Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liam Kelly 20:42 - May 7 with 5865 viewssomdale

Anyone else notice him walking off after the game, with no acknowledgement to the fans, cut a sad lonely figure.
I'm guessing he is off, not the Dale fans fault though was it.
Liam Kelly on 21:00 - May 7 with 5793 viewsMass_Debater

No
Liam Kelly on 21:06 - May 7 with 5760 viewsscarrow

Someone would have to pay - he's under contract

Poll: Final position

Liam Kelly on 12:44 - May 8 with 5125 viewsoddjob007

Liam Kelly on 21:06 - May 7 by scarrow

Someone would have to pay - he's under contract

Liam Kelly on 13:15 - May 8 with 5029 viewselectricblue

Perhaps just peeved in not playing...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Liam Kelly on 13:18 - May 8 with 5020 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Liam Kelly on 13:15 - May 8 by electricblue

Perhaps just peeved in not playing...

Or maybe needed a pee.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Liam Kelly on 09:59 - May 9 with 4442 viewseitoof

I'd be quite hopeful that both him and White, with a full pre season under their belts, will be better options for us next season. They are both under contract so maybe I'm just being wildly optimistic!
Liam Kelly on 13:00 - May 9 with 4207 viewsD_Alien

Liam Kelly on 09:59 - May 9 by eitoof

I'd be quite hopeful that both him and White, with a full pre season under their belts, will be better options for us next season. They are both under contract so maybe I'm just being wildly optimistic!

Even at his tender age, Brierley (with a bit of bulking out still to do) already looks physically better suited to the L2 midfield battle than Kelly, and imo there isn't room for both in the Dale midfield. I'd find it very annoying if Kelly were selected ahead of him

R White's problem isn't lack of fitness but simply being injury-prone, a problem we've had with a few players in recent years. I wouldn't bet against him not being up to a full pre-season training regime

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Liam Kelly on 14:24 - May 9 with 4023 viewsDaleiLama

Liam Kelly on 13:00 - May 9 by D_Alien

Even at his tender age, Brierley (with a bit of bulking out still to do) already looks physically better suited to the L2 midfield battle than Kelly, and imo there isn't room for both in the Dale midfield. I'd find it very annoying if Kelly were selected ahead of him

R White's problem isn't lack of fitness but simply being injury-prone, a problem we've had with a few players in recent years. I wouldn't bet against him not being up to a full pre-season training regime

"R White's problem isn't lack of fitness but simply being injury-prone"..............

He did look a bit flat last time out.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Login to get fewer ads

Liam Kelly on 15:54 - May 9 with 3902 viewsfinberty

Liam Kelly on 14:24 - May 9 by DaleiLama

"R White's problem isn't lack of fitness but simply being injury-prone"..............

He did look a bit flat last time out.

A Secret Lemonade Drinker?
Liam Kelly on 21:04 - May 9 with 3627 viewsShun

Liam Kelly on 13:00 - May 9 by D_Alien

Depending on what formation we play next year, I think Brierley, Kelly and Ball would be a fantastic midfield.
Liam Kelly on 21:53 - May 9 with 3567 viewsD_Alien

Liam Kelly on 21:04 - May 9 by Shun

Depending on what formation we play next year, I think Brierley, Kelly and Ball would be a fantastic midfield.

But at what stage this season has Kelly been "fantastic"? My main recollections of him are losing the ball, sometimes in critical positions, and giving away a needless penalty

We need more grit to be competitive than having both Kelly & Brierley as playmakers. One is enough, but that's just my opinion

Liam Kelly on 22:04 - May 9 with 3516 views442Dale

Liam Kelly on 21:53 - May 9 by D_Alien

But at what stage this season has Kelly been "fantastic"? My main recollections of him are losing the ball, sometimes in critical positions, and giving away a needless penalty

We need more grit to be competitive than having both Kelly & Brierley as playmakers. One is enough, but that's just my opinion

