Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFR Bonfire Night 11:02 - Nov 6 with 4281 viewsJames1980

Where I live in the south east Bonfire Night is a big thing. Starting at the beginning of September till mid November, each weekend a different town or village will have a procession a Bonfire and organised firework display. On 5th of November the town of Lewes has a massive celebration where the seven Bonfire societies plus others from towns in villages, join in a torch light procession through the town. Then go to their respective fire sites where there are large bonfires and impressive fire work display.
Just wondering how well is November 5th celebrated in Rochdale and other towns and villages in the North West?
[Post edited 6 Nov 2022 12:18]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

NFR Bonfire Night on 11:20 - Nov 6 with 3498 viewsDorsetDale

We had bonfire on the beach and fireworks last weekend so as not to clash with the local rugby club that put on a short but excellent firework display last night.
In august, at the end of carnival week, we have a torchlight procession through town and down to the beach where torches are thrown on a bonfire.
Down the road in devon they have this: https://www.devonlive.com/whats-on/whats-on-news/epic-ottery-tar-barrels-2022-76

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

NFR Bonfire Night on 12:08 - Nov 6 with 3426 viewsD_Alien

Compared to when i was a lad (i.e. in the decades following Guido's demise), Bommie Night is becoming a slowly dying tradition, mainly due to Elf & Safety

Although a few homely bommies are still arranged here and there, local councils usually just put on a Fireworks Display or even worse - if they do hold a proper bommie, on the wrong night

This year, there was meant to be one on Cronkeyshaw Common on Wednesday 2 November but it was a total washout (i suspect, didn't go, but the rain was teeming down)

We had a bommie in our back garden when i was a lad, and in the half term week leading up to it we and a neighbouring gang used to raid each other's pile of firewood; great fun, if you didn't mind risking getting your head kicked in! Tbf, it was a very big garden away from the house, council property

Back then, there'd be a couple of bommies in every neighbourhood, the entire night-time landscape of the town dotted with blazing lights

To me, rather than representing the demise of the Gunpowder Plotters, it's to do with the older tradition of making fires to ward off the darkening late autumn daylight, when communities had genuine reason to fear the onset of winter. The Guy Fawkes thing was just tacked onto that more ancient tradition

[Post edited 6 Nov 2022 12:16]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

NFR Bonfire Night on 13:18 - Nov 6 with 3322 viewsTomRAFC

Growing up, I loved bonfire night. Mainly because my nan would turn up with homemade parkin, flapjack and treacle toffee. Oh, and a big pot of black peas for my dad.

Sadly our German Shepherd was terrified of fireworks, poor thing.

I live across from Heaton Park now and there used to be a brilliant fireworks display but the council have said it's gotten too expensive to put on this year.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2022 13:19]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

NFR Bonfire Night on 13:36 - Nov 6 with 3298 views49thseason

the Cricket and Lacrosse clubs used to have a joint bonfire and fireworks display down at Redbrook. They didnt bother with a bonfire this year as the Council rules and regulations were more trouble than it was worth... you wonder how our kids will ever figure out what is risky and what isnt if we try to protect everyone from everything and end up with whole generations who think video games and TV are the same as real life. I imagine the council actually pays someone to dream up more things that need a mountain of rules and regulations that they can a) charge for or b) put a stop to.
NFR Bonfire Night on 14:09 - Nov 6 with 3272 viewsJames1980

Health and Safety doesn't seem to exist in Lewes on Bonfire Night. Kids march with adults holding flaming torches, bangers are thrown at a bloke dressed as the pope from 1605. Sensible precautions like boarding up shop windows and closing the town to traffic take place.

DA you are absolutely right about ancient traditions. For example the concept of throwing tokens into water and making a wish is thought to have roots in Celtic/Druidic tradition.

NFR Bonfire Night on 14:16 - Nov 6 with 3267 viewsD_Alien

NFR Bonfire Night on 14:09 - Nov 6 by James1980

Health and Safety doesn't seem to exist in Lewes on Bonfire Night. Kids march with adults holding flaming torches, bangers are thrown at a bloke dressed as the pope from 1605. Sensible precautions like boarding up shop windows and closing the town to traffic take place.

