Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield 20:50 - Nov 4 with 26273 viewsD_Dale

At half-time in tonight's replay that will decide Dale's FA Cup opponents, Stockport lead 2-0. A pity in a way as Dale would probably have stood a better chance of beating Chesterfield. Still, whichever side it is, the winners will face a big challenge to prepare for Saturday.
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 21:57 - Nov 5 with 2977 viewsTVOS1907

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 08:02 - Nov 5 by nordenblue

I spoke to one last night who by his own admission "everyone's expecting us to win the league anyway" and deserve to with crowds of 6k in none league!!
And many "cheats never prosper" comments on their own news feed regarding Chesterfield, they are all very "bury"ish

From a Stockport messageboard:

"I thought the 1st game of the season was the one game I'd really miss going to, and then I thought Chesterfield away in the league was the game I was really gutted at missing... but it's naff all on not being able to attend Dale away in the 1st round of the cup this Saturday.
The town would be buzzing tonight with the scramble for tickets and we'd easily be selling our allocation with many more in the home sections. It'd be a proper local away day, and being underdogs(on paper) then we'd really be up for it.
Hope the team play like they did tonight because I think we will cause them problems."

So they think they would have sold out the away stand and then been in the home ends.

Right!

Read here for more classics: https://theyellowboard.boards.net/thread/4338/rochdale-fa-cup-match-thread
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 21:58]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 22:23 - Nov 5 with 2921 viewsnordenblue

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 21:57 - Nov 5 by TVOS1907

"I thought the 1st game of the season was the one game I'd really miss going to, and then I thought Chesterfield away in the league was the game I was really gutted at missing... but it's naff all on not being able to attend Dale away in the 1st round of the cup this Saturday.
The town would be buzzing tonight with the scramble for tickets and we'd easily be selling our allocation with many more in the home sections. It'd be a proper local away day, and being underdogs(on paper) then we'd really be up for it.
Hope the team play like they did tonight because I think we will cause them problems."

So they think they would have sold out the away stand and then been in the home ends.

Right!

Read here for more classics: https://theyellowboard.boards.net/thread/4338/rochdale-fa-cup-match-thread

"I’d still rather be us than them though. At least that tit Hill isn’t there any more."

Brilliant.....must admit the envy with not having the opportunity to play Eastleigh,Bromley and
Wealdstone in the league is pretty big.
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 00:16 - Nov 6 with 2815 viewsShun

Some classics on that thread, what strange people they are! I did laugh at the ‘I’d still rather be us than them’ line. Surely, no one can say that with a straight face? Really?

I’d also like to know why they think we’re bitter towards them. They’ve been a non-league non-entity for the past 15 or so years, fading from everyone’s memories and attention. I was genuinely surprised to see last week that they’re actually only one level below the FL, I thought they were still playing farmers and pub landlords.
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 09:16 - Nov 6 with 2671 viewsHopwoodblue

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 00:16 - Nov 6 by Shun

Some classics on that thread, what strange people they are! I did laugh at the ‘I’d still rather be us than them’ line. Surely, no one can say that with a straight face? Really?

I’d also like to know why they think we’re bitter towards them. They’ve been a non-league non-entity for the past 15 or so years, fading from everyone’s memories and attention. I was genuinely surprised to see last week that they’re actually only one level below the FL, I thought they were still playing farmers and pub landlords.

They are in the growing band of clubs who think spending money you haven’t got for a pop at glory followed by years of obscurity is the way forward. I see our now defunct neighbours get a mention as they are in the same category!
It’s like losing a twenty pound note and finding a one pound coin and convincing your self you are better off.
If we started moaning about clubs in general then fair enough that would be bitter and twisted but
if they read our forum correctly they would see there is a common theme.
We basically don’t like clubs who try and cheat their way to success!
There’s only ever one outcome as all these clubs are beginning to find out !

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 10:12 - Nov 6 with 2611 viewskel

Do they still think City are their rivals or have they actually realised that the likes of Altrincham are more their tinpot level?
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 11:04 - Nov 6 with 2535 viewsdawlishdale

Always liked our games with Stockport...proper rivals like Halifax were.

