Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Super League 16:39 - Apr 18 with 10901 views442Dale

https://news.sky.com/story/european-super-league-plans-set-to-be-announced-six-e

Things are about to get messy.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

European Super League on 15:00 - Apr 19 with 2577 viewsBigKindo

Financial Press reporting that the backers are USA financial Goliath JPMorgan Chase who have stumped up £ 2.7bn to £ 3.55bn. backing with a suggested annual interest rate of 2% - 3%. What a snip. Nice little earner. Large ones all round.
European Super League on 17:16 - Apr 19 with 2400 viewselectricblue

European Super League on 15:00 - Apr 19 by BigKindo

Financial Press reporting that the backers are USA financial Goliath JPMorgan Chase who have stumped up £ 2.7bn to £ 3.55bn. backing with a suggested annual interest rate of 2% - 3%. What a snip. Nice little earner. Large ones all round.

I heard of that figure being banded about earlier shocking amount of money being thrown about......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

European Super League on 17:45 - Apr 19 with 2353 viewsDalenet

European Super League on 14:26 - Apr 19 by watford_dale

Think most of this is financially driven to address the alarming finances at most of the clubs:
Real Madrid - 700m euro in debt
Barcelona - £1bn euro in debt
Atletico Madrid - perennially in debt
Inter Milan - don't have the finances to compete in europe/keep up with Conte's demands
Juventus - don't have the financial clout in the European market. They were the second richest club in the world before the cash for scudetto's scandal
AC Milan - just recently cleared their debt

Man U - in debt and American owned who will want a large slice of the cash.
Man C - petroleum owned, don't need the money
Chelsea - oligarch owned, don't need the money
Liverpool - owners are American, who have decided that their sports clubs (Liverpool and Boston Red Sox) need to become sustainable, which has resulted in a reduction in wage bills or reduced transfer spending and will will want a large slice of the cash.
Spurs - no idea why they are here but they now need the severance cash.
Arsenal - American owned and will want a large slice of the cash.

If we get our proposed American shareholders involved do we qualify..... for being American owned and in debt???
European Super League on 18:17 - Apr 19 with 2290 viewsAtThePeake

European Super League on 00:34 - Apr 19 by 442Dale

They most certainly will if this carries on. Plus most of their own fans won’t bother turning up.
Can’t see how they can see this through as it would be like restarting their clubs with managers and players possibly wanting out too.

Edit: stories of European competition this season being suspended not confirmed.
Let’s see what they come up with when they agree to talk again to UEFA...
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 0:44]

I'd be very surprised if the Premier League decided to go ahead and play a season without those six clubs knowing how much the TV audience and sponsorship will take a hit. See also the World Cup without Messi, Ronaldo, Salah, Kane. The players and clubs might not be what make those tournaments marketable to traditional football fans, but they are what bring in the audiences from around the globe. Casual fans outside of Europe are far more likely to watch Real Madrid vs Barcelona in the Super League than Argentina vs Portugal with only 20% of their best available players playing in the World Cup.

And I'd be equally surprised if too many players or managers were to walk away. How many of them actually care about playing for their countries that much anyway? Are they going to walk away from the clubs that are set to receive an extra £300m a season for simply existing and can basically offer them any wage they want and take a massive reduction in order to represent their country?

From a fans' perspective, I think I'll find it quite easy to stop supporting Daniel Levy's Tottenham Hotspur tbh, but when the initial furore has died away and supporters are faced with the stark reality of the Super League or having to walk away from the clubs they've grown up with, they'll still go. Especially if the clubs involved can afford to reduce ticket prices massively in order to fill the grounds as we now know it plays much better on TV with supporters present. Some supporters will take a stand, but I don't think clubs will struggle to replace them.

Tangled up in blue.

European Super League on 19:25 - Apr 19 with 2175 viewsNorthernDale

They are talking about running the competition in conjunction with the national leagues , with the games being played midweek. I think UEFA and the national FA's should give them a basic choice. They can either be a member of the new league or members of their national leagues, they cannot be both.

They are also suggesting that players who play in the new competition cannot play for their national teams in any competitions. Will this work, with many players more interested in money then the game.

