Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just one of those games 17:18 - Oct 4 with 2507 viewsColDale

Can't argue with the efforts of anyone today, but the result was just one of those things which happen in football.

Just seemed that every thing we did got blocked and if I was being critical of ourselves, I thought we played it a bit too much like a cup tie. Bringing Andrew on made us too direct rather than doing the things that we do well. We're a footballing side and we do play a bit direct at times when we mix it up, but was a little hopeful rather than purposeful as we chased the game.

I'd imagine that our shot count was quite high (without forcing many saves), and I think most at the ground felt that if we had got one, we'd have got a second goal but the scoreline allowed a certain way of playing against us, and getting back into the game was always going to be an issue. Not sure playing Lund was the right thing (the JPT game seemed the perfect opportunity to do that),but Hery did himself few favours when he did come on.

Barnsley looked alright in the first half, and dangerous on the break but they're clearly a team playing within themselves rather than as a team. Second half, they offered very little, and would suggest the game plan was just to sit deep. One of the smallest away followings from a Yorkshire side in memory.

We've talked a lot about reffing decisions in recent weeks, but surely Lanashire's challenge was as obvious a red card as anything that we've seen. Was no more deliberate than Eastham's last week, but it was a clear shot on goal after that.

Draw would have been the fairest result, but we all know better than to go OTT on one result. We're a good side, and even on the evidence of today, we'll finish above them at the end of the season.

*wrong player edit*

This post has been edited by an administrator
Just one of those games on 17:23 - Oct 4 with 2455 viewsSaxonDale

Very similar to the Bradford game. We need to tighten up from set pieces, Barnsley defended well after going 1 up and were happy to defend with 11 behind the ball. That Cole looked a good player for them and Allen was our best player by a fair distance. I thought Tanser was poor with his distribution and Vincenti should have done better with his two chances but never mind, it was jus another league match.
Just one of those games on 17:38 - Oct 4 with 2341 viewsD_Alien

Only one thing can be said after that: well done Barnsley. They nullified us as well an anyone this season, although we did play into their hands to some extent.

No-one had a bad game but I thought our energy levels were down just a notch or two from recent performances - from incredible to decent. I've been expecting this though. Done was given nothing to feed on and Hendo was quietish.

Agree about Lund. he did ok but when we needed to get at them early on I thought the midfield trio didn't quite have the same flair as when Hery gets on the ball. It's not entirely fair on him to say he did himself no favours when he's expected to chase the game for 15-20 minutes instead of settling into his own rhythm.

Vincenti's opportunities should have changed the game but didn't, but then again Winnall missed the easiest chance of the lot.

I think it's going to be a pattern for the season that we'll lose a few home games because there are very few sides in L1 not capable of playing well enough to cause a problem. So far, Peterborough, Bradford and now Barnsley have all done enough, when the game could have gone either way. C'est la vie.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just one of those games on 17:51 - Oct 4 with 2237 viewsmacro

Barnsley defended excellently and got men behind the ball nullifying both done and Henderson. The first goal today was always going to be crucial. Shame it was a defensive error from the corner for it.
Just one of those games on 17:52 - Oct 4 with 2230 viewsNigeriamark

Just one of those games on 17:38 - Oct 4 by D_Alien

Only one thing can be said after that: well done Barnsley. They nullified us as well an anyone this season, although we did play into their hands to some extent.

No-one had a bad game but I thought our energy levels were down just a notch or two from recent performances - from incredible to decent. I've been expecting this though. Done was given nothing to feed on and Hendo was quietish.

Agree about Lund. he did ok but when we needed to get at them early on I thought the midfield trio didn't quite have the same flair as when Hery gets on the ball. It's not entirely fair on him to say he did himself no favours when he's expected to chase the game for 15-20 minutes instead of settling into his own rhythm.

Vincenti's opportunities should have changed the game but didn't, but then again Winnall missed the easiest chance of the lot.

I think it's going to be a pattern for the season that we'll lose a few home games because there are very few sides in L1 not capable of playing well enough to cause a problem. So far, Peterborough, Bradford and now Barnsley have all done enough, when the game could have gone either way. C'est la vie.

In all those games we have conceded first and haven't been able to then break down teams who "park the bus" When we score first teams will have to open up & that seems to suit us
Just one of those games on 17:52 - Oct 4 with 2226 viewsSwissdale

Decent effort first half but poor substitutions made us weaker as the game went on. Are Andrew and Bunney good enough for league one? Bunney in particular I'm not so sure about. Agree with the rest that picking Lund ahead of Hery was a poor decision, there's something to be said about not changing a winning team.