DA you are absolutely right about ancient traditions. For example the concept of throwing tokens into water and making a wish is thought to have roots in Celtic/Druidic tradition.

There's barely a tradition that doesn't have more ancient roots

Bonfire Night, Halloween, first footing on New Year's Eve, Easter, Christmas Day itself...

NFR Bonfire Night on 15:06 - Nov 6 with 3200 viewsTVOS1907

NFR Bonfire Night on 13:36 - Nov 6 by 49thseason

the Cricket and Lacrosse clubs used to have a joint bonfire and fireworks display down at Redbrook. They didnt bother with a bonfire this year as the Council rules and regulations were more trouble than it was worth... you wonder how our kids will ever figure out what is risky and what isnt if we try to protect everyone from everything and end up with whole generations who think video games and TV are the same as real life. I imagine the council actually pays someone to dream up more things that need a mountain of rules and regulations that they can a) charge for or b) put a stop to.

There was a huge, well-attended bonfire at Littleborough CC last night.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:03 - Nov 6 with 3081 viewsmikehunt

James, my daughter lives in Surrey and they went to a bonfire in Brockham last night.
I was seriously jealous. The fire was enormous with people dressed up and parading with burning torches. It was positively medieval.
How come this is such a big deal down there? I believe the Lewes one has something to do with anti-papacy doesn’t it?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Login to get fewer ads

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:07 - Nov 6 with 3078 viewsNigeriamark

NFR Bonfire Night on 13:18 - Nov 6 by TomRAFC

Growing up, I loved bonfire night. Mainly because my nan would turn up with homemade parkin, flapjack and treacle toffee. Oh, and a big pot of black peas for my dad.

Sadly our German Shepherd was terrified of fireworks, poor thing.

I live across from Heaton Park now and there used to be a brilliant fireworks display but the council have said it's gotten too expensive to put on this year.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2022 13:19]

I used to like penny for the guy when I was a kid. Earning a few bob over a week or so by making up the guy from old clothes was all part of the fun ( pre - decimalization at first !!). 1 year we dressed up someones baby brother in old rags instead of making a guy & pushed him around in an old pram for about 4 hours. His parents went nuts when they found out but it was the most we ever collected

Black peas with a dash of vinegar was always my favorite on Bomie night

[Post edited 6 Nov 2022 17:09]
NFR Bonfire Night on 17:11 - Nov 6 with 3057 viewsJames1980

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:03 - Nov 6 by mikehunt

James, my daughter lives in Surrey and they went to a bonfire in Brockham last night.
I was seriously jealous. The fire was enormous with people dressed up and parading with burning torches. It was positively medieval.
How come this is such a big deal down there? I believe the Lewes one has something to do with anti-papacy doesn’t it?

Yes that is it, although they are quick to make sure people now that it is not today's Pope/Catholic Church being referred to but those who were about at the time of The Plot.
Also in the reign of Queen Mary I aka Bloody Mary 17 protestant martyrs were burned at the stake in Lewes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewes Martyrs.

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:11 - Nov 6 with 3057 views442Dale

NFR Bonfire Night on 15:06 - Nov 6 by TVOS1907

There was a huge, well-attended bonfire at Littleborough CC last night.

As did Norden CC, the village was full of cars/people. With two such big events on the same night, this, plus a multitude of other factors, may have influenced decisions made by other places to hold one.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:21 - Nov 6 with 3040 viewsD_Alien

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:11 - Nov 6 by 442Dale

As did Norden CC, the village was full of cars/people. With two such big events on the same night, this, plus a multitude of other factors, may have influenced decisions made by other places to hold one.

Wish i'd known about that. Where was it advertised?

Saw the advert for the Cronkey Common one on Rochdale Online, and also saw the Littleborough one advertised somewhere. Maybe enough local people knew about it to achieve capacity?
[Post edited 6 Nov 2022 17:22]

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:34 - Nov 6 with 3013 views442Dale

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:21 - Nov 6 by D_Alien

Wish i'd known about that. Where was it advertised?

