Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread 15:33 - Jun 10 with 17972 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Magic asparagus is right.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/06/10/worlds-asparamancer-reveals-england-will-euros-go
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 14:47 - Jun 17 with 1566 viewsdaveB

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 13:32 - Jun 17 by Antti_Heinola

Weeelllll, I wonder if Bellingham should drop deeper. That's a problem position, and he can play there, and he'll still get up to support the forwards. Then you can play Foden in the middle and Gordon or Eze on the left. Bellingham played quite deep a lot of the time anyway, I don't think it would have an enormous effect on his game.

I just can't see him or any manager playing a midfield 3 of Rice, Bellingham and Foden with 2 attacking wingers as well. That might be something you do when chasing a game but just won't do it from the start.

You could drop him deeper and change Fodens starting position but I'm not sure it changes much, he's already got the freedom to drift into the middle like Bellingham can drop deep if he wants to. Whether Foden starts on the right, left or in the middle he needs to show a lot more imo when playing for England.
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 14:48 - Jun 17 with 1555 viewsdaveB

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 14:22 - Jun 17 by CLAREMAN1995

Very interesting thread with outstanding views and opinions but one glaring omission so far and that is the play or non play of Harry Kane .How did he manage to stay on the field for 90 minutes when you have Ollie Watkins with his pace to destroy the tired Serbian defense late on.
Even if HK scored that header it was getting ruled out by VAR I suspect and apart from that he did very little.
I would have brought on Palmer for certain and maybe Eze who would feast against the Serbs with all that space in behind .
Speaking of Serbia they passed up so many shots in dangerous positions and simply overran the ball or wasted the pass its a major worry because top teams wont be as careless .

Why would the goal have been ruled out by VAR?
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 15:40 - Jun 17 with 1382 viewsCamberleyR

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 14:21 - Jun 17 by ellersliehoop

Can someone tell me when Foden has impacted a game for England?

He's never shown his club form for England

This all day long.

4 goals in 35 games tells it's story. Two of those were against Iceland in his third game so it's two goals in his last thirty two games.

Someone with the ability he shows for his club should be on at least 12-13 by now.
[Post edited 17 Jun 15:44]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 15:49 - Jun 17 with 1351 viewsNorthantsHoop

I actually thought Southgate got the call right yesterday. Highlights for me the exceptional Bellingham like him in a free flowing role throughout the midfield, Rice really strong performance and Saka in the 1st half delivered on the right side. Got the right subs on with Gallagher and Bowen who injected a bit of pace later and were steady in their roles. I thought Kane grew into the game and if we are going to progress he is the one who is going to get the goals, superb player that he is. Still never seen Foden do it at international level is it a head thing or how he is being asked to play in the system?, will have to see if the Trent Arnold experiment in midfield continues as not convinced by it against the better teams. We got through a potential banana skin game with 3 points and I think stats from previous Euros of winning our first game is pretty ropey to say the least.
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 16:20 - Jun 17 with 1286 viewsellersliehoop

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 15:40 - Jun 17 by CamberleyR

This all day long.

4 goals in 35 games tells it's story. Two of those were against Iceland in his third game so it's two goals in his last thirty two games.

Someone with the ability he shows for his club should be on at least 12-13 by now.
[Post edited 17 Jun 15:44]

I dont think he warrants a place in the team currently.

Gordon would be a better option as he keeps the width and has pace
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread (n/t) on 16:28 - Jun 17 with 1251 viewsCamberleyR

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 16:20 - Jun 17 by ellersliehoop

[Post edited 17 Jun 16:35]

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 16:29 - Jun 17 with 1251 viewsCamberleyR

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 16:20 - Jun 17 by ellersliehoop

I agree. Square pegs in square holes.

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 16:49 - Jun 17 with 1162 viewsJamesB1979

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 13:33 - Jun 17 by Antti_Heinola

Klopp played him there loads this season (after criticising Gareth for doing it).

