Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
13th man get behind the Team 23:21 - Feb 21 with 3612 viewscrazyhorse

Hilly's ten minute interview on Dale player mostly references supporters and their part to play n helping the team win games. He wants Encouragment through thick and thin.

IMO he's dissapointed with frustrated fans who in desperation want it lobbed forward to bypass fortress like stubborn defensive formations.

Hilly calls for support. The players need the fans to rally the young players.
13th man get behind the Team on 23:38 - Feb 21 with 2900 views100notout

Good job this fella isn't a Dale fan!!!

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

13th man get behind the Team on 00:38 - Feb 22 with 2842 viewsDaleFan7

In his interview with BBC Radio he came across as an arrogant w*nker, nothing new there then.
13th man get behind the Team on 00:52 - Feb 22 with 2827 viewsDaley_Lama

Hilly called for the same for the Sheffield Weds game.

Despite keeping Weds quiet in the first half (especially their fans after 10 minutes) there was nothing from any stand aside from a sotto voce comment occasionally.

Don't get me wrong, some of the Dale fans did REALLY get behind the team in the first half and they continued during half time in Studds telling other fans in song that they weren't true Dale fans unless they chucked beer over each other and acted like they were in a mud puddle/mosh pit at Glastonbury.

I'd love for Hilly to pop up to the top of the TDS for one game incognito with dark glasses etc, purely to see if he found it worse than the main stand moaners.

Poll: DF in or out

13th man get behind the Team on 04:02 - Feb 22 with 2780 viewsTalkingSutty

13th man get behind the Team on 00:52 - Feb 22 by Daley_Lama

Hilly called for the same for the Sheffield Weds game.

Despite keeping Weds quiet in the first half (especially their fans after 10 minutes) there was nothing from any stand aside from a sotto voce comment occasionally.

Don't get me wrong, some of the Dale fans did REALLY get behind the team in the first half and they continued during half time in Studds telling other fans in song that they weren't true Dale fans unless they chucked beer over each other and acted like they were in a mud puddle/mosh pit at Glastonbury.

I'd love for Hilly to pop up to the top of the TDS for one game incognito with dark glasses etc, purely to see if he found it worse than the main stand moaners.

For gods sake if they play crap the paying customer is entitled to voice his opinion thats how football is, he is fighting a battle that he can never win. Hilly doesnt need to come into the TDS in disguise to check what the fans are saying he needs to change the record.

We have had posts criticising supporters in the main stand, Sandy and the TDS , as a club it sounds like the fans are a right set of w***** s and some of the supporters encourage that theory.

Why highlight a incident in a bar that is obviously a one off and probably involved glory hunters who only turn up once in a blue moon. It doesnt matter what stand we watch from the overwhelming majority of Dale fans are sound as a pound.

The best thing Hilly can do is realise that his level really is lower league football because if he managed at a club with a big fan base the pressure and expectancy from the fans would kill him, he struggles now managing the expectancy from a crowd of 2000, its laughable really we are in a play off/promotion position with 2 months left and its wrong because we have expectations.Thats just weird.
13th man get behind the Team on 08:39 - Feb 22 with 2687 viewsSuddenLad

If they play crap, fans will always moan. I think Hilly is pointing out that we are playing good football, are 4th in the league, have the best home record in the division and yet people moan week-in, week-out.

What for ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

13th man get behind the Team on 08:57 - Feb 22 with 2669 viewsD_Alien

13th man get behind the Team on 08:39 - Feb 22 by SuddenLad

If they play crap, fans will always moan. I think Hilly is pointing out that we are playing good football, are 4th in the league, have the best home record in the division and yet people moan week-in, week-out.

What for ?

Because a very small minority who've been brought up watching crap football have it ingrained into their mindset that going to watch Dale is about having a bloody good moan, no matter what.

These types are beyond education, as they probably were at school.

The real question is: why is KH expending so much mental energy on them? I'm pretty damn sure the players realise these types are w@nkers and don't need "protecting" from them.

Never in the history of Rochdale FC has so much energy been expended on so few.

[Post edited 22 Feb 2014 8:58]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

13th man get behind the Team on 11:20 - Feb 22 with 2541 viewsboromat

We didn't play 'crap' against Burton. I think that is what has brought this recent frustration on. And we would have had a better chance of winning if our(the supporters) frustration hadn't have worn off on the players.

