Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome 19:17 - Jul 23 with 29407 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/52685

This post has been edited by an administrator
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:18 - Jul 25 with 1886 viewsNorthernr

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 16:33 - Jul 25 by karl

Agree with that. His quality of writing has quite rightly been praised but the fact its been done recently in such circumstances is commendable.
I have actually detected a softer side to his character recently, hopefully all this praise knocks that out of him and grumpy Clive is back in full swing😂

Well I'm calmer and more relaxed for being at home all the time. I also had a bit of a moment on that bloody Corona thread a couple of months back where I realised I was being a complete dick, and why does anybody want to post on a message board run by somebody who's behaving like that?

This thread is completely overwhelming and very humbling. I'm amazed. Thank you everybody.

(Shut up Jeff)

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:27 - Jul 25 with 1854 viewskarl

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:18 - Jul 25 by Northernr

Well I'm calmer and more relaxed for being at home all the time. I also had a bit of a moment on that bloody Corona thread a couple of months back where I realised I was being a complete dick, and why does anybody want to post on a message board run by somebody who's behaving like that?

This thread is completely overwhelming and very humbling. I'm amazed. Thank you everybody.

(Shut up Jeff)

Good to hear.
I too stopped going on the Corona thread as I started disliking other posters for no good reason, haven't read it for a long time although it started out as a great resource.
Scottish football kicks off on August 1st so you'll either have a great source of comedy writing or will bring back the rage, all the best Clive!
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:32 - Jul 25 with 1844 viewsfrancisbowles

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:27 - Jul 25 by karl

Good to hear.
I too stopped going on the Corona thread as I started disliking other posters for no good reason, haven't read it for a long time although it started out as a great resource.
Scottish football kicks off on August 1st so you'll either have a great source of comedy writing or will bring back the rage, all the best Clive!

Think we need a benchmark i.e. suggested donation. Then those that are comfortable with it can pay it, others can pay less or even more depending on their disposable income. This would give you some idea of what to expect each month and allow you to budget accordingly.

Secondly, there used to be a QPR fantasy football on one site a few years back if anyone on here has a clue how to start and run that, it could be open to patreons only.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 17:32]
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:54 - Jul 25 with 1818 viewsenfieldargh

have tweeked it already?

New emblem and no ads!!!!

Did you pull the plug already

The old military junta is deposed, long live the oppressed Clive Whittingham

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 18:13 - Jul 25 with 1783 viewskropotkin41

Truthfully speaking, without Loft for Words I'd have drifted even further away from football and indeed QPR than I have over the last few years. As for the match reports, the standard of writing on this site is so good, there's just nowhere like it for football coverage, let alone coverage of the Rs.

I pay for often absent commentary on the official site and I'd much rather turn that few quid a month over to NorthernR tbh.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 18:41 - Jul 25 with 1737 views2Thomas2Bowles

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:16 - Jul 25 by Lblock

You could sell LFW embossed plastic mattress sheets..... they’d fly out the door from about February onwards as us bed wetters calculate just how close to relegation we are

No idea how many active members you have here but there’s surely enough for a decent multiplier to make it worthwhile???
Good luck

Incontinent pants?

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 18:45 - Jul 25 with 1736 viewsTripleR

I'd be happy to chip in, for many years, every Saturday morning during the season reading the match preview is something I really look forward to.
The post match reports are the only ones I bother with.
Top quality writing, with many "laugh out loud" moments. Long may it continue.
WBA match report was one of the best, ever.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 19:31 - Jul 25 with 1698 viewsrobith

Clive I think your proposed model is sound.

I listen to a rugby podcast called Blood and Mud who have a similar model. The podcast, their main output, is FOC with ads.They then a pateron where you can listen to it ad free, and get special editions like their history of rugby by country with a university professor (they're excellent btw). They then have a banter extra level that gets you nothing but a comedic shout out on the podcast. Yours fits within that and they still have a thriving community cos at the base level there's no barrier to essential access.

as someone who works in the advertising industry too, Google are going to ban 3rd party cookies by 2022 which will transform the internet. Advertisers won't really be able to "follow" people round the internet any more, so sites won't be packaged up and sol cheaply (basically algorithms target people who've been to premium sites to reach them on sites that cost less as it's all done on auto bidding). That means contextual relevance is going to come back in a big way (ie to reach football fans you need to be on football sites).

FYI I'd subscribe. Where else am I going to post all those graphs?
Login to get fewer ads

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 19:34 - Jul 25 with 1696 viewsJeff

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:18 - Jul 25 by Northernr

(Shut up Jeff)

just quietly (and smugly...) drinking this thread all in.