I am not surprised that the money behind the competition are Americans, they do not give a care about the game, but the bottom line and making as much money as possible. It is amazing how many of the so called football giants teams are in debt with such massive sums as well. However will fans get bored seeing the same teams, week in , week out with no new teams and how many could afford to travel to away games in Europe, every other week.
European Super League on 20:01 - Apr 19 with 2122 viewsBigKindo

Consideration should also be given to the USA franchise system that may get applied in that franchises can be bought and sold and clubs relocated to other cities. Man Utd. could be moved away from Manchester to, say, Carlisle if the incentives are sufficient. Two notable examples are in baseball Brooklyn Dodgers were moved to L.A. and some years ago the Glazers threatened to move Tampa Bay Bucs to another city if Tampa Bay City Council weren't prepared to build a new stadium at a cost to the local taxpayers. The Glazers also imtroduced a scheme a few years that if Bucs games weren't sell outs then there was TV coverage blacked out within a certain distance of the stadium. Wasn't there concern a couple of seasons ago that the number of foreign owners of Premiership.clubs had nearly reached the required number to change the Premiership rules and that they almost had the power to make the Premiership a closed shop with no promotion or regulation. I see no logic in this new Super League for this football venture other than to bring un-needed wealth to the few.
European Super League on 20:35 - Apr 19 with 2070 viewsTVOS1907

European Super League on 11:08 - Apr 19 by 49thseason

If this goes ahead, it would be a good time to split L1 &2 into L1North and L1 South. All the traipsing up and down the country is a financial and footballing nonsense in the sense that players are getting back for a Tuesday night match at Plymouth at 4am or facing two nights in hotels and when two regional divisions would attract bigger crowds with less travelling. ...
And, there may not be any need for relegations this year!

How many promotion/relegation places would you envisage between the Championship and the two regional leagues, bearing in mind the season needs to be kept alive for as long as possible in order to avoid too many meaningless end-of-season matches.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

European Super League on 20:36 - Apr 19 with 2070 viewsAtThePeake

European Super League on 20:01 - Apr 19 by BigKindo

Consideration should also be given to the USA franchise system that may get applied in that franchises can be bought and sold and clubs relocated to other cities. Man Utd. could be moved away from Manchester to, say, Carlisle if the incentives are sufficient. Two notable examples are in baseball Brooklyn Dodgers were moved to L.A. and some years ago the Glazers threatened to move Tampa Bay Bucs to another city if Tampa Bay City Council weren't prepared to build a new stadium at a cost to the local taxpayers. The Glazers also imtroduced a scheme a few years that if Bucs games weren't sell outs then there was TV coverage blacked out within a certain distance of the stadium. Wasn't there concern a couple of seasons ago that the number of foreign owners of Premiership.clubs had nearly reached the required number to change the Premiership rules and that they almost had the power to make the Premiership a closed shop with no promotion or regulation. I see no logic in this new Super League for this football venture other than to bring un-needed wealth to the few.

I can't help but feel the 'City Football Group' with their 'clubs' in Melbourne, New York, Mumbai and Yokohama have been preparing for the possibility of playing games in other cities for quite some time.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

European Super League on 20:45 - Apr 19 with 2052 viewsD_Alien

The six ESL clubs involved in the run-in to the end of this season's Premier League have rendered it almost meaningless

For instance, Liverpool have just taken the lead at Leeds and moved into the fourth Champions League spot - except it's a competition they're seemingly no longer interested in
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 20:49]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

European Super League on 21:17 - Apr 19 with 1975 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Lot of flexing of muscles but their weak spot is domestic league expulsion.
They’d be left with a small closed league of 12 to 15 (the other 5 non founding members wouldn’t be permitted to participate by their domestic leagues). Other than winning it there would be literally fook all to play for. They would also have to play any cup competitions between each other.
It would be extremely repetitive.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 21:18]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

European Super League on 22:11 - Apr 19 with 1858 views49thseason

Let them leave but ban them from ever returning to any of the top 4 English divisions, if they come back they start in the 5th tier and pay £100m a year for 5 years to be shared equally by the EFL clubs.
European Super League on 04:46 - Apr 20 with 1701 viewsDaley_Lama

------------Pickford------------------
Ayling- Keane- Cody- Trippier
---------------Rice-------------------
Sancho - Maddison- Grealish
Calvert Lewin - Vardy

Subs: Watkins, Ward-Prowse, Lingeard, Mings, Beingham

Easy Gareth, easy.

Poll: DF in or out

European Super League on 07:33 - Apr 20 with 1618 viewsDalenet

European Super League on 04:46 - Apr 20 by Daley_Lama

------------Pickford------------------
Ayling- Keane- Cody- Trippier
---------------Rice-------------------
Sancho - Maddison- Grealish
Calvert Lewin - Vardy

Subs: Watkins, Ward-Prowse, Lingeard, Mings, Beingham

Easy Gareth, easy.

