Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! 08:48 - Mar 7 with 1122 viewsTalkingSutty

I think reality has sunk in this morning and i cant see us getting out of this one. In my eyes we deserve to be bottom of the league, its been a pigs ear since the start and only since the appointment of the right manager have we even started to resemble a team.

So what do we do? keep slagging off individual players (I am guilty of this) or point the finger at the Chairman and board. In the end thats all pointless now. Over the last few seasons we have cheered our Chairmans effort constantly so if he has made a mistake with managerial appointents we can forgive him that.

Lets not keep moaning about relegation, i bet 80% of us have never experienced the feeling in our Dale supporting lifes so dont let it effect your Dale supporting career. Survival in league one on crowds of 2000 was always going to be a near impossible task in my opinion, so maybe the whole of the town should accept some responsibility regarding our current plight.

So who fancies a bit of yo-yoing over the next few seasons? I see no reason why we cant challenge a play off spot next season and with parachute payments and the money we have in the bank we should be able to assemble a decent squad next season.

Supporting Rochdale is not conditional on which league we are playing in, so any fan thinking of packing it in and who cant stomach league two footy, thanks for your efforts. Lets all make sure we re-new our season tickets.

Regarding league two, i am looking forward to going to Bradford, Macc, Accy, Rotherham (new stadium), Morecambe (new stadium) Chesterfield, Fleetwood, Port Vale, Wrexham or maybe York. Its a league we can realistically compete in the top half.

I have loved league one, but when your best players are constantly cherry picked and you witness the amount of home fans who trapes up to the games to support the team, everything becomes a struggle. In short we can point the finger all day long, it doesnt do any good. Lets start building now for next season and as a club stick together !!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 08:54 - Mar 7 with 1085 viewsJumeirahDale

Great post. I'd bloody love an away day in York!

Parachute payments? Do we get these? Or do you mean the amount that gets distributed if West Ham bounce back up?
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 09:14 - Mar 7 with 1046 viewsSuddenLad

The number of supporters attending the game has no bearing on the ability of the team to win games, nor the individual abilities of individual players.

It does, however, have a direct effect on the finances of the club, and the clubs' ability to attract or retain players of a standard good enough to achieve success.

The lower the division, the harder the task, the lower the attendance and the problem becomes worse.

Relegation is a fact of life in the football world, though I have to say that I didn't expect our turn to come quite so quickly. That said, we haven't experienced it for 38 years, so like promotion, perhaps our name has come to the top of the list !!

I still remain hopeful that we can escape the trap door, but don't underestimate the financial consequences of being sucked back into League Two.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 09:19 - Mar 7 with 1035 viewsTalkingSutty

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 09:14 - Mar 7 by SuddenLad

The number of supporters attending the game has no bearing on the ability of the team to win games, nor the individual abilities of individual players.

It does, however, have a direct effect on the finances of the club, and the clubs' ability to attract or retain players of a standard good enough to achieve success.

The lower the division, the harder the task, the lower the attendance and the problem becomes worse.

Relegation is a fact of life in the football world, though I have to say that I didn't expect our turn to come quite so quickly. That said, we haven't experienced it for 38 years, so like promotion, perhaps our name has come to the top of the list !!

I still remain hopeful that we can escape the trap door, but don't underestimate the financial consequences of being sucked back into League Two.

Your right about the financial consequences of relegation back to league two but at least we will be competing with more clubs in a similar predicament to ourselves. Clubs who attract similar type crowds, its more of a even playing field.
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 10:27 - Mar 7 with 976 viewsTVOS1907

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 09:14 - Mar 7 by SuddenLad

Agree with that, SL.

I think TS is being a tad over-optimistic about our chances next season should we go down.

The money in the bank (if it really exists) will start to erode when we don't see that away stand full 3/4 times next season (unless Rotherham and Bradford bring millions).

However, we only need to look at what the manager did at Accrington on even less resources to remain hopeful.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 10:52 - Mar 7 with 950 viewsDorsetDale

Good positive op TS.

Even during the Eyre/Beech spells I hoped we could eventually pull away. When Coleman took over, I genuinely believed it possible especially after a second demolition of the twice FA Cup winners.