A lot of teams will come to Spotland from now until the end of the season and play exactly the same way, we have to be more patient and accept the task in hand. I also don't think there are many if any teams in the league that do it better than Burton.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

13th man get behind the Team on 11:28 - Feb 22 with 2530 viewsR17ALE

I could post this on a number of threads, but I sense an over reaction from some on here to what Hilly has said. He should perhaps be more selective in his interviews, but in his programme notes he is always full of praise for the fans.

We also need to remember that The Ob is appallingly written, and phrases Hill's quotes out of context to paint a picture of it's the whole fanbase when in reality it's about 50 or so old blokes behind the home dugout.

I think we need to keep our own sense of perspective on the bigger picture and not make a mountain out of what, frankly, is a molehill.

The reality is: He's been quoted (rightly or wrongly) as saying fans need to encourage our patient approach more loudly. Turning on the players is detrimental. Tbh, I couldn't agree with him more!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Login to get fewer ads

13th man get behind the Team on 11:34 - Feb 22 with 2516 viewsSuddenLad

13th man get behind the Team on 11:28 - Feb 22 by R17ALE

I could post this on a number of threads, but I sense an over reaction from some on here to what Hilly has said. He should perhaps be more selective in his interviews, but in his programme notes he is always full of praise for the fans.

We also need to remember that The Ob is appallingly written, and phrases Hill's quotes out of context to paint a picture of it's the whole fanbase when in reality it's about 50 or so old blokes behind the home dugout.

I think we need to keep our own sense of perspective on the bigger picture and not make a mountain out of what, frankly, is a molehill.

The reality is: He's been quoted (rightly or wrongly) as saying fans need to encourage our patient approach more loudly. Turning on the players is detrimental. Tbh, I couldn't agree with him more!

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^.

The remarks are aimed at very, very few, but scores seem to be suffering vicarious wounds. If it ain't you KH is talking about, don't get het-up about it.

As for the Ob. You'd think they would want to increase circulation rather than turn people away from reading the rag. The 'slant' they have put on the story appearing on the back page of today's edition is a joke.

13th man get behind the Team on 13:39 - Feb 22 with 2444 viewsTalkingSutty

13th man get behind the Team on 11:34 - Feb 22 by SuddenLad

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^.

The remarks are aimed at very, very few, but scores seem to be suffering vicarious wounds. If it ain't you KH is talking about, don't get het-up about it.

As for the Ob. You'd think they would want to increase circulation rather than turn people away from reading the rag. The 'slant' they have put on the story appearing on the back page of today's edition is a joke.

Agree with that but the observer didnt put a slant on Hills words they quoted him word for word. He gave them the ammunition and to the uneducated reader they will just see a visit up to Spotland as not worth the aggro. He should have stipulated in his interview that it is a small minority but he didnt instead he used the words "the fans and the crowd" the Oserver just lift his words straight off Dale Player its easy pickings for them.

Hills comments took away the plaudits that the team should have received for gaining a hard fought point.

This post has been edited by an administrator
13th man get behind the Team on 14:04 - Feb 22 with 2396 viewsTheViewFromRowZ

I thought it had been a while since we had one of these threads..Hill really just needs to concentrate on the football, not continuously give attention to the handful of idiots who would moan if we were 10 points clear at the top, certain folk will always find something to have a pop at. I didn't see hardly any of his interviews at Barnsley, but was he this frequent in his scathing of the fans for lack of 'patience' and 'understanding'. I love the man for what he has brought to the club, but he needs to let this go, its becoming tedious to even the most imperturbable of supporters.
13th man get behind the Team on 14:09 - Feb 22 with 2384 viewsR17ALE

13th man get behind the Team on 13:39 - Feb 22 by TalkingSutty

Agree with that but the observer didnt put a slant on Hills words they quoted him word for word. He gave them the ammunition and to the uneducated reader they will just see a visit up to Spotland as not worth the aggro. He should have stipulated in his interview that it is a small minority but he didnt instead he used the words "the fans and the crowd" the Oserver just lift his words straight off Dale Player its easy pickings for them.

Hills comments took away the plaudits that the team should have received for gaining a hard fought point.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I don't think so, and I don't think The Ob's reporting was reflective of Hill's comment. There is no emotion in black and white text.

