Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident 09:09 - Jan 17 with 7268 viewsPinnerPaul

8 go red, 3 go yellow and not surprisingly none go throw in!

All qualified referees and some of those very experienced and at a decent level.

Its an error clearly and will be marked as such by the observer I'm sure.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 14:10 - Jan 17 with 2253 viewsPinnerPaul

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 09:40 - Jan 17 by nix

Warbs said that the fourth official, who was right by the incident, said it wasn't a foul. I wonder if that influenced the ref as they're all miked together and, if so, maybe it should be the fourth official that gets marked down, not the ref.

Calling it a throw in was just ridiculous. At an absolute minimum it was a clear barge in the back, and therefore a foul. Mystifying.

2 possibilities there

a) That's not what the 4th official said, or at least not in that context or

most likely

b) He's supporting the referee, who as you say, has clearly not only not given the foul or produced a card of any colour, but has probably told his team via comms that its not a foul.

If referee has seen it, then all 4th can do is back him up really.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 14:12 - Jan 17 with 2253 viewsPinnerPaul

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 09:49 - Jan 17 by Blue_Castello

Interesting I was waiting to see Pinners official viewpoint,from where we sit in Ellerslie it looked a foul all day long, it was surely just a matter of what colour card is that type of offence. It was made 10 times worse by Barbet having no room to avoid the head injury and then to add insult to injury Dike punches the air as if it's a game of American Football and he's just sacked the Quarterback, far too much adrenalin for his own good.....

Still only seen it once live, based on that, as stated yesterday, I would have gone yellow.

Looking at RefChat that's probably wrong and it should/could easily have been a red.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 14:12 - Jan 17 with 2251 viewsPinnerPaul

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 10:12 - Jan 17 by GloryHunter

What about the justification for stopping the game, Pinner?
We've all been frustrated by various oppo players sitting down on the pitch and being "treated" for imaginary ailments, but in Barbet's case, he was already off the pitch, so the treatment wasn't interfering with play, was it?

See above
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 14:17 - Jan 17 with 2229 viewsPinnerPaul

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 12:49 - Jan 17 by gazza1

Who knows what he thought, only he will know but I do not think that a fellow professional would have wanted to do that sort of damage to another player. He probably just wanted to give him a 'proper dig' to let him know what to expect.........

Yes think you're correct.

We, as fans, forget that the players are not.

Very rare at this level for everyone not to shake hands with everyone else as soon as final whistle goes.

Players were standing near each other for 5 minutes afterwards and after a quick bit of handbags - us trying to get him sent off, they trying to keep him on no doubt, everyone over there seemed quite calm.

If we thought it was a deliberate malious act, I doubt we would be stood there doing nothing.

Still a foul and a card though.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 14:36 - Jan 17 with 2197 viewstheQPRking

Interesting to see that within 5 mins of play restarting, a long ball was fed into Dike and Barbet fairly challenged him to win the ball, showing great professionalism in my opinion. I would have used that opportunity to launch him 3ft into the air. More power to barbet, what a pro and a quality game to boot.. that last ditch challenge was perfection.

For me its a booking, made worse for the fact the hoardings are so close.. do that at Reading away and you end up with grazes only.. He was overly pumped up.. his manager motioned to him to calm down straight after the incident..
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 14:48 - Jan 17 with 2177 viewsPinnerPaul

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 09:10 - Jan 17 by Northernr

Interesting. I would have thought it 3 red and 8 yellow but, like you say, it isn't a throw in.

TBH so was I.

As usual, some well thought out arguments for both card colours along with a universal incredulity at no free kick!
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 16:00 - Jan 17 with 2078 viewsCLAREMAN1995

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 12:04 - Jan 17 by kensalriser

Not surprised, I thought it was as clear a red as you're likely to see short of something extraordinary like a taekwondo style kick to the head.

During a PL game last weekend or maybe midweek a defender kicked the ball high off the ground without realizing there was a striker going to head it behind him so he grazed his face.The Ref flashed red straight away without any VAR and nobody really complained .
This was a straight red IMO so lets hope he gets a retro ban
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 16:11 - Jan 17 with 2070 viewsPinnerPaul

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 14:17 - Jan 17 by PinnerPaul

Yes think you're correct.

We, as fans, forget that the players are not.