I admire your optimism TS in thinking we can compete in div 4, I'm not so sure.

This season is going to take it's toll on Jones and I reckon in terms of effectiveness it'll be his last battle cry. Can only see him playing bit parts next season.

So, the squad will need a new talisman (if I'm right). Do we have anyone currently at the club?

How many of the squad will want to stay if offered terms and how many will be off?

Football fans are well known for only "supporting" their teams in times of plenty but other than the core 2000 or so, our fans are about as fickle as they come. Couple that with the lack of visiting fans in league 2, if we begin badly, can see crowds of less than 2000 regularly.

The board will recognise that a rebuilding programme needs putting in place but they will also recognise the above crowd numbers and won't put the club in jeopardy by spending money on players when having to budget for week on week losses not seen since before the Hill era.

I obviously don't have any knowledge of Dale finances and could be way out in my musings. Unfortunately, I suspect we will be closer to conference football than league one this time next year.

Nothing would please me more than I am proved wrong on some if not all counts.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 10:56 - Mar 7 with 939 viewsSuddenLad

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 10:27 - Mar 7 by TVOS1907

Agree with that, SL.

I think TS is being a tad over-optimistic about our chances next season should we go down.

The money in the bank (if it really exists) will start to erode when we don't see that away stand full 3/4 times next season (unless Rotherham and Bradford bring millions).

However, we only need to look at what the manager did at Accrington on even less resources to remain hopeful.

As I've said in other posts, I firmly believe that John Coleman is the right man, in the right job at the right time.

That applies to all possibilities. He can still keep us up if everything 'clicks into place', but if that doesn't happen, he is the best possible option to prepare us for life in L2, and to mount a challenge, if indeed we find ourselves down there.

The big problem will be finances, and the desire of the current squad for the task ahead.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 10:57 - Mar 7 with 936 viewsfitzochris

I've limited my visits to this messageboard of late - mainly because what I said a month or so ago hasn't changed. We're down. JC is the right man for us for sure, but he was brought in too late to stop the rot.

Watching Dale now is like watching someone die of a slow acting poison.

I'll have more renewed optimism over the summer, when Coleman has time to shape the squad to the fashion he wants.

Being back in League Two will be a blow, and we'll miss the visit of teams with large followings, but we may actually start winning games again and get a buzz back about Spotland.

I think JC will get us back into League One eventually but, when he does, we need to be braced for a bit of deja vu when he is poached by a bigger team. It's how we deal with that second time round that will determine how long we stay in League One.

Up the Dale.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 11:08 - Mar 7 with 915 viewsNIGELdale

the board will have to back john coleman did a brilliant job at accy on limited resources
Login to get fewer ads

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 12:19 - Mar 7 with 805 viewsdannyuk

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 10:52 - Mar 7 by DorsetDale

Good positive op TS.

Even during the Eyre/Beech spells I hoped we could eventually pull away. When Coleman took over, I genuinely believed it possible especially after a second demolition of the twice FA Cup winners.

This season is going to take it's toll on Jones and I reckon in terms of effectiveness it'll be his last battle cry. Can only see him playing bit parts next season.

So, the squad will need a new talisman (if I'm right). Do we have anyone currently at the club?

How many of the squad will want to stay if offered terms and how many will be off?

Football fans are well known for only "supporting" their teams in times of plenty but other than the core 2000 or so, our fans are about as fickle as they come. Couple that with the lack of visiting fans in league 2, if we begin badly, can see crowds of less than 2000 regularly.

The board will recognise that a rebuilding programme needs putting in place but they will also recognise the above crowd numbers and won't put the club in jeopardy by spending money on players when having to budget for week on week losses not seen since before the Hill era.

I obviously don't have any knowledge of Dale finances and could be way out in my musings. Unfortunately, I suspect we will be closer to conference football than league one this time next year.

Jones has only played bit parts this season...
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 22:48 - Mar 7 with 520 viewsSalwaDale

TS. Tell me if I'm wrong but your way of dealing with our plight this season has always been to try to put things into the bigger picture. You support Rochdale and will no matter what division we're in. You're being positive because that is your way of dealing with things. I get this and think I'm from the same school of thought as you.

