Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today's crowd? 19:46 - Aug 20 with 7037 views442Dale

Did they announce it? Didn't hear it, haven't at previous games recently either but could have missed it.

Looked like a couple of hundred MK fans.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Today's crowd? on 20:16 - Aug 20 with 3681 viewsShun

It wasn't announced at the last home game either. A welcome change, if you ask me. All it serves to do is embarrass us in front of the away fans. If anybody needs the figure I'm sure it'll be on the official site.
Today's crowd? on 20:21 - Aug 20 with 3660 viewsdingdangblue

Today's crowd? on 20:16 - Aug 20 by Shun

It wasn't announced at the last home game either. A welcome change, if you ask me. All it serves to do is embarrass us in front of the away fans. If anybody needs the figure I'm sure it'll be on the official site.

Agreed - no need to announce it. We all know its going to be 2000-2500 most games.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Today's crowd? on 20:27 - Aug 20 with 3627 viewsLuke8686

Today's crowd? on 20:21 - Aug 20 by dingdangblue

Agreed - no need to announce it. We all know its going to be 2000-2500 most games.

Yeah don't think we have a legal obligation to release attendances.. maybe we'll start doing it again when we actually manage to sell a decent number of season tickets
Today's crowd? on 21:41 - Aug 20 with 3446 viewsTVOS1907

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Today's crowd? on 22:11 - Aug 20 with 3355 viewsD_Alien

Today's crowd? on 20:16 - Aug 20 by Shun

They might stop publishing the team-sheet next. As I understand it, there's only an obligation to inform the ref.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Today's crowd? on 22:20 - Aug 20 with 3315 views442Dale

Today's crowd? on 21:41 - Aug 20 by TVOS1907

Less than 2000 home fans already?

Had a quick look at the home crowds for the opening two fixtures at Spotland since we were promoted again: the lowest before today was 2121 v Walsall last season - that was on a Tuesday night.

Today's crowd? on 00:25 - Aug 21 with 3145 viewsDale27

This should be a big wake up call for all at the club! If not, then we are Donald Ducked...
Today's crowd? on 08:07 - Aug 21 with 2930 viewsColDale

The intention from the season ticket strategy was to grow the fanbase, yet its clear already that it has not had that affect. I sincerely hope that nobody is blaming the negative reaction from supporters back in April for what is looking like a massive failure. It doesn't matter one jot what is said publicly, what is important that in the minds of those who will be making these decisions for next season realise the error of their ways.

I don't know where we can go for this season now. I don't know how much cash we have floating around, but I'd give very real consideration about refunding every £10 admin charge that has been paid, whether it is through a cheque or by a club shop voucher, and then sending out a free season ticket to everyone U11 who was a season ticket holder last year but haven't renewed. It's not going to change the world but we might squeeze another fifty season tickets out of it.

Aside from that, I'm at a loss as to what we can do. Dropping admission prices / season ticket prices is a no go whilst people have renewed season tickets so I think its too late for this season, and we're going to have to accept that the club's income is going to be significantly down this season. MK Dons at home is never going to be a big sell but it was a 2,400 game at its absolutely minimum, and we had close to 300 less than that - possibly a loss of revenue more than all the £10 admin charges put together.
Login to get fewer ads

Today's crowd? on 08:28 - Aug 21 with 2899 views442Dale

Today's crowd? on 08:07 - Aug 21 by ColDale

The intention from the season ticket strategy was to grow the fanbase, yet its clear already that it has not had that affect. I sincerely hope that nobody is blaming the negative reaction from supporters back in April for what is looking like a massive failure. It doesn't matter one jot what is said publicly, what is important that in the minds of those who will be making these decisions for next season realise the error of their ways.

I don't know where we can go for this season now. I don't know how much cash we have floating around, but I'd give very real consideration about refunding every £10 admin charge that has been paid, whether it is through a cheque or by a club shop voucher, and then sending out a free season ticket to everyone U11 who was a season ticket holder last year but haven't renewed. It's not going to change the world but we might squeeze another fifty season tickets out of it.