Saw the advert for the Cronkey Common one on Rochdale Online, and also saw the Littleborough one advertised somewhere. Maybe enough local people knew about it to achieve capacity?
[Post edited 6 Nov 2022 17:22]

It was on their twitter for a good while beforehand so guess it was on various other social media too.

It’s been going for a decade and more now and it seems to be as busy as ever in terms of cars parked all down Edenfield Rd and the estate round the ground.

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:38 - Nov 6 with 3003 viewsD_Alien

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:34 - Nov 6 by 442Dale

It was on their twitter for a good while beforehand so guess it was on various other social media too.

It’s been going for a decade and more now and it seems to be as busy as ever in terms of cars parked all down Edenfield Rd and the estate round the ground.

Don't do Twitter, but i'll try to remember it for next year, cheers

NFR Bonfire Night on 19:07 - Nov 6 with 2921 viewsjudd

NFR Bonfire Night on 17:07 - Nov 6 by Nigeriamark

I used to like penny for the guy when I was a kid. Earning a few bob over a week or so by making up the guy from old clothes was all part of the fun ( pre - decimalization at first !!). 1 year we dressed up someones baby brother in old rags instead of making a guy & pushed him around in an old pram for about 4 hours. His parents went nuts when they found out but it was the most we ever collected

Black peas with a dash of vinegar was always my favorite on Bomie night

[Post edited 6 Nov 2022 17:09]

Done that too, using a live guy fawkes in a pram.

Didn't help at times when, upon receiving a few pennies our guy chirped in with "thanks missus/ mister"

"You little shit, you almost gave me a heart attack" was perhaps the politest response i remember.

Poll: What is it to be then?

NFR Bonfire Night on 19:09 - Nov 6 with 2919 viewsforeverhopefulDale

There seems to me more emphasis on Halloween than bonfire night nowadays. There was a time when bonfire night was big, I too remember nicking wood from other bommies , black peas , etc, but as time went on Halloween grew in popularity and gradually took over. Do more and more families struggle to do both and do today's kids prefer Halloween? When I was a kid I preferred bommie night in fact there was not really any Halloween, but as my kids were growing up, they wanted both.

Regarding Health and safety, well I for one are glad at the reduction in people being injured and indeed losing their lives. I do however believe in big community bonfires and displays.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

NFR Bonfire Night on 22:08 - Nov 6 with 2785 viewsChaffRAFC

As did Heywood CC.

Absolutely packed out, superb firework display too.

Always loved Bonfire Night and I don't actually know why, I can only guess it's because the seems to mark the start of winter and Christmas festivities can start but I've always enjoyed it.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

NFR Bonfire Night on 23:11 - Nov 6 with 2737 viewsD_Alien

Just as a matter of interest, these bommies that are held at cricket clubs... do they take place on the cricket field?

NFR Bonfire Night on 23:12 - Nov 6 with 2731 viewsR17ALE

I remember 1983 on November 5th, we were at home to Stockport and I was more excited about the bommie and fireworks due at 5.00 that evening. At about 4.40pm we were losing 2-1 and I left early for the first time ever, giving up if you like, for a bommie. At about 7pm, our neighbour, Walter, turned up with a Pink and I learned that someone called Oates had equalised in the 90th minute. Best bommie ever!

And my nan used to bring parkin and treacle toffee too. Must be a nan thing!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

NFR Bonfire Night on 23:47 - Nov 6 with 2692 viewsSandyman

1960's/70's - collecting bommie wood. Raiding (or guarding your own pile) for your own area bommie was de rigeur. Regular knocks on the door for "Penny for the guy" of an evening. The bommie was a "community" function but wasn't strictly organised with rules etc - it evolved through years of tradition. Mum's on the street next to the bommie with treacle toffee, parkin and black peas for all. Everyone setting off their own fireworks. Rockets set off from sterilized milk bottles.

