Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Welsh National Anthem 19:15 - Feb 13 with 16916 viewsbuilthjack

Is being sung loud and proud at Swans games these days.
Beautiful.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Welsh National Anthem on 14:33 - Feb 14 with 1127 viewsChief

Bloody WELSH people singing the WELSH National anthem the WELSH language.

Terrible business.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The Welsh National Anthem on 16:51 - Feb 14 with 1067 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh National Anthem on 10:07 - Feb 14 by Badlands

Agreed with most of that buy nationalism is only idiocy when it excludes and generates hate.

English nationalism is a movement of exclusion and domination exemplified by its anthem. Send her victorious. Yesterday it was sung to remind the Welshies we don't belong, sung to elicit a reaction, sung as an indication of status.
Welsh nationalism is inclusive to those who want to belong - Her brave warriors, fine patriots
Shed their blood for freedom ... not domination. And extols the virtue of nature and language.
Yesterday it was sung in defence of what is ours.
If you don't believe in Wales then get rid of it, become English, wear the red rose with pride, bow to the Queen and doff your caps to your lords, know your place and enjoy the crumbs.
FYI I don't like hearing Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau sung at Swans games.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2022 10:09]

Absolutely spot on the money.
Post of the year.

The survival of our welsh language in the face of hundreds of years of military force, abuse, ridicule and scorn is something to inspire us all.

The right of welsh people to have their own nation, and to join the nations of the world is an Inalienable right.

Welsh nationalism is modern, inclusive and internationalist. The very opposite of the Brit Nat wet dream that is an isolationist Brexit that makes England smaller in every respect.

Beware of the Risen People

The Welsh National Anthem on 17:06 - Feb 14 with 1057 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh National Anthem on 09:23 - Feb 14 by Catullus

I have looked it up in the past, which is where it is from. Like very many national anthems it bears no relevance to the modern world.

I'll tell you what inspires me, a dying teenager raising money for another sick child.

People going out of their way to help others regardless of colour, creed or religion.

People being nice just, because...

Nature, Mother nature inspires me too. Such beauty even in the smallest things where some of the smallest things are the most fierce.

Now I'll tell you what doesn't inspire me, nationalistic garbage being used as a reason to hate others.
Wherever you go in the world people are largely the same but when nationalism rears it's ugly head, that's when trouble starts.
Mae hen Wlad is a stirring composition, in my opinion one of the best national anthems in the world but the time when Wales just belonged to the Welsh is long gone. Its a global society now, nationalism is idiocy.

You can be inspired by a number of things mind.
Vive la difference as they say in France.

I much prefer the richness of the equal nations of the world, where various cultures are respected and languages enjoyed.

You should move to the soulless grey of Milton Keynes. You would love it there.
I hear that Bland Street is popular.
🇬🇧

The Welsh National Anthem on 17:09 - Feb 14 with 1056 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh National Anthem on 14:33 - Feb 14 by Chief

Bloody WELSH people singing the WELSH National anthem the WELSH language.

Terrible business.

Keep it going bois bach, its managed to upset all the right people. Perfect. 👌

The Welsh National Anthem on 17:50 - Feb 14 with 1035 viewsCatullus

The Welsh National Anthem on 10:07 - Feb 14 by Badlands

Agreed with most of that buy nationalism is only idiocy when it excludes and generates hate.

English nationalism is a movement of exclusion and domination exemplified by its anthem. Send her victorious. Yesterday it was sung to remind the Welshies we don't belong, sung to elicit a reaction, sung as an indication of status.
Welsh nationalism is inclusive to those who want to belong - Her brave warriors, fine patriots
Shed their blood for freedom ... not domination. And extols the virtue of nature and language.
Yesterday it was sung in defence of what is ours.
If you don't believe in Wales then get rid of it, become English, wear the red rose with pride, bow to the Queen and doff your caps to your lords, know your place and enjoy the crumbs.
FYI I don't like hearing Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau sung at Swans games.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2022 10:09]

Actually I don't believe in countries. What has being different countries ever done for us? it's made some rich and many destitute. It has promoted differences and made reasons for wars. So why would I become English when it's just more nationalist BS?
Human beings though, I guess we'll always find a reason for wars, religion, oil, gold, diamonds, money, territory.

If humanity can't get past it's own shortcomings we'll end up destroying ourselves. we're supposed to be intelligent. Nationalism by it's very nature excludes and generates hate, it's about YOUR country, what YOUR leaders want, it's about borders and separating people. All of us are citizens of planet Earth, not one of us is a different race, we are ALL human beings.

FYI, I don't mind the anthem being sung, people are free to do what they want as long as it's legal and they don't try and force it on me. As for knowing my place, you have obviously missed my numerous posts saying I'd abolish the monarchy and the lords, do away with the honours system and start again with a federalised UK.