Aside from that, I'm at a loss as to what we can do. Dropping admission prices / season ticket prices is a no go whilst people have renewed season tickets so I think its too late for this season, and we're going to have to accept that the club's income is going to be significantly down this season. MK Dons at home is never going to be a big sell but it was a 2,400 game at its absolutely minimum, and we had close to 300 less than that - possibly a loss of revenue more than all the £10 admin charges put together.

What's required initially is, as you say, a gesture that illustrates to the club's loyal fanbase than there's an acceptance that they got it wrong. Time and again that route was offered as an alternative to people at the club, not least when the Trust contacted them on behalf of supporters who were coming up with ideas left, right and centre to turn the situation into a positive.

I'll quote part of what was said by the Trust, because it really does say it all.

<<The trust has been established for 12 years and the sentiment felt following this announcement is unprecedented. We urge the club to seriously review their approach and consider the proposals presented in this note. Rochdale AFC is a club built on the foundation between the club and supporter, everyone associated with it is proud that we are not a faceless club but one built on years of loyal support and trust between decision makers and supporters. As we progress on the field we must not lose that bond the club has built through generations of support.>>

Even now, it's not too late to start rebuilding that bond. To do nothing would be a bigger worry than a poor season out on the pitch.

Today's crowd? on 09:47 - Aug 21 with 2801 viewsRAFCBLUE

One off gestures are no good.

The whole strategy of Team Rochdale needs a rethink for me.

For example; the Hill and Logan interviews are hidden on Dale Player restricted to a small number of people. What's to stop a shorter version of both being posted free to air?

The match attendance debacle will get worse next week with AFC Wimbledon - possibly our first sub-2000 Saturday home attendance in my living memory.

Simply set a ticket strategy for next season now and push it. I'd suggest a voucher at every remaining home game that gives £2 off next seasons season ticket. 21 games - £42 discount and in the meantime push this fact.

There might be people who only do 5 games or 10 games but there will be some who will use this.

Get people into the habit of coming to a Dale game and make it as cheap and easy as possible to do so.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Today's crowd? on 09:56 - Aug 21 with 2770 views442Dale

Today's crowd? on 09:47 - Aug 21 by RAFCBLUE

One off gestures are no good.

The whole strategy of Team Rochdale needs a rethink for me.

For example; the Hill and Logan interviews are hidden on Dale Player restricted to a small number of people. What's to stop a shorter version of both being posted free to air?

The match attendance debacle will get worse next week with AFC Wimbledon - possibly our first sub-2000 Saturday home attendance in my living memory.

Simply set a ticket strategy for next season now and push it. I'd suggest a voucher at every remaining home game that gives £2 off next seasons season ticket. 21 games - £42 discount and in the meantime push this fact.

There might be people who only do 5 games or 10 games but there will be some who will use this.

Get people into the habit of coming to a Dale game and make it as cheap and easy as possible to do so.

Yesterday was sub-2000 for home fans, but the rest of your post is spot on (edit: though actually the YouTube channel is usually excellent for short versions of interviews. There was one with Hill from yesterday). Crowds? They HAVE to do something, and soon.

Yet more quick analysis of programmes from the last three seasons (one in L2 the others L1), illustrate that yesterday was the only time we have had less than 2000 home fans for a Saturday game.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2016 9:59]

Today's crowd? on 10:17 - Aug 21 with 2726 viewsRAFCBLUE

Today's crowd? on 09:56 - Aug 21 by 442Dale

Yesterday was sub-2000 for home fans, but the rest of your post is spot on (edit: though actually the YouTube channel is usually excellent for short versions of interviews. There was one with Hill from yesterday). Crowds? They HAVE to do something, and soon.

Yet more quick analysis of programmes from the last three seasons (one in L2 the others L1), illustrate that yesterday was the only time we have had less than 2000 home fans for a Saturday game.

My comments on the overall attendance relate to the fact I believe that our board have focussed on the opportunities given by a Northern league and the significant away followings of some clubs which balance our the poor away attendances and ambivalent home crowd at Spotland.

