Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trying to keep things in perspective! 20:29 - Nov 14 with 5335 viewssuffolkdale

Watching the game from afar we were beaten by a better team on the day. Given some of the personnel in their team and on their bench not really surprising so why the rants and over reaction? Given our resources and injuries Keith Hill works wonders and we have to consistently over perform to compete at this level.
Am l an armchair fan? No I was at Southend last week and man for man we were as good if not better than their team. As to my comments on the manager, I have been watching the Dale for 55 years and without a shadow of a doubt Keith Hill is the best manager we have ever had.
Compared to many other clubs we have a fantastic Chairman, Board of Directors, management team and youth set up and even today the team kept on trying to do the right things despite not getting many breaks.
I am as passionate as any fan who posts on here, but I am realistic and when things are not quite working out ( we did of course beat Swindon 3-1 last week!) we need to be positive and supportive not turn in on ourselves and the team/ management. Deep breaths and move on!
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 20:40 - Nov 14 with 3917 viewsantmarina

I agree Suffolkdale. Having watched them at Southend and again today, we were the better team at Southend (at least in the second half) and today we were up against a very good side with quality players.

With the injuries we have, I didn't think we were going to win today.

Let's look forward to getting 45-50 points this season and finishing at least 19th. That would be a success and then improving next season.

#indunphywetrust
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 20:51 - Nov 14 with 3883 viewsTalkingSutty

Agree with that but each game is analysed on its own merit. Last Saturday was pretty good, i believe the performance on Tuesday was a bit dire. Today was disjointed and sloppy, but Wigan played well.

This time next week we could be eulogising about a great win at Doncaster. You can only comment on the game that you have just witnessed and for various reasons today wasn't very good. Next week Hilly could be the best thing since sliced bread, it's a results business. You can't just comment on the good and keep schtum when they don't perform,that's submissive behaviour.
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 21:34 - Nov 14 with 3816 viewsjoecooke

Great positive post and considering the players we were missing today no real surprises with the end result.

My gripes are simple,we know now know the squad isn't strong enough to compete in this division without dipping in to the loan market or giving youth a go or spending a few quid for proven experienced players.

Its a risky thing shelling out on experienced players and difficult to find in our wage structure but it generally works,youth players is tricky and i do trust chris beech and staff to throw them in when they are think they are ready and to be fair most of older age groups will have been released by united,city et al and should be a good level and not a million miles away.

In a nutshell if we have injured players who would be your first 11,then Hilly needs to either dip in to loan market,give the kids a chance or find us a new Gary Jones,Shaun Reid type player too grab the game by the scruff of its neck.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2015 22:14]

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 18:02 - Nov 15 with 3554 viewsAucklandjeff

Very refreshing to hear this!

Now an armchair supporter because of being overseas....... but fans really need to be more patient and see the big picture. Its fine to question and challenge tactics and personel but the staff and directors have worked miracles to see the club progress. Keep the faith
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 18:07 - Nov 15 with 3533 viewsParkinsGimp

Blind...there are serious problems at this club. We have signed sub League One standard players who so far have been lucky on more than two occassions. It will be a long hard season, and I cant see the board changing since they would be happy to get relegated. The crowds will never increase if that is the type of players we are asking the local public to come and watch.
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 19:14 - Nov 15 with 3475 viewsTVOS1907

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 18:07 - Nov 15 by ParkinsGimp

Blind...there are serious problems at this club. We have signed sub League One standard players who so far have been lucky on more than two occassions. It will be a long hard season, and I cant see the board changing since they would be happy to get relegated. The crowds will never increase if that is the type of players we are asking the local public to come and watch.

You're early this weekend.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 19:35 - Nov 15 with 3424 viewsfitzochris

Perspective is the right word. Yesterday was a poor show from us as a 90-minute standalone football match, but look where we are. League One.

Now look at Tranmere. When I was growing up they were well beyond where I thought we could ever be. They had the likes of John Aldridge and Pat Nevin turning out for them, who were both still class players. They were threatening to get in the Premiership.

Over the years they have steadily declined to being not much better than us, to our equal, to our inferior, to playing boring football in the Conference and racking up dire 1-0 defeats.

How that's never happened to a club of our stature when it's happened to Tranmere, and clubs bigger than them, is down to something being done right, no?