Knew i was right, but it's still so good to see the depth of appreciation people have for you...

Can we not knock it?

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 19:41 - Jul 25 with 1681 viewsCLAREMAN1995

(Shut up Jeff)

The Corona thread started off as a bit of a laugh but suddenly everybody realized how devastating it could be and once those fears came through it just got a bit ugly .I completely understand the overwhelming nature of it and tried to remain positive but it was too much for most of us to wrap our head around .Its still running daily and over here in the US no end in sight sadly.
I want to add my voice to all those other posters who highly recommend contributing a monthly fee to keep this outstanding site going.Clives writing is top class regardless of the miserable displays and even more enjoyable when we actually win plus all the previews ,and my personal favorite bad ref review rquire a lot of work .Its as close to a group chat we QPR fans around the world have and without question practically all the posters are nice people and very helpful too.
Lets get this new system going while the going is good as my grandfather used to say RIP
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 19:48 - Jul 25 with 1678 viewsaston_hoop

Can't add much that hasn't been said already other than to say that as another expat who is certainly not surrounded by fellow Rs in my daily life, this place is the biggest link for me back to the QPR family and I'd not hesitate to contribute money monthly. I send articles occasionally to non-QPR fans who always mention the quality of the articles are incredible at any level, let alone a free fans website.

But mostly, this and the podcast are massive things for those of us not going to many games. We can feel a part of it again

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 21:11 - Jul 25 with 1590 viewsGloryHunter

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:32 - Jul 25 by francisbowles

Think we need a benchmark i.e. suggested donation. Then those that are comfortable with it can pay it, others can pay less or even more depending on their disposable income. This would give you some idea of what to expect each month and allow you to budget accordingly.

Secondly, there used to be a QPR fantasy football on one site a few years back if anyone on here has a clue how to start and run that, it could be open to patreons only.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 17:32]

Agree we need a benchmark figure for how big contributions would need to be to keep the site going, and Clive in Peronis and Travelodges. How many contributors at £10 per month? How many at £5pm? How many at £2pm?

Gofundme etc take a percentage off the contibutions, not sure about Pantheon or whatever it it - never heard of it. But I would have thought it would be better for us to pay monthly by standing order, so 100% of the contribution goes to the site, with no "agent's fees" being raked off it.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 21:30 - Jul 25 with 1570 viewskarl

I'm going to post a Scottish £20 note, complete with moth holes. I want to hear of Clives increasing blood pressure as he's turned away from the 5th off license for trying to push fake money for his Doritos and Peroni
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 22:33 - Jul 25 with 1515 viewsWrightUp5hit___

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 21:30 - Jul 25 by karl

I'm going to post a Scottish £20 note, complete with moth holes. I want to hear of Clives increasing blood pressure as he's turned away from the 5th off license for trying to push fake money for his Doritos and Peroni

I've still got some of those Bank Of Flavio banknotes tucked away
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 22:34 - Jul 25 with 1513 viewsdannyblue

I’m late to this, but I also want to add:
I love Clive’s writing, and feel very privileged to have it.
I must read previews / reports well over 50 times a season.
I read the forum most days.
I’d feel I was getting a very good deal paying £1 per week or £5 per month to contribute.
I’d be happy to back pay for years I’ve enjoyed previously.
I don’t need any additional content as I only just about keep up with what there is.
Thank you again for the site.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 23:05 - Jul 25 with 1494 viewssevenhoop

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:29 - Jul 24 by Stanisgod

I'd pay just for the match reports

Me too, always incisive and so bloody funny!
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 23:20 - Jul 25 with 1470 viewsqueensparker

I'll happily pay a monthly subscription to keep this site running exactly as it is - I don't think an extra podcast or anything else is needed. You must spend enough time as it is keeping this place going on top of a regular job, don't think you should give yourself even more work!

I'm in the digital media game and there's simply no money in online publishing unless you're massive, the ad revenue from LFW, impressive traffic though it must get, will be peanuts. We're all going to have to pay directly for websites / apps / whatever we like reading online going forward or they'll just disappear.

Clive you're doing a cracking job, one of the best writers out there. As someone else has said I've started sending round your reports to my mates from other clubs, we're lucky to have you
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 0:13]
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 23:32 - Jul 25 with 1451 viewsqueensparker

Random money raising idea - syndicate the Frankie Thread to Mixmag or someone like that for megabucks. It's basically the history of dance music at this point
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 08:07 - Jul 26 with 1345 viewsWesley2Hoops

First off, Clive, I think it's safe to say that you'd be pretty freaked out if you realised just how much your writing means to a lot of us. I don't know exactly what I'd do if you jacked it in, but I'm pretty sure there'd be a pitchfork involved.