Stockport fans have been up themselves for ages...probably as far back as when they pinched Danny Bergara and all our best players, which launched them up the leagues at our expense...Many of those on their awful messageboard probably don't even know how they nearly put us out of business back then.

In fairness; they have maintained a superb fan base given how rubbish they've been for ages. I'd love to see them back in the league at the expense of a Salford or Crawley.
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 11:37 - Nov 6 with 2499 viewsfitzochris

I remember playing them in the AWS back in the 90s.

They were in the division above us at the time. I remember being in the Wilbutts for that game, when it was still a terrace, and chatting to Shaun Reid pre-match while he was on the pitch warming up. There was a bit of a Billy Big Bollox attitude from some of their players. Reid turned to me and said: 'We'll beat these tonight." I looked at him as sceptically as any teenager would. But he was right. We did beat them.

Sticks in my mind that game, for some reason.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 11:46 - Nov 6 with 2478 viewsAncoats_Blue

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 11:04 - Nov 6 by dawlishdale

Stockport fans have been up themselves for ages...probably as far back as when they pinched Danny Bergara and all our best players, which launched them up the leagues at our expense...Many of those on their awful messageboard probably don't even know how they nearly put us out of business back then.

In fairness; they have maintained a superb fan base given how rubbish they've been for ages. I'd love to see them back in the league at the expense of a Salford or Crawley.

At the time of the Play Off defeat, being much younger, I had a massive dislike for County. Probably could describe it as a hatred. Set in from a fookin dismal tube journey of having the piss taken out of me by pissed up County fans. Took a lot of enjoyment from the scahdenfreude of seeing them fall into NL. But I’ve mellowed. I mean, we would hardly have been gracious in victory would we? I know I wouldn’t have been ;). We would’ve been rubbing it in as well. I suppose it helps living here for a bit and working here for the best part of a decade. As with you, I’d rather be playing them in the league than some bankrolled non entity. (Though I’d hope that’s because they’ve caught us up rather than us sinking to their level or meeting in the middle!!) I also much prefer talking to their fans than I would someone who armchair supports a premier league side who doesn’t really have any knowledge of the game.

One thing I admire of County is their resilience as a fan base. I’m not old enough to have been there but from what I gather speaking to fans of both of us the 2 clubs pre the late 80s were fairly similar. Low crowds of ~2k and low ambitions. Avoid re-election. Attempt the odd push to go up to div 3. Lose best players. Repeat. Both fairly tinpot. That they’ve largely maintained a healthy fan base from successes of 20 years ago is impressive considering how far they fell.

Such a shame the game is behind closed doors. Im missing a proper derby match. Accrington games just don’t really have the same level of excitement for me as a game v Bury or Oldham. Tomorrow’s game would’ve been a highlight of the season.
Login to get fewer ads

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 14:26 - Nov 6 with 2361 views442Dale

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 11:37 - Nov 6 by fitzochris

I remember playing them in the AWS back in the 90s.

They were in the division above us at the time. I remember being in the Wilbutts for that game, when it was still a terrace, and chatting to Shaun Reid pre-match while he was on the pitch warming up. There was a bit of a Billy Big Bollox attitude from some of their players. Reid turned to me and said: 'We'll beat these tonight." I looked at him as sceptically as any teenager would. But he was right. We did beat them.

Sticks in my mind that game, for some reason.

Freezing January night 1995 under Docherty. The pitch was rock hard and there’s an argument it should have been postponed though we played really well against a side who had a good record in the competition at the time. It was the year we faced Carlisle in the Northern Final.

It was also one of the first games after we’d swapped from wearing white shirts at home back to blue mid-season.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 15:19 - Nov 6 with 2314 viewsfitzochris

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 14:26 - Nov 6 by 442Dale

Freezing January night 1995 under Docherty. The pitch was rock hard and there’s an argument it should have been postponed though we played really well against a side who had a good record in the competition at the time. It was the year we faced Carlisle in the Northern Final.

It was also one of the first games after we’d swapped from wearing white shirts at home back to blue mid-season.

