Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is your opinion? 08:53 - Apr 4 with 8197 viewsLucyrochdale

I am a primary school teacher (year 5). I have a rule that children are not allowed to go to the toilet during lesson time.
What is your opinion? on 09:07 - Apr 4 with 4909 viewsD_Alien

Please miss, unless this is a piss-take, why do you think you can implement your own personal rulebook on calls of nature? Is there not a school policy?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

What is your opinion? on 09:11 - Apr 4 with 4894 viewsLucyrochdale

What is your opinion? on 09:07 - Apr 4 by D_Alien

Please miss, unless this is a piss-take, why do you think you can implement your own personal rulebook on calls of nature? Is there not a school policy?

It is down to teacher discretion. Year 5 are 9 and 10, they can hold on until break.
What is your opinion? on 09:20 - Apr 4 with 4854 viewsD_Alien

What is your opinion? on 09:11 - Apr 4 by Lucyrochdale

It is down to teacher discretion. Year 5 are 9 and 10, they can hold on until break.

It's a very long time since I sat in a primary school classroom, but if for instance a child has a temporary medical problem, they may not be able to hold on till break

Do you risk having them shit their pants, and stinking the classroom out? Your call

What is your opinion? on 09:21 - Apr 4 with 4854 viewsrochdale_ranger

My partner is a teacher and works with kids with behavioural needs and he said it depends how much it is distracting them etc. Personally if the kid needs to go let them go.
What is your opinion? on 09:35 - Apr 4 with 4797 viewsD_Alien

For what it's worth, I do understand the need to retain classroom control (and not just of bowels and bladder!)

I think it's wrong for the school to allow teachers discretion - children need to know where they stand - or sit - and having one rule by one teacher and different rules by others isn't a great example to them

What's your opinion on that?

[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 9:36]

What is your opinion? on 09:37 - Apr 4 with 4790 viewsLucyrochdale

What is your opinion? on 09:20 - Apr 4 by D_Alien

It's a very long time since I sat in a primary school classroom, but if for instance a child has a temporary medical problem, they may not be able to hold on till break

Do you risk having them shit their pants, and stinking the classroom out? Your call

If they have a medical problem I should be made aware.

One of the parents were annoyed last week because I made her daughter wait for the afternoon, the girl asked 5 minutes after lunch.
What is your opinion? on 09:38 - Apr 4 with 4782 viewsLucyrochdale

What is your opinion? on 09:35 - Apr 4 by D_Alien

For what it's worth, I do understand the need to retain classroom control (and not just of bowels and bladder!)

I think it's wrong for the school to allow teachers discretion - children need to know where they stand - or sit - and having one rule by one teacher and different rules by others isn't a great example to them

What's your opinion on that?

[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 9:36]

I totally see your point. But I don't think you could have the same toilet policy for both younger and older children.
What is your opinion? on 09:42 - Apr 4 with 4759 viewsjoecooke

What is your opinion? on 09:37 - Apr 4 by Lucyrochdale

One of the parents were annoyed last week because I made her daughter wait for the afternoon, the girl asked 5 minutes after lunch.

Do you normally teach full afternoons in a mainstream high school?

Sorry didnt read it properly,but if a child in a primary school needs the toilet in a 2/2.5 hour period then its unfair to deny that in my opinion,we are not in Victorian era.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 9:48]

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Login to get fewer ads

What is your opinion? on 09:43 - Apr 4 with 4755 viewsfitzochris

What is your opinion? on 09:38 - Apr 4 by Lucyrochdale

I totally see your point. But I don't think you could have the same toilet policy for both younger and older children.

Completely disagree with this. Children should be allowed to use the toilet whenever they need to.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

What is your opinion? on 09:48 - Apr 4 with 4728 viewsPaulHeymanGuy

I'm sorry but it's totally wrong for you to deny anybody going to the toilet when they need to.
Holding in urine is extremely bad for your health. I'm not sure why you'd even consider this being the right thing to do. How would you feel if your child came home and said that they wet or sh*t themselves because their teacher wouldn't let them go to the toilet when they needed too? Would you be cleaning any mess up for these students If they were left with no alternative but to go in their pants? The last point also could lead to bullying in from class mates if it was to happen.

Sounds like somebody went into teaching for a power trip rather than wanting the best for these kids.
What is your opinion? on 09:54 - Apr 4 with 4688 viewsLucyrochdale

What is your opinion? on 09:42 - Apr 4 by joecooke

Do you normally teach full afternoons in a mainstream high school?

Sorry didnt read it properly,but if a child in a primary school needs the toilet in a 2/2.5 hour period then its unfair to deny that in my opinion,we are not in Victorian era.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 9:48]

The longest they go without a break is a couple of hours. If the girl had gone at lunch she would have had no problem. They are 9 and 10 they should be able to hold their wee.
What is your opinion? on 09:57 - Apr 4 with 4669 viewsfitzochris

What is your opinion? on 09:54 - Apr 4 by Lucyrochdale

The longest they go without a break is a couple of hours. If the girl had gone at lunch she would have had no problem. They are 9 and 10 they should be able to hold their wee.

I reckon you’re on the wind up.

If I need a slash at work, I get up and go to the toilet. I don’t sit there doing a contortionist act in my chair, giving myself abdominal pain into the bargain.