Just to lob in my two cents, my question would be do you actually want to be a full-time football journalist? Only if you do, I'd say you really are good enough to think a little bigger than the ideas here, which all limit you to the QPR fan base. My suggestion would be just do the previews and match reports for us QPR fans, and then set up another site where you write about other football stuff (perhaps with a bit of a championship lean), where half of the content is behind a paywall (like the Independent website). All of us Loftforwords folks would obviously sign up as a thank you, but I think there's probably a pretty big market for longer, funny, down to earth but well-informed, football related content. I certainly often share your stuff with mates who support other teams when we play them and they love it, but they're unlikely to come back to read about our game with Barnsley the week after.

Just a thought. Get in touch if you're at all interested 'cause I'm looking for something to invest a bit of energy into (lockdown soul searching and all that).
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 09:15 - Jul 26 with 1295 viewsQPR_Jim

Didn't read this until late last night, great report as usual.

Thought I'd just say that I too am happy to contribute a monthly subscription for no extra content in case you're counting. Liked the idea of audio of the interviews as it sounds less demanding but I wouldn't commit to a certain number a year tbh in case people let you down or you struggle to find good interviewees.

At the start you said that you didn't want charity and I can understand that but I think contributions would be a fair return for your time spent. I'm sure that we all have a subscription for something that we get less value out of (looking at you Amazon prime), so I'm happy to contribute whatever you decide.

I always enjoy reading the reports and previews and it helps me to keep up with QPR since I've not been able to go as much. I also like that the content is open to anyone so I am able to share them with friends when we play their team
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 09:15 - Jul 26 with 1294 viewsdannyblue

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 08:07 - Jul 26 by Wesley2Hoops

First off, Clive, I think it's safe to say that you'd be pretty freaked out if you realised just how much your writing means to a lot of us. I don't know exactly what I'd do if you jacked it in, but I'm pretty sure there'd be a pitchfork involved.

Just to lob in my two cents, my question would be do you actually want to be a full-time football journalist? Only if you do, I'd say you really are good enough to think a little bigger than the ideas here, which all limit you to the QPR fan base. My suggestion would be just do the previews and match reports for us QPR fans, and then set up another site where you write about other football stuff (perhaps with a bit of a championship lean), where half of the content is behind a paywall (like the Independent website). All of us Loftforwords folks would obviously sign up as a thank you, but I think there's probably a pretty big market for longer, funny, down to earth but well-informed, football related content. I certainly often share your stuff with mates who support other teams when we play them and they love it, but they're unlikely to come back to read about our game with Barnsley the week after.

Just a thought. Get in touch if you're at all interested 'cause I'm looking for something to invest a bit of energy into (lockdown soul searching and all that).

I like this idea. I’ve long thought there was an opening for something concentrating on the championship. One place to go for championship transfers, gossip, tactical analysis, match reports etc. Massive audience but it just doesn’t get the dedicated resource...
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 11:02 - Jul 26 with 1226 viewsisawqpratwcity

I'm in.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 11:28 - Jul 26 with 1208 viewsWatfordR

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:34 - Jul 24 by PerthRs

Clive love the work you do and the massive effort shown in getting to matches up and down the country trust me I know what it cost traveling to see the Rs each season and we only get to see 4 to 6 games a season with our flights and hotels etc we spend approx £30k a year, but we do it as we love this club the same reason you do it, Clive pm me with your bank details and I’ll pay you £120 now and direct debit £10 a month for as long as you want run the forum.
Can’t imagine LFW without you, quality site

Clive, more than happy to support you in whatever way you want to organise, but I'd happily match Perth's offer. Send me details as and when.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:19 - Jul 26 with 1115 viewshook_hoops

I've just been reading through this entire thread and there are so many posters whose names I've not seen before. It just goes to show how widespread the love for QPR is all over the world and this site is the glue that holds us all together. I can't contemplate how miserable it would be if this site disappeared for whatever reason, and your previews and reports, Clive, are priceless. I will happily contribute to help cover the costs.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:17 - Jul 26 with 1052 viewsonlyrinmoray

Count me in Clive. as a long distance R I really appreciate this site. As already said lots of times, many people appreciate all the work you do The standard of writing and knowledge of football is far above many other forums. How you remember QPR goals and incidents always amazes me I would be willing to contribute monthly .
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024