Would agree with that and presuming Dooley signs a new deal, any offer for Kelly should be looked at as a bonus. Brierley has shown enough in two games that he can be an asset to develop and whilst Kelly is undoubtedly a good player, he doesn’t impact games enough at this level. Would take the elusive ‘Cavanagh type’ as a straight swap tomorrow.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Liam Kelly on 22:12 - May 9 with 3486 viewsjonahwhereru

Odd question to put to Shun, that.
I agree that 2 play makers would be a risk in your scenario, we could afford to take it at some stage. But the risk within the risk would be playing a teenager with very limited experience as your main play maker. Kelly has some very good performances in the book in a Dale shirt, as well as some dog ones. If Brierley can keep him out of the team from early doors next season I will be thrilled, as that would make him a very sellable asset. As for Kelly he is IMO an asset at this level.
Liam Kelly on 22:16 - May 9 with 3473 viewsD_Alien

Liam Kelly on 22:12 - May 9 by jonahwhereru

Odd question to put to Shun, that.
I agree that 2 play makers would be a risk in your scenario, we could afford to take it at some stage. But the risk within the risk would be playing a teenager with very limited experience as your main play maker. Kelly has some very good performances in the book in a Dale shirt, as well as some dog ones. If Brierley can keep him out of the team from early doors next season I will be thrilled, as that would make him a very sellable asset. As for Kelly he is IMO an asset at this level.

Not at all odd!

I was enquiring, if Kelly were to be part of a "fantastic" midfield trio, on what evidence from this season was it thought that he might be fantastic?

Odd comment in reply to a fair question!!

Liam Kelly on 07:43 - May 10 with 3250 viewsisitme

I would agree, he has been another one who has flattered to deceive. When he signed he came with a technical pedigree, took a while to get adjusted and then put in a few decent performance, but then faded towards the end of the season. I wonder if he physically cannot string together consistent performances. A league season is long and throughout his career he has been injury prone. Some players, no matter how talented they are their bodies cannot cope. Now it is always a gamble signing a 'talented', injury prone player on below market rated in the hope that his injuries are behind him, but it rarely pans out. A player's best ability is availability.

In terms of recruitment a physical holding midfielder should be a priority as our other options are fairly lightweight. Preferred formation(s) for next season will obviously affect what type of player we bring in. Playing three in midfield could mean two play makers and a sitter, although a runner in the mould of Rathbone coupled with Brierley and an experienced holding midfielder would offer more flexibility.

I would be looking for Grant to develop into a key player next year, whether that is in a number 10 role or a wide forward is anyone's guess.
[Post edited 10 May 2022 7:49]
Liam Kelly on 10:03 - May 10 with 3089 viewsDaleiLama

Liam Kelly on 07:43 - May 10 by isitme

I would agree, he has been another one who has flattered to deceive. When he signed he came with a technical pedigree, took a while to get adjusted and then put in a few decent performance, but then faded towards the end of the season. I wonder if he physically cannot string together consistent performances. A league season is long and throughout his career he has been injury prone. Some players, no matter how talented they are their bodies cannot cope. Now it is always a gamble signing a 'talented', injury prone player on below market rated in the hope that his injuries are behind him, but it rarely pans out. A player's best ability is availability.

In terms of recruitment a physical holding midfielder should be a priority as our other options are fairly lightweight. Preferred formation(s) for next season will obviously affect what type of player we bring in. Playing three in midfield could mean two play makers and a sitter, although a runner in the mould of Rathbone coupled with Brierley and an experienced holding midfielder would offer more flexibility.

I would be looking for Grant to develop into a key player next year, whether that is in a number 10 role or a wide forward is anyone's guess.
[Post edited 10 May 2022 7:49]

Agree with your comments on Kelly and Newby. Gifted in some respects, flashing talent, but not consistently effective and as a result, ultimately unreliable. Not saying we'll do better from recruitment, but we should at least aspire to.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Liam Kelly on 10:16 - May 10 with 3056 viewsNigeriamark

Liam Kelly on 10:03 - May 10 by DaleiLama

Agree with your comments on Kelly and Newby. Gifted in some respects, flashing talent, but not consistently effective and as a result, ultimately unreliable. Not saying we'll do better from recruitment, but we should at least aspire to.

