Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale v den Bosch 22:52 - Jul 6 with 2796 viewsmikehunt

I found another crumpled up newspaper during a clear out.
Rochdale Observer Sat 11 August 1979. Match report was the den Bosch friendly that we won 7-2 !
For those interested the teams were:
Dale
Watson, Hallows, Snookes ,Weir, Bannon ,Taylor, Hoy ,Wann, Hilditch, O’Loughlin, Jones
Subs: Esser, Scaife

den Bosch:
Van de Pluym, Adriaanse, Aichorn, Grinsvem, Van de Bosch, Breuer, Van de Dubean, Kamps, Van de Horst, Sherman, Romyn
Subs: Kanters, Rodden, Groot

FT 7-2 (HT 2-2)

Scorers:
Dale: Esser (2), Wann, Weir, Taylor, Hoy (pen), Grinsvem (o.g.)
den Bosch: Romyn, Aichorn

Ref: R A Banks (Radcliffe)
No attendance figure.

Report mentions O’Loughlin was a target of boo-boys the previous season when we had to apply for re- election. We always have to have one 😀

The other article was by Les Barlow about the impending League Cup tie with Blackpool. Bob Stokoe was their manager and had been spending large sums (for the time) signing players.
He goes on to say that if we play like we did against den Bosch “the missing thousands will soon flock back to Spotland”.
What division were Blackpool in and what was the score, please?

He also mentions that Stokoe had watched us vs Forfar in the previous friendly - anyone know the score of that one?

So, there you go. That’s what was happening at the start of the 79/80 season. Any reminiscences?

[Post edited 6 Jul 2022 22:53]

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Dale v den Bosch on 23:28 - Jul 6 with 2687 viewsD_Alien

I was at the Den Bosch friendly. Think there were a couple of thousand inside Spotland, under the impression we were playing a major Dutch outfit! And when we went 0-2 down it was no surprise... but then Dale decided to stop over-respecting them and it ended up as the rout the scoreline suggests

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dale v den Bosch on 07:04 - Jul 7 with 2553 viewsEllDale

I remember this one.
A beautiful Tuesday night at Spotland. It was the first time that I’d seen Alan Weir after signing from Sunderland and he really looked the part driving forward from midfield. I think it may have been Denis Wann’s first game as well.
Weir scored a header at the Sandy Lane end in the second half from memory.
Everyone went home buzzing and thinking that we were going to storm the league. Exactly the opposite happened of course.
Dale v den Bosch on 07:12 - Jul 7 with 2541 viewsseasidedale

I was there it was as said we over respected them at the beginning , I did learn afterwards that Dem Bosch had played a friendly at port vale the previous day!
Dale v den Bosch on 08:25 - Jul 7 with 2471 viewspioneer

lost to blackpool 2-1 over two legs, 1-1 at bloomfield road then blackpool won 1-0 at spotland..Blackpool were in division 3 and just avoided the drop.

Dale won only 1 game in first 15 league games, and seven in total finishing rock bottom.
Dale v den Bosch on 08:33 - Jul 7 with 2454 viewsEllDale

By which time Bob Stokoe was manager after Doug Collins had been sacked!
Dale v den Bosch on 12:44 - Jul 7 with 2265 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

I too would be interested to know the Forfar score.

They must’ve had some size squad down as they kicked off against Dale on the Friday at 7.30 then played away at Port Vale on the next day, Saturday at 3pm
Dale v den Bosch on 19:50 - Jul 7 with 2053 viewsmikehunt

…. and I seem to remember they had drawn 2-2 at Everton prior to playing us (den Bosch that is)

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Dale v den Bosch on 21:24 - Jul 9 with 1750 viewspioneer

Dale v den Bosch on 12:44 - Jul 7 by Albert_Whitehurst

I too would be interested to know the Forfar score.

They must’ve had some size squad down as they kicked off against Dale on the Friday at 7.30 then played away at Port Vale on the next day, Saturday at 3pm

Dale 1 Forfar 1

team: Lambert, Hallows, Snookes, Weir, Bannin, Taylor, Hoy, Wann, Topping, O’Loughlin, Jones. Subs:Oliver, Hilditch, Hart, Scaife

Forfar we t ahead after 16 minutes with a penlty by Brown after a foul by Hallows on Clarke.

“ four minutes later a typical piece of magic from Bobby Hoy left the Forfar defence in his wake. He put over a perfect cross which left trialist Bob Topping with a simple chance. He made no mistake, nodding the ball home”

In addition to Topping, Weir, Wann and Lambert were all making their first appearance in a Dale shirt at Spotland.
Login to get fewer ads

Dale v den Bosch on 21:32 - Jul 9 with 1736 viewsEllDale

That doesn’t look a bad team to be honest which makes what happened over the next nine months even more inexplicable to my mind.
Dale v den Bosch on 21:39 - Jul 9 with 1714 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v den Bosch on 21:24 - Jul 9 by pioneer

Dale 1 Forfar 1

team: Lambert, Hallows, Snookes, Weir, Bannin, Taylor, Hoy, Wann, Topping, O’Loughlin, Jones. Subs:Oliver, Hilditch, Hart, Scaife

Forfar we t ahead after 16 minutes with a penlty by Brown after a foul by Hallows on Clarke.

“ four minutes later a typical piece of magic from Bobby Hoy left the Forfar defence in his wake. He put over a perfect cross which left trialist Bob Topping with a simple chance. He made no mistake, nodding the ball home”

In addition to Topping, Weir, Wann and Lambert were all making their first appearance in a Dale shirt at Spotland.

Did Bob Topping have a brother called Dream?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dale v den Bosch on 21:40 - Jul 9 with 1713 viewsseasidedale

Dale v den Bosch on 21:32 - Jul 9 by EllDale

That doesn’t look a bad team to be honest which makes what happened over the next nine months even more inexplicable to my mind.

Went to that Forfar game but memory isn’t serving me well, who was Lambert in goal
Dale v den Bosch on 01:17 - Jul 10 with 1643 viewspioneer

Dale v den Bosch on 21:40 - Jul 9 by seasidedale

Went to that Forfar game but memory isn’t serving me well, who was Lambert in goal

youngster signed as a back up that never played in first team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024