Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', 14:53 - Dec 29 with 11951 viewsSandyman

says Rochdale club doctor"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55475640
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 18:19 - Dec 29 with 2374 viewsTVOS1907

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 18:11 - Dec 29 by isitme

Your students are lucky in that they will have high quality online learning, many will not. How many pupils will get a good old MyMaths, Dr Frost etc but with no help if they do not understand it?

Williamson and the DFE are useless. Things will change again tomorrow and probably again next week! It is so frustrating because you just cannot plan and in many subjects teach what you want to so again the most needy lose out as the lessons have to be a bit drier.

Good point about online learning and MyMaths & Dr Frost.

My wifi went down for a few hours last night. If that happens if/when we're all at home, then I'm snookered as regards giving help.

Another thing they haven't considered is what happens in households where there is only one device, yet more than one child who needs it any one time. Unless they're planning to supply laptops for families in this position. Oh.....
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 18:33]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 18:25 - Dec 29 with 2355 viewsD_Alien

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 18:13 - Dec 29 by TVOS1907

I think they've said teachers won't be expected to do it.

The masterplan seems to be to get the pupils to do it themselves under supervision from the volunteers schools are supposed to find for next week. These volunteers are going to get expert advice from military personnel!!

A Headteacher on the news has just said she is struggling to find volunteers, which is so predictable.

Williamson doesn't seem to be saying anything now.

Aye, just heard that pupils will be expected to self-test, although i think that's a change in stance since the original proposal

The less Williamson says the better, and that needs to be made official government policy

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 18:37 - Dec 29 with 2312 viewsisitme

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 17:55 - Dec 29 by Shun

You continuously decry mass testing for people without symptoms but you still haven't explained why. It quite patently isn't a waste of time. If you have it and you're asymptomatic then it's feasible you're passing it on to any number of people, who could then go on and develop symptoms, potentially fatal. If a test can prevent you passing it on to all those people then how is that a waste of time?

'What percentage of 'covid patients' were actually admitted for Covid?' - Again I'm not sure what the point of this question is? That the figures are skewed as these Covid patients shouldn't be counted as they're suffering from something else as well? If they're poorly enough to be in hospital (trust me, it's very hard to be admitted into hospital right now - you'd need to be seriously unwell), then the strong likelihood is that Covid will harm them far more than you or me.

Neither test (PCR or Lateral Flow) in their current format tells us what we want to know - does the person have Covid and are they actually infectious. The creator of the PCR test even said themselves that it was not designed for wide scale use outside of strictly controlled laboratory conditions by experts. My specific issues are threefold: you can test positive if you have other RNA in your system from similar families of virus to Covid which includes flu and a number of strains of colds. Secondly as the test cannot distinguish between live or dead RNA a positive test does not indicate whether someone is infectious and capable of passing on the virus. You can test positive for up to three months after infection, especially with a higher CT. Thirdly widescale testing is being carried out in pop up labs where there are some queries over their conditions. There were widely reported issues with the lab in Milton Keynes. Due to the sheer volume of tests and the median false positive rate of 2.3% the more you test the more likely the results are to be inaccurate, especially if people do not have symptoms. There was also a story recently about around 1400 people falsely being told they were positive when they were not. Think about the knock on affects of this and how many children would not be allowed into school or people being able to go into work at a result. This is without even getting into issues with cycle thresholds.

I feel my question is valid to judge the scale of two problems. Firstly why are so many people acquiring Covid infections whilst they are in hospital? In some hospitals it has been reported that over 40% of 'covid patients' caught it in hospital and did not enter due to Covid. Secondly the absurdity of the measures the government uses to classify both a 'Covid patient' and a 'Covid death' which rely on tests that are not fit for purpose.