When we dropped a devision, I thought Newby would eat up some of the lower league defenses & score quite a few too. Probably my most disappointing player of the season compared to what I expected
Liam Kelly on 11:07 - May 10 with 2958 viewsAtThePeake

Am I the only one who can't see us signing another CM next season?

If we're looking for Brierley to come in and get minutes and we're expecting to play the same formation next season, it's likely he'll replace Broadbent in the squad and if the rest of our CMs remain there may not be room for that more physical ball-winner that many of us have been hoping for.

Tangled up in blue.

Liam Kelly on 11:34 - May 10 with 2908 viewsleedsdale

Liam Kelly on 11:07 - May 10 by AtThePeake

Am I the only one who can't see us signing another CM next season?

If we're looking for Brierley to come in and get minutes and we're expecting to play the same formation next season, it's likely he'll replace Broadbent in the squad and if the rest of our CMs remain there may not be room for that more physical ball-winner that many of us have been hoping for.

That’s partly why I thought Dooley might get moved on, just because all the other players who can play central are already under contract. I guess a change of system may make it more likely we sign someone else, but offering Clark and COK new deals would indicate wing backs will still be preferred. Maybe a 352? Interesting times
Liam Kelly on 11:42 - May 10 with 2875 viewsEllDale

I was under the impression that Ball had been signed to play the ballwinning CM role?
Liam Kelly on 12:01 - May 10 with 2828 viewsD_Alien

Liam Kelly on 11:42 - May 10 by EllDale

I was under the impression that Ball had been signed to play the ballwinning CM role?

He certainly adds strength to the midfield, and has been difficult to knock off the ball when in possession. His main asset though seems to be as a box-to-box type with an eye for goal, whereas i think we'd benefit from a deeper-lying enforcer type who's not too concerned about getting forward. Whether that'd mean reverting to a back four is another matter

Liam Kelly on 12:07 - May 10 with 2806 viewsrichfoad32

Liam Kelly on 12:01 - May 10 by D_Alien

He certainly adds strength to the midfield, and has been difficult to knock off the ball when in possession. His main asset though seems to be as a box-to-box type with an eye for goal, whereas i think we'd benefit from a deeper-lying enforcer type who's not too concerned about getting forward. Whether that'd mean reverting to a back four is another matter

I'm not as high on Ball as others seem to be. He chipped in with a couple of crucial goals and is useful in the air but I'm still not sure where his best position is. At times he just seemed like a mild improvement on Shaugnessy. I realise he was making the step up from non league andd will benefit from a full pre season.
Liam Kelly on 12:18 - May 10 with 2774 viewsD_Alien

Liam Kelly on 12:07 - May 10 by richfoad32

I'm not as high on Ball as others seem to be. He chipped in with a couple of crucial goals and is useful in the air but I'm still not sure where his best position is. At times he just seemed like a mild improvement on Shaugnessy. I realise he was making the step up from non league andd will benefit from a full pre season.

I do know what you mean about his position, i think the point i was making was he's not the midfield terrier type

In terms of adding character to the midfield, what stood out for me (apart from his composure) was making sure the opposition knew they couldn't mess about with our younger and less physical lads - not without having him put himself in the way. That counts for a great deal imo, especially with Grant and now Brierley making progress

Liam Kelly on 12:31 - May 10 with 2717 viewsjonahwhereru

Liam Kelly on 22:16 - May 9 by D_Alien

Not at all odd!

I was enquiring, if Kelly were to be part of a "fantastic" midfield trio, on what evidence from this season was it thought that he might be fantastic?

Odd comment in reply to a fair question!!

The potential for the whole to be better than the sum of the parts may be!

Perhaps a mooted example, Brown and Cole when not played in tandem we average, but together they clicked and were far better as a partnership. Holness and Dawson were very good together, but for that to be so didn’t require Holness to have previously proved he was very good in his own right.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024