Whatever happens, happens. I wasn't there last night but it still really, really hurt. The best thing about today is to see that it really hurt Coleman too. I do think we are in safe hands and I don't think history will show that Hillcroft improved us before we returned to the Dale of old. This season is hopefully just a blip in our progress.

TBBT

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 23:51 - Mar 7 with 496 viewspl56

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 10:52 - Mar 7 by DorsetDale

Good positive op TS.

I like to think the original optimism may be well placed .

When Coleman came he had a job for life at Accy . his comments , I believe , were that he chose to come to a club with a "better infrastructure" ; I assume that means both finance and resources generally , and that these were issues discussed in depth at interview .

Given the man's record to date in Div 2 , and assuming those greater resources presumably indicated , I will go into next season , whichever league , with some confidence . Indeed I take heart from JC's abject criticism of last night's performance , which , possibly as little as 3 months ago , might well have been described by previous managers as a sign of movement in the "right direction" , having lost only 1-2 to a club on the fringes of play off positions .
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 10:45 - Mar 8 with 427 viewsTalkingSutty

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 22:48 - Mar 7 by SalwaDale

TS. Tell me if I'm wrong but your way of dealing with our plight this season has always been to try to put things into the bigger picture. You support Rochdale and will no matter what division we're in. You're being positive because that is your way of dealing with things. I get this and think I'm from the same school of thought as you.

Whatever happens, happens. I wasn't there last night but it still really, really hurt. The best thing about today is to see that it really hurt Coleman too. I do think we are in safe hands and I don't think history will show that Hillcroft improved us before we returned to the Dale of old. This season is hopefully just a blip in our progress.

The overall future of the club has always been the main priority for me. When it comes to football i am a realist and i know our place in the pecking order, its simple really, money rules.

As a young teenager i remember whacking it from school one afternoon and sitting on top of the waterwheel in Littleborough park, i pulled out my radio and tuned into Radio Manchester, there wasnt a match on, it was more important than that. That day football fans all over the country where waiting to welcome Altrincham into the football league, it was the end for Rochdale and when i say the end i mean, THE END.

Anyway,i was waiting for the sports bulletin but the music was interupted and to my dismay and relief it was announced that Rochdale had survived. I couldnt believe it and neither could anybody else !!

From that day on i have always believed the financial welfare of the club is the main priority. When we sell a player for decent money, it makes me happy. When i go to watch games i like to be entertained, i like us to play with two wingers and see us score plenty of goals . I am content with aiming for the play offs and everything that could bring and a good cup run is always welcome.

I have enjoyed league one, but if i had a choice between watching us struggle every game to compete against the money bags teams and having to adopt defensive tactics every game just to eke out a result i would rather be in league two and watch us compete on a more even playing field (I think i am in the minority with that view). Going to the game and enjoying the match is the main thing for me and this season its been naff.

The only advantage of league one is the increased away support and extra revenue, our home support is actually down compared to league two when we where winning games and aiming for the play offs /promotion. Like i said its all about money, it dictates the pecking order in the long run.
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 11:38 - Mar 8 with 411 viewsDorsetDale

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 10:45 - Mar 8 by TalkingSutty

The overall future of the club has always been the main priority for me. When it comes to football i am a realist and i know our place in the pecking order, its simple really, money rules.

As a young teenager i remember whacking it from school one afternoon and sitting on top of the waterwheel in Littleborough park, i pulled out my radio and tuned into Radio Manchester, there wasnt a match on, it was more important than that. That day football fans all over the country where waiting to welcome Altrincham into the football league, it was the end for Rochdale and when i say the end i mean, THE END.

Anyway,i was waiting for the sports bulletin but the music was interupted and to my dismay and relief it was announced that Rochdale had survived. I couldnt believe it and neither could anybody else !!

From that day on i have always believed the financial welfare of the club is the main priority. When we sell a player for decent money, it makes me happy. When i go to watch games i like to be entertained, i like us to play with two wingers and see us score plenty of goals . I am content with aiming for the play offs and everything that could bring and a good cup run is always welcome.