Can you confirm that admissions to hospitals are now regularly tested for Covid even if they have not been admitted due to Covid and display no symptoms? Also is this practice different than during March/April/May time?
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 19:42]
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 19:10 - Dec 29 with 2251 viewsJames1980

Last Wednesday in the wee small hours I was told to self isolate for 5 days by the T&T app. Thought it was strange that is was only 5 days. Turned out the encounter with the infected person happened the previous Thursday so if I was infectious up till when I went into isolation, who knows how many I infected. Fortunately we get full sick pay when isolating but can understand why some might ignore the instruction to stay home if they don't especially if they are not showing symptoms themselves.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 19:23 - Dec 29 with 2222 viewsblackdogblue

On the subject of online learning my boy is in year 10. He had to self isolate as someone he sat next to in History tested positive. At that time classes continued so he was left with show my homework to do. Then they closed & went on Microsoft Teams “lessons”. He does not have a laptop & u can’t stream it via Xbox so he’s on his phone to basically get an attendance mark. Thankfully me & Mrs BDB can work from home & this Teams is the worst invention ever... have enough e mails to deal with & a job to do without endless conference calls & people calling for a chat so can’t supervise him. I do feel for anyone in a teaching profession who truly cares for their students as year 10 kids have as much chance of passing exams next year as I did (I wagged school & got where I am through hard work).

As for football I said in another post call an end to the season but would do another way this year. Cancel all promotions / relegations & leave it at that. Furlough players registered on 80% in championship below so clubs don’t end up like Macclesfield.

As for the vaccine... yes I would have it but I watched Will Smith in I am Legend on Sky the other day 😷, not convinced it is a cure

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 19:55 - Dec 29 with 2153 viewsD_Alien

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 19:23 - Dec 29 by blackdogblue

On the subject of online learning my boy is in year 10. He had to self isolate as someone he sat next to in History tested positive. At that time classes continued so he was left with show my homework to do. Then they closed & went on Microsoft Teams “lessons”. He does not have a laptop & u can’t stream it via Xbox so he’s on his phone to basically get an attendance mark. Thankfully me & Mrs BDB can work from home & this Teams is the worst invention ever... have enough e mails to deal with & a job to do without endless conference calls & people calling for a chat so can’t supervise him. I do feel for anyone in a teaching profession who truly cares for their students as year 10 kids have as much chance of passing exams next year as I did (I wagged school & got where I am through hard work).

As for football I said in another post call an end to the season but would do another way this year. Cancel all promotions / relegations & leave it at that. Furlough players registered on 80% in championship below so clubs don’t end up like Macclesfield.

As for the vaccine... yes I would have it but I watched Will Smith in I am Legend on Sky the other day 😷, not convinced it is a cure

You raise three interesting points there bdb. In the order you raised them:

I can barely imagine how hard it is to supervise kids education at home under those circumstances, so the very best of luck with it to you and to everyone in the same boat. It's very much part of why i believe the government should do everything it can to keep schools open

If the season were to be suspended, the possibility it mightn't be completed looms large and we're much further behind this time round in terms of games played. I fully support your suggestion that the fairest thing to do under such circumstances would be to abandon promotion/relegation

Finally, regarding taking any notice of celebs on the media. Unfortunately, i'd have to say that the limitations of not having the educational bedrock to question what you hear from such sources places you in a difficult position. I greatly admire anyone who works hard to make good in life, with or without an education - but you've gotta admit, that places you in a position of vulnerability with regard to fake news and fake views

[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 19:59]

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 20:31 - Dec 29 with 2068 viewsnordenblue

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 18:19 - Dec 29 by TVOS1907

Good point about online learning and MyMaths & Dr Frost.

My wifi went down for a few hours last night. If that happens if/when we're all at home, then I'm snookered as regards giving help.

Another thing they haven't considered is what happens in households where there is only one device, yet more than one child who needs it any one time. Unless they're planning to supply laptops for families in this position. Oh.....
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 18:33]

To be fair my daughters primary school have asked anyone without access to a laptop to let them know and they can "provide" one, granted thats probably not available nationwide... its one big clusterfuk thats for sure
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 20:52 - Dec 29 with 2039 viewsTVOS1907

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 20:31 - Dec 29 by nordenblue

To be fair my daughters primary school have asked anyone without access to a laptop to let them know and they can "provide" one, granted thats probably not available nationwide... its one big clusterfuk thats for sure

Yes, we've done similar but there are only so many to go round.

Login to get fewer ads

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 20:55 - Dec 29 with 2028 viewsTVOS1907

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 19:23 - Dec 29 by blackdogblue

Never used Microsoft Teams, but we use Google Meet, which works really well.

I've recently had year 10 lessons with five pupils in class and the other 25 joining us from home, which could be life for the next few weeks.

