Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ollie 09:58 - Mar 23 with 23558 viewsGloucs_R

Where are we all at now with him?

He's playing a number of younger players
We're not getting relegated this season
He's got his own scouting team in place now
Ramsey has been brought into the first team set up
We've switched to 4-2-3-1 which works better for us

Do we stick with him for another year?

I've always wanted him to do well but he's pushed my over the egde this season a few times. Mainly with the whole 5 at the back system..and I don't care if Dave Mc says Ollie never wanted to play this system..he did, he stuck by it and we were mainly poor.

As long as he has an experienced coach in the dug out with him, I'd stick for the time being.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Ollie on 11:38 - Mar 23 with 2497 viewskensalriser

Ollie on 11:07 - Mar 23 by Northernr

9 wins 5 draws at home - same as Derby who are fifth.

But Derby's home form isn't play-off standard either - they're 9th in the home table.

http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england2

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ollie on 11:43 - Mar 23 with 2488 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Like a lot of folks, I love the guy, but wasn’t sure.

There are times you think he’s got it right and this is it, and then there are times you think he’s as mad as a bag of frogs and we’re doomed. While you underestimate him at your peril, the times we go from good to bad seem to coincide with him tinkering and getting confused.

I still want him to do well. I acknowledge the issues he’s facing, and which anyone would face, but I really think next season could be difficult for us due to factors all beyond Ollie’s making and control. Accordingly that’s where I’m worried; if things go wrong, I wonder how he’ll cope.

The post-Forest response has been excellent. Well done to him and his posse for digging in and ensuring we didn’t get caught in the mess. I think on balance this turnaround has saved him and warrants him continuing.

I’d be happy once we’ve got a few more points to be certain, to then not worry about results and play the pups as much as possible until the end of the season. Give them game time now.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Ollie on 11:43 - Mar 23 with 2489 viewsLunarJetman

Can we afford to pay off yet another manager then?
Ollie on 11:59 - Mar 23 with 2451 viewsDavieQPR

Deserves another season, even getting used to the hat now,
but he must learn when to open and when to shut his mouth.
Ollie on 12:02 - Mar 23 with 2441 viewsDorse

The club has made a conscious decision over the past few seasons to look back into what made the club work in the first place.

QPR was a top flight club for many years, even though it bounced between the first and second tiers on a fairly regular basis. We managed to achieve this with:
- Small but dedicated fan base
- Far less money to spend on players than other London sides
- Local focus
- Scouting and developing younger players before moving them on and reinvesting the fees (examples include Bannister, Parker, Rosenior, Seaman, Peacock, Sinton, Ferdinand, Sinclair et al)

Football has changed over the intervening years, primarily because of money. However, clubs that have used the same template as the 'classic' QPR model (Huddersfield, Burnley, Brighton etc) have proven that it is still viable.

Bringing Ollie into the club for the second time smacked of a board trying to mollify an increasingly desperate fanbase but I never really subscribed to that view. When you look at what the club is trying to do, bringing a manager that has won promotions when operating under such strict financial constraints makes perfect sense.

The project isn't over. We have not made the transition from transfer market milk-fed gimps to canny footballing developers yet. Ollie is not everybody's cup of tea but I still think he is the perfect fit for QPR to attain their mid-term aims. He has shown flexibility in his approach, clearly motivates his players, can throw a curve ball that catches out other teams (his subs have been better than so many others), he isn't afraid to promote youth, doesn't take a lot of $hit from swazzy little nob-jockeys like JET, doesn't whine continually about needing 'one or two more' and he is clearly crackers about QPR.

U Rss.
Live long and fcuk Chelsea.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ollie on 12:19 - Mar 23 with 2413 viewskensalriser

Knob-jockeys not nob-jockeys.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ollie on 12:20 - Mar 23 with 2408 viewsMedwayR

We've progressed over the past year so yes he shout continue, although I certainly had reservations earlier in the season it was also at the back of my mind that 1) changing manager has rarely worked out well for us and 2) who'd want to join us.

Although inconsistent we're generally playing better football, certainly compared to JFH.
The signings & scouting has improved a lot and I wouldn't want to jeopardise that.
We're less likely to get relegated than we were a year ago.
We've moved on a lot of players that weren't good enough or were just wasters.
The squad size has reduced and wage bill reduced too.
We have a group of young players coming through who need continuity.

