Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doncaster Vs Dale 18:24 - Dec 29 with 24654 viewsClivert

I'm assuming that it's available on ifollow tonight, it's not been advertised on the Facebook or Twitter pages though?
Doncaster Vs Dale on 09:13 - Dec 30 with 2820 viewsNorthernDale

Doncaster Vs Dale on 08:40 - Dec 30 by Dalenet

If you watched Bentley's post match interview James (see above) he is almost asking the same. A couple of months ago we weren't conceding. People did their jobs. He doesn't want to leave people up the park when defending set pieces because he doesn't have confidence that everybody can do those jobs. But we had become better at managing the threats.

Bentley is very frustrated. His comment that "footballers get everything nowadays" tells us all we need to know. These players aren't good enough or don't care. Where we we sometimes struggled with skill in the past, we always had players that cared and would put their body on the line. Rathbone being a great example. Its shit or bust now. We have to find 3 or 4 players to fight for the club because this lot won't.

I totally agree. I thought Bentley was close to tears with his frustrations in the inability of the team, especially the defence. Did he not say of Seriki instead of getting the ball up the meadow, tried to dribble and lost the ball, and they scored. He did identify the problems in not clearing the ball and constantly allowing them the opposition to shoot, this despite telling them to do the basics and getting the ball away from the penalty box. This is what happened at the beginning of his reign, whats changed? I would say putting John at fullback for a start, he cannot defend and the defence as been shaky since not having a proper right back (not his fault to be fair). I feel sorry for O'Donnell to some extent, in that he has a defence that he does not trust in front of him, so that causes to make mistakes in his judgement.

1, He needs to bring Graham back for a start, put White at fullback and I would also consider Keohane in a defensive midfield role, instead of Ball.
2, We need a right back, a centre half to control the defence, a central midfielder in the Lund mould to control the midfield and possibly a striker.
3. Hopefully the parent clubs will take the loan signings back on the 1st of January to free up money and room for new signings, which will be a start. Questions must be asked about Malley future, possibly send out Taylor on loan to get experience (also save a wage for a few months).
Doncaster Vs Dale on 09:21 - Dec 30 with 2791 viewsRAFCBLUE

Doncaster Vs Dale on 09:03 - Dec 30 by fourfourtwo

If we really are as skint as we are making out, then the only viable solution is to source some funding.

Get an EGM called, re-mortgage the ground if needs be, then then release a sensible amount of funds, on sensible terms & get it invested in the squad.

I would rather have a club, with a mortgage, playing in the football league who therefore has a much greater chance to increase revenue due to a better chance of success in promotion & cup runs etc

We cannot just slide into non-league obscurity with such a lack of fight or effort. We have to do something big in January or we’ve really had it.

Notwithstanding the need for an EGM, arranging a mortgage assumes a credible funder is available to lend and interested in doing so at a suitable interest rate.

That's just not the current economic reality as most banks don't want to touch lower league teams, not just for fear of losing their loan but also for the negative PR that comes with having to forclose on an unpaid loan.

The type of firms interested lend small sums at eye watering interest rates as bury found out:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2014/nov/12/bu

A mortgage is not going to be an option in January.

On the other hand there is £1.0m of immediate funding generated from the sale of shares if/when they are sold.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Doncaster Vs Dale on 09:27 - Dec 30 with 2755 viewsfourfourtwo

Doncaster Vs Dale on 09:21 - Dec 30 by RAFCBLUE

Notwithstanding the need for an EGM, arranging a mortgage assumes a credible funder is available to lend and interested in doing so at a suitable interest rate.

That's just not the current economic reality as most banks don't want to touch lower league teams, not just for fear of losing their loan but also for the negative PR that comes with having to forclose on an unpaid loan.

The type of firms interested lend small sums at eye watering interest rates as bury found out:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2014/nov/12/bu

On the other hand there is £1.0m of immediate funding generated from the sale of shares if/when they are sold.

Two questions to follow up your response on if you would be so kind:

1. Have we identified someone who is actually willing to buy said shares and invest £1M in January?

2. Would we be better attempting to source funding from the council again? Surely RMBC are well aware of the financial impact of RAFC being relegated from the EFL upon the town. Surely it would be in their interest to do what they can to support us financially for the good of all?
Doncaster Vs Dale on 09:52 - Dec 30 with 2671 viewsRAFCBLUE

Doncaster Vs Dale on 09:27 - Dec 30 by fourfourtwo

Two questions to follow up your response on if you would be so kind:

1. Have we identified someone who is actually willing to buy said shares and invest £1M in January?

2. Would we be better attempting to source funding from the council again? Surely RMBC are well aware of the financial impact of RAFC being relegated from the EFL upon the town. Surely it would be in their interest to do what they can to support us financially for the good of all?