All in all not a bad performance from the lads, and not too deflated to lose. Vincenti's chance goes in the first half and the game opens up. Barnsley set up very well and were hard to break down.

One more point, we still can't defend set pieces.
Just one of those games on 18:01 - Oct 4 with 2134 viewsTalkingSutty

Just one of those games on 17:23 - Oct 4 by SaxonDale

Very similar to the Bradford game. We need to tighten up from set pieces, Barnsley defended well after going 1 up and were happy to defend with 11 behind the ball. That Cole looked a good player for them and Allen was our best player by a fair distance. I thought Tanser was poor with his distribution and Vincenti should have done better with his two chances but never mind, it was jus another league match.

Agree with that, Cole caused problems throughout the game. It was a bitty performance today and the saves from the Barnsley keeper during the first half proved to be the turning point I thought.

The second half substitutions seemed to muddy the waters and made us poorer, all in all a bad day at the office. Credit to Barnsley they put a good shift in and you could see they are in a false position in the league.

Todays scoreline didn't surprise me, it was always going to be a tough game,draw a line and move on.
Just one of those games on 18:46 - Oct 4 with 1964 viewsDiddyDave

Why is there no game next week?
Just one of those games on 18:49 - Oct 4 with 1938 viewsnordenblue

Just one of those games on 18:46 - Oct 4 by DiddyDave

International callups
Login to get fewer ads

Just one of those games on 18:50 - Oct 4 with 1927 viewsSuddenLad

Just one of those games on 18:46 - Oct 4 by DiddyDave

MK Dons have claimed a postponement because their players are on International duty. Game has been rearranged for November 25th.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Just one of those games on 21:27 - Oct 4 with 1652 viewstazzydjr

Referee favored them no matter what the tarns could do no wrong, The keeper time wasted yet the official's ignored that and need punishing by the governing body for that though we'd be over dodgy officials moving up a league even after that we'd couldn't score at all today after some of the easiest chance's in football but maybe Rochdale are playing mind games ahead of May 2015, god knows but it still wasn't worth losing a point or three over at the end of the day, i also met whitey pre-match.

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Just one of those games on 21:48 - Oct 4 with 1575 viewsbatman

Just one of those games on 21:27 - Oct 4 by tazzydjr

Referee favored them no matter what the tarns could do no wrong, The keeper time wasted yet the official's ignored that and need punishing by the governing body for that though we'd be over dodgy officials moving up a league even after that we'd couldn't score at all today after some of the easiest chance's in football but maybe Rochdale are playing mind games ahead of May 2015, god knows but it still wasn't worth losing a point or three over at the end of the day, i also met whitey pre-match.

,.?!'"-/:;&
Any of the above exist in your world Taz?
[Post edited 4 Oct 2014 21:50]
Just one of those games on 23:49 - Oct 4 with 1438 viewsWhiteyBFC

Just one of those games on 21:27 - Oct 4 by tazzydjr

Good to meet you, Tazzy. Get in touch before the return game and I'll show you the delights of Barnsley.

Some good posts in this thread.

Just a point - Keith never won a game (in the league) whilst our manager, after going behind first. He did in the cup, once. Against Rochdale....

And his defence couldn't defend set pieces.

Night, lads.
Just one of those games on 10:06 - Oct 5 with 1253 viewsBeckWMG

Good summary Col.

I agree, was a strange one to include Lund. Hery didn't deserve to be dropped.

I think Barnsley had a gameplay to disrupt us and it worked well.
We play with a very high tempo and any chance they had to slow the game down they did. It worked well for them as at no point in the game did I feel we had any momentum. They took their time on every goal kick and throw in.
The referee warned Turnbull in the first half for time wasting. Don't think I've ever seen a GK warned in the first half before. Speaks for itself.

We had a lot of ball in Barnsley's final third but more often than not we couldn't create any chances and the ones we did we showed little composure.
Plenty of chances to put good balls into the box as well but the quality was poor.

Plenty of praise for Jamie Allen today but stand out Rochdale MOM was Logan.
He was the only reason we were in with a shout up until the final whistle. Several superb saves, couple of one on ones not to mention the penalty. His distribution wasn't his best today but we can forgive him for that.

All in all when you see Barnsley fans delighted and relieved they have come here and won then for me you can't get a better indication of how far we've come.

Not a fixture other teams relish now coming to Spotland

Bring on Walsall and the Gills.

Up the dale.
Just one of those games on 16:41 - Oct 5 with 1048 viewsdingdangblue

Just one of those games on 23:49 - Oct 4 by WhiteyBFC

Good to meet you, Tazzy. Get in touch before the return game and I'll show you the delights of Barnsley.