I didnโ€™t realise that as to be fair Iโ€™ve only watched about 5 Liverpool games last season but with Jones (who I quite like), Elliott, McCallister, Endo and Szosobolai and Gravenberch, wasnโ€™t sure how heโ€™d have ever played there.
Login to get fewer ads

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 16:50 - Jun 17 with 1165 viewsdaveB

I think he'll use the group stage to try and make it work with Trent, Foden and Bellingham all starting. if it obviously isn't working I'd expect to see Gordon start the next round
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 16:59 - Jun 17 with 1126 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 14:48 - Jun 17 by daveB

Why would the goal have been ruled out by VAR?

I watched the game on the American TV feed and both commentators were saying Harry climbed all over the defender even pushing him a bit to get that header off producing a wonder save then crossbar .
Maybe it would have stood and England might have scored 3 or 4 afterwards once Serbia realized their goose was cooked .
I love HK but sometimes fresh legs are needed and yesterday was the time for Watkins or Toney after an hour IMO but England won and thats all that really matters
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 19:13 - Jun 17 with 940 viewsdigswellhoop

we were poor
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 21:54 - Jun 17 with 818 viewsRangersw12

French haven't been great tonight I wonder if their media will go ott like ours
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 22:01 - Jun 17 with 812 viewsbosh67

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 21:54 - Jun 17 by Rangersw12

French haven't been great tonight I wonder if their media will go ott like ours

Austria had everything but the final pass and finish and I've not seen France made to work like that for a long time. How good is Kante still though? Just immense for France.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 22:03 - Jun 17 with 806 viewsSK_hoops

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 08:00 - Jun 17 by GaryBannister86

Dave, I am with your GS argument all the way. It is hilarious that a manager who has turned us from also-rans time after time to finalists, semi finalists gets abused. As soon as he retires / dies they will be saying what a genius he was.

And any sort of win is good in a major tournament, re Robson's abysmal wins against Egypt and Cameroon, El Tel's on penalties against Spain, it doesn't matter.

But - my patience was tested last night. I do think with these players available he could do better than putting on Gallagher to try and kill the game. I really hope we can just go for it and also find the real Foden at the same time.

Literally any manager on the planet would have got us to the semis and final due to the teams we played.
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 22:22 - Jun 17 with 780 views1JD

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 10:05 - Jun 17 by lassel

I normally agree with you Dave and youโ€™re often the voice of reason but I canโ€™t agree that last nights game was a tricky one.

As said I was at Sweden v Serbia last week and they were as dire yesterday as they were against Sweden. Theyโ€™re a very poor team whose only strategy is to be disciplined and compact and try and nick something on the break or at a set piece.

England shouldโ€™ve won at a canter yet for 60 minutes Serbia were in uncharted territory expecting to sit back and suddenly being urged to come forward and have a go.

The possession stats were stark with how narrow England were, the one time Saka took on his full back it resulted in a goal.

Another problem of course is Southgate insisting that the unanimous PL player of the season in the #10 role cannot play the #10 role and then shoehorning him in at LW where he never plays for his club with predictable results.

I donโ€™t want to gang up on Southgate and play into the cliches about him but last night was perfect fodder for his detractors with a team of offensively minded players looking completely devoid of ideas and tactical nous.

And as said, TAA is *NOT* a midfielder, Serbia correctly targeted him and theyโ€™re not a good team, if England want any chance of getting to the later stages he has to be removed from that role.

Playing a right back in centre mid when he doesnโ€™t even play there for his club is frankly batshit crazy.
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 22:33 - Jun 17 with 748 views1JD

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 16:49 - Jun 17 by JamesB1979

I didnโ€™t realise that as to be fair Iโ€™ve only watched about 5 Liverpool games last season but with Jones (who I quite like), Elliott, McCallister, Endo and Szosobolai and Gravenberch, wasnโ€™t sure how heโ€™d have ever played there.

I donโ€™t recall him playing there for Liverpool this season

Just had a quick look on transfermarkt which is normally pretty good for positional stats, and it says he played RB for all his prem games but made 1 appearance in CM in the EFL cup
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 23:38 - Jun 17 with 660 viewsdaveB

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 22:03 - Jun 17 by SK_hoops

Literally any manager on the planet would have got us to the semis and final due to the teams we played.

How comes no manager on the planet managed to do that for 50 odd years before he came in then? We lost to Iceland in the one before, hardly the toughest of draws.

