Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joey Thompson 23:19 - Aug 6 with 26840 viewschuckleberry

Signs six month contract, apparently. Anyone heard the same?
Joey Thompson on 20:15 - Aug 7 with 3061 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 19:21 - Aug 7 by olympicdale

This is a truly staggering signing, I would love to hear Hill's justified reasons behind it, because it makes little to no sense. I said at the start of the season that Hill has possibly taken this team as far as he can, or as far as he wants to take them.

What was Hills remit at the start of the season, there are clearly expectations from the chairmen and directors to push on this year, but signings like this do little to excite fans expectations, which seems to be Hills objective.

Joey Thompson divided opinion constantly when he was here, but he was never good enough in a poorer team, so how, when you see how far this team has come, can he get in to this team? It's just another bench warmer, keeping players like Rathbone off the bench. Thompson is a player who Hill trusts, it's a safety move, but this almost isn't about Thompson, more of what he represents, and the message it sends to the fans.

Every time I read about Hill citing the fans expectations, as a reason for failure, it infuriates me. Does he know where he is, the majority of Dale fans will be content to purely consolidate in League one, a playoff push would be a bonus. The sad fact is, that this team could be good enough to make that leap, with a couple of good additions Dale could get a top 6 finish, this terrifies Hill, he's become a victim of his own success. He is not a born winner, the fear of success will be his undoing as a manager, and I don't see him wanting a higher move any time soon.

Is this purely a sentimental move, given everything Joey has been through, we're not a charity case, because for footballing reasons I can't think of one reason that makes sense about this deal.

Without expectation no club shouldn't bother existing, fans need to believe and expect better, and that needs to come from your manager to have that same ambition, instead of creating problems where there aren't any. If Hill' goal is to diffuse any chance of success this year, then a few more signings like this should help.

Magnificent post that, condenses the majority of posts into one. Some won't agree obviously but I am sure the majority will.
Joey Thompson on 20:16 - Aug 7 with 3061 viewsroccydaleian

Joey Thompson on 19:58 - Aug 7 by rochedale

How bizarre. Just text Billy now asking if he rated him, here is his reply...

'No i thought he was shit but i can remember when i was in the box for my birthday against oxford and i had to choose him as man of match cos he scored an absoloute screamer. Why?'

He is a keeper though!

Has he still got gay hair? It it a family thing?
Joey Thompson on 20:20 - Aug 7 with 3049 viewsrochedale

Joey Thompson on 20:16 - Aug 7 by roccydaleian

Has he still got gay hair? It it a family thing?

Haha, nah, he shaves it now, so it's just me with the dodgy barnet now! 😃

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Joey Thompson on 21:09 - Aug 7 with 2933 viewsTVOS1907

Joey Thompson on 20:04 - Aug 7 by TalkingSutty

Might have this wrong but I remember him planting a header into the back of the TDS net one Tuesday evening, against Hull City I think. I remember it being the goal that sealed a place in the Play Offs.

Partially right.

It was the first goal in a 3-2 win v Hull. The introduction of Townson and McCourt turned the game.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Joey Thompson on 21:45 - Aug 7 with 2841 viewsfitzochris

I remember him scoring us a last-minute goal to win an FA Cup replay against Tamworth.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Joey Thompson on 21:47 - Aug 7 with 2839 viewsD_Alien

Surely his most memorable goal was the winner against Cambridge? He won the game late on with a superb header at the Sandy Lane end. I was right behind it, in the days when I used to slum it!

*Edited

[Post edited 7 Aug 2016 21:52]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Joey Thompson on 21:51 - Aug 7 with 2820 viewsboromat

Joey Thompson on 21:45 - Aug 7 by fitzochris

I remember him scoring us a last-minute goal to win an FA Cup replay against Tamworth.

That's the one I remember MO for nearly an embarrassing exit. It was from pretty far out from what I remember. He was decent for us at that time Oliver just not very mobile.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Joey Thompson on 21:51 - Aug 7 with 2815 viewsTVOS1907

Joey Thompson on 21:47 - Aug 7 by D_Alien

Surely his most memorable goal was the winner against Cambridge? He won the game late on with a superb header at the Sandy Lane end. I was right behind it, in the days when I used to slum it!

*Edited

* written before edit

Oliver only scored the winner that night.

The others were an own goal, Townson and Simpson.

#wewonsoicanmentionit

Login to get fewer ads

Joey Thompson on 21:54 - Aug 7 with 2802 viewsD_Alien

Joey Thompson on 21:51 - Aug 7 by TVOS1907

* written before edit

Oliver only scored the winner that night.

