Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Start of the Bentley era? 23:10 - Feb 11 with 8233 viewsSheffield_dale

Trying to snowball some positivity but is it fair to say today is the start of the Bentley era? Perhaps the end of the Stockdale drain?

The team is now pretty much majority his signings. He's had a full week with the team training. Today was a massive improvement and hopefully sign of things to come.

Going to be a tough ask but I feel we are more equipped than a few weeks ago
Start of the Bentley era? on 00:39 - Feb 12 with 4108 viewsD_Alien

It's worth remembering he's just six months into the job, which in managerial terms is negligible. Mistakes have been made, but i also wonder whether the Forum might've given him and Chadwick something to think about and take to the players

The display today (yesterday now) was a baseline from which we can't afford to fall below for the rest of the season. If so, he's got the chance to make a name for himself and almost certainly his last chance at a league club

After Orient, another massive game at home against Gillingham. Let's see how things look after that

[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 0:42]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Start of the Bentley era? on 07:49 - Feb 12 with 3982 viewstony_roch975

Too early to say but I was encouraged to see McNulty actually coaching the back 4 during the warm up - seems daft to have a coach who's played CB at Championship level not involved on matchday.
Also the small game warm up shows the technical abilities of the squad, it's their heads that go into fear mode when the whistle