There were calls for Dunphy to get out his cheque book after the game yesterday and people calling for Keith Hill's head (and then pretending they were fishing when they got the backlash they deserved), but it is this patient and prudent approach that has not only seen us avoid the Conference, but climb out of League Two. Ours is not to be a meteoric rise, but a staged and slow ascent.

If this is an issue for people, you need to wonder why they support Rochdale. Most of us have never had it this good.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 19:39 - Nov 15 with 3410 viewsFrog

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 19:35 - Nov 15 by fitzochris

Perspective is the right word. Yesterday was a poor show from us as a 90-minute standalone football match, but look where we are. League One.

Now look at Tranmere. When I was growing up they were well beyond where I thought we could ever be. They had the likes of John Aldridge and Pat Nevin turning out for them, who were both still class players. They were threatening to get in the Premiership.

Over the years they have steadily declined to being not much better than us, to our equal, to our inferior, to playing boring football in the Conference and racking up dire 1-0 defeats.

How that's never happened to a club of our stature when it's happened to Tranmere, and clubs bigger than them, is down to something being done right, no?

There were calls for Dunphy to get out his cheque book after the game yesterday and people calling for Keith Hill's head (and then pretending they were fishing when they got the backlash they deserved), but it is this patient and prudent approach that has not only seen us avoid the Conference, but climb out of League Two. Ours is not to be a meteoric rise, but a staged and slow ascent.

If this is an issue for people, you need to wonder why they support Rochdale. Most of us have never had it this good.

I agree and kind of said the same in a lot less words on another thread.
Login to get fewer ads

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 19:46 - Nov 15 with 3393 viewsfitzochris

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 19:39 - Nov 15 by Frog

I agree and kind of said the same in a lot less words on another thread.

I'm not sweeping any issues under the carpet either. It was obvious to anyone watching yesterday that there are areas of the team which need sorting - both in personnel and approach.

I trust that Hill is the man to do it.

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 20:01 - Nov 15 with 3352 viewsTVOS1907

Actually, that's a good point about Tranmere.

They are now probably too far behind in the promotion race from the National League and are out of the FA Cup.

You can add the likes of Grimsby and Wrexham as well.

Of course, it could well be us in the future, but in the present we should be more grateful we're not them.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 20:04 - Nov 15 with 3349 viewsSuddenLad

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 19:46 - Nov 15 by fitzochris

I'm not sweeping any issues under the carpet either. It was obvious to anyone watching yesterday that there are areas of the team which need sorting - both in personnel and approach.

I trust that Hill is the man to do it.

Stockport, Darlington, Chester, Lincoln, Barrow, Workington, Hereford, Southport, Maidstone, Boston, Torquay, Aldershot, Grimsby, Tranmere, Cheltenham, Macclesfield, Wrexham, Kidderminster, Halifax. Bradford Park Avenue.

I have watched league football following Dale on all the above grounds.

The one thing you can say with certainty is that they would all love to be where we are in League One, even if it meant they had the odd 'bad game' or even went on a run of 6 games without a win.

You can also say that if it weren't for the fact that this club has lived within its' means, has been run properly, then any of us could still be going there watching Dale every week.

Thankfully, we're not !

Perspective indeed.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 20:59 - Nov 15 with 3258 viewsDorsetDale

"Most of us have never had it so good".... Wrong! NONE of us have had it so good. Even new fans that only know relative success have just witnessed us finish in our highest ever position.

Grimsby are mentioned elsewhere. I remember them coming to Spotland and sticking 5 in our net on the way to promotion having had to slum it for a season in div 4. The difference between the 2 sides then was very apparent. I doubt anyone that was there that night could ever have begun to think we would be 2 divisions above them in a hundred years let alone 30 odd.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 00:05 - Nov 16 with 3115 viewspioneer

never had it so good? We once had a manager who kept us in the third tier for four seasons, had cup runs that included winning and drawing with top tier teams and had us at the top of the division for a spell. I suppose you could say he was the first and only manager to have us established as a third level club . . .and then was sacked! I think you can all guess what happened under the next manager.

Lets hope the current manager can match that.
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 07:13 - Nov 16 with 3074 viewsfitzochris

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 00:05 - Nov 16 by pioneer

never had it so good? We once had a manager who kept us in the third tier for four seasons, had cup runs that included winning and drawing with top tier teams and had us at the top of the division for a spell. I suppose you could say he was the first and only manager to have us established as a third level club . . .and then was sacked! I think you can all guess what happened under the next manager.

