Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Final 22:05 - Jul 6 with 11454 viewsD_Alien

So it's a third semi-final under Southgate, against the Dutch

I thought we were marginally better today with the 3 CBs (brought about by Guehi's suspension) allowing greater flexibility but there must be a lot of tired (and injured) bodies after two lots of extra time

We've mainly got though via the odd moment of individual brilliance without looking particularly cohesive let alone fluent, but the FGs must've decided to smile on us for a change. No questioning the team spirit in a "circling the wagons" kind of way

[Post edited 11 Jul 12:46]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Final on 16:14 - Jul 15 with 1476 viewsjonahwhereru

Final on 09:48 - Jul 15 by watford_dale

Same s**t, different tournament!

Hopefully the new manager may think, that Palmer chap isn't that bad and we seem to be more attacking when he is on the pitch. Should I start with him?

I would keep Southgate around just for the draw, as he definitely gets the jammiest draws of all time. Good in the fact we can get to a final not playing one of the favourites, bad because when we get to the final we have not faced that level of opposition.

Well Spain look good for the world cup, especially with that midfield.

Not sure how old you are, but same sh-t different tournament doesn’t really hold true if you remember Scotland not England were the UK representatives in two successive world cups.
We have become what Italy were at one time. Poor in the group stages but went a long way.
Hope Southgate steps down now. The job must be draining. He can go having the highest % of wins of any England manager in tournament football. That is some achievement given his mediocre club record.
Final on 20:38 - Jul 15 with 1203 viewsdamon791

The team did well in spite of the coach, why play Kane in all 7 matches when he’s just got back from injury and could hardly run
Why play Foden on the left when he’s a natural 10
Why play Trent in midfield when we have no runners
Why was Pickford kicking it long all tournament like it was the 70s
I would love to see what an accomplished coach could do with this group of players we relied on individual moments to bail us out.
Final on 00:55 - Jul 16 with 1069 viewsnordenblue

Final on 20:38 - Jul 15 by damon791

The team did well in spite of the coach, why play Kane in all 7 matches when he’s just got back from injury and could hardly run
Why play Foden on the left when he’s a natural 10
Why play Trent in midfield when we have no runners
Why was Pickford kicking it long all tournament like it was the 70s
I would love to see what an accomplished coach could do with this group of players we relied on individual moments to bail us out.

I'd love to see what Klopp could do with this current England squad....
Final on 13:40 - Jul 16 with 888 viewswatford_dale

Final on 00:55 - Jul 16 by nordenblue

I'd love to see what Klopp could do with this current England squad....

Probably play wingers and not try to pass through a world class midfield.
Final on 15:34 - Jul 16 with 782 viewsnordenblue

Final on 13:40 - Jul 16 by watford_dale

Probably play wingers and not try to pass through a world class midfield.

I know id hate all that horrible attacking flowing football stuff its boring......This "world class midfield" one that's created next to nothing in opportunities all tournament?

Spain didn't do too bad trying to "play wingers"
Final on 12:39 - Jul 17 with 554 viewssamueloneils

The midfield was where it all went wrong in each match.

Bellingham and Foden had incredible seasons at Real and City but were playing in front of incredible midfielders in each club. Mainoo will become a fine player I am sure but it is a bit much to expect him to perform a tournament level after a handful of games. Rice I thought was a big disappointment. I expected him to come through with a future captain`s performance. Instead his passing and ball retention was poor throughout.
Whoever takes over will have to get a grip on Bellingham. He is a special talent but needs to become a team player as well.

I expected the defence to be a problem, but in fact they did remarkably well- see the goals against tally. Credit to Stones and Gehi particularly. Pickford- Pickford is Pickford- I think he did incredibly well.
Final on 15:18 - Jul 17 with 462 viewswatford_dale

Final on 12:39 - Jul 17 by samueloneils

The midfield was where it all went wrong in each match.

Bellingham and Foden had incredible seasons at Real and City but were playing in front of incredible midfielders in each club. Mainoo will become a fine player I am sure but it is a bit much to expect him to perform a tournament level after a handful of games. Rice I thought was a big disappointment. I expected him to come through with a future captain`s performance. Instead his passing and ball retention was poor throughout.
Whoever takes over will have to get a grip on Bellingham. He is a special talent but needs to become a team player as well.

I expected the defence to be a problem, but in fact they did remarkably well- see the goals against tally. Credit to Stones and Gehi particularly. Pickford- Pickford is Pickford- I think he did incredibly well.

Pickford kept 2 clean sheets but it was his passing that was the issue:

short passes 22/22
medium passes - 142/142
long passes - 61/130 - key stat

The poor long pass completion repeatedly led to england surrendering possession in midfield and having to work to get it back.

Southgate is not the first to attempt to pass through a spanish world class midfield, others have tried and failed most notably Ferguson against Barcelona where they owned Man Utd in the 2 CL finals. Spanish teams, national/club, have not lost a final in the past 27 attempts. You have to go back to 2001 Bayern Munich v Valencia to find one that had lost.
Final on 16:50 - Jul 17 with 392 viewsEllDale

It must have been hard for Pickford when his centre forward and target man was seldom in the opposition half.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024