Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Final 22:05 - Jul 6 with 10920 viewsD_Alien

So it's a third semi-final under Southgate, against the Dutch

I thought we were marginally better today with the 3 CBs (brought about by Guehi's suspension) allowing greater flexibility but there must be a lot of tired (and injured) bodies after two lots of extra time

We've mainly got though via the odd moment of individual brilliance without looking particularly cohesive let alone fluent, but the FGs must've decided to smile on us for a change. No questioning the team spirit in a "circling the wagons" kind of way

[Post edited 11 Jul 12:46]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Semis on 20:52 - Jul 10 with 4325 views442Dale

Semis on 20:20 - Jul 10 by D_Alien

Didn't think it was a penalty, but Kane does a repeat of his penalty against Dale in Feb 18

Edit: great half by England. We dominated and deserve to be ahead

Foden finally set free to do his thing
[Post edited 10 Jul 20:50]

Really poor decision. Defenders have to be allowed to block shots.

Best performance so far though, playing at a greater pace and Mainoo has everything to be one of the best midfielders England have had. Knows his role and sees everything.

Whisper it, but Bellingham could learn a thing or two from him.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Semis on 21:51 - Jul 10 with 4212 viewsD_Alien

Semis on 12:35 - Jul 9 by D_Alien

Kane has looked a bit jaded. A long season in a new environment (plus his age relative to say, Bellingham) has seen him underperform but he's still grabbed two goals. He's also picked up a few knocks

If he's fit to start he will do of course, but have to say i've liked the energy and "unknown factor" that Ivan Toney has brought to the front line in his brief appearances, and as we saw with his "just outstare the keeper" penalty isn't lacking in confidence. If Kane can't last the 90 minutes (or longer) i'd have no hesitation in bringing Toney on against a tiring defence

He's not played anything like a full season either, and it's no surprise he's being preferred as first change to Ollie Watkins

As i was saying...

[Post edited 11 Jul 0:56]

Semis on 23:05 - Jul 10 with 4035 viewsNigeriamark

Semis on 21:51 - Jul 10 by D_Alien

As i was saying...

[Post edited 11 Jul 0:56]

Fair play to Southgate. most people would have thought it would have been Toney for Kane but he threw the dice with Watkins and it came up trumps. Although they were probably the better team in the second half, over the 90 minutes I think we deserved it because the first half was superb. I thought we would regret not going into HT ahead but now it's only Spain in front of us !!!.
Final on 12:44 - Jul 11 with 3669 viewsD_Alien

Might as well continue the Semis thread

I thought one of the key changes Southgate made was bringing on Shaw for Trippier. We just look more solid and Shaw is fresh after his injury layoff

Semis on 13:33 - Jul 11 with 3586 viewsR17ALE

Semis on 20:52 - Jul 10 by 442Dale

Really poor decision. Defenders have to be allowed to block shots.

Best performance so far though, playing at a greater pace and Mainoo has everything to be one of the best midfielders England have had. Knows his role and sees everything.

Whisper it, but Bellingham could learn a thing or two from him.

I'm not sure it was the wrong decision if going by the letter of the law.

I agree in the spirit of football it wasn't a penalty, but how many times do you see a full back clear the ball up the line only for his follow through foot to catch the boot of an opponent who is trying to block the clearance?

That's always a booking (wrongly in my view). So yesterday's attempted Dutch block would've been a free-kick anywhere else on the pitch. In which case the penalty was technically the correct call, even though it just felt wrong.

I'd also point to Peter Cavanagh's red card at Boston years ago, which from memory, he received for raising his studs in a challenge. Yesterday's Dutch lad who caught Kane committed a challenge far worse.

Football is broken!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Final on 16:37 - Jul 11 with 3371 viewsblackdogblue

At first I must admit if was a penalty I will be amazed.. Kane had already made contact with the ball.

On reflection it was a late challenge, agree defenders are allowed to challenge or try to block a shot but it was a high challenge, definitely foot off the floor.. anywhere else on the pitch it would have been a free kick / card so why not a penalty…

Not watched much of the tournament tbh & not watched an entire England match for the duration, what I have seen is a lot of sideway passing & it’s boring as the Dale can be… saying that, last night I did see awesome spin rounds & on the offensive from Saka amongst others..

There is always hope on Sunday, like someone said, Utd were underdogs against City in the FA Cup..

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Final on 16:55 - Jul 11 with 3336 viewswatford_dale

Think final will be close as Spain's defence isn't all that and Moratta is is capable of missing absolute sitters, if he plays. But the midfield is world class and the wingers are not too shabby as well.

No wonder PSG have lodged 250m euro bid for Yamal.

Hopefully start with Shaw but cannot see him making any other changes subject to injury.
Final on 18:36 - Jul 11 with 3172 viewsisitme

Final on 16:55 - Jul 11 by watford_dale

Think final will be close as Spain's defence isn't all that and Moratta is is capable of missing absolute sitters, if he plays. But the midfield is world class and the wingers are not too shabby as well.