In knowing that teams like Sheffield United, Bradford, Oldham, Bolton and bury will bring more than 2,000 the club has got lazy forgetting to attract the market on their doorstep.

The aim of targeting younger supporters is sound business sense but has been done so poorly that it hasn't worked and in being attempted has alienated a significant portion of existing fanbase either to not renew or to make them question their club if they have renewed. Neither are good.

Price is key in our market. Rochdale is a poor town economically. Ergo you have to think about some way of adapting to those two constraining factors or you will lose.

Rochdale has approximately 25 home matches a year. Maximum effort needs to be into attracting customers rather than hoping that the team we are playing "bring a few"...

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Today's crowd? on 10:20 - Aug 21 with 2707 viewsThe_DJ

Today's crowd? on 08:07 - Aug 21 by ColDale

Feels like an 'us and them' culture at the moment.

If heads are not removed from the sand quickly it will just be 'them'.

The Club need to sort things out.
Today's crowd? on 10:39 - Aug 21 with 2651 viewsLuke8686

The fact that we are attracting less home fans now than we were in league two when playing the likes of Torquay and Wycombe really is a sad state of affairs. The good news is we have recently had some excellent news off the pitch (acquiring the ownership of the stadium) and we should be using this as a clean slate and push the club forwards from here.

The damage has already been done this season in that we know our crowds are going to be gash for the rest of the season. With our new chief executive in place by next season, we can hope that there will be an exciting, refreshing new marketing strategy in place to both win back the support of the loyal fanbase and help to plant the seed for growth in the existing fanbase for years to come.
Today's crowd? on 10:59 - Aug 21 with 2612 viewsD_Alien

Today's crowd? on 10:39 - Aug 21 by Luke8686

The fact that we are attracting less home fans now than we were in league two when playing the likes of Torquay and Wycombe really is a sad state of affairs. The good news is we have recently had some excellent news off the pitch (acquiring the ownership of the stadium) and we should be using this as a clean slate and push the club forwards from here.

The damage has already been done this season in that we know our crowds are going to be gash for the rest of the season. With our new chief executive in place by next season, we can hope that there will be an exciting, refreshing new marketing strategy in place to both win back the support of the loyal fanbase and help to plant the seed for growth in the existing fanbase for years to come.

Our new Chief Exec must be tearing his hair out, Frances too. It's one thing to inadvertently alienate potential fans, another to do nothing about it and I agree that something must be done immediately or those staying away will get used to spending their cash elsewhere. There's been a couple of excellent suggestions already - I like the vouchers idea - but why do we have to keep coming up with simple ideas for getting people through the turnstiles?

The stat about any gains from stupid admin fees being wiped out already is a telling one, and should be put on a banner and spread across the rows of empty seats in the Pearl St

Today's crowd? on 11:08 - Aug 21 with 2588 viewsisitme

Today's crowd? on 10:39 - Aug 21 by Luke8686

I also think that some supporters would prefer to see us winning more games at a lower standard of football. As yesterday shows we played well in the second half but got beat, for many non regulars they look at results rather than performances or quality of games.
Today's crowd? on 11:13 - Aug 21 with 2568 viewsBobbyjoe

Season-tickets for £100. You couldn't fail to sell 5,000. Half a million quid a year, and 5,000 fans minimum every game. The only reason it won't happen is no one really wants anything to change.
Today's crowd? on 11:20 - Aug 21 with 2537 viewsroccydaleian

Today's crowd? on 11:13 - Aug 21 by Bobbyjoe

Season-tickets for £100. You couldn't fail to sell 5,000. Half a million quid a year, and 5,000 fans minimum every game. The only reason it won't happen is no one really wants anything to change.

5000? Doubt we'd sell that many, but if they don't try something like that we'll never know. As been posted plenty of times before, this season seemed the ideal time to try it.
Today's crowd? on 11:20 - Aug 21 with 2537 viewsD_Alien

It's a glimmer of hope, but in recruiting our new Chief Exec from a club where this was tried, and succeeded, the board can't fail to accept his input into our future strategy.