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 21:19 - Dec 29 with 1984 viewsnordenblue

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 18:37 - Dec 29 by isitme

Neither test (PCR or Lateral Flow) in their current format tells us what we want to know - does the person have Covid and are they actually infectious. The creator of the PCR test even said themselves that it was not designed for wide scale use outside of strictly controlled laboratory conditions by experts. My specific issues are threefold: you can test positive if you have other RNA in your system from similar families of virus to Covid which includes flu and a number of strains of colds. Secondly as the test cannot distinguish between live or dead RNA a positive test does not indicate whether someone is infectious and capable of passing on the virus. You can test positive for up to three months after infection, especially with a higher CT. Thirdly widescale testing is being carried out in pop up labs where there are some queries over their conditions. There were widely reported issues with the lab in Milton Keynes. Due to the sheer volume of tests and the median false positive rate of 2.3% the more you test the more likely the results are to be inaccurate, especially if people do not have symptoms. There was also a story recently about around 1400 people falsely being told they were positive when they were not. Think about the knock on affects of this and how many children would not be allowed into school or people being able to go into work at a result. This is without even getting into issues with cycle thresholds.

I feel my question is valid to judge the scale of two problems. Firstly why are so many people acquiring Covid infections whilst they are in hospital? In some hospitals it has been reported that over 40% of 'covid patients' caught it in hospital and did not enter due to Covid. Secondly the absurdity of the measures the government uses to classify both a 'Covid patient' and a 'Covid death' which rely on tests that are not fit for purpose.

Can you confirm that admissions to hospitals are now regularly tested for Covid even if they have not been admitted due to Covid and display no symptoms? Also is this practice different than during March/April/May time?

An absolutely superb post isitme, I've read probably far too many articles from both sides of the fence and along with all the conspiracy bollox sadly, the majority of the "facts" ive read look identical to what you just superbly explained.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 23:10]
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 21:52 - Dec 29 with 1962 viewstony_roch975

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 18:37 - Dec 29 by isitme

Fair critique and of course the holy grail is a 100% accurate, instant result non-lab test of a person's current infection and infectiousness but does that detract from Shun's argument that mass testing is still of value in reducing transmission, however imperfect. I accept your consistent argument that the harm caused by the imposed mitigations can outweigh the benefits and no doubt 'inflated' case or death figures don't help - figures on the % of cases contracted after admission to hospital would be helpful.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 22:26 - Dec 29 with 1908 viewsDale92

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 17:55 - Dec 29 by Shun

You continuously decry mass testing for people without symptoms but you still haven't explained why. It quite patently isn't a waste of time. If you have it and you're asymptomatic then it's feasible you're passing it on to any number of people, who could then go on and develop symptoms, potentially fatal. If a test can prevent you passing it on to all those people then how is that a waste of time?

'What percentage of 'covid patients' were actually admitted for Covid?' - Again I'm not sure what the point of this question is? That the figures are skewed as these Covid patients shouldn't be counted as they're suffering from something else as well? If they're poorly enough to be in hospital (trust me, it's very hard to be admitted into hospital right now - you'd need to be seriously unwell), then the strong likelihood is that Covid will harm them far more than you or me.

Is it my mates missus just had double DDs put in in a public hospital...let's be honest they are never any beds and its flu seasons ofcourse they'll be a spike but at what point does normal life continue? More testing will be mean the R number will go up but it's not the black death, it's not tb, it's a virus that attacks weak immune systems. Still not heard off one athlete in any sport having any form of long term life changing symptoms from covid apart from in Korea I think when the outbreak began, who didnt have underline conditions to begin with. I know a ufc fighter had it 6months ago and still suffers from after effects but this person already has had non related covid issues like kidney failure.

This is the One, I've waited for

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 22:27 - Dec 29 with 1907 viewsRobinHoodDale

Regarding the lack of specificity of currently employed tests, there is at least one company (BATM Advanced Communications based in Israel) whose products outshine anything that's being used in the UK.

https://www.batm.com/rns-rnr/posts/2020/july/batm-expands-covid-19-diagnostic-te

In July, the company announced a five-gene test (rather than the typical three-gene offering) that in less than 60 minutes, can identify and differentiate between all prominent respiratory viruses. It can target and identify not only the spike (S) gene in patients with low viral loads but can also differentiate between ALL known variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, other coronaviruses such as the common cold and flu.