Lets hope the current manager can match that.

Most of us.

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 08:14 - Nov 16 with 3023 viewsdingdangblue

I've not watched the whole game back, just the highlights online and on the football league show - and as bad as we were in the 1st half, the 2nd half was 100% better and we had a few very decent chances to score. The penalty on Bunney was a staggering decision by the referee not to give also.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 09:37 - Nov 16 with 2946 viewsWhiteyBFC

This is a great thread, compared to at least six others I've read since Saturday where far too many of you have far too short a memory.

If it helps, just look at us and think on..
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 09:55 - Nov 16 with 2931 viewsdingdangblue

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 09:37 - Nov 16 by WhiteyBFC

This is a great thread, compared to at least six others I've read since Saturday where far too many of you have far too short a memory.

If it helps, just look at us and think on..

Whitey - most of the thread starters slagging off Hill have been critical of Hill previously - after a loss usually.Certainly the 'no job for life' and 'how many games' threads posted by borntogo and bazingadale are regular critical posters after a 'bad' defeat. He has a few haters here ( not sure if they are genuine fans or just trolls) but the majority of us trust him to get it right. Last 5 league games : great away point at bury, great performance v Coventry 0-0 draw, Poor derby v Oldham but missed the most gifted open goal you'll see in a long time, 0-0 draw, 2-0 down at Southend and recover for superb 2-2 draw. Then Saturdays disappointing show v Wigan but no disgrace when you consider their players and budget. The barmy over reaction by a minority of 'fans' is disappointing when we need to stick together and support our team.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2015 10:51]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 10:45 - Nov 16 with 2887 views49thseason

I still maintain that the Plan is to win against teams around us and below us and try not to get hammered by the "top" teams. On Saturday there was a distinct feeling that we didn't want any more injuries or a red card chasing a game that we were unlikely to win. I think it is this sort of professionalism that separates fans from players and management. its just not possible to give 110% in every game given our current resources - better to focus on the winnable games is the professional viewpoint. As fans we want to win every game but we are not the ones putting bodies and jobs on the line.
Finishing the season in league 1 is the target, not winning every game.
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 13:02 - Nov 16 with 2777 viewsTalkingSutty

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 10:45 - Nov 16 by 49thseason

I still maintain that the Plan is to win against teams around us and below us and try not to get hammered by the "top" teams. On Saturday there was a distinct feeling that we didn't want any more injuries or a red card chasing a game that we were unlikely to win. I think it is this sort of professionalism that separates fans from players and management. its just not possible to give 110% in every game given our current resources - better to focus on the winnable games is the professional viewpoint. As fans we want to win every game but we are not the ones putting bodies and jobs on the line.
Finishing the season in league 1 is the target, not winning every game.

So we are selecting which games to give it our all and easing off in others? You don't seriously believe that do you?

Wigan are not Barcelona, they are a league one team who bury hammered 4-0 the week before, the game before that they needed a last gasp winner to beat Swindon at home and we saw first hand how crap Swindon are.

Getting into the faces of these teams and not giving them a minutes peace is the best way of evening up the contest, that used to be in our DNA, if you aren't prepared to do that then their superior talent will win the day. That's what we had on Saturday

We are also carrying a few players who aren't even capable of completing a full game of football due to a lack of fitness, they wouldn't be capable of playing a pressing game without making a desperate lunge and picking up a red card. These players have been at the club long enough, they need shipping out.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2015 13:13]
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 13:46 - Nov 16 with 2716 viewsDaleiLama

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 13:02 - Nov 16 by TalkingSutty

So we are selecting which games to give it our all and easing off in others? You don't seriously believe that do you?

Wigan are not Barcelona, they are a league one team who bury hammered 4-0 the week before, the game before that they needed a last gasp winner to beat Swindon at home and we saw first hand how crap Swindon are.

Getting into the faces of these teams and not giving them a minutes peace is the best way of evening up the contest, that used to be in our DNA, if you aren't prepared to do that then their superior talent will win the day. That's what we had on Saturday

We are also carrying a few players who aren't even capable of completing a full game of football due to a lack of fitness, they wouldn't be capable of playing a pressing game without making a desperate lunge and picking up a red card. These players have been at the club long enough, they need shipping out.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2015 13:13]

Just an observation - strange league this year with a slew of teams all capable of beating each other and results going either way.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 13:58 - Nov 16 with 2697 viewsTalkingSutty

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 13:46 - Nov 16 by DaleiLama

Just an observation - strange league this year with a slew of teams all capable of beating each other and results going either way.