Today's crowd? on 11:20 - Aug 21 with 2536 viewsnordenblue

Today's crowd? on 10:59 - Aug 21 by D_Alien

Our new Chief Exec must be tearing his hair out, Frances too. It's one thing to inadvertently alienate potential fans, another to do nothing about it and I agree that something must be done immediately or those staying away will get used to spending their cash elsewhere. There's been a couple of excellent suggestions already - I like the vouchers idea - but why do we have to keep coming up with simple ideas for getting people through the turnstiles?

The stat about any gains from stupid admin fees being wiped out already is a telling one, and should be put on a banner and spread across the rows of empty seats in the Pearl St

It was said at the time and highlighted God knows how many times on here when the pricing originally came out the club have/had got it spectacularly wrong,to then receive contact via the trust explaining the same and inturn totally disregard it I'm afraid shows how the fans are viewed,and now it's after the horse has bolted scenario.

Again it's been done to death but City's champions league game is just over 20 quid an adult,to watch the highest level of football in Europe,it's hardly comparable to a cold night at Spotland in a deserted stadium ("arena") for a similar price watching 3rd tier football.,the customer has far better options currently.

I'm afraid the club chose the price of the product and many customers have shopped elsewhere or in lots of cases not even bothered looking.
Today's crowd? on 11:26 - Aug 21 with 2511 viewsLuke8686

If this happens I will turn up next season at the Sandy in the middle of January wearing nothing but my boxers, and I'm not even joking.
Today's crowd? on 11:47 - Aug 21 with 2456 viewsbiffoboffo

As a Latics supporter living in Rochdale I'd buy a £100 Dale season ticket to attend games where Latics and Dale didn't clash. Old school!!

Its a shame that most fans these days are so polarised and wouldn't dream of doing what I have just suggested and what was quite common years ago.
Today's crowd? on 12:11 - Aug 21 with 2394 viewsTVOS1907

Who do you mean by "no one"?

Today's crowd? on 12:26 - Aug 21 with 2344 viewsTVOS1907

Last ten home league games with less than 2000 home fans:

Yesterday (1964)
Tuesday 23rd Feb 2016 v Fleetwood (1572)
Tuesday 16th Feb 2016 v Crewe (1709)
Tuesday 20th Oct 2015 v Coventry (1915)
Tuesday 29th Sep 2015 v Shrewsbury (1938)
Tuesday 21st Apr 2015 v Leyton Orient (1675)
Tuesday 3rd Mar 2015 v Crewe (1732)
Tuesday 24th Feb 2015 v Sheff U (1897)
Tuesday 16th Sep 2014 v Walsall (1852)
Tuesday 18th Feb 2014 v Burton (1994)

The last Saturday/afternoon home game, before yesterday, with less than 2000 home fans, was v Aldershot on Good Friday 2013 when 1988 Dale fans were present.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2016 12:29]

Today's crowd? on 13:36 - Aug 21 with 2202 viewsLuke8686

Today's crowd? on 12:26 - Aug 21 by TVOS1907

Last ten home league games with less than 2000 home fans:

Yesterday (1964)
Tuesday 23rd Feb 2016 v Fleetwood (1572)
Tuesday 16th Feb 2016 v Crewe (1709)
Tuesday 20th Oct 2015 v Coventry (1915)
Tuesday 29th Sep 2015 v Shrewsbury (1938)
Tuesday 21st Apr 2015 v Leyton Orient (1675)
Tuesday 3rd Mar 2015 v Crewe (1732)
Tuesday 24th Feb 2015 v Sheff U (1897)
Tuesday 16th Sep 2014 v Walsall (1852)
Tuesday 18th Feb 2014 v Burton (1994)

The last Saturday/afternoon home game, before yesterday, with less than 2000 home fans, was v Aldershot on Good Friday 2013 when 1988 Dale fans were present.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2016 12:29]

When did we last get 3,000 home fans for a match?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024