Very rare at this level for everyone not to shake hands with everyone else as soon as final whistle goes.

Players were standing near each other for 5 minutes afterwards and after a quick bit of handbags - us trying to get him sent off, they trying to keep him on no doubt, everyone over there seemed quite calm.

If we thought it was a deliberate malious act, I doubt we would be stood there doing nothing.

Still a foul and a card though.

Now when I typed that I had NOT seen Charlie's interview - honest!

He says exactly the same as me (and Gazza) - its just football, thought it was a 50/50 and if there had been anything malicious in it ( he hopes there wasn't) then he would have expected a bigger reaction from his team mates and the bench.
Login to get fewer ads

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 17:29 - Jan 17 with 1980 viewsstainrods_elbow

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 10:46 - Jan 17 by bosh67

I don't think Dikes realised how bad it was when he reacts after the incident. He seemed to react to the ref giving the throw the other way. He definitely wasn't celebrating the tackle.

If so, that mainly goes to show what an American Psycho he is - over-pumped, stupidly wide, and probably not entirely all there. Shades of Thatcher on Mendes, albeit thankfully less severe. The referee and his official were obviously on some kind of wacky baccy to have missed it, or else suffered some kind of epileptic absence. But f*ck them all, because we beat them all.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 17:35 - Jan 17 with 1988 viewsNorthernr

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 17:29 - Jan 17 by stainrods_elbow

If so, that mainly goes to show what an American Psycho he is - over-pumped, stupidly wide, and probably not entirely all there. Shades of Thatcher on Mendes, albeit thankfully less severe. The referee and his official were obviously on some kind of wacky baccy to have missed it, or else suffered some kind of epileptic absence. But f*ck them all, because we beat them all.

'Over pumped' is exactly right, and it resulted in him crossing the line with this incident.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 18:20 - Jan 17 with 1910 viewsLongsufferingR

Not really in the same league as Thatcher on Mendes. Thatcher ran in at pace clearly only looking at the player, not the ball and forearm smashed him in the face. He should have been jailed for that, never mind sent off. Still makes me sick watching it.

Dike's should be red as he barges into him close to advertising so clearly endangering the opponent, but Thatcher? My god what a disgusting cowardly scumbag.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 18:25 - Jan 17 with 1895 viewsnix

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 14:10 - Jan 17 by PinnerPaul

2 possibilities there

a) That's not what the 4th official said, or at least not in that context or

most likely

b) He's supporting the referee, who as you say, has clearly not only not given the foul or produced a card of any colour, but has probably told his team via comms that its not a foul.

If referee has seen it, then all 4th can do is back him up really.

That makes more sense, that he was just backing the ref.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 18:38 - Jan 17 with 1856 viewsgazza1

Well OTT bringing the Thatcher incident into this.....that was pre-meditated and happens with that severity once every 10 years or so.

'Pumped up' maybe but so would I have been when you consider the situation of the game and his personal situation after a big money move in front a near full house in a pretty intimidating atmosphere wanting to impress the WBA supporters, etc, etc.

Would he have done it if he thought it would end up with a fellow pro having a cut head? - I don't think so, he was hanging around near the incident when it happened with remorse imo. I doubt very much if he was abusing Barbet after the incident either.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 18:54 - Jan 17 with 1833 viewscharmr

It’s all this bravado nonsense you see in sports, especially here in the US. I can’t recall ever seeing someone smiling and looking happy after doing something good. Over to you fellow US sport watchers.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 21:33 - Jan 17 with 1734 viewsdavman

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 14:36 - Jan 17 by theQPRking

Interesting to see that within 5 mins of play restarting, a long ball was fed into Dike and Barbet fairly challenged him to win the ball, showing great professionalism in my opinion. I would have used that opportunity to launch him 3ft into the air. More power to barbet, what a pro and a quality game to boot.. that last ditch challenge was perfection.

For me its a booking, made worse for the fact the hoardings are so close.. do that at Reading away and you end up with grazes only.. He was overly pumped up.. his manager motioned to him to calm down straight after the incident..

I think it affected Dike more than Barbet to be honest. He looked nervous after that and Yoann beasted him from that point forward.