I don't think we'd ever won a Euros knockout game in 90 minutes before Southgate came in.

That German win has been dismissed as easy but again, never beaten them in a knockout game since 66, so much history, weight of expectation and his team got the job done that day.
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 23:41 - Jun 17 with 657 viewsdaveB

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 22:22 - Jun 17 by 1JD

Playing a right back in centre mid when he doesnโ€™t even play there for his club is frankly batshit crazy.

It's not like he's playing Gary Neville in central midfield. Trent is a brilliant passer of the ball, good at set pieces and has played there for club and country before. When he wasn't playing in midfield you had pundits all the time saying Southgate should try that why doesn't he, now he's doing it the same people are saying why is he doing that.

With no real obvious partner for Rice it's not a mad idea to try this, personally I'd rather see this than Henderson or Phillips
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 23:44 - Jun 17 with 650 viewsNed_Kennedys

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 23:41 - Jun 17 by daveB

It's not like he's playing Gary Neville in central midfield. Trent is a brilliant passer of the ball, good at set pieces and has played there for club and country before. When he wasn't playing in midfield you had pundits all the time saying Southgate should try that why doesn't he, now he's doing it the same people are saying why is he doing that.

With no real obvious partner for Rice it's not a mad idea to try this, personally I'd rather see this than Henderson or Phillips

How about playing the actual midfielders he selected in the squad such as Wharton or Mainoo instead of TAA?
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 23:47 - Jun 17 with 644 viewsdaveB

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 23:44 - Jun 17 by Ned_Kennedys

How about playing the actual midfielders he selected in the squad such as Wharton or Mainoo instead of TAA?

because he thinks Trent can offer more than those 2 and it's something worth trying. I'd like to see Wharton start but that's not a perfect solution either and Mainoo defensivley is an absolute liability. None of them are perfect solutions.
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 23:51 - Jun 17 with 640 viewsSydneyRs

France needed an OG to win so that's them out of the running too.
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 00:00 - Jun 18 with 634 viewsJamesB1979

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 23:41 - Jun 17 by daveB

Beckham and Rooney were great passers and good at free kicks. Both were terrible in central midfield for England. Trent is ok there but we have plenty of players who play central midfield regularly for their clubs. Give one of them a go.
(No subject) (n/t) on 00:05 - Jun 18 with 632 viewsNed_Kennedys

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 23:38 - Jun 17 by daveB

How comes no manager on the planet managed to do that for 50 odd years before he came in then? We lost to Iceland in the one before, hardly the toughest of draws.

I don't think we'd ever won a Euros knockout game in 90 minutes before Southgate came in.

That German win has been dismissed as easy but again, never beaten them in a knockout game since 66, so much history, weight of expectation and his team got the job done that day.

Some people on this thread seem prepared to die on that hill for Southgate no matter what: itโ€™s a bit odd IMO.
Letโ€™s hope he finally works out how to see the job through this tournament.
[Post edited 18 Jun 0:08]
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 06:09 - Jun 18 with 544 viewsSK_hoops

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 23:38 - Jun 17 by daveB

Germany had a way better team in those days than the last 2 or 3 tournaments. They seem to have sorted it out for this tournament though.

Also, we tended to play a decent team earlier on in prior tournaments. Gemany 96, Argentina 98, Brazil 02, Portugal 04, 06, Germany 10, Italy 12, all before getting to the semi final. Iceland was a low point, I'll give you that. I don't know about anything pre world cup 94...
Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 07:26 - Jun 18 with 467 viewsdaveB

Serbia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ Match Thread on 06:09 - Jun 18 by SK_hoops

Germany had a way better team in those days than the last 2 or 3 tournaments. They seem to have sorted it out for this tournament though.

Also, we tended to play a decent team earlier on in prior tournaments. Gemany 96, Argentina 98, Brazil 02, Portugal 04, 06, Germany 10, Italy 12, all before getting to the semi final. Iceland was a low point, I'll give you that. I don't know about anything pre world cup 94...

We usually played those teams as we messed the group up and came second
The Euros was a different format as well so always likely to play better teams earlier in the tournament

Germany were of course much better pre 2021 but that was a far from easy game to win, they were still a good side
[Post edited 18 Jun 7:34]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024