No wonder PSG have lodged 250m euro bid for Yamal.

Hopefully start with Shaw but cannot see him making any other changes subject to injury.

The key will be how we cope with their wide players. Pedri has also been excellent alongisde Rodri.
Login to get fewer ads

Final on 19:08 - Jul 11 with 3123 viewsjonahwhereru

Just think the Spanish will not fear us so won’t bother trying to stifle our talent. Just the same attitude as Holland had in the first half, and so for the first time this tournament it clicked in the opponents half. So to me we have a punchers chance, provided we can operate as a back 3 and not get forced into a back 5, no easy task, and can stop them scoring in the first half. My worst case scenario would be if England took an early lead. The temptation to drop deep would be to difficult to resist.
Semis on 20:24 - Jul 11 with 3049 views442Dale

Semis on 13:33 - Jul 11 by R17ALE

I agree in the spirit of football it wasn't a penalty, but how many times do you see a full back clear the ball up the line only for his follow through foot to catch the boot of an opponent who is trying to block the clearance?

That's always a booking (wrongly in my view). So yesterday's attempted Dutch block would've been a free-kick anywhere else on the pitch. In which case the penalty was technically the correct call, even though it just felt wrong.

I'd also point to Peter Cavanagh's red card at Boston years ago, which from memory, he received for raising his studs in a challenge. Yesterday's Dutch lad who caught Kane committed a challenge far worse.

Football is broken!

Think the only thing for me is the Dutch defender isn’t reckless or lunging in, he was only looking to block a shot. He had no other way of making a challenge.

But agreed, football is broken because VAR would never have got involved in the past and we wouldn’t even have mentioned the ref’s decision on it.

Though it’s not broken in a repetitive narrative about Dale which is used to suit an argument full of holes.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Final (n/t) on 00:06 - Jul 12 with 2842 viewsSandyman

[Post edited 12 Jul 0:08]
Semis on 00:08 - Jul 12 with 2840 viewsSandyman

Semis on 13:33 - Jul 11 by R17ALE

Football is broken!

Apologies for my pedantry, R17ALE, but I remember that game all too well. It was against Burton Albion, not Boston. The ref was refereeing rookie Seb Stockbridge who had an awful game. The other thing I recall was a right arsehole of a keeper Burton had on loan who was a cocky, mouthy so and so.

Some w anchor called... Jordan Pickford!
[Post edited 12 Jul 2:30]
Semis on 13:13 - Jul 12 with 2517 viewsDale_4_Life

Semis on 00:08 - Jul 12 by Sandyman

Apologies for my pedantry, R17ALE, but I remember that game all too well. It was against Burton Albion, not Boston. The ref was refereeing rookie Seb Stockbridge who had an awful game. The other thing I recall was a right arsehole of a keeper Burton had on loan who was a cocky, mouthy so and so.

Some w anchor called... Jordan Pickford!
[Post edited 12 Jul 2:30]

8pm Sunday is getting closer.

I really hope Spotland bars are bouncing for the final on Sunday afternoon / evening.
Final on 11:44 - Jul 13 with 2193 viewssweetcorn

Final on 12:44 - Jul 11 by D_Alien

Might as well continue the Semis thread

I thought one of the key changes Southgate made was bringing on Shaw for Trippier. We just look more solid and Shaw is fresh after his injury layoff

We looked worse after shaws introduction, though that was through no fault of his own.

With the introduction of shaw we reverted to a back 4 and shoehorned Bellingham out to the left. Bellingham has hardly been great this tournament, but out on the left its pointless even having him on the pitch.

It was an odd decision from southgate as he'd landed on tactics which allows players to play in a more natural role (trippier aside, but id imagine he will start shaw in the final) and then seemingly tossed that at half time with his introduction.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Final on 13:16 - Jul 13 with 2094 viewsD_Alien

Final on 11:44 - Jul 13 by sweetcorn

We looked worse after shaws introduction, though that was through no fault of his own.

With the introduction of shaw we reverted to a back 4 and shoehorned Bellingham out to the left. Bellingham has hardly been great this tournament, but out on the left its pointless even having him on the pitch.

It was an odd decision from southgate as he'd landed on tactics which allows players to play in a more natural role (trippier aside, but id imagine he will start shaw in the final) and then seemingly tossed that at half time with his introduction.