The future is looking brighter, no need to disrupt that at the moment.

Poll: Who’s better?

Ollie (n/t) on 12:22 - Mar 23 with 2407 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ollie on 11:14 - Mar 23 by WestbourneR

As you may have noticed I have big issues with Ollie - always have done - but he’s really turned the corner in the last few weeks. Most importantly the formation.

He’s best when he keeps it simple and works his motivational magic. That’s what’s he’s done of late.

I’ve also been really impressed with how he’s integrated youth team players into the team as well. Even better with the new formation there could be real opportunities for BOS, Shodipo and Wheeler to shine.

So yeah it does all depend - keep this up and we’ll have finished very very strongly and he’ll have earned the right to stay in charge. But he needs to show he can establish proper solid consistency now.

If he doesn’t I’d use the summer to bring someone new in.

[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 12:35]
Login to get fewer ads

Ollie on 12:51 - Mar 23 with 2339 viewsYorkRanger

I said at the start of the season that he should be given the whole season and I've maintained that position pretty much throughout, although I would be lying if I said there hasn't been moments of real doubt.

I think Clive's post sums up the achievements really well. There are loads of critic but nobody really knows the constraints he is under and if players like Ned and Robinson do leave in the summer then no doubt there will be an outcrying of emotion, but almost certainly it will be down to simple economics.

And if he did leave, who would we get? We aren't a big club, we have serious financial constraints to work with - almost certainly you will end up with someone who has failed elsewhere or potentially a lower league manager who will be unproven at this level and perhaps may be recruited on a wave of history/emotion - e.g. Ainsworth, Derry, Hill (and I have a lot of time for all those individuals),

So build on what we have and see what next season brings is my view.
Ollie on 13:02 - Mar 23 with 2321 viewsdaveB

one thing I am confused about is that although we have played well in the last 2 games none of the problems many were highlighting as reasons for Holloway to go have been addressed. We still lack width, last two games we've had inverted wingers so still relying on full backs to provide crosses into the box but results have papered over that problem.

I'd be interested to see peoples views in a months time when the novelty of switching from a back 3 has worn off
Ollie on 13:06 - Mar 23 with 2316 viewskropotkin41

Keep him. Keep him for years. Keep him until he's had enough. Of course he need good coaches around him, and of course there will be times when we go on losing runs. Most likely we're a Championship outfit for the foreseeable, maybe there'll be relegation and maybe promotion, maybe both....... none of that matters more than stability and getting both the club and the team on a sound footing. Ollie is the man because he loves the club. If you want Ollie replaced you need to ask yourself 2 questions first:
1. Who would you rather have?
2. Who would actually come?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Ollie on 13:09 - Mar 23 with 2312 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ollie on 11:12 - Mar 23 by terryb

To start with, I admit that I was opposed to appointing Ollie & I still think he was given the job for the wrong reasons. I also have many reservations on whether Ollie is the right man to take us forward in the long(ish) term.

However, what is beyond doubt, is that Ian Holloway has achieved every target that he was given. Therefore, he can't be dismissed as manager for failure & the club have a contract to honour.

It is also irrelevant as to whether supporters want him replaced. I can't imagine that the subject will be discussed at board level & neither should it be!

My only concern is that IF senior players are recruited in the summer, they will move above our youngsters in the pecking order. This would apply to whoever was in charge as there are few out there that trust in youth. Personally, I would be very happy to see the majority of Lumley, Furlong, Smyth, Manning, Eze & BOS playing regulary, with Oteh, Shodipo & Chair in contention. We would be inconsistent (what would be new there?), but at times we would be very exciting.

So, to summarise. Ian Holloway SHOULD (and will) be manager of Queens Park Rangers next season. I will have to learn to accept the quirks that he brings to that position!

Well, we don't know their reasons, but as I've said before, you could argue their reasoning was sound, if the reason was:
The next year or two, or three, are going to be painful. The supporters are going to be restless. We have no money, but we need stability. The fans will (as they have) give Ollie more leeway than they ever gave JFH or Ramsey or many other managers. If he can keep us up in that time, and we can sort the finances, then in two or three years we'll have a healthier club because of it.
If that was their reasoning, and not just 'the fans will love this', their reasoning at the very least had sound logic behind it.