Club statement last week:
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/december/chairmanchistmasmessage2022/

"So far, supporters have purchased just over 20,000 of these new shares and the Board of Directors will now need to look outside of the club for potential investors to purchase the remainder of these shares whilst keeping some back for supporters to buy."

"Will now need to look" would imply no party is currently identified.

Not sure and would be a matter for the Council. Having sold their shares in the ground to the club in 2016, I don't believe (looking at the historical filed accounts) they have provided any long term finance to the club since, but they did recoup all of their historic (pre-2016) contributions from the club via conversion into a nine year mortgage in 2016, was was paid off early to stop a payroll company gaining control of the club.

Dunphy's book and this earlier article suggest that was an 18 month process:
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2016/march/rochdale-football-club-secure-full

Do the Council / a majority of councillors wish to fund a mortgage? What is the process for them - I can't imagine it is quick? What happens if they don't want to do so?
[Post edited 30 Dec 2022 9:53]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Doncaster Vs Dale on 09:54 - Dec 30 with 2655 viewsgolfaduffy

I agree that we would struggle to find a lender at the moment due to a) our accounts/cashflow and b) high interest rates we would have to pay if we found someone who would lend.

Wha5t puzzles me somewat is that in the last year or so, the current Board as paid about £500k to MH . They also paid off a mortgage on the ground, and a loan to RMBC. This is cash that could have been utilise in the football club.

I spoke with one of the associate Directors ( forget his name, but based away from the area) last season and he assured me that the share transfers by which MH aquired their shares were illegal, and would never stand up in court. He said that the club legal advisors had confirmed this. I can only assume this advice has changed.

Sadly; the idea that shareholders will buy up £1m worth ov new shares in the current economic climate is silly. Perhaps someone like the Council might . Otherwise the club is going to have to talk to the people who they turned down before and they won't invest unless they have a say in the running of the club.

One things for sure. We are 100% going down with the current squad and need at the very least 4 new (good) players replacing about 6 or 7 who are not good enough.

So the Board is faced with a tough question. Do they gamble by spending £3-500k on the wages for new players needed to keep us in the EFL, or do they stick with what we have and watch as gates drastically decline and income drops even further next year.
Doncaster Vs Dale on 10:26 - Dec 30 with 2526 viewsRAFCBLUE

Doncaster Vs Dale on 09:54 - Dec 30 by golfaduffy

I agree that we would struggle to find a lender at the moment due to a) our accounts/cashflow and b) high interest rates we would have to pay if we found someone who would lend.

Wha5t puzzles me somewat is that in the last year or so, the current Board as paid about £500k to MH . They also paid off a mortgage on the ground, and a loan to RMBC. This is cash that could have been utilise in the football club.

I spoke with one of the associate Directors ( forget his name, but based away from the area) last season and he assured me that the share transfers by which MH aquired their shares were illegal, and would never stand up in court. He said that the club legal advisors had confirmed this. I can only assume this advice has changed.

Sadly; the idea that shareholders will buy up £1m worth ov new shares in the current economic climate is silly. Perhaps someone like the Council might . Otherwise the club is going to have to talk to the people who they turned down before and they won't invest unless they have a say in the running of the club.

One things for sure. We are 100% going down with the current squad and need at the very least 4 new (good) players replacing about 6 or 7 who are not good enough.

So the Board is faced with a tough question. Do they gamble by spending £3-500k on the wages for new players needed to keep us in the EFL, or do they stick with what we have and watch as gates drastically decline and income drops even further next year.

Taking high rate loans secured against a club's ground is slippery slope that not any club I can't think of has ever stepped off once they are on it. I suspect that was what was behind Mr Morris' protecting the ground with the Board during the 1980's.

The EFL'S SCMP rules will prohibit the type of gambling with a short term punt on players, notwithstanding that the £300k to £500k you are describing would have to be funded by something.