That's a fair point

My issue with Southgate was being seemingly unable to "set players free" at the outset of the tournament, which (possibly through discussions with the team) looked to have got him out of the hole he'd dug for our more expressive players

I'd couch the Bellingham performance a bit differently: basically, he's becoming knackered during games after a very long (and successful) season but Southgate wants to keep him on the pitch for obvious reasons. It's likely Bellingham couldn't perform at his usual level for 90+ minutes so the solution was to restrict him from the roving role which his legs were no longer allowing him to undertake

How he deals with this for the final is another matter

Final on 18:42 - Jul 13 with 1890 viewsEllDale

Just watching extra time in the 1966 Workd Cup Final on Channel 4.
Frantic, end to end stuff. No acting, no histrionics, no subs.
And certainly no tiptap stuff.
Final on 22:16 - Jul 14 with 1456 viewsD_Alien

Best team won

We pushed them all the way to the last few minutes, so no complaints; just not quite at the same (exceptional) level

Final on 23:22 - Jul 14 with 1338 viewsNigeriamark

Final on 22:16 - Jul 14 by D_Alien

Best team won

We pushed them all the way to the last few minutes, so no complaints; just not quite at the same (exceptional) level

When Rodri didn't come out for the second half, I thought we might be able to get a lot more ball, but they have quality in depth. Rice had a poor game & hasn't been great the whole tournament, nothing like his Arsenal performances. Going forward I hope we give some of the younger lads the lead & that Kane becomes a squad player rather than automatic starter. I think it will all depend on if Southgate stays or goes.
Final on 08:31 - Jul 15 with 1139 viewswheniwasyourage

Final on 13:16 - Jul 13 by D_Alien

That's a fair point

My issue with Southgate was being seemingly unable to "set players free" at the outset of the tournament, which (possibly through discussions with the team) looked to have got him out of the hole he'd dug for our more expressive players

I'd couch the Bellingham performance a bit differently: basically, he's becoming knackered during games after a very long (and successful) season but Southgate wants to keep him on the pitch for obvious reasons. It's likely Bellingham couldn't perform at his usual level for 90+ minutes so the solution was to restrict him from the roving role which his legs were no longer allowing him to undertake

How he deals with this for the final is another matter

From reading all your posts it seems the team has underperformed.... when that happens I am told you look to the management. All these talented players, tearing up trees for their clubs but not for England...

Time for a change at the top - that Jurgen Klopp chap is free
Final on 09:41 - Jul 15 with 1047 viewsNorthernDale

I think Klopp would be a good fit, but I think Southgate will be offered a new contract and but will he sign one?

The problem was when we attacked with pace, we looked good, but for to much of the game, it was pedestrian, possession negative football and there was a number of times, we were on the Spains box and seconds later, it was being passed back to our defenders and on a couple of occasions to Pickford. The England under Southgate has made progression and we have some brilliant footballers, but is some times hamstrung by tactics, which are more suited to youth football.
Final on 09:48 - Jul 15 with 1040 viewswatford_dale

Final on 08:31 - Jul 15 by wheniwasyourage

From reading all your posts it seems the team has underperformed.... when that happens I am told you look to the management. All these talented players, tearing up trees for their clubs but not for England...

Time for a change at the top - that Jurgen Klopp chap is free

Same s**t, different tournament!

Hopefully the new manager may think, that Palmer chap isn't that bad and we seem to be more attacking when he is on the pitch. Should I start with him?

I would keep Southgate around just for the draw, as he definitely gets the jammiest draws of all time. Good in the fact we can get to a final not playing one of the favourites, bad because when we get to the final we have not faced that level of opposition.

Well Spain look good for the world cup, especially with that midfield.
Final on 09:54 - Jul 15 with 1025 views100569

Final on 09:41 - Jul 15 by NorthernDale

I think Klopp would be a good fit, but I think Southgate will be offered a new contract and but will he sign one?

The problem was when we attacked with pace, we looked good, but for to much of the game, it was pedestrian, possession negative football and there was a number of times, we were on the Spains box and seconds later, it was being passed back to our defenders and on a couple of occasions to Pickford. The England under Southgate has made progression and we have some brilliant footballers, but is some times hamstrung by tactics, which are more suited to youth football.

Gary Linekar got it right after the game. It was a victory for attacking football.
Final on 11:04 - Jul 15 with 893 viewsJames1980

Final on 09:54 - Jul 15 by 100569

Gary Linekar got it right after the game. It was a victory for attacking football.

But it wasn't just attacking based. Spain had more possession and made over double the number of accurate passes.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Final on 11:25 - Jul 15 with 861 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Final on 11:04 - Jul 15 by James1980

But it wasn't just attacking based. Spain had more possession and made over double the number of accurate passes.

Moving on to home and more important matters, I wonder what ,if anything McNulty has learned from the Euros Competition?

Just hope his mindset is more Spanish than English.
Final on 11:44 - Jul 15 with 802 viewsisitme

Final on 11:04 - Jul 15 by James1980

They pressed more and much higher as well. We had a good period after we scored but then drifted deeper and deeper. I get it limit the space for them to play through but ultimately if good players have time and space eventually they will find a gap or a tired player will switch off.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024