My mum had a thing called "Bonfire tea" where your meal on arriving home from school was a jacket potato, bacon and baked beans, before you were unleashed to the bommie.

For several years, my mate Cleggy and I used to go out early on the 6th November and collect the spent fireworks or "duds". Can't remember why. We had a good knowledge of firework brands and their products as a result. Standard, Astra, Brock's, and the ironically named Pain's.

Did anyone ever do daft stuff like chucking bangers or fashion a banger gun out of an old metal pipe? Putting a banger into a pile of dog poo caused an unpleasant result.

All horribly mad and outwith modern day H & S standards, but it happened. Loved it.

Halloween meant nowt to kids back then but times change.
NFR Bonfire Night on 23:53 - Nov 6 with 2686 views442Dale

NFR Bonfire Night on 23:11 - Nov 6 by D_Alien

Just as a matter of interest, these bommies that are held at cricket clubs... do they take place on the cricket field?

Not been recently, but Norden’s was on the outfield in years gone by - the square of is always roped off. Rochdale have had the actual bonfire completely off the pitch in the area to one side of the scoreboard.

NFR Bonfire Night on 00:33 - Nov 7 with 2655 viewsD_Alien

NFR Bonfire Night on 23:47 - Nov 6 by Sandyman

1960's/70's - collecting bommie wood. Raiding (or guarding your own pile) for your own area bommie was de rigeur. Regular knocks on the door for "Penny for the guy" of an evening. The bommie was a "community" function but wasn't strictly organised with rules etc - it evolved through years of tradition. Mum's on the street next to the bommie with treacle toffee, parkin and black peas for all. Everyone setting off their own fireworks. Rockets set off from sterilized milk bottles.

My mum had a thing called "Bonfire tea" where your meal on arriving home from school was a jacket potato, bacon and baked beans, before you were unleashed to the bommie.

For several years, my mate Cleggy and I used to go out early on the 6th November and collect the spent fireworks or "duds". Can't remember why. We had a good knowledge of firework brands and their products as a result. Standard, Astra, Brock's, and the ironically named Pain's.

Did anyone ever do daft stuff like chucking bangers or fashion a banger gun out of an old metal pipe? Putting a banger into a pile of dog poo caused an unpleasant result.

All horribly mad and outwith modern day H & S standards, but it happened. Loved it.

Halloween meant nowt to kids back then but times change.

That's what i miss, that local community feel, probably the only time your neighbourhood got together each year, but everyone knew each other

Organised town/district bommies just aren't the same, but at least they're still being held. The best time was staying till after almost everyone had gone home, staring into the glowing embers in the chill of night

NFR Bonfire Night on 09:29 - Nov 7 with 2484 viewsTVOS1907

NFR Bonfire Night on 23:11 - Nov 6 by D_Alien

Yes.

The one at Littleborough was at deep mid-wicket.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

NFR Bonfire Night on 09:31 - Nov 7 with 2481 viewskel

NFR Bonfire Night on 00:33 - Nov 7 by D_Alien

That's what i miss, that local community feel, probably the only time your neighbourhood got together each year, but everyone knew each other

Organised town/district bommies just aren't the same, but at least they're still being held. The best time was staying till after almost everyone had gone home, staring into the glowing embers in the chill of night

Growing up in Hamer (I sound as old as you lot now) we used to have a bonfire on what we called the wreck (not as in recreation ground, it really was a wreck) and all the local mums used to make food and bring it down. The main maker is the husband of the bloke who owns the spud company in the town centre and she was a real community lady who would always look after us kids.

There doesn’t seem to be any community spirit these days and it’s certainly missed by me at least.

Edit - just read Sandyman’s and D’Alien’s post re community
[Post edited 7 Nov 2022 9:38]
NFR Bonfire Night on 13:42 - Nov 7 with 2301 viewsDale_4_Life

No actual Bonfire at Norden ( I didnt think) just a superb firework display and a funfair. Excellent to see Black Peas with lashings of vinegar mentioned a few times.

James have you ever had the delicacy that is black peas in a polystrene cup with salt and Vinegar?.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024