More on SCMP here:
https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

On your other points:

* The mortgage and the RMBC loan are/were the same thing. It was stated this was done as a protective measure to prevent the hostile takeover. Following this, the ground cannot be ever sold, transferred or mortgaged without formal agreement from a significant majority of duly notified shareholders of the club and a formal notification provided to the local authority. Effectively what happened to Bury couldn't now happen to us and the ground could not be sold without shareholder approval.

* it was Morton House who chose to take individuals and the Dale Trust into a High Court process over shares. The defence costs of that and purchase costs of shares prevent that issue from still hanging over the club funded by individuals. I'm not sure its right to say individuals would have deployed that into a club given we are fan owned after the events of June 2021 which saw virtually a new Board needed.

Doncaster Vs Dale on 10:27 - Dec 30 with 2523 views442Dale

Would that mean, having sold 20000 of the shares, there’s £40000+ of immediate funding generated now?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Doncaster Vs Dale on 10:30 - Dec 30 with 2511 viewsRAFCBLUE

Doncaster Vs Dale on 10:27 - Dec 30 by 442Dale

Would that mean, having sold 20000 of the shares, there’s £40000+ of immediate funding generated now?

Yes.

Share capital is new money so say 20,000 at the £2.35 minimum price = £47,000

Login to get fewer ads

Doncaster Vs Dale on 10:33 - Dec 30 with 2501 viewsRippDale

We already have 4-5 players on 100k plus a year deals, so we have no chance of gambling another 300-500K. The lack of football knowledge at board level is having a massive impact. It must be difficult to put trust in a manager and then allow him to blow the budget. Some of the players will have been scouted but some like Ball/Tulloch were already known by Shan. Other players were recommended by Stockdale's mates in the game like Seriki/Broadbent/Graham. All transfers are gambles but as fans we watch lots of lower league games and the are no excuses for signing players like Rodney
Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:06 - Dec 30 with 2340 viewsDalenet

The current Board used their own personal cash savings to pay off Morton House and buy shares back. That money wouldn't be used to invest in the playing squad as the Board said at the time that they would need to sell on those shares to recover the cash as none of them can afford to lose it indefinately.

As for the mortgage repayment- I guess that helps the cashflow of the club given where interest rates are heading. But there is a black hole.

If we can survive in the EFL this season, we have at least £1.5m of income next year that we won't have if we get relegated. So investing in some players in January would be a good investment even if it meant we were needing to pay them into next season. Trying to find 3 or 4 players on short term contracts probably won't bring the quality we need. Alternatively we go to the loan market. Does Bentley have enough contacts for loan deals - surely some of the Championship clubs in the north would prefer to see us survive and help cover some loan costs.

The club has to do all it can to galvanise the town now and get some support. Back us or lose us. Market ticket deals and half season tickets to bring say £50k in. Advertise 2023 season tickets in March if that is needed to bring cash into the club to get through this season (can't believe I am saying that). What is the Trust's plan to acquire some more shares - at the Trust AGM there was a plea not to fund raise. But is that sensible?
Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:26 - Dec 30 with 2253 viewsBillyRudd

I honestly don,t feel optimistic, I would much sooner have a good gripe on here and get it off my chest. I know I would feel better for it, but here goes anyway.
Its pretty clear from Bentleys interviews that we should not be expecting more than one or two January signings, If that should be the case then I am now pinning my hopes on the possibility that lightning strikes twice and we procure the services of a Lyndon Simmonds type player. It is,nt just because of the vital goals he scored in his tenure here (22 in 65 appearances) that he is fondly remembered, by supporters of a certain age.
It is because he was a 5ft 4"pocket dynamo leader that raised the spirits of both the players around him and the fans watching.
My memory often plays tricks with me but I believe he was drafted in under similar circumstances and transformed the season. I do remember travelling to top of the league Preston, winning I think 1-3 ? and it prompting a chorus from our fans of "we want a plastic pitch" a reference to their controversial playing surface.
Feel free to put my memory right.
Lets hope Bentley has a Cooksey, Farrell, or Simmonds in his phone contacts list.
Up the Dale
Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:31 - Dec 30 with 2220 viewsTVOS1907

Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:26 - Dec 30 by BillyRudd

I honestly don,t feel optimistic, I would much sooner have a good gripe on here and get it off my chest. I know I would feel better for it, but here goes anyway.
Its pretty clear from Bentleys interviews that we should not be expecting more than one or two January signings, If that should be the case then I am now pinning my hopes on the possibility that lightning strikes twice and we procure the services of a Lyndon Simmonds type player. It is,nt just because of the vital goals he scored in his tenure here (22 in 65 appearances) that he is fondly remembered, by supporters of a certain age.
It is because he was a 5ft 4"pocket dynamo leader that raised the spirits of both the players around him and the fans watching.
My memory often plays tricks with me but I believe he was drafted in under similar circumstances and transformed the season. I do remember travelling to top of the league Preston, winning I think 1-3 ? and it prompting a chorus from our fans of "we want a plastic pitch" a reference to their controversial playing surface.
Feel free to put my memory right.
Lets hope Bentley has a Cooksey, Farrell, or Simmonds in his phone contacts list.
Up the Dale

4-2 at Preston that night.

When he made his debut, we were bottom of the league with 19 points from 24 matches and were five points adrift of Torquay above us.

The difference then, of course, is that only the bottom team went down.

You're right, we do need an inspirational signing like that, although, as Lyndon has often referenced, the role of Derek Parlane in that end to the season is often overlooked.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:37 - Dec 30 with 2191 viewsBillyRudd

Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:31 - Dec 30 by TVOS1907

4-2 at Preston that night.

When he made his debut, we were bottom of the league with 19 points from 24 matches and were five points adrift of Torquay above us.

The difference then, of course, is that only the bottom team went down.

You're right, we do need an inspirational signing like that, although, as Lyndon has often referenced, the role of Derek Parlane in that end to the season is often overlooked.

Thanks TVOS. As I intimated a shocking memory. Am I right in stating it was Parlane that scored in our famous 0-1 victory at Turf Moor with 9 against 11 and the referee? Never has a final whistle felt sweeter.
Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:41 - Dec 30 with 2172 viewsTVOS1907

Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:37 - Dec 30 by BillyRudd

Thanks TVOS. As I intimated a shocking memory. Am I right in stating it was Parlane that scored in our famous 0-1 victory at Turf Moor with 9 against 11 and the referee? Never has a final whistle felt sweeter.

No, that was Peter Ward.

Parlane had left us two years earlier. Parlane scored in a 3-0 win at Turf Moor on his debut, however.

Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:44 - Dec 30 with 2147 viewsBillyRudd

Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:41 - Dec 30 by TVOS1907

No, that was Peter Ward.

Parlane had left us two years earlier. Parlane scored in a 3-0 win at Turf Moor on his debut, however.

Thanks TVOS.
You will be telling me next Harold Wilson is,nt Prime Minister?!
Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:50 - Dec 30 with 2117 viewsTVOS1907

Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:44 - Dec 30 by BillyRudd

Thanks TVOS.
You will be telling me next Harold Wilson is,nt Prime Minister?!

He might as well be!

Doncaster Vs Dale on 12:15 - Dec 30 with 2013 viewsAtThePeake

Doncaster Vs Dale on 11:06 - Dec 30 by Dalenet

The current Board used their own personal cash savings to pay off Morton House and buy shares back. That money wouldn't be used to invest in the playing squad as the Board said at the time that they would need to sell on those shares to recover the cash as none of them can afford to lose it indefinately.

As for the mortgage repayment- I guess that helps the cashflow of the club given where interest rates are heading. But there is a black hole.

If we can survive in the EFL this season, we have at least £1.5m of income next year that we won't have if we get relegated. So investing in some players in January would be a good investment even if it meant we were needing to pay them into next season. Trying to find 3 or 4 players on short term contracts probably won't bring the quality we need. Alternatively we go to the loan market. Does Bentley have enough contacts for loan deals - surely some of the Championship clubs in the north would prefer to see us survive and help cover some loan costs.

The club has to do all it can to galvanise the town now and get some support. Back us or lose us. Market ticket deals and half season tickets to bring say £50k in. Advertise 2023 season tickets in March if that is needed to bring cash into the club to get through this season (can't believe I am saying that). What is the Trust's plan to acquire some more shares - at the Trust AGM there was a plea not to fund raise. But is that sensible?

"If we can survive in the EFL this season, we have at least £1.5m of income next year that we won't have if we get relegated. So investing in some players in January would be a good investment even if it meant we were needing to pay them into next season."

It's a good investment if we stay up. If we don't, it isn't. We should probably stop thinking that signing 4 or 5 players automatically means we stay up, because as we've shown in the last few years, signing players doesn't automatically make you better.

Tangled up in blue.