Bare bones.

Ollie on 13:15 - Mar 23 with 2298 viewsYorkRanger

Ollie on 13:02 - Mar 23 by daveB

one thing I am confused about is that although we have played well in the last 2 games none of the problems many were highlighting as reasons for Holloway to go have been addressed. We still lack width, last two games we've had inverted wingers so still relying on full backs to provide crosses into the box but results have papered over that problem.

I'd be interested to see peoples views in a months time when the novelty of switching from a back 3 has worn off

Fair point Dave, although interestingly we actually had good width against Fulham in the second half and solidity at the back - how the width was provided becomes almost academic to me....
Ollie on 13:22 - Mar 23 with 2284 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ollie on 13:02 - Mar 23 by daveB

don't agree about the width. Just because Pav was on the 'wrong' wing, doesn;t mean he wasn't providing width - he absolutely was (while also cutting in too, if play was more on the other side). Then when Smyth came on, he also gave us width. We're far less narrow in these recent games than we have been - and we also have two players playing wide on each side, rather than one wing back.

Bare bones.

Ollie on 13:26 - Mar 23 with 2273 viewsdaveB

Ollie on 13:22 - Mar 23 by Antti_Heinola

don't agree about the width. Just because Pav was on the 'wrong' wing, doesn;t mean he wasn't providing width - he absolutely was (while also cutting in too, if play was more on the other side). Then when Smyth came on, he also gave us width. We're far less narrow in these recent games than we have been - and we also have two players playing wide on each side, rather than one wing back.

I thought Pawel was inside for most of the game, rarely on the outside putting crosses in , those were coming from Bidwell as usual. Those last 20 mins when we get getting the ball out wide it was Bidwell putting crosses in rather than the wingers. With Pawel on the left we had the usual left problem on the right in no one being out there and us looking lop sided at times especially in the first half. Smyth coming on did fix that though and is a good option for the coming weeks.

I'm not suggesting it didn't work well I just don't think it was hugely different to how we were playing with 3 at the back in terms of wide play
Ollie on 13:29 - Mar 23 with 2265 viewsdaveB

Ollie on 13:15 - Mar 23 by YorkRanger

Fair point Dave, although interestingly we actually had good width against Fulham in the second half and solidity at the back - how the width was provided becomes almost academic to me....

a big reason for more width was Manning coming inside to stop Cairney which allowed the full backs to play higher up the pitch rather than being on the back foot as we were in the first half.

I'm just not convinced that what many were asking for in playing wide players and getting more crosses into the box has changed at all so i wouldn't be surprised if we are back to many calling Holloway an idiot in a few weeks if results drop off
Ollie on 13:45 - Mar 23 with 2231 viewsYorkRanger

Ollie on 13:29 - Mar 23 by daveB

a big reason for more width was Manning coming inside to stop Cairney which allowed the full backs to play higher up the pitch rather than being on the back foot as we were in the first half.

I'm just not convinced that what many were asking for in playing wide players and getting more crosses into the box has changed at all so i wouldn't be surprised if we are back to many calling Holloway an idiot in a few weeks if results drop off

As I say Dave the question of how/who provided the width isn't important to me.

I do agree that if results fall away the Ollie out brigade will be in full voice again...
Ollie on 13:53 - Mar 23 with 2214 viewsheadhoops

Six or seven games ago I was firmly in the frustrated camp predominately over his refusal to switch from the wing back formation which even Mr Magoo could see wasn't working. However, it has happened the move to a back four has certainly worked and its great to see the youngsters playing so well. On that subject the players do actually look like they want to play for him.

I'm not certain how much Bircham brings to the party but overall the team behind IH has also improved dramatically, Hoos, Evil Les, Penrice etc are slowly taking us back to the Rangers that most of us fell in love with.

Stop IH tinkering and if he continues with the formation and kids then he deserves another season. If we can unload more wages etc in the summer and add a striker without breaching FFP I think next season could be quite exciting.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Ollie on 14:01 - Mar 23 with 2199 viewsTheChef

I'll let you know after our traditional six game losing streak, after the international break.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ollie on 14:16 - Mar 23 with 2181 viewsNorthernr

Ollie on 11:59 - Mar 23 by DavieQPR

Deserves another season, even getting used to the hat now,
but he must learn when to open and when to shut his mouth.