Why on earth Porton Down has not taken offerings like this this on board, tested them and approved them for use over those it has done is unfathomable.
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 22:29 - Dec 29 with 1896 viewsblackdogblue

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 20:52 - Dec 29 by TVOS1907

Yes, we've done similar but there are only so many to go round.

He could use an iPad which would be better, problem is WiFi. Although on Sky Ultimate infinite broadband package... 🤨... the download speed is as good as NCFC... daughter has been online lecturing from UNI in her final year & it’s that bad she has been hotspot from her unlimited broadband Vodafone deal so he’s on 4G.

Work has got all H&S so have a laptop riser, mouse,keyboard, monitor etc.. still all in the boxes as sit in the kitchen with a background on teams (Dale one 😀).

Having a laptop is just a bigger screen if I’m honest, I could connect mine to a big Tv screen but doesn’t make teaching or learning on line any better..

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 23:21 - Dec 29 with 1833 viewsnordenblue

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 21:52 - Dec 29 by tony_roch975

Fair critique and of course the holy grail is a 100% accurate, instant result non-lab test of a person's current infection and infectiousness but does that detract from Shun's argument that mass testing is still of value in reducing transmission, however imperfect. I accept your consistent argument that the harm caused by the imposed mitigations can outweigh the benefits and no doubt 'inflated' case or death figures don't help - figures on the % of cases contracted after admission to hospital would be helpful.

If mass testing as suggested is so inaccurate it's as good as useless, it's throwing everything out massively while at the same time asking folk to isolate when in reality the damage has/had been done weeks/months previous when they're actually infectious.
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 07:19 - Dec 30 with 1720 viewsNigeriamark

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 23:21 - Dec 29 by nordenblue

If mass testing as suggested is so inaccurate it's as good as useless, it's throwing everything out massively while at the same time asking folk to isolate when in reality the damage has/had been done weeks/months previous when they're actually infectious.

Just been Shafted by COVID this morning. Checked in at Oslo airport at 4.30 for a 6.30 flight to Kiev via Amsterdam. At 5.00 Amsterdam airport informed Oslo that transit passengers now need a Covid test with immediate effect. Refused boarding at the door & my baggage offloaded along with a few others

Was on the way to see my girlfriend for only the second time since last Jan & she has gone to town on a New Year Celebration for us including prime seats to Nutcracker ballet at the Kiev opera house which is the biggest show of the year ( not a huge ballet fan but would have been a good experience) also a special meal booked

Now sat outside the Covid test centre waiting for her to read my message when she wakes up. Fair to say it’s a relationship likely to go south faster than the Cleveland Browns play off hopes. Looking forward to 2 nights in an airport hotel too FFS !!!! happy f%%kin new year🙂
[Post edited 30 Dec 2020 7:22]
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 09:31 - Dec 30 with 1640 viewsTVOS1907

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 07:19 - Dec 30 by Nigeriamark

Just been Shafted by COVID this morning. Checked in at Oslo airport at 4.30 for a 6.30 flight to Kiev via Amsterdam. At 5.00 Amsterdam airport informed Oslo that transit passengers now need a Covid test with immediate effect. Refused boarding at the door & my baggage offloaded along with a few others

Was on the way to see my girlfriend for only the second time since last Jan & she has gone to town on a New Year Celebration for us including prime seats to Nutcracker ballet at the Kiev opera house which is the biggest show of the year ( not a huge ballet fan but would have been a good experience) also a special meal booked

Now sat outside the Covid test centre waiting for her to read my message when she wakes up. Fair to say it’s a relationship likely to go south faster than the Cleveland Browns play off hopes. Looking forward to 2 nights in an airport hotel too FFS !!!! happy f%%kin new year🙂
[Post edited 30 Dec 2020 7:22]

I'm sure all those people who have died, been hospitalised, lost their friends/relatives or lost their jobs and livelihood feel your pain.

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 09:55 - Dec 30 with 1610 viewsjoecooke

Try online learning and face to face teaching in a severe and profound disability environment during a pandemic !!!