Doncaster Vs Dale on 12:15 - Dec 30 with 2013 viewsAtThePeake

Doncaster Vs Dale on 23:33 - Dec 29 by 49thseason

Play Taylor at centre forward...he's quicker than Quigley. Send Quigley back to Stockport.

This is it. I've actually seen it all on this messageboard now.

Tangled up in blue.

Doncaster Vs Dale on 12:24 - Dec 30 with 1957 viewselectricblue

The past matches JB as changed a few players in the starting 11 and what is apparent in those changes they lack leadership, ability and gile....

JB can only do so much on the training field with this bunch and once they cross that whiteline everything they have worked upon seems to go out the window.

JB hands are tied towards bringing in 5,6,7, players that supporters seem to want i think 3 could be brought in onloan if players like Tulloch,Slicker,Malley leave to free up wages..

Looking at the Hartlepool match and the first 5mins off last night the rot as well n trult tsken hold and i cannot see a way out of this mess it really is that bad.

I really hope that JB gets a few players in that can turn this team around as that maybe all it takes.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Doncaster Vs Dale on 12:41 - Dec 30 with 1902 viewsAllDaleArentWe

Doncaster Vs Dale on 08:08 - Dec 30 by Cedar_Room

Once again in his interview Bentley talks about bringing in 1 or 2 players in the transfer window. 1 or 2. You can only assume this is an issue of resources because what is needed is a total overhaul of that squad. I cannot for the life of me believe that 1 or 2 additions is going to turn our fortunes around. It needs 5+. You have to think Bentley is aware of that and yet it seems the money is only going to be there for 1 or 2. That’s not going to be enough. That’s not going to make the difference when 8 or 9 of your starting XI have proven themselves week in week out this season to be not good enough at this level. So there’s also a big question here for the Board. Look where we are. Look at our performances. Look at this group of players. As things stand we are dead certs for relegation. Now look at the National league and where the teams relegated last season from L2 are. Have a good think about how we’d fare in that division with our already limited fan base when there will be plenty of teams getting bigger crowds and having more resources than us. How do you think it’s going to go? I’ve never before wanted the club to gamble our future by spending money we don’t have but if we don’t take a gamble now the position we are in could surely result in much much worse times to come. Getting this window right may well determine this clubs future for the next 10 years.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with your last point. Let’s say we did somehow miraculously survive this season what makes you think anything would change next season. The club needs some serious outside investment and fast. Even in the national league there’s probably 15+ teams with more money than us. And they’re even considering another relegation place for league 2 so 3 teams go down. If (and it’s a massive if) we did survive this season, it would just be delaying the inevitable unless we get some outside investment.
Doncaster Vs Dale on 14:46 - Dec 30 with 1626 viewsHullDale

Doncaster Vs Dale on 15:04 - Dec 30 with 1572 viewsHullDale

Doncaster Vs Dale on 14:46 - Dec 30 by HullDale

Interesting comment about a few gone already...

Slicker, Tulloch, Malley?

Wild card guess Brierley?
Doncaster Vs Dale on 15:06 - Dec 30 with 1561 viewsBrierls

Doncaster Vs Dale on 14:46 - Dec 30 by HullDale

That wasn’t as explosive as I’d hoped! Can’t disagree with anything Jim has said, can’t help but feel a few need throwing under the bus to enforce a no tolerance approach.

Make a statement.

Call out O’Donnell for getting beat from free kicks.
Remove EEL as captain.
Get rid of Ball who does a lot with his mouth but nothing with his feet.
Call out Odoh for having zero end product.
Challenge Quigley to be the player he was when he signed.
Doncaster Vs Dale on 15:25 - Dec 30 with 1491 viewsHullDale

Doncaster Vs Dale on 15:06 - Dec 30 by Brierls

That wasn’t as explosive as I’d hoped! Can’t disagree with anything Jim has said, can’t help but feel a few need throwing under the bus to enforce a no tolerance approach.

Make a statement.

Remove EEL as captain.

add to that 'social media blackout for the team'.

Sinclair posting pictures this morning celebrating his goal, albeit without the usual 'trust the process' caption, and his dad doing similar this afternoon, is only going to rub the fans up the wrong way.
Doncaster Vs Dale on 15:42 - Dec 30 with 1421 viewsRAFCBLUE

Doncaster Vs Dale on 15:06 - Dec 30 by Brierls

Make a statement.

Remove EEL as captain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0ds73h9

Full 8 minutes and 44 seconds here.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024