Ah yes, the white Carcraft kit.

I think we beat Bury in the next round and I was gutted because I wasn't allowed to travel to Carlisle for the first leg of the Area Final because it was a school night. I listened at home to GMR (in the good old days before it became Radio Bolton) and cringed in horror as I heard us crumble to a 4-1 defeat into a howling gale.

The home leg 2-1 victory was one of the finest performances of a Dale team I can remember seeing, as that was a very good Carlisle side. Sadly, it wasn't enough to go through to the national final.

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 15:34 - Nov 6 with 2289 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 15:19 - Nov 6 by fitzochris

I think we beat Bury in the next round and I was gutted because I wasn't allowed to travel to Carlisle for the first leg of the Area Final because it was a school night. I listened at home to GMR (in the good old days before it became Radio Bolton) and cringed in horror as I heard us crumble to a 4-1 defeat into a howling gale.

The home leg 2-1 victory was one of the finest performances of a Dale team I can remember seeing, as that was a very good Carlisle side. Sadly, it wasn't enough to go through to the national final.

You dodged a bullet there Fitzo. Thackeray won the toss & decided to kick into a gale force wind, queue 2 30 yard screamers from Carlisle & Dale with a mountain to climb (think we were 3-0 down at HT).
Wind dropped at HT but continued to pour down. Open end too, probably the worst conditions I’ve ever watched a game in...
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 15:36 - Nov 6 with 2281 viewsfitzochris

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 15:34 - Nov 6 by Plattyswrinklynuts

You dodged a bullet there Fitzo. Thackeray won the toss & decided to kick into a gale force wind, queue 2 30 yard screamers from Carlisle & Dale with a mountain to climb (think we were 3-0 down at HT).
Wind dropped at HT but continued to pour down. Open end too, probably the worst conditions I’ve ever watched a game in...

Hah. Yes, one of the few games I'm glad I couldn't attend after the fact.

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 15:44 - Nov 6 with 2259 viewsTVOS1907

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 15:19 - Nov 6 by fitzochris

I might have the bury game on my PC at home.

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 16:01 - Nov 6 with 2237 viewsfitzochris

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 15:44 - Nov 6 by TVOS1907

"A deflection and a scabby goal at the near post".

Charming. Haha. No credit to our performance whatsoever.

David Reeves there as well - an excellent player at that level (but not as good as his brother :)

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 16:03 - Nov 6 with 2227 viewsAtThePeake

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 15:44 - Nov 6 by TVOS1907

They voted that mis-hit cross goal of the season?

Tangled up in blue.

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 18:02 - Nov 6 with 2091 viewsD_Dale

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 11:04 - Nov 6 by dawlishdale

Maybe County pinched one or two Dale players, but a few seasons later they more than compensated by allowing the signings, for free or modest sums, of Rickie Lambert, Glenn Murray and Adam Le Fondre ...
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 18:56 - Nov 6 with 2014 viewsSandyman

BBC still listing Dale V Chesterfield postponed, no sign of Dale v Stockport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scores-fixtures/2020-11-07
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 21:03 - Nov 6 with 1931 viewsTVOS1907

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 16:01 - Nov 6 by fitzochris

"A deflection and a scabby goal at the near post".

Charming. Haha. No credit to our performance whatsoever.

David Reeves there as well - an excellent player at that level (but not as good as his brother :)

Knew I had it:

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 21:15 - Nov 6 with 1907 viewsseasidedale

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 18:02 - Nov 6 by D_Dale

Maybe County pinched one or two Dale players, but a few seasons later they more than compensated by allowing the signings, for free or modest sums, of Rickie Lambert, Glenn Murray and Adam Le Fondre ...

Glen Murray signed from Carlisle
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 21:44 - Nov 6 with 1869 viewsTVOS1907

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 21:15 - Nov 6 by seasidedale

Glen Murray signed from Carlisle

That's correct; he had been on loan at Stockport.