The others were an own goal, Townson and Simpson.

#wewonsoicanmentionit

Yep, I looked it up after I'd posted it, and then edited!

It felt like a hat trick at the time...

Joey Thompson on 23:15 - Aug 7 with 2654 viewsolympicdale

Joey Thompson on 20:15 - Aug 7 by TalkingSutty

Magnificent post that, condenses the majority of posts into one. Some won't agree obviously but I am sure the majority will.

Cheers TS, I'm sure some wont but I stand by it, but a Joey Thompson thread always divides the Dale faithful.

Life is a game of fate.

Joey Thompson on 06:37 - Aug 8 with 2499 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Joey Thompson on 23:15 - Aug 7 by olympicdale

Cheers TS, I'm sure some wont but I stand by it, but a Joey Thompson thread always divides the Dale faithful.

Correct, there are two clear camps...those that know he is sh1t and will say so vs. those who know he is sh1t but don't want to hammer a local lad so will always try and put a positive spin on his shortcomings.

If we were struggling at the foot of league 2 this would be a desperate measure. For a club aiming at promotion from league 1 this is nothing short of a dreadful signing.
Joey Thompson on 07:04 - Aug 8 with 2469 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 23:15 - Aug 7 by olympicdale

You mentioned the signing sending out the wrong message and that's spot on. Thompson,and i think it would have been Holness, all had their time and proved to be not good enough or else they wouldn't have been released. A lot of waters passed under the bridge since their departures and they have steadily dropped out of the league and into oblivion. They can't even get fixed up at a Conference/National Club.

Some will post that Thompson is just a squad filler but he's taking a wage and we all know he isn't good enough to break into the first team so what's the point?? RNL is another, done rock all for nearly two years and just remained on the bench or sat in the Stands injured, Hill rightly released him but then out of the blue brings him back, on Saturday he resumed his normal place In the stands. We are already carrying Lund who seems to have become constantly injured and Vincentis another one who struggles to put a run of games together and last season he went backwards, no matter how much he doesn't like hearing it, he had a very poor season.

The Thompson signing has knocked the stuffing out of me and made me question Hills motives. When I hand over my money at the turnstile I want to be sure the manager is striving to put together the strongest squad he can and for the first time ever I am questioning the reasons behind the recruitment of certain players and it's not just based on their footballing attributes. They definitely don't represent progression and I would defy the manager to argue that point. We also know that Hills Budget hasn't been slashed to accommodate purchasing the Stadium , that's not how the Chairman and Directors work at this Club, they wouldn't do that to Hill, so that notion is a no starter.

I never thought I would see the day when Hill would try to recruit Joe Thompson and Marcus Holness again, we're better than that now aren't we?? For the first time it's now making me wonder whether Hills time at the Club is coming to an end, if he's lost his mojo and desire to actually make the team stronger then he should hold his hands up and call it a day, hand the reins over to Chris Beech.

Personally, I have always loved Hillys skills as a manager but the whole sideshow that comes with him has worn me down and I'm sick of hearing it,Thompson and Holness have pushed me over the edge. If I hear the word EXPECTATIONS again I'll bloody scream. No expectations allowed at the start of a brand new season and we are trying to attract extra supporters, how sad is that?

No doubt tomorrow's cup game will be treated as a game to give fringe players a run out, expectations of drawing a big club in the next round and boosting the coffers will be stamped on, i think I'll stay at home instead.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 7:25]
Joey Thompson on 08:07 - Aug 8 with 2387 viewsTVOS1907

Joey Thompson on 07:04 - Aug 8 by TalkingSutty

You mentioned the signing sending out the wrong message and that's spot on. Thompson,and i think it would have been Holness, all had their time and proved to be not good enough or else they wouldn't have been released. A lot of waters passed under the bridge since their departures and they have steadily dropped out of the league and into oblivion. They can't even get fixed up at a Conference/National Club.

Some will post that Thompson is just a squad filler but he's taking a wage and we all know he isn't good enough to break into the first team so what's the point?? RNL is another, done rock all for nearly two years and just remained on the bench or sat in the Stands injured, Hill rightly released him but then out of the blue brings him back, on Saturday he resumed his normal place In the stands. We are already carrying Lund who seems to have become constantly injured and Vincentis another one who struggles to put a run of games together and last season he went backwards, no matter how much he doesn't like hearing it, he had a very poor season.