FYI again, I join in with Hymns and Arias.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The Welsh National Anthem on 19:18 - Feb 14 with 1010 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Welsh National Anthem on 16:51 - Feb 14 by Kilkennyjack

Absolutely spot on the money.
Post of the year.

The survival of our welsh language in the face of hundreds of years of military force, abuse, ridicule and scorn is something to inspire us all.

The right of welsh people to have their own nation, and to join the nations of the world is an Inalienable right.

Welsh nationalism is modern, inclusive and internationalist. The very opposite of the Brit Nat wet dream that is an isolationist Brexit that makes England smaller in every respect.

Respect the wishes of the majority of Welsh people, who want to remain part of a strong United Kingdom, who wanted to leave the EU. The majority of Welsh people have English as their first language. They are fed up of having Welsh forced on them and being treated as second class citizens in their own country because they have no wish to speak a minority language.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Welsh National Anthem on 19:40 - Feb 14 with 980 views73__73

The Welsh National Anthem on 09:54 - Feb 14 by Badlands

Only a monoglot or supremacist would deride another language or make fun people speaking another.
Around the world, more than half of people — estimates vary from 60 to 75 per cent — speak at least two languages. Many countries have more than one official national language — South Africa has 11. Countries like Senegal, with 39 language, pride themselves in their linguistic and cultural diversity.
English is a lingua franca (along with Chinese, Hindi, Spanish and Arabic) but is increasingly seen as a language of oppression around the world especially in former 'Empire states'.
Countries subjugated by force have their liberty,, language and culture taken away.
Being from Wales or India or USA or Australia, New Zealand or Canada and being monoglot English is an acceptance of cultural slavery.
Calling people who are multi-lingual 'nutters' really does, well and truly, nail your colours to the mast.

I can speak Welsh, but it’s totally irrelevant in my life. English on the over hand is vital for 99% of welsh people.
English is the chosen language of the people of Swansea.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:07 - Feb 14 with 971 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh National Anthem on 19:40 - Feb 14 by 73__73

I can speak Welsh, but it’s totally irrelevant in my life. English on the over hand is vital for 99% of welsh people.

You are setting up a false argument.

Nobody is arguing against the use of English.
What our elected welsh government is suggesting is that people in wales can have both languages if they want to learn and use.

I would hope you would agree that the welsh language is of European significance, and measures to protect, support, and use the language should be welcomed.

A report by Beaufort Research in the summer of 2013 found that 99% of the respondents who didn’t speak much Welsh said that they would like to be able to speak Welsh better than they did, and 92% of them would welcome more opportunities to speak Welsh. They believe that some things in life have value beyond the monetary.

Things change with languages, welsh was the majority language in wales until 1911.

Login to get fewer ads

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:08 - Feb 14 with 970 viewsChief

The Welsh National Anthem on 19:18 - Feb 14 by felixstowe_jack

Respect the wishes of the majority of Welsh people, who want to remain part of a strong United Kingdom, who wanted to leave the EU. The majority of Welsh people have English as their first language. They are fed up of having Welsh forced on them and being treated as second class citizens in their own country because they have no wish to speak a minority language.

Studies have shown that the vote in Wales was swayed by English people living here by the way. But there we there were plenty of ridiculously misguided Welsh who did shamefully vote for brexit too.

However do you want to rethink the rest of your post!?

The majority of people are fed up? So who keeps voting in the party's that bring in these so terrible initiatives to encourage the use of the country's native tongue then?

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:09 - Feb 14 with 970 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh National Anthem on 19:18 - Feb 14 by felixstowe_jack

When in the 1970s did you leave Wales ?

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:17 - Feb 14 with 941 views73__73

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:08 - Feb 14 by Chief

Studies have shown that the vote in Wales was swayed by English people living here by the way. But there we there were plenty of ridiculously misguided Welsh who did shamefully vote for brexit too.

The majority of people are fed up? So who keeps voting in the party's that bring in these so terrible initiatives to encourage the use of the country's native tongue then?

Oh, what about the half a million southern Irish who were allowed to vote ?
I’m yet to meet anyone who voted leave and have now changed their mind.

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:34 - Feb 14 with 942 viewsmajorraglan

The Welsh National Anthem on 19:40 - Feb 14 by 73__73

English is the default language in Swansea, Welsh is the chosen language for an increasing number of people in the Swansea area. When I went to secondary school just over 40 years ago, there was only 1 Welsh medium comprehensive, now there are 4 secondary schools. It’s certainly increasing in popularity, but it takes time for children to move through the system from nursery though to comprehensive.
The Welsh National Anthem on 20:35 - Feb 14 with 925 views73__73

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:34 - Feb 14 by majorraglan

English is the default language in Swansea, Welsh is the chosen language for an increasing number of people in the Swansea area. When I went to secondary school just over 40 years ago, there was only 1 Welsh medium comprehensive, now there are 4 secondary schools. It’s certainly increasing in popularity, but it takes time for children to move through the system from nursery though to comprehensive.