Sometimes I need the toilet after just coming back from lunch. That’s the way it goes. My body doesn’t run to a corporate clock.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

What is your opinion? on 09:57 - Apr 4 with 4668 viewsDaleiLama

Is it always the same child wanting to go to the loo or different ones i.e. is it an attempt to exert power? If so, you may wish to consider pre-emptive visits before class starts?

If not, and the child is in a genuine state of anguish, I would think it would be wrong to deny an "exceptional" visit. Especially if the child had a tendency towards your namesake! That might be more distracting than allowing a short bathroom break.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

What is your opinion? on 09:59 - Apr 4 with 4661 viewsD_Alien

A child might've eaten or drank something which disagreed with them that day, so their parents wouldn't have any pre-knowledge of it. Have you never been similarly indisposed?

What is your opinion? on 10:00 - Apr 4 with 4657 viewsnordenblue

It's not Strangeways you're teaching at is It?

Get a grip and an element of common sense helps,if my daughter came home from school having wet herself as a result of some control freak like you I'd certainly have something to say about it to you.
What is your opinion? on 10:07 - Apr 4 with 4614 viewsLucyrochdale

What is your opinion? on 10:00 - Apr 4 by nordenblue

It's not Strangeways you're teaching at is It?

Get a grip and an element of common sense helps,if my daughter came home from school having wet herself as a result of some control freak like you I'd certainly have something to say about it to you.

9 and 10 year olds shouldn't be wetting themselves.
What is your opinion? on 10:07 - Apr 4 with 4614 viewsBarrowdale

It is "one of the parents was annoyed"
Hope you don't teach grammar!
What is your opinion? on 10:07 - Apr 4 with 4612 viewsEllGazzell

I hope you're not teaching them English.

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

What is your opinion? on 10:11 - Apr 4 with 4592 viewsjoecooke

Definate wind up!

My daughter had started her periods by this age and if she hadnt been allowed a trip to the bathroom when needed then i can assure you that words would have been had with the school.

I also work in education, severe special needs as it goes and your policy certainly would work in our environment!

What is your opinion? on 10:24 - Apr 4 with 4531 viewsrochdale_ranger

What is your opinion? on 10:11 - Apr 4 by joecooke

Definate wind up!

My daughter had started her periods by this age and if she hadnt been allowed a trip to the bathroom when needed then i can assure you that words would have been had with the school.

I also work in education, severe special needs as it goes and your policy certainly would work in our environment!

How does one get so wound up over a thread about children’s toilet habits? Calm down ffs. Some kids use going to the toilet as an excuse to skive of and wander around the school. I know I did at that age. And in the exceptional circumstances a primary aged child was on the rag In sure exceptions would be made. When I worked in the construction industry I used to have 16 and 18 year old apprentices who used to go for phantom shits and pisses to avoid work. Expecting your little darlings to hold their piss for an hour is not torture.
What is your opinion? on 10:30 - Apr 4 with 4509 viewsjoecooke

What is your opinion? on 10:24 - Apr 4 by rochdale_ranger

How does one get so wound up over a thread about children’s toilet habits? Calm down ffs. Some kids use going to the toilet as an excuse to skive of and wander around the school. I know I did at that age. And in the exceptional circumstances a primary aged child was on the rag In sure exceptions would be made. When I worked in the construction industry I used to have 16 and 18 year old apprentices who used to go for phantom shits and pisses to avoid work. Expecting your little darlings to hold their piss for an hour is not torture.

I am not wound up fella,the question was What is your opinion? So i gave one,not that its got fook all to do with you.

What is your opinion? on 10:42 - Apr 4 with 4457 viewsDaleiLama

"Teacher" coming on football forum where most of posters will be male asking about a falling out with a mum over toileting and exhibiting grammar not befitting a teacher? Wouldn't you go on mumsnet? Hmmmmmmmm. Benefit of the doubt that Lucy was a Dale fan at first, but think she might have logged on to her dad's computer now. Good to know Milly is alive and kicking at least.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 10:47]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

What is your opinion? on 10:45 - Apr 4 with 4437 viewsSaxonDale

It's one which requires common sense and perhaps isn't as easy as introducing a blanket rule either way. If you let children go whenever they want then you will always get some take the pee (pun intended) and go several times a day, however there has got to be common sense and usually it's quite obvious if a child needs the toilet. There are also naturally parts of a lesson which are more important to be in the classroom than others- usually an 'are you desperate?' or 'can you please just wait 2 minutes?' suffice- the kids will let you know if they can't!

Ultimately teaching is about knowing your class and judging what's best to help them and their learning. Trust yourself to make the right judgements, you know them better than any of us.
What is your opinion? on 11:11 - Apr 4 with 4348 viewsmingthemerciless

About a month ago I was browsing another local football club site when this exact question was posed by a complete newcomer to the site. Just like this thread. Is that a coincidence ?
What is your opinion? on 11:14 - Apr 4 with 4324 viewsrochdale_ranger

What is your opinion? on 11:11 - Apr 4 by mingthemerciless

About a month ago I was browsing another local football club site when this exact question was posed by a complete newcomer to the site. Just like this thread. Is that a coincidence ?

Do you think she’s taking the piss.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024