It was a cowardly shove in the back and should have been a red. Our "nice" players and "nice" staff behaved well, which helped Dike. We all know many, many other teams who would have surrounded the officials to force a decision there...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 22:26 - Jan 17 with 1669 viewsTW_R

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 18:38 - Jan 17 by gazza1

Well OTT bringing the Thatcher incident into this.....that was pre-meditated and happens with that severity once every 10 years or so.

'Pumped up' maybe but so would I have been when you consider the situation of the game and his personal situation after a big money move in front a near full house in a pretty intimidating atmosphere wanting to impress the WBA supporters, etc, etc.

Would he have done it if he thought it would end up with a fellow pro having a cut head? - I don't think so, he was hanging around near the incident when it happened with remorse imo. I doubt very much if he was abusing Barbet after the incident either.

I agree with Gazza!!

We see these shoves in the back by the touchline a fair few times. I don’t think Dike deliberately tried to injure Barbet, but it was definitely a foul. A yellow card for me at the most. Had it been the other way round I would have been livid if Barbet got a red for that.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 22:57 - Jan 17 with 1614 viewsgazza1

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 22:26 - Jan 17 by TW_R

I agree with Gazza!!

We see these shoves in the back by the touchline a fair few times. I don’t think Dike deliberately tried to injure Barbet, but it was definitely a foul. A yellow card for me at the most. Had it been the other way round I would have been livid if Barbet got a red for that.

You had a beer too many
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 22:58]
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 23:49 - Jan 17 with 1559 viewsBoston

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 09:57 - Jan 17 by Antti_Heinola

That's an astonishing comment from the 4th official if true.

Time for the Fourth Estate to sort out the Fourth Official.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 02:05 - Jan 18 with 1495 viewsVancouverHoop

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 10:46 - Jan 17 by bosh67

I don't think Dikes realised how bad it was when he reacts after the incident. He seemed to react to the ref giving the throw the other way. He definitely wasn't celebrating the tackle.

It's pure speculation, none of us know what his reaction was about. I thought he was angry with himself for being late with a shoulder-to -shoulder tackle and expecting a card. But no idea really. Mostly I'd trust the players/coaches non-reaction.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 09:05 - Jan 18 with 1330 viewsNW5Hoop

I thought it was a foul. But I don't think it would have got a card anywhere else on the pitch — it was just a bit of a barge. I have no idea if the rules say off pitch obstacles count towards a foul being judged dangerous or reckless. Because, honestly, a little shove is not serious foul play.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 15:52 - Jan 18 with 1153 viewsfrancisbowles

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 09:05 - Jan 18 by NW5Hoop

I thought it was a foul. But I don't think it would have got a card anywhere else on the pitch — it was just a bit of a barge. I have no idea if the rules say off pitch obstacles count towards a foul being judged dangerous or reckless. Because, honestly, a little shove is not serious foul play.

It was a barge in the back, which is a foul and it was with excessive force. Definitely, a free kick and a card.
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 17:17 - Jan 18 with 1026 viewsderbyhoop

The danger here is that most are wanting decisions made on the consequences, as opposed to the action. Nudging somebody in the back in the middle of the park, probably wouldn't have warranted a card.

Was it serious foul play? Not really?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 17:26 - Jan 18 with 997 viewskensalriser

It wasn't a bit of a barge or a shove, that's what happens when people are jostling to get on a rush hour tube. It was a concerted shoulder barge with sufficient force to send Barbet, who doesn't look like a 6 stone weakling, absolutely flying and there wasn't even a sniff of an intent to play the ball. That's a minimum yellow anywhere on the pitch, something on which all the refs on Pinner's forum agreed.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 17:54 - Jan 18 with 985 viewscollegeranger

Shame Dike didn't get sent off as we want him banned as he could be the pivot to change their season. Was a big handful for Barnsley last season and will be a big asset for West Brom in the 2nd half of the season!

I was very worried that Barbet had broken his neck as we could hear the thud in the Ellerslie!
RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 18:27 - Jan 18 with 927 viewsQPR_John

RefChat 'Poll' on the Barbet incident on 17:17 - Jan 18 by derbyhoop

The danger here is that most are wanting decisions made on the consequences, as opposed to the action. Nudging somebody in the back in the middle of the park, probably wouldn't have warranted a card.

Was it serious foul play? Not really?

The consequences was predictable given were the incident took place. You really think it was a nudge in the back?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024