Some good posts in this thread.

Just a point - Keith never won a game (in the league) whilst our manager, after going behind first. He did in the cup, once. Against Rochdale....

And his defence couldn't defend set pieces.

Night, lads.

Well he's won shit loads with us after we've gone behind so what's your point?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Just one of those games on 17:34 - Oct 5 with 983 viewsTVOS1907

Just one of those games on 16:41 - Oct 5 by dingdangblue

I'd be interested to see the stats for other Barnsley managers, but there's been that many, you would need a MASSIVE spreadsheet to work them all out.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Just one of those games on 20:05 - Oct 5 with 890 viewsWhiteyBFC

Just one of those games on 16:41 - Oct 5 by dingdangblue

Three points, surely?
Just one of those games on 20:10 - Oct 5 with 882 viewsWhiteyBFC

Just one of those games on 17:34 - Oct 5 by TVOS1907

I'd be interested to see the stats for other Barnsley managers, but there's been that many, you would need a MASSIVE spreadsheet to work them all out.

And you've had so few have you?

A lot easier though to have good stats managing Rochdale in Leagues 1 and 2 than it is managing Barnsley in the second and first tier.

Did you know, that Danny and Keith had the EXACT same PPG as managers, until yesterday. Exactly the same. Think it was 1.47 per game.
Just one of those games on 20:16 - Oct 5 with 871 viewsTVOS1907

Just one of those games on 20:10 - Oct 5 by WhiteyBFC

And you've had so few have you?

A lot easier though to have good stats managing Rochdale in Leagues 1 and 2 than it is managing Barnsley in the second and first tier.

Did you know, that Danny and Keith had the EXACT same PPG as managers, until yesterday. Exactly the same. Think it was 1.47 per game.

Tbf, Whitey, my post was in response to your stat about Hill's time at Barnsley. It was nothing to do with our managers.

Just one of those games on 20:18 - Oct 5 with 868 viewsWhiteyBFC

Just one of those games on 20:16 - Oct 5 by TVOS1907

Tbf, Whitey, my post was in response to your stat about Hill's time at Barnsley. It was nothing to do with our managers.

Ah well. You can't win em all.

Bradford, Chesterfield, Sheff Utd and now us.

Yorkshire...
Just one of those games on 20:24 - Oct 5 with 863 viewsTVOS1907

Just one of those games on 20:18 - Oct 5 by WhiteyBFC

Ah well. You can't win em all.

Bradford, Chesterfield, Sheff Utd and now us.

Yorkshire...

Has Chesterfield moved?

Just one of those games on 20:31 - Oct 5 with 846 viewsWhiteyBFC

Just one of those games on 20:24 - Oct 5 by TVOS1907

Has Chesterfield moved?

It's classed as Yorkshire for some reason in football terms. Their games are broadcasted on Radio Sheffield. Their goals etc are on Look North/Calendar.

But you're right, it's North Derbyshire innit?

Some of us from the fanzine are walking from Barnsley to the Chesterfield match, for charidee.
Just one of those games on 20:35 - Oct 5 with 829 viewsTVOS1907

Just one of those games on 20:31 - Oct 5 by WhiteyBFC

It's classed as Yorkshire for some reason in football terms. Their games are broadcasted on Radio Sheffield. Their goals etc are on Look North/Calendar.

But you're right, it's North Derbyshire innit?

Some of us from the fanzine are walking from Barnsley to the Chesterfield match, for charidee.

In days of yore, Granada, with Elton Welsby, used to show goals from Port Vale and Stoke, as they were classed as Granada teams.

And Tranmere. Every week.

Just one of those games on 13:54 - Oct 6 with 628 viewsParkinsGimp

Yep one of those games but we definitely need a centre forward, poor Vincente missed at least 3 sitters. and with the best will in the world we cannot keep relying on two very good attacking midfielders in Hendo and Done to keep scoring.
I am sorry but Andrew is absolutely useless and would even struggle in the conference !. Bunney isnt quite ready for this standard of football, certainly not as the main man.
Just one of those games on 14:52 - Oct 6 with 578 viewsdingdangblue

Just one of those games on 13:54 - Oct 6 by ParkinsGimp

Yep one of those games but we definitely need a centre forward, poor Vincente missed at least 3 sitters. and with the best will in the world we cannot keep relying on two very good attacking midfielders in Hendo and Done to keep scoring.
I am sorry but Andrew is absolutely useless and would even struggle in the conference !. Bunney isnt quite ready for this standard of football, certainly not as the main man.

To be fair they weren't sitters and one was a brilliant save from Turnbull.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024