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:47 - Feb 14 with 923 viewsmax936

I'm Welsh first and foremost and I really wish I could speak it, should have taken the time to her learnt it when I was much younger.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:51 - Feb 14 with 908 views73__73

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:47 - Feb 14 by max936

I'm Welsh first and foremost and I really wish I could speak it, should have taken the time to her learnt it when I was much younger.

Bit of a contradiction there. If being welsh is first and foremost, then you’d have taken the time to learn the language. It’s never to late.

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:54 - Feb 14 with 916 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:34 - Feb 14 by majorraglan

This is true without a doubt.

Growing up i knew nobody in our football club who spoke welsh.
That includes their parents.
Many families had moved here for work and now lived in the large Swansea post war estates.
Great people, but they knew nothing of the welsh language.
Everyone voted Labour. Everyone.

Fast forward 30 years, in similar areas of Swansea things are quite different.
In my kids football teams about a third went to welsh medium education.

Thats not scientific at all, but it does suggest things have changed a lot in one generation.

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:00 - Feb 14 with 907 viewsmax936

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:51 - Feb 14 by 73__73

Bit of a contradiction there. If being welsh is first and foremost, then you’d have taken the time to learn the language. It’s never to late.

If my life was that simple, I would, its a difficult language to learn and harder as you get older as well. That's no a cop out either.
There may come a time when I can try though, its being able to devote the time needed.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:03 - Feb 14 with 902 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:51 - Feb 14 by 73__73

16 to 25 year olds get free lessons, it was announced last week.

Welsh is now the 7th most popular language for UK users to take on using the duolingo app, overtaking Chinese. Huge year on year growth.

You are right, for many people its never too late.

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:05 - Feb 14 with 890 viewsBoundy

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:08 - Feb 14 by Chief

I wasn't misguided nor feel shameful for voting to leave, maybe that's your burden but not mine .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:12 - Feb 14 with 883 viewsChief

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:05 - Feb 14 by Boundy

I wasn't misguided nor feel shameful for voting to leave, maybe that's your burden but not mine .

Fair enough, maybe you didn't think about it and believed the crazy promises and propaganda.

Betrayed or embarrassed you must feel then but I have little sympathy for you.

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:16 - Feb 14 with 876 viewsReslovenSwan1

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:05 - Feb 14 by Boundy

You have voted to replace east European immigration with south east Asian immigration mostly from India. The jobs still need to get done. Increased Immigration of Indian has become noticeable in the last year.

Wise sage since Toshack era

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:18 - Feb 14 with 866 views73__73

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:16 - Feb 14 by ReslovenSwan1

You have voted to replace east European immigration with south east Asian immigration mostly from India. The jobs still need to get done. Increased Immigration of Indian has become noticeable in the last year.

Will politicians from Asia be passing laws in the U.K. ?

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:40 - Feb 14 with 842 viewsBoundy

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:12 - Feb 14 by Chief

Fair enough, maybe you didn't think about it and believed the crazy promises and propaganda.

Betrayed or embarrassed you must feel then but I have little sympathy for you.

More assumptions on your behalf , I'm not asking for your sympathy, nor do I feel betrayed
and certainly not embarrassed . Maybe you should try and accept the fact that others have differing views on how the country should be governed , they may not align with yours but that's the beauty of democracy , we're allowed to form our own opinions and act on them .

The Welsh National Anthem on 22:07 - Feb 14 with 821 viewsChief

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:40 - Feb 14 by Boundy

More assumptions on your behalf , I'm not asking for your sympathy, nor do I feel betrayed
and certainly not embarrassed . Maybe you should try and accept the fact that others have differing views on how the country should be governed , they may not align with yours but that's the beauty of democracy , we're allowed to form our own opinions and act on them .

Ah stubbornness. Or ostrich syndrome maybe. It's ok to be wrong.

Absolutely you we live in democracy and people can vote for whatever they want. It also means that people have the right to pass judgement on other people's choices. Especially when it involves such a ridiculous act of self destruction.

The Welsh National Anthem on 22:16 - Feb 14 with 815 viewsBoundy

The Welsh National Anthem on 22:07 - Feb 14 by Chief

Ah stubbornness. Or ostrich syndrome maybe. It's ok to be wrong.

Absolutely you we live in democracy and people can vote for whatever they want. It also means that people have the right to pass judgement on other people's choices. Especially when it involves such a ridiculous act of self destruction.

Not sure who voted you as "Mr Right " but you'd certainly get mine if it was for " I think I know it all" , in this case you don't unless you can see into the future and give an exact date as to when the UK self destructs . Its nearly 6 years after the referendum and you appear to be bitching like a 3 year old who's having paddy because you couldn't get your way , tough, suck it up and get on with it.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024