Hilly is working his bollocks off to give us back our club, give us saleable assets, give us winning football, give us some pride back, and give us a chance of promotion. We're 4th with 54 points from 34 games.

To give it a sense of perspective, on this very day last year, we played out a turgid 0-0 at Barnet, got stuffed 3-0 at home to Accy the following Tuesday evening, and then lost 3-0 again at Morecambe the following Saturday.

So, if I'd overseen 12 months of such rapid progression like that, but continued to hear moronic negativity from small pockets, then I too would feel a bit miffed and would react which is what he has understandably done, but after reading the Ob, you'd never guess what the true state of affairs are.

Hilly has earned a lot of slack in my book. And as I alluded to earlier, in other publications he is always very complimentary about the fans. It's just the Ob which tries to be a hippy red top now and again.

13th man get behind the Team on 14:24 - Feb 22 with 2358 viewsTalkingSutty

13th man get behind the Team on 14:09 - Feb 22 by R17ALE

I don't think so, and I don't think The Ob's reporting was reflective of Hill's comment. There is no emotion in black and white text.

Hilly is working his bollocks off to give us back our club, give us saleable assets, give us winning football, give us some pride back, and give us a chance of promotion. We're 4th with 54 points from 34 games.

To give it a sense of perspective, on this very day last year, we played out a turgid 0-0 at Barnet, got stuffed 3-0 at home to Accy the following Tuesday evening, and then lost 3-0 again at Morecambe the following Saturday.

So, if I'd overseen 12 months of such rapid progression like that, but continued to hear moronic negativity from small pockets, then I too would feel a bit miffed and would react which is what he has understandably done, but after reading the Ob, you'd never guess what the true state of affairs are.

Hilly has earned a lot of slack in my book. And as I alluded to earlier, in other publications he is always very complimentary about the fans. It's just the Ob which tries to be a hippy red top now and again.

But the Ob have quoted him word for word , Hilly didnt say it was the odd few he said the fans need educating and they assisted Burton and he might as well go on holiday.The interview is on Dale Player.

We all know Hilly is top notch when it comes to putting out a football team but his comments regarding the fans (not the few) do nobody any favours whatsoever. It takes away any feel good factor and cant help in enticing people to take in the odd game.
13th man get behind the Team on 14:36 - Feb 22 with 2329 viewsDaley_Lama

13th man get behind the Team on 14:24 - Feb 22 by TalkingSutty

But the Ob have quoted him word for word , Hilly didnt say it was the odd few he said the fans need educating and they assisted Burton and he might as well go on holiday.The interview is on Dale Player.

We all know Hilly is top notch when it comes to putting out a football team but his comments regarding the fans (not the few) do nobody any favours whatsoever. It takes away any feel good factor and cant help in enticing people to take in the odd game.

TS

Why highlight a incident in a bar that is obviously a one off and probably involved glory hunters who only turn up once in a blue moon. It doesnt matter what stand we watch from the overwhelming majority of Dale fans are sound as a pound.

It was regulars, drunk out of their heads acting like Studds was a mosh pit, bounding into each other and chucking beer at each other and as a bye-product, me.

13th man get behind the Team on 14:43 - Feb 22 with 2306 viewsTalkingSutty

13th man get behind the Team on 14:36 - Feb 22 by Daley_Lama

TS

It was regulars, drunk out of their heads acting like Studds was a mosh pit, bounding into each other and chucking beer at each other and as a bye-product, me.

Well i go in there every home match and i have never seen that before, it didnt happen last Tuesday night. Are u sure it wasnt because it was a big cup game and some of them attend once in a blue moon. Anyway whats that got to do with Hillys reaction to the fans which is what the thread is about,was he having a pint at the time?
13th man get behind the Team on 14:44 - Feb 22 with 2301 viewsR17ALE

13th man get behind the Team on 14:24 - Feb 22 by TalkingSutty

I'm not sure you get the point about words changing meaning when taken from the spoken and put into text. I could say to you in person, "bloody hell Talking Sutty, you're hard work" with a wink and a smile.

Or, I could have simply posted "bloody hell Talking Sutty, you're hard work" which would most likely cause you offence.

If the Ob had reported my words to you, the headline would be "Razzle labels Dale fans hard work!"