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 22:37 - Nov 6 with 1810 viewsnordenblue

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 15:34 - Nov 6 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Possibly the wettest ive ever been that night travelling back home, and fairly sure the heating was knackered on the coach too so hardly ideal,
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 22:56 - Nov 6 with 1780 viewsTVOS1907

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 21:57 - Nov 5 by TVOS1907

Right!

This is a great post off the Stockport board:

"I think they're ridiculous to be honest.

Probably run quite well financially.

But even they won't exist 100% purely on what money they bring in.

Not where they are with the crowds they have.

There will be board members covering the odd payment.

May only be 5k here or 10k there, but that's what they'll be doing.

So their smugness over it is deeply hypocritical.

Beyond that I find the way they and Crewe took such delight in our relegation out of the League and demise unedifying and forgetful of their own histories.

Burnley, Stoke, City, etc...have never been in that falling out of the League situation (barring that one season for Burnley), so I kind of expect them not to get it, not to understand what it means, to be dickheads about it.

But Rochdale and Crewe, they've both spent more time in the 4th tier than us, applied for re-election more than us, finished bottom of the League more than us.

In fact of those teams who have applied for re-election but never actually ended up outside the League, Crewe and Rochdale have by far the worst record of having to apply - all the other big suspects ended out someway or other, us, Hartlepool, Darlington, Torquay, etc..

You'd think maybe they'd remember those desperate begging bowl days before mocking and/or accusing.

Of all the clubs above us in the pyramid, nonentities like Crawley, Morecambe, Salford, etc..nothing will give me as much pleasure as giving Rochdale and Crewe a good thumping, passing them on our way up, and ending up a division or two above them again - NOTHING.

They are both becoming extremely disliked by me - and that's without taking the Crewe, Bennell situation into consideration as well."

Now without doing a survey of the demographic of our board, a lot of posters (and a lot of Dale fans in general) won't have a clue what re-election was, seeing as it finished in 1986!

So, I'm not sure how 'they' are supposed to remember something they won't have experienced as Dale fans.

There's an awful lot of mis-information and point-missing on that thread, but it's OK, they get bigger crowds than us and will soon be passing us on their way up.

Have bury fans moved to another club?

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 23:26 - Nov 6 with 1745 viewsSandyman

Dear oh dear. Perhaps they ought to look back at their failed re-election attempt many moons ago when they weren't re-elected and kicked out of the league? ?

I got to know quite a few Stockport fans around the time of the Wembley game. General banter and mickey taking apart, those in the know were genuinely concerned that the trust-run club was overstretching itself. (bury anyone?) They were the decent fans. The club was refusing good offers for the like of Hamshaw and Dickinson and gambling that promotion would pay the bills that were stacking up. We know how that ended up. They do seem to have a higher than average number of fans with delusions of grandeur,(bury anyone?) but we just stood back and waved bye-bye when they were desperate enough to give Paul Simpson the managerial job and the inevitable financial collapse and descent to lower leagues we have never ever known took place. They know their place, they struggle to cope with it. We've been league 1 for the past seven seasons when they have been nowhere. The reasonable fans will accept that with a shrug. The deluded will froth at the mouth. And there are reasonable fans at Stockport.

Edit:
Just to correct the Stockport numpty:

They were never voted out of the old division 4 as they survived 5 elections as did several other clubs. We survived 6 as did several other clubs.
Crewe survived 7, Hartlepool survived 11.
Only 4 clubs ever lost their Division 4 place through failed re-elections. The others lost their places post-1986 through being not good enough, re-written as "someway or other" above. Stockport being one of them. An ignominy we have never suffered that they have and have never come back.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2020 2:07]
Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 08:00 - Nov 7 with 1571 viewsmikehunt

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 18:02 - Nov 6 by D_Dale

And then Keef systematically, mopped up practically the whole of the County Wembley squad after Stockport's demise. (that's how it felt anyway).

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 08:25 - Nov 7 with 1548 viewsfitzochris

Stockport C. vs Chesterfield on 08:00 - Nov 7 by mikehunt

And then Keef systematically, mopped up practically the whole of the County Wembley squad after Stockport's demise. (that's how it felt anyway).

And he had a poke about Darlington’s corpse too :)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024