Yes, but no games at this level which you can view as a 'free hit'. It wasn't long ago when we beat teams like Southampton away,we seemed to have a carefree attitude in those days, or was it No Fear?
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 14:04 - Nov 16 with 2678 viewsDaleiLama

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 13:58 - Nov 16 by TalkingSutty

Yes, but no games at this level which you can view as a 'free hit'. It wasn't long ago when we beat teams like Southampton away,we seemed to have a carefree attitude in those days, or was it No Fear?

Agree about no free hits and we certainly seem to be more cautious in our approach these days.
Are we having the same discussion as Man U fans? Attack, attack, attack!
Difficult to say if this is coaching/tactics led or player led (just being a little "under-gunned" at present).

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 14:35 - Nov 16 with 2636 viewsTalkingSutty

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 14:04 - Nov 16 by DaleiLama

Agree about no free hits and we certainly seem to be more cautious in our approach these days.
Are we having the same discussion as Man U fans? Attack, attack, attack!
Difficult to say if this is coaching/tactics led or player led (just being a little "under-gunned" at present).

A bit of both probably. Maybe Hilly realises he doesn't have the players to perform in a certain way, but having said that its not much different from the squad that he had last season.

Certain players have stagnated or failed to kick on and there seems to have been issues regarding some of the younger players like Cannon, Bunney, Tanser and maybe Allen. Some of the senior players are also not performing. Henderson, Lund,Kennedy and Vincenti have all been hit and miss and Lancashire and Eastham are up and down.

We have had our share of injuries and to be fair some of the players he has brought in to the club like Mc Dermott, RNL , NML and Big John all find it a struggle to get fit, so they can't be relied upon.

It's a bit of a mess when you think about it.
Trying to keep things in perspective! on 14:53 - Nov 16 with 2611 viewsdingdangblue

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 14:35 - Nov 16 by TalkingSutty

A bit of both probably. Maybe Hilly realises he doesn't have the players to perform in a certain way, but having said that its not much different from the squad that he had last season.

Certain players have stagnated or failed to kick on and there seems to have been issues regarding some of the younger players like Cannon, Bunney, Tanser and maybe Allen. Some of the senior players are also not performing. Henderson, Lund,Kennedy and Vincenti have all been hit and miss and Lancashire and Eastham are up and down.

We have had our share of injuries and to be fair some of the players he has brought in to the club like Mc Dermott, RNL , NML and Big John all find it a struggle to get fit, so they can't be relied upon.

It's a bit of a mess when you think about it.

At the end of the day Hill has given most of us Dale fans our best supporting days of our lives. I'm sure he'll give us many more still. Are we being too harsh? Injuries / suspensions and out of form players have wrecked his recent team selections and even taking that into account we have only been beaten in the league by Sheffield Utd and Wigan in these last 6 games. We've matched bury, Coventry, Oldham and Southend. As Hill said recently after player mistakes 'its time to reset' - starting at Doncaster on Saturday.

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 15:12 - Nov 16 with 2585 viewsTalkingSutty

Trying to keep things in perspective! on 14:53 - Nov 16 by dingdangblue

At the end of the day Hill has given most of us Dale fans our best supporting days of our lives. I'm sure he'll give us many more still. Are we being too harsh? Injuries / suspensions and out of form players have wrecked his recent team selections and even taking that into account we have only been beaten in the league by Sheffield Utd and Wigan in these last 6 games. We've matched bury, Coventry, Oldham and Southend. As Hill said recently after player mistakes 'its time to reset' - starting at Doncaster on Saturday.

As i alluded to in the previous post I think it's a combination of things. Players not performing or out of form creates a big problem for the manager because of the financial limitations. I think his recruitment has been a bit poor but having said that, how much money does he have to play with?

We aren't going to get a better manager than Hill and I refuse to even listen to anybody who thinks otherwise. If he can't keep us in this league then nobody else can and we rebuild again next season with Hilly at the helm. I don't even see that scenario occurring anyway, forms temporary and we have the players and manager to respond.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024