Its taken what was a difficult task and created new level issues.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 10:19 - Dec 30 with 1584 viewsAtThePeake

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 22:26 - Dec 29 by Dale92

Is it my mates missus just had double DDs put in in a public hospital...let's be honest they are never any beds and its flu seasons ofcourse they'll be a spike but at what point does normal life continue? More testing will be mean the R number will go up but it's not the black death, it's not tb, it's a virus that attacks weak immune systems. Still not heard off one athlete in any sport having any form of long term life changing symptoms from covid apart from in Korea I think when the outbreak began, who didnt have underline conditions to begin with. I know a ufc fighter had it 6months ago and still suffers from after effects but this person already has had non related covid issues like kidney failure.

But how many athletes live with and regularly come into contact with family and friends that do have weak immune systems and are at-risk? The safety of the players extends to the safety of all of those around them and if they are finding themselves more at risk of contracting and passing on the virus by playing then they are putting their families at risk and we need this circuit-breaker that's been mentioned before it becomes safer to play again.

I really could do without a two week break from football as a distraction right now, but I can also understand that some things are more important than my distraction and entertainment.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Tangled up in blue.

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 10:35 - Dec 30 with 1552 viewsTVOS1907

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 10:19 - Dec 30 by AtThePeake

But how many athletes live with and regularly come into contact with family and friends that do have weak immune systems and are at-risk? The safety of the players extends to the safety of all of those around them and if they are finding themselves more at risk of contracting and passing on the virus by playing then they are putting their families at risk and we need this circuit-breaker that's been mentioned before it becomes safer to play again.

I really could do without a two week break from football as a distraction right now, but I can also understand that some things are more important than my distraction and entertainment.

Like ballet?

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 11:41 - Dec 30 with 1503 viewsDalenet

Karl Robinson has this morning suggested that the rise in covid cases at EFL clubs is down to "sloppy behaviour". He doesn't think it is deliberate - just a case of clubs and people not quite focussing on everything as seriously as they did at the start. A bit contentious maybe?
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 11:49 - Dec 30 with 1492 viewsD_Alien

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 11:41 - Dec 30 by Dalenet

Karl Robinson has this morning suggested that the rise in covid cases at EFL clubs is down to "sloppy behaviour". He doesn't think it is deliberate - just a case of clubs and people not quite focussing on everything as seriously as they did at the start. A bit contentious maybe?

It's been established that the new Covid variant is more easily transmitted than the original, and it's also been announced (at the new vaccine Tech Briefing) that the majority of new cases in the UK involve the new variant

So that's a factor which will naturally see rises in cases where contact between people occurs, but i wouldn't rule out the also perfectly natural human tendency to slightly relax our guard after a period of time in the type of conditions sports people are subject to, and especially team sports where bonding is a key element. I don't think Robinson should be criticised for making this point (not saying you were being critical)

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 15:55 - Dec 30 with 1311 viewsnordenblue

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 10:19 - Dec 30 by AtThePeake

That was exactly my point weeks ago when they rushed a return to a "normal" as some folk on here tried to call it, it was a ridiculous idea back then to bring back football and it's even more a stupid idea now continuing with it in the current mess the country is in...

I still find it hilarious when you see all the players walking off a team bus,keeping a distance from each other all masked up then 90 mins later diving on top of each other during a game, talk about token gestures for safety, its all laughably shite.
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 16:00 - Dec 30 with 1294 viewsNigeriamark

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 09:31 - Dec 30 by TVOS1907

I'm sure all those people who have died, been hospitalised, lost their friends/relatives or lost their jobs and livelihood feel your pain.

Having suffered 2 of the scenarios you mentioned, I’m not sure they will as it’s not in the same league, but it’s still a pain in the arse anyway
"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 16:04 - Dec 30 with 1284 views442Dale

"Covid-19: Continuation of football in England 'not wise', on 15:55 - Dec 30 by nordenblue

That was exactly my point weeks ago when they rushed a return to a "normal" as some folk on here tried to call it, it was a ridiculous idea back then to bring back football and it's even more a stupid idea now continuing with it in the current mess the country is in...

I still find it hilarious when you see all the players walking off a team bus,keeping a distance from each other all masked up then 90 mins later diving on top of each other during a game, talk about token gestures for safety, its all laughably shite.

Football started again when it was deemed safe to do so, like most other activities. It’ll stop again when it’s not. A good point was made around the way players/staff are behaving and taking their eyes of the ball a bit (no pun). If it is now a sufficient risk in transmission, they should stop; such a fast moving situation.
Something they’ll be looking at with places like schools too which of course will mean some parents being unable to work again - a difficult balancing act.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024