The players are just pawns in this game of chess by the greedy owners. Bit like Klopp's statement last night. What happens if a player is bought from a Super European team? Would they then requalify to play in other competitions? We all know that players are manipulated by clubs and agents alike.
European Super League on 09:57 - Apr 20 with 1487 views49thseason

Lord Triesman saying on Sly News that there are as many as 50 clubs on the brink of administration. Says loss of funds from Premiership will push many over the edge if the 6 largest clubs leave. Says TV will not pay as much if the "big six" are not part of the Premiership.
European Super League on 10:25 - Apr 20 with 1451 views442Dale

Do hope this isn’t used as a distraction in a predictable way in the media by some at football clubs to divert attention from their own issues.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

European Super League on 10:45 - Apr 20 with 1419 viewsDaleFan7

European Super League on 10:25 - Apr 20 by 442Dale

Do hope this isn’t used as a distraction in a predictable way in the media by some at football clubs to divert attention from their own issues.

You mean like the ironic post our own club managed to post on Facebook yesterday?
European Super League on 11:54 - Apr 20 with 1326 viewsD_Alien

Statement from Everton:

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/2111866

They've got this absolutely spot on. Hope all clubs, throughout the pyramid, are taking note

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

European Super League on 12:46 - Apr 20 with 1240 viewsCedar_Room

I can't help but think that this idea was dead in the water as soon as PSG and all Bundesliga clubs refused to join. I mean seriously how can there be a European Super League without Bayern Munich?? It instantly fails to match what it claims to be as the home of elite European clubs. And who is going to fill out the rest of this league now seeing all the backlash? Ajax maybe? I don't see who has the same sort of financial clout and history who might make up the numbers.
European Super League on 13:03 - Apr 20 with 1204 viewsHopwoodblue

European Super League on 12:46 - Apr 20 by Cedar_Room

I can't help but think that this idea was dead in the water as soon as PSG and all Bundesliga clubs refused to join. I mean seriously how can there be a European Super League without Bayern Munich?? It instantly fails to match what it claims to be as the home of elite European clubs. And who is going to fill out the rest of this league now seeing all the backlash? Ajax maybe? I don't see who has the same sort of financial clout and history who might make up the numbers.

It might open a door for our neighbours “this famous old club”
I’m sure you will agree they are worthy candidates with there long and colourful history.
Get the mower out and like of paint and I could see bury v Real Madrid in the European super league
🤣🤣🤣

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

European Super League on 13:07 - Apr 20 with 1196 views49thseason

The worry is that they carried on regardless of who refused to join. They seem to believe they are operating from a position of strength, so its a safe guess they have game-played these reactions and decided the money accruing is worth the opprobrium they are receiving. This in turn suggests that they have TV / online rights / sponsors in place already. The owners are only interested in the bottom line of the accounts... the rest is a means to an end. To clubs like Rochdale this will ultimately mean another blow to the revenue line and will underline the urgency of developing substantial off field sources of income as quickly as possible.
European Super League on 13:35 - Apr 20 with 1164 viewsNigeriamark

European Super League on 13:07 - Apr 20 by 49thseason

The worry is that they carried on regardless of who refused to join. They seem to believe they are operating from a position of strength, so its a safe guess they have game-played these reactions and decided the money accruing is worth the opprobrium they are receiving. This in turn suggests that they have TV / online rights / sponsors in place already. The owners are only interested in the bottom line of the accounts... the rest is a means to an end. To clubs like Rochdale this will ultimately mean another blow to the revenue line and will underline the urgency of developing substantial off field sources of income as quickly as possible.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56812151

Another deluded comment by the President of Real Madrid. Seems it is not about money, but apparently the game is dying & this will save it.
European Super League on 13:40 - Apr 20 with 1135 viewsjudd

European Super League on 13:35 - Apr 20 by Nigeriamark

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56812151

Another deluded comment by the President of Real Madrid. Seems it is not about money, but apparently the game is dying & this will save it.

He's clearly never thought of celebratory mugs

Poll: What is it to be then?

European Super League on 13:59 - Apr 20 with 1103 viewsSuddenLad

I suppose in a similar way that the comically-named 'World Series' baseball competition consists of only U.S. teams. The money on offer is eye-watering and the crowds flock to watch it.

No doubt it's aimed at the Far East and Middle East markets. Serious money. They're all welcome to it.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

European Super League on 14:03 - Apr 20 with 1090 viewsjudd

European Super League on 13:59 - Apr 20 by SuddenLad

I suppose in a similar way that the comically-named 'World Series' baseball competition consists of only U.S. teams. The money on offer is eye-watering and the crowds flock to watch it.

No doubt it's aimed at the Far East and Middle East markets. Serious money. They're all welcome to it.

The World Series consists of US and Canadian teams, and is rumoured to have been originally sponsored by the New York World newspaper.

Poll: What is it to be then?

European Super League on 14:23 - Apr 20 with 1058 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Rumours are getting stronger that City are looking for a way out. I wouldn’t mind betting that discussions are underway with them and Chelsea. Look we will if you will.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024