I have enjoyed league one, but if i had a choice between watching us struggle every game to compete against the money bags teams and having to adopt defensive tactics every game just to eke out a result i would rather be in league two and watch us compete on a more even playing field (I think i am in the minority with that view). Going to the game and enjoying the match is the main thing for me and this season its been naff.

The only advantage of league one is the increased away support and extra revenue, our home support is actually down compared to league two when we where winning games and aiming for the play offs /promotion. Like i said its all about money, it dictates the pecking order in the long run.

I didn't start following Dale 'till mid/late 70's and have no recollection of our previous promotion and subsequent relegation so don't know how it felt back then.
I do though remember the relief felt on retaining league status, on more than one occasion. I also remember well the half time blanket etc.. and even though the football was pretty rubbish I still loved every minute of every saturday with that small but loyal bunch of like minded people at Spotland and beyond.

Those days are long gone and as a club we're a million miles from those times and no-one in their right mind could wish to go back.

I agree with you that watching a side struggling at the bottom is not an enjoyable experience and we'd all rather watch a team aiming for the top even if a division below. However,having gained promotion and had a bloody good first season, many things came about all at once to find ourselves where we are.

When certain players do well for us they will be poached as we all know. We were very unlucky in losing a whole management team who then took our best players bar one and he only lasted one game!

I'm probably going to contradict my earlier post but if Coleman can build a side capable of getting back (if we do indeed get relegated) the board need to get contracts in place that mean we can't get shafted by bigger clubs which then gives us half a chance of staying in league 1 a bit longer.

As regards support, there's no quick fix but maybe a few seasons at this level where we gradually move forward will bring them in. Had we not been given so many kicks in the teeth during the close season and beginning of this,who knows where we'd be?

If this appears un-constructed it's because I'm avoiding actual work so waffling!

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 11:44 - Mar 8 with 406 viewsTalkingSutty

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 11:38 - Mar 8 by DorsetDale

I didn't start following Dale 'till mid/late 70's and have no recollection of our previous promotion and subsequent relegation so don't know how it felt back then.
I do though remember the relief felt on retaining league status, on more than one occasion. I also remember well the half time blanket etc.. and even though the football was pretty rubbish I still loved every minute of every saturday with that small but loyal bunch of like minded people at Spotland and beyond.

Those days are long gone and as a club we're a million miles from those times and no-one in their right mind could wish to go back.

I agree with you that watching a side struggling at the bottom is not an enjoyable experience and we'd all rather watch a team aiming for the top even if a division below. However,having gained promotion and had a bloody good first season, many things came about all at once to find ourselves where we are.

When certain players do well for us they will be poached as we all know. We were very unlucky in losing a whole management team who then took our best players bar one and he only lasted one game!

I'm probably going to contradict my earlier post but if Coleman can build a side capable of getting back (if we do indeed get relegated) the board need to get contracts in place that mean we can't get shafted by bigger clubs which then gives us half a chance of staying in league 1 a bit longer.

As regards support, there's no quick fix but maybe a few seasons at this level where we gradually move forward will bring them in. Had we not been given so many kicks in the teeth during the close season and beginning of this,who knows where we'd be?

If this appears un-constructed it's because I'm avoiding actual work so waffling!

When you look at what happened in the close season with Hillcroft and the departure of so many good players, coupled with the SE/Beech episode its no wonder we are struggling. Like you, i take heart that we now have a "proper" manager in charge.
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 12:04 - Mar 8 with 387 viewsTVOS1907

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 10:45 - Mar 8 by TalkingSutty

When I was a lad, there were plenty of other things pulled out near that water-wheel, none of which were radios!!

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 12:18 - Mar 8 with 377 viewsD_Alien

Whilst Hilly's mantra of "forget history" worked wonders for the team on the pitch, I wonder if the club as a whole were fully prepared for promotion?

