Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea in Europe 13:47 - Apr 23 with 1834 viewspioneer

Anyone else confused about how swansea can represent England in Europe next year? The welsh FA already have their own league and cup competition (which swansea enter) with the winners having a place in Europe.

In the event of any 'problems' with their participation (crowd trouble, players discipline etc) who will have jurisdiction, The FA or the WFA?

The problem only gets worse next year with one tenth of the premier league being of the sheep-loving variety.

I havent been on the UEFA site recently but it used to be the case that the list of fixtures had the flag of the country next to their name. Will Swansea appear with an English flag, because they are representing England.

If they can have one of our European places can we have Gareth Bale for the england team?
Swansea in Europe on 13:51 - Apr 23 with 1819 viewsmacro

They play in the English league so are eligible. Same as if the unlikely scenario of Berwick ever qualifying they'd take a Scottish place
Swansea in Europe on 13:52 - Apr 23 with 1807 viewsSuddenLad

I think the answer is simply because they play in the English League, they qualify through that to represent England in Europe.

That said, (as Dale fans know) when hosting games in Swansea, any disciplinary matters are dealt with by the Welsh FA, as they have jurisdiction over the area.

Dale players have suffered unjustly at the hands of the Welsh FA a few times down the years when disciplinary matters have been dealt with involving games on Welsh opposition grounds.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Swansea in Europe on 15:46 - Apr 23 with 1728 viewsdingdangblue

How did Swansea do in the Welsh cup this season?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Swansea in Europe on 16:20 - Apr 23 with 1693 viewssweetcorn

"Anyone else confused about how swansea can represent England in Europe next year? The welsh FA already have their own league and cup competition (which swansea enter) with the winners having a place in Europe."

OP you're misinformed, although the winners may qualify for Europe, Cardiff, Swansea or any other team in the English Leagues cannot represent the Welsh FA in Europe. So although they can and do enter, its simply for the cup, not a european place.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Swansea in Europe on 16:58 - Apr 23 with 1655 viewsdavidab2202

Swansea in Europe on 16:20 - Apr 23 by sweetcorn

"Anyone else confused about how swansea can represent England in Europe next year? The welsh FA already have their own league and cup competition (which swansea enter) with the winners having a place in Europe."

OP you're misinformed, although the winners may qualify for Europe, Cardiff, Swansea or any other team in the English Leagues cannot represent the Welsh FA in Europe. So although they can and do enter, its simply for the cup, not a european place.

Not convinced that any clubs who choose to be in the "Football Pyramid" involving promotion ultimately to the Premier League have any involvement in the Welsh F.A.Cup.That includes clubs at lower levels i.e Newport ,Wrexham,Colwyn Bay as well as Swansea and Cardiff.
Swansea in Europe on 22:13 - Apr 23 with 1504 viewsmikehunt

Swansea in Europe on 16:58 - Apr 23 by davidab2202

Not convinced that any clubs who choose to be in the "Football Pyramid" involving promotion ultimately to the Premier League have any involvement in the Welsh F.A.Cup.That includes clubs at lower levels i.e Newport ,Wrexham,Colwyn Bay as well as Swansea and Cardiff.

Didn't they close the loophole of welsh teams qualifying for Europe by entering the Welsh cup despite playing in the English Leagues? You have to play in the Welsh league to enter the Welsh cup.
Remember Wrexham beating some top Portuguese Team over two legs in Europe once. They had won the first leg 2-0 but were being dicked 4-0 with 5 mins to go when they managed to knock in two and win on away goals. Can't remember the season but I think they were in our division at the time.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Swansea in Europe on 22:34 - Apr 23 with 1491 viewswimborne_dale

Swansea in Europe on 22:13 - Apr 23 by mikehunt

Didn't they close the loophole of welsh teams qualifying for Europe by entering the Welsh cup despite playing in the English Leagues? You have to play in the Welsh league to enter the Welsh cup.
Remember Wrexham beating some top Portuguese Team over two legs in Europe once. They had won the first leg 2-0 but were being dicked 4-0 with 5 mins to go when they managed to knock in two and win on away goals. Can't remember the season but I think they were in our division at the time.

I remember at one time the team winning the welsh cup were granted a european place provided they were a welsh team regardless of which league they played in. Hence Wrexham got into Europe but not Shrewsbury.

Edit: When Cardiff reached the FA Cup Final (two years ago?) it was mentioned that they would be granted a plcae in Europe if they won it. So as usual its one rule for the English, another rule for the welsh.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Edgar Allan's Crow

Swansea in Europe on 00:08 - Apr 24 with 1457 viewsTVOS1907

Swansea in Europe on 22:13 - Apr 23 by mikehunt

http://blogs.dailypost.co.uk/northwalesfootball/2011/03/north-wales-football-clu

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea in Europe on 00:30 - Apr 24 with 1447 viewsmikehunt

Swansea in Europe on 00:08 - Apr 24 by TVOS1907

http://blogs.dailypost.co.uk/northwalesfootball/2011/03/north-wales-football-clu

Cheers TVOS. I was nearly right :-)

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Swansea in Europe on 02:46 - Apr 24 with 1434 viewspioneer

Swansea in Europe on 16:20 - Apr 23 by sweetcorn

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware the regulations had changed. Remember those great european adventures of Cardiff reaching the semis and Wrexham progressing, all representing wales.

So now we have welsh teams that can represent England but not wales, and english teams that can represent Scotland but not England (and I suppose for a period Gretna were qualified to represent England but not Scotland, but we put paid to that anomoly occurring)

Sounds like something off Yes Minister.

Swansea in Europe on 20:14 - Apr 24 with 1297 viewsTVOS1907

Swansea in Europe on 13:52 - Apr 23 by SuddenLad

I think the answer is simply because they play in the English League, they qualify through that to represent England in Europe.

That said, (as Dale fans know) when hosting games in Swansea, any disciplinary matters are dealt with by the Welsh FA, as they have jurisdiction over the area.

Dale players have suffered unjustly at the hands of the Welsh FA a few times down the years when disciplinary matters have been dealt with involving games on Welsh opposition grounds.

And the Welsh FA overturned David Artell's red card for Wrexham on Saturday, meaning he could play last night.

And then he scored the opener!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024