The Thompson signing has knocked the stuffing out of me and made me question Hills motives. When I hand over my money at the turnstile I want to be sure the manager is striving to put together the strongest squad he can and for the first time ever I am questioning the reasons behind the recruitment of certain players and it's not just based on their footballing attributes. They definitely don't represent progression and I would defy the manager to argue that point. We also know that Hills Budget hasn't been slashed to accommodate purchasing the Stadium , that's not how the Chairman and Directors work at this Club, they wouldn't do that to Hill, so that notion is a no starter.

I never thought I would see the day when Hill would try to recruit Joe Thompson and Marcus Holness again, we're better than that now aren't we?? For the first time it's now making me wonder whether Hills time at the Club is coming to an end, if he's lost his mojo and desire to actually make the team stronger then he should hold his hands up and call it a day, hand the reins over to Chris Beech.

Personally, I have always loved Hillys skills as a manager but the whole sideshow that comes with him has worn me down and I'm sick of hearing it,Thompson and Holness have pushed me over the edge. If I hear the word EXPECTATIONS again I'll bloody scream. No expectations allowed at the start of a brand new season and we are trying to attract extra supporters, how sad is that?

No doubt tomorrow's cup game will be treated as a game to give fringe players a run out, expectations of drawing a big club in the next round and boosting the coffers will be stamped on, i think I'll stay at home instead.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 7:25]

Tip of the iceberg, TS.

Joey Thompson on 08:25 - Aug 8 with 2356 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 08:07 - Aug 8 by TVOS1907

Tip of the iceberg, TS.

Whatever it is, we have a good Chairman and board and a great set of Supporters so we will be ok, but something doesn't feel right to me. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid.
Joey Thompson on 09:08 - Aug 8 with 2275 viewsJimmyRustler

I think I remember him scoring a hat-trick once. Even that was shit.
Joey Thompson on 09:37 - Aug 8 with 2228 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 09:08 - Aug 8 by JimmyRustler

I think I remember him scoring a hat-trick once. Even that was shit.

I wouldn't go that far and don't want to get in to abuse. He wasn't good enough at the end of the day and we've progressed. The likes of Holness and Thompson have been released by Conference clubs or failed to impress so it's not surprising that Supporters are asking what's going on?

Hill said a couple of weeks ago he only wants to bring players in who will improve on what we already have but the like of theses two and RNL, contradict his own statement ( Holness picked up a injury so the signing didn't happen). It's nothing personal towards any of the individuals, footballing wise we have moved on and they've gone backwards.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 10:03]
Joey Thompson on 09:52 - Aug 8 with 2175 viewsKenBoon

I always liked Joey T, but his biggest problem was he never really had a position. He had a dabble everywhere but mastered none... so maybe Hilly will play him at left back! If the move also includes him moving into coaching then it could be a bold move. If he's just a squad player then I only see his impact being on the training pitches. Perhaps he's a good person to have in the dressing room? "At the end of the day" nobody here knows the contract details so nobody here knows how much of the budget he's taking.
Joey Thompson on 10:15 - Aug 8 with 2124 viewsJimmyRustler

Joey Thompson on 09:37 - Aug 8 by TalkingSutty

I wouldn't go that far and don't want to get in to abuse. He wasn't good enough at the end of the day and we've progressed. The likes of Holness and Thompson have been released by Conference clubs or failed to impress so it's not surprising that Supporters are asking what's going on?

Hill said a couple of weeks ago he only wants to bring players in who will improve on what we already have but the like of theses two and RNL, contradict his own statement ( Holness picked up a injury so the signing didn't happen). It's nothing personal towards any of the individuals, footballing wise we have moved on and they've gone backwards.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 10:03]

Nothing personal there. Just saying he even managed to score one of the worst hat-tricks I've ever seen! Apparently he's a lovely lad. Just a poo footballer who's been rejected by Barrow in the last few weeks...and now we've signed him. FFS.
Joey Thompson on 10:21 - Aug 8 with 2106 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 10:15 - Aug 8 by JimmyRustler

Nothing personal there. Just saying he even managed to score one of the worst hat-tricks I've ever seen! Apparently he's a lovely lad. Just a poo footballer who's been rejected by Barrow in the last few weeks...and now we've signed him. FFS.

You're very harsh James..... Begrudging the lad a bit of credit for his hat trick.

# victormeldrew
Joey Thompson on 10:24 - Aug 8 with 2097 viewsJimmyRustler

Joey Thompson on 10:21 - Aug 8 by TalkingSutty

You're very harsh James..... Begrudging the lad a bit of credit for his hat trick.

