mentioned Junior Hoilett. Unlikeable almost to the point of not really wanting to celebrate his part in the winning goal that day.
Confession time - Play off winners on 22:53 - May 27 with 1919 viewsdaveB

It was a great day out, i didn't like half the team at the time and still don't now but was on my bucket list to see QPR win at Wembley and we did it so I'm always going remember that day fondly
Confession time - Play off winners on 00:37 - May 28 with 1831 viewsnumptydumpty

Zamora was not greatly liked by Rangers fans as he did not perform that well for us as always not 100% fit

One goal and one shot changed his entire QPR legacy.

A beautiful goal , a beautiful moment , but a far from beautiful squad of players.

Talk about moments changing an entire season.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Confession time - Play off winners on 01:32 - May 28 with 1803 viewsHAYESBOY

I thought Niko was OK.
Ale Faurlin was part of the squad although out most of the season with one of his ACL injuries.
[Post edited 28 May 1:36]

Smells like a trout farm in here

Confession time - Play off winners on 02:54 - May 28 with 1755 viewsFredManRave

Confession time - Play off winners on 21:15 - May 27 by ted_hendrix

It was great a great fcking day out regardless of who was playing for us.

By the time we got back to the car and got onto the South Circular I mentioned to one of the lads that all we needed now was for Redknapp to pack his bags and f uck off which of course he didn't.

You can find fault with most If not all of those players who wore our shirt that day, I don't see the need for that though.

On a personal level I don't need to like or dislike our players, I need them to turn up on time and earn their money, that'll do for me.

When we went to WHL some three Months later after the play off final all of the euphoria had disappeared by half time as we were comfortably second best.

Agreed. The propensity of people, in general (not directed at the OP) to look for the negative in a situation, especially when there is also a positive, is there for all to see, will never cease to amaze me.

There's always a choice and I know which one I always go for...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Confession time - Play off winners on 07:30 - May 28 with 1625 viewsdavman

No need to apologise, Fred, I know that I am a negative so and so. Not half full or half empty, more "what glass"? But that was a "succesful" QPR team that I didn't like, which is rare.

I loved them all through the 80s into the early 90s (although that might be to do with the fact that was my childhood 'til my mid 20s!). I adored (and still adore) Oan Holloway for how he saved the club and pulled us all together and I actually liked us under Warburton.

BUT that play-off winning team felt dirty and horrible. Having cash doesn't suit us I guess...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Confession time - Play off winners on 09:04 - May 28 with 1475 viewsrobith

I will not hear this Charlie Austin slander. He was incredible that season, playing most of it injured - his performance in the semi is one of the all time great Rs showings imo.

The only thing I'd change about the day is I wished he scored the goal instead of Zamora
Confession time - Play off winners on 09:07 - May 28 with 1465 viewsSydneyRs

And to top it all off they almost ruined the trophy lift by playing that dreadful Pharrell Williams "Happy" crap.
Confession time - Play off winners on 09:12 - May 28 with 1444 viewsBluce_Ree

WTF is this shit, LFW Forum?

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Confession time - Play off winners on 11:42 - May 28 with 1293 viewsngbqpr

The season as a whole was a slog. I get where Ted's coming from - if players put a shift in, all good, and to be fair a good chunk of that squad did, even if we knew many were here only for the money or due to Redknapp being allowed to stockpile. But blimey we made hard work of it, some of the awaydays were painful.

As Dave says, the final itself was a real bucket list day which I'll never forget. The bizarre offshoot for me living in Nottingham is to this day all my Forest mates celebrate 'Zamora day' as much as, maybe more than, we do.

The reason I can't share in the anniversary nostalgia fest is I remain angry and bitter about what happened next. We'd cocked up our first period back in the top flight for aeons - by gambling with all the FFP etc rules, we squeaked a second opportunity at what could and should have been a transformative season for the club in a positive way. And within weeks completely screwed it up and left the club in a mess we're still inching our way out of.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Confession time - Play off winners on 11:59 - May 28 with 1262 viewsNed_Kennedys

Confession time - Play off winners on 09:12 - May 28 by Bluce_Ree

WTF is this shit, LFW Forum?

Some of the stuff on this thread is unbelievable, using words like contempt.

For once we were the big spenders in the Championship and it got us over the line with a once in a lifetime experience at Wembley and people still moan.
EVERY year there are teams who spend big and fail so what we achieved that season was not as easy or a foregone conclusion as some think and the team deserve all the credit for getting promoted. What happened the following season should not detract from that.
Confession time - Play off winners on 12:22 - May 28 with 1203 viewsWatford_Ranger

Confession time - Play off winners on 11:59 - May 28 by Ned_Kennedys

Some of the stuff on this thread is unbelievable, using words like contempt.

For once we were the big spenders in the Championship and it got us over the line with a once in a lifetime experience at Wembley and people still moan.
EVERY year there are teams who spend big and fail so what we achieved that season was not as easy or a foregone conclusion as some think and the team deserve all the credit for getting promoted. What happened the following season should not detract from that.

I wouldn’t say it’s a moan. There are big-spending teams the fans like. There were just quite a few knobheads in that squad who got dragged over the line by a mistake and some heroic defending.
Confession time - Play off winners on 13:32 - May 28 with 1061 viewsTheChef

An amazing day to be a QPR fan - wouldn't change it for the world.

Only downside is in the photo of us lifting the trophy, holding it with Clint Hill is Joey fkin Barton.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Confession time - Play off winners on 14:33 - May 28 with 928 viewsNorthernr

A brilliant, brilliant day. And to see Clint Hill walk up the steps for us, after what happened to him at Tranmere, was genuinely emotional.

Agree though, disliked a lot of that team and the manager. The whole second half of that season was a complete ball ache. Once McClaren left they played themselves out of the automatic promotion spots that they should have been able to seal with their eyes closed, and there were some fcking dire games at Sheff Wed, Blackburn, Brighton, Bournemouth and elsewhere in the run in where we basically had a disparate collection of loans and waifs going through the motions earning a fortune.

Fun game to play is naming the squad members who didn't even make the matchday squad for the final. We had about £30m of payroll sitting in the stand that afternoon..

Will Keane
Shaun Wright-Phillips
Ale Faurlin
Yossi Benayoun
Little Tom Carroll
Benoit Assou Ekotto
Julio Cesar (out on loan)
Jermaine Jenas
Andy Johnson
Mobido Maiga
Luke Young
Matt Phillips