Most clubs experience promotion every 10 years at least - we hadn't, and there was no-one with the experience of gearing up the backroom operation. The areas of ticketing, stadium management and marketing have all been discussed at length on this forum, but - if we find ourselves back in L2 and John Coleman can put us back on the road to a winning mentality, I feel there needs to be an equal improvement from the club as a whole, not least because it should help our finances to do so - and as this thread seems to indicate, that's our bottom line!

The same needs to happen if JC can work the miracle this season. Whilst some think I'm an apologist for the board, I can see that they might have regarded their financial management as being successful - but I believe much more can be done.

I hope the soul-searching is taking place in the boardroom as well as among the fans - not on individual appointments which with hindsight have been failures, but the broader picture of how to enhance the club's infrastructure to better support the team in the higher division.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 12:43 - Mar 8 with 352 viewsTalkingSutty

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 12:04 - Mar 8 by TVOS1907

When I was a lad, there were plenty of other things pulled out near that water-wheel, none of which were radios!!

Dont worry, it doesnt make you a bad person !!
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 12:46 - Mar 8 with 346 viewsTalkingSutty

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 12:18 - Mar 8 by D_Alien

Whilst Hilly's mantra of "forget history" worked wonders for the team on the pitch, I wonder if the club as a whole were fully prepared for promotion?

Most clubs experience promotion every 10 years at least - we hadn't, and there was no-one with the experience of gearing up the backroom operation. The areas of ticketing, stadium management and marketing have all been discussed at length on this forum, but - if we find ourselves back in L2 and John Coleman can put us back on the road to a winning mentality, I feel there needs to be an equal improvement from the club as a whole, not least because it should help our finances to do so - and as this thread seems to indicate, that's our bottom line!

The same needs to happen if JC can work the miracle this season. Whilst some think I'm an apologist for the board, I can see that they might have regarded their financial management as being successful - but I believe much more can be done.

I hope the soul-searching is taking place in the boardroom as well as among the fans - not on individual appointments which with hindsight have been failures, but the broader picture of how to enhance the club's infrastructure to better support the team in the higher division.

Cracking post.
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 13:16 - Mar 8 with 322 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 12:04 - Mar 8 by TVOS1907

Oh the famous waterwheel......great stuff.

The rocks around the wheel were always a challenge to climb and stop the wheel, wait till a bucket filled with water and then off it went!

Oh the fun!

There is a monkey buried beside the wheel as well.......await contribution from Hartlepool fans?
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 13:21 - Mar 8 with 319 viewsTVOS1907

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 12:43 - Mar 8 by TalkingSutty

Dont worry, it doesnt make you a bad person !!

I bet Dusty has been there!

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 13:23 - Mar 8 with 315 viewsTalkingSutty

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 13:21 - Mar 8 by TVOS1907

I bet Dusty has been there!

Where hasnt he been !!
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 13:30 - Mar 8 with 303 viewsTVOS1907

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 13:23 - Mar 8 by TalkingSutty

Where hasnt he been !!

Anywhere on a plane.

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 13:54 - Mar 8 with 279 viewsfermin

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 11:38 - Mar 8 by DorsetDale

Regarding your support point, I think we have been very unlucky in that our period of sustained success and hence the opportunity to grow our core support has coincided with a severe economic depression in the town. Typical, Rochdale, some might say.
Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 14:31 - Mar 8 with 259 viewsDorsetDale

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 13:54 - Mar 8 by fermin

Regarding your support point, I think we have been very unlucky in that our period of sustained success and hence the opportunity to grow our core support has coincided with a severe economic depression in the town. Typical, Rochdale, some might say.

You may be correct.

In all probability, economics apart, I think we've seen that the Rochdale public have little interest on a game by game basis.

What I failed to mention above is that it's my belief that other than local kids choosing Dale, and as/if the club do manage to reach and sustain the heady hights of last season, we have to hope neutrals (initially, then hopefully become fans) can be drawn in from further afield.
It happens in other areas, Bury and Oldham managed to do it, so can we.

This coupled with D_Alien's insight above may see us moving in the right direction again in not too short a time.

Highs and lows....a positive spin!! on 16:37 - Mar 8 with 201 viewsrochedale

I just hope history doesn't repeat itself or I will be travelling to games using my free bus pass the next time we are promoted.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024