# victormeldrew

Left, Right and Head or it doesn't count :P
Joey Thompson on 10:24 - Aug 8 with 2106 viewsD_Alien

At this juncture, I'm trying to cast my mind back to the tipping point - the point where Keith Hill changed from being a happy individual with a brilliant talent for getting the best out of lower league footballers, to a restless control freak with a seeming determination to distance himself from the very people who've given him the opportunities to enjoy a good career in football.

In the light of the long-awaited moves forward in off-field infrastructure, Hill seems to have lost his nerve. Was he ok when it seemed the club would never be in a position to move forward, but now that noises are being made about championship football, he isn't? Did the Barnsley experience sear him?

If only he knew, that all he has to do is keep on doing what got him that opportunity in the first place - and that includes having a nice relaxed relationship with his employers and the fans - he'd be laughing. Nothing would count as failure, such has been his impact at the Dale. I now question what the status of his relationship with the board is, having openly put a dampener on the hard work they've been through to put the club in a position where it could potentially achieve championship football.

He's gone from the man who wasn't interested in our history to the one with history weighing him down. Somebody should give him a bloody big hug. Mid-life crises are nothing new, but they can be destructive.

Joey Thompson on 10:49 - Aug 8 with 2051 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 10:24 - Aug 8 by D_Alien

At this juncture, I'm trying to cast my mind back to the tipping point - the point where Keith Hill changed from being a happy individual with a brilliant talent for getting the best out of lower league footballers, to a restless control freak with a seeming determination to distance himself from the very people who've given him the opportunities to enjoy a good career in football.

In the light of the long-awaited moves forward in off-field infrastructure, Hill seems to have lost his nerve. Was he ok when it seemed the club would never be in a position to move forward, but now that noises are being made about championship football, he isn't? Did the Barnsley experience sear him?

If only he knew, that all he has to do is keep on doing what got him that opportunity in the first place - and that includes having a nice relaxed relationship with his employers and the fans - he'd be laughing. Nothing would count as failure, such has been his impact at the Dale. I now question what the status of his relationship with the board is, having openly put a dampener on the hard work they've been through to put the club in a position where it could potentially achieve championship football.

He's gone from the man who wasn't interested in our history to the one with history weighing him down. Somebody should give him a bloody big hug. Mid-life crises are nothing new, but they can be destructive.

Good post. The Chairman and Directors are dead right to mention Championship Football as the aim, the fact that the odds of us ever achieving that goal are pretty remote is immaterial. Fans need to be sold a dream, the young ones in particular, it's what makes them keep coming to the game and it helps to generate interest and sell tickets.

Dale fans aren't daft they are realists and none of us have any high hopes of moving up another league but at least let's keep striving to improve because only losers want to go backwards. Knocking people for having expectations is negative in the extreme, you don't do that on the eve of a new Season. What Hill says goes in one ear and out of the other anyway, he manages the Football Club not me and I wouldn't have any qualms in telling him so. All of those who paid to watch the game on Saturday contributed to the defeat because of their expectations... Who the hell does he think he is??
Joey Thompson on 11:32 - Aug 8 with 1941 viewsSaxonDale

Hill mentions in his interview that Rathbone, RNL, Lund and Vincenti are all injured, says Thompson was brought in for cover and it's a deal which makes sense.

'It is a positive signing and not one that will step us back in any shape or form, and he will get game time. He's in as good a condition mentally and physically as he has been for a long time (including pre-cancer.) He knows what we want on the training ground and what we want on the pitch. So it's a case of better the devil you know, not that I'm calling Joe Thompson the devil!'
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 11:44]
Joey Thompson on 11:38 - Aug 8 with 1929 viewsSIRKEITH

They don;t tell you this when they are advertising for season tickets.

Joe Thompson - WOW, I think he is worse that Joe Bunney

I have a very bad feeling about this season
Joey Thompson on 11:45 - Aug 8 with 1909 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 11:32 - Aug 8 by SaxonDale

Hill mentions in his interview that Rathbone, RNL, Lund and Vincenti are all injured, says Thompson was brought in for cover and it's a deal which makes sense.

'It is a positive signing and not one that will step us back in any shape or form, and he will get game time. He's in as good a condition mentally and physically as he has been for a long time (including pre-cancer.) He knows what we want on the training ground and what we want on the pitch. So it's a case of better the devil you know, not that I'm calling Joe Thompson the devil!'
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 11:44]

So those are all long term injuries? RNL was walking around the car park on Saturday and looked OK, not saying he wasn't injured but it can't be anything serious. RNL was always injured anyway one of the reasons why Hill was right to release him so nothing's changed there.

Just because it makes sense to the manager doesn't mean we have to agree with it. Let's see how many games he plays and judge him on those performances if that's the case.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024