Certainly agree with that second bit. Turned the Brentford positive into a negative, wasn't far off doing the same post Fulham. And all that "we'll tear into them next time" stuff after defeats is pretty embarrassing.
Ollie on 14:17 - Mar 23 with 2178 viewsNorthernr

Ollie on 13:45 - Mar 23 by YorkRanger

As I say Dave the question of how/who provided the width isn't important to me.

I do agree that if results fall away the Ollie out brigade will be in full voice again...

Well if they fall away in the same way they did a year ago then so they should be. Big couple of weeks coming up, even though league table wise it doesn't matter much.
Ollie on 14:18 - Mar 23 with 2173 viewssimmo

Ollie on 13:26 - Mar 23 by daveB

I thought Pawel was inside for most of the game, rarely on the outside putting crosses in , those were coming from Bidwell as usual. Those last 20 mins when we get getting the ball out wide it was Bidwell putting crosses in rather than the wingers. With Pawel on the left we had the usual left problem on the right in no one being out there and us looking lop sided at times especially in the first half. Smyth coming on did fix that though and is a good option for the coming weeks.

I'm not suggesting it didn't work well I just don't think it was hugely different to how we were playing with 3 at the back in terms of wide play

Yes a lot of the width still comes from full backs, but that's because modern full backs are supposed to contribute to both defending and attacking, which both of ours are currently capable of as part of a full backs remit. Also if you've got Wzsolek coming inside and Bidwell in a wide position that usually means that Pawel has taken his man with him which gives space to Bidwell to concentrate on putting in a good ball for a better populated area (better populated as Wzsolek is now supporting the attack), rather than giving it to Bidwell and asking him to take on a man to create his own space to try and cross. See the difference? One is a wide remit a full back is used to, the other is asking a full back to be a winger.

Defensively we're also a thousand times better, not least because when we were losing a ball in a 3 there was acres of space either side of our centre backs for teams to exploit, which they did. Fredericks and Sessegnon would have absolutely decimated us on Saturday under the old formation, just like Forest did. We also had Wzsolek supporting Bidwell and doubling up on Fredericks on Saturday, which wasn't possible in the old formation.

So it's hugely different in wide areas and almost excllusively for the better.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Ollie on 14:19 - Mar 23 with 2173 viewsNorthernr

Ollie on 11:14 - Mar 23 by WestbourneR

As you may have noticed I have big issues with Ollie - always have done - but he’s really turned the corner in the last few weeks. Most importantly the formation.

He’s best when he keeps it simple and works his motivational magic. That’s what’s he’s done of late.

I’ve also been really impressed with how he’s integrated youth team players into the team as well. Even better with the new formation there could be real opportunities for BOS, Shodipo and Wheeler to shine.

So yeah it does all depend - keep this up and we’ll have finished very very strongly and he’ll have earned the right to stay in charge. But he needs to show he can establish proper solid consistency now.

If he doesn’t I’d use the summer to bring someone new in.

As we know the 'Holloway cycle' goes - back to basics > upturn in results > gets confident and tries to be too clever > long losing run > back to basics.

Let's see if it happens again.
Ollie on 14:27 - Mar 23 with 2147 viewsPinnerPaul

Ollie on 13:29 - Mar 23 by daveB

Like you I have never been convinced that 4 at the back solves all our problems - we DID have some good results and performances playing with 3 - however, ignoring the width issue - quite a few players look much more comfortable and are playing much better in the new system - All the defenders look so much better - with Furlong and Bidwell in particular improving a lot in the new system.
Ollie on 14:35 - Mar 23 with 2126 viewsvegasranger

We can't give him a new contract if we are to make progress. His plan for Fulham on Saturday didn't go well, having Manning and Pavel sitting deep in front of our full backs didn't work. He did change it and he deserved credit for that. Sticking with the 3-5-2 when it wasn't working. Slagging of the fans for leaving early. Finding a way to play the dreadful Washington.I don't want us going for the normal re-tread managers. Our thought process is so plodding. Let's look abroad and find someone fresh.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024