Anyway, to quote you, "you need to move on or you'll end up at Junction 22"!

13th man get behind the Team on 14:52 - Feb 22 with 2277 viewsTalkingSutty

13th man get behind the Team on 14:44 - Feb 22 by R17ALE

I'm not sure you get the point about words changing meaning when taken from the spoken and put into text. I could say to you in person, "bloody hell Talking Sutty, you're hard work" with a wink and a smile.

Or, I could have simply posted "bloody hell Talking Sutty, you're hard work" which would most likely cause you offence.

If the Ob had reported my words to you, the headline would be "Razzle labels Dale fans hard work!"

Anyway, to quote you, "you need to move on or you'll end up at Junction 22"!

You know i have a bad back and i am interpreting that as "bullying". Its put me in a bad mood all week hence all the whingeing.
13th man get behind the Team on 15:02 - Feb 22 with 2249 viewsSuddenLad

Th'Observer could quite easily have chosen a different banner headline for the back page. Many a customer in a newsagents shop will see the headline and not buy the paper (an increasing number it seems) but still get the wrong impression about things.

The headline implies there is a serious problem with dissenting fans which is far removed from the truth. Any reference to whingers could easily have been mentioned anywhere in the inside pages without creating a blatantly false impression. It's a non-event in the bigger scheme of things and 99% of supporters know that.

The headline could just as easily read 'Resolute Dale earn a draw'. or 'A draw for never-say-die Dale"

This sort of reporting seems endemic in the media these days. Yesterday I saw the deadline 'British curling team fail to land gold'.

What's wrong with saying " British Curling Team win Olympic Silver". It's the headline that draws the attention. There was no need to be negative. The Observer headline is almost spiteful in the way it's written.

13th man get behind the Team on 15:13 - Feb 22 with 2226 viewsDaley_Lama

13th man get behind the Team on 14:43 - Feb 22 by TalkingSutty

Well i go in there every home match and i have never seen that before, it didnt happen last Tuesday night. Are u sure it wasnt because it was a big cup game and some of them attend once in a blue moon. Anyway whats that got to do with Hillys reaction to the fans which is what the thread is about,was he having a pint at the time?

Same ones as sit bottom right hand corner of TDS, goading away fans and occasionally home fans.

What has it got to do with Hilly's reaction? It was in reference to his call for the Dale fans to be the 13th man. Hence my first sentence being that he asked for this before the Wednesday game.

I then went on to explain that even though he asked for it, he didn't get it despite us playing well, quietening down the away support. What we got versus Leeds did not happen versus Weds.

I then highlighted that those that claim to get behind the team (and slag off others in song when they don't stand up because they love the dale) acted like pans that day. I should have also said that they were quiet during the first half but very vocal in the bar at half time.

In summary, a lot of those that usually get behind the team as Hilly wants are usually winkered out of their tree.

Perhaps free beer for all should be given out at Spotland.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2014 15:15]

13th man get behind the Team on 15:21 - Feb 22 with 2200 viewsR17ALE

13th man get behind the Team on 15:02 - Feb 22 by SuddenLad

Th'Observer could quite easily have chosen a different banner headline for the back page. Many a customer in a newsagents shop will see the headline and not buy the paper (an increasing number it seems) but still get the wrong impression about things.

The headline implies there is a serious problem with dissenting fans which is far removed from the truth. Any reference to whingers could easily have been mentioned anywhere in the inside pages without creating a blatantly false impression. It's a non-event in the bigger scheme of things and 99% of supporters know that.

The headline could just as easily read 'Resolute Dale earn a draw'. or 'A draw for never-say-die Dale"

This sort of reporting seems endemic in the media these days. Yesterday I saw the deadline 'British curling team fail to land gold'.

What's wrong with saying " British Curling Team win Olympic Silver". It's the headline that draws the attention. There was no need to be negative. The Observer headline is almost spiteful in the way it's written.

The fabric of the Ob, for as long as I can recall has been pro Hornets, anti-Dale. I imagine, the Ob may not even exist in ten years time.

And yet, in a smaller town like Halifax, they produce a quality local paper daily, which is professionally done.

When the Ob goes tits up it will create an opening for an enterprising organisation to launch a new Rochdale paper to fill the void. Perhaps a football club led local paper might give the two clubs the coverage they deserve!

13th man get behind the Team on 15:45 - Feb 22 with 2156 viewsD_Alien

13th man get behind the Team on 15:02 - Feb 22 by SuddenLad

The answer's so bloody simple it shouldn't need saying:

Don't give them the ammo!

[Post edited 22 Feb 2014 15:49]

13th man get behind the Team on 15:53 - Feb 22 with 2132 viewsSuddenLad

13th man get behind the Team on 15:45 - Feb 22 by D_Alien

The answer's so bloody simple it shouldn't need saying:

Don't give them the ammo!

[Post edited 22 Feb 2014 15:49]

Definitely - best ignored - but a sense of proportion is also imperative if the verbal diarrhoea spouted by these knobheads is to be put into perspective.

13th man get behind the Team on 16:12 - Feb 22 with 2105 viewsTalkingSutty

13th man get behind the Team on 15:13 - Feb 22 by Daley_Lama

Same ones as sit bottom right hand corner of TDS, goading away fans and occasionally home fans.

What has it got to do with Hilly's reaction? It was in reference to his call for the Dale fans to be the 13th man. Hence my first sentence being that he asked for this before the Wednesday game.

I then went on to explain that even though he asked for it, he didn't get it despite us playing well, quietening down the away support. What we got versus Leeds did not happen versus Weds.

I then highlighted that those that claim to get behind the team (and slag off others in song when they don't stand up because they love the dale) acted like pans that day. I should have also said that they were quiet during the first half but very vocal in the bar at half time.

In summary, a lot of those that usually get behind the team as Hilly wants are usually winkered out of their tree.

Perhaps free beer for all should be given out at Spotland.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2014 15:15]

But what happened in the bar at half time is nothing to do with supporting the team,the players where in the dressing room.

You say a lot of those that get behind the Dale are winkered out of their heads, i dont understand that? So 95% of the TDS stand were in the bar and drunk (maybe 1500 fans) or the majority who go in the stand dont support the team properly.

If u are talking about 30/40 idiots who decide to get drunk thats not something thats a regular occurance and if they are doing it in the bar why would that bother Hilly.
13th man get behind the Team on 16:22 - Feb 22 with 2085 viewsDaley_Lama

13th man get behind the Team on 16:12 - Feb 22 by TalkingSutty

But what happened in the bar at half time is nothing to do with supporting the team,the players where in the dressing room.

You say a lot of those that get behind the Dale are winkered out of their heads, i dont understand that? So 95% of the TDS stand were in the bar and drunk (maybe 1500 fans) or the majority who go in the stand dont support the team properly.

If u are talking about 30/40 idiots who decide to get drunk thats not something thats a regular occurance and if they are doing it in the bar why would that bother Hilly.

What happened in the bar has got something to do with a discussion on supporting the team.

The individuals who were doing it are the individuals who vocally sing songs saying the 95% aren't proper Dale fans. If that is not relevant in such a discussion I don't know what is.

Yet the same ones can on occasion be silent until they get into the bar and then suddenly full of voice while acting like hyper-active tiggers. If that again is not relevant I don't know what is.

In the end, most dale fans support the team properly and the odd voice irritates Hilly and he retorts. Sometimes it's against the individuals, sometimes it genrealisations. Nothing new there, it was a constant theme in his first term.

13th man get behind the Team on 16:29 - Feb 22 with 2056 viewsD_Alien

13th man get behind the Team on 16:22 - Feb 22 by Daley_Lama

What happened in the bar has got something to do with a discussion on supporting the team.

The individuals who were doing it are the individuals who vocally sing songs saying the 95% aren't proper Dale fans. If that is not relevant in such a discussion I don't know what is.

Yet the same ones can on occasion be silent until they get into the bar and then suddenly full of voice while acting like hyper-active tiggers. If that again is not relevant I don't know what is.

In the end, most dale fans support the team properly and the odd voice irritates Hilly and he retorts. Sometimes it's against the individuals, sometimes it genrealisations. Nothing new there, it was a constant theme in his first term.

Your last sentence is very relevant.

Many of us were expecting him to have "lived and learnt" - having moved on from Dale and then returning with a seemingly more chilled approach to the art and science of management. It seems not, which is just a bit disappointing - nothing more.

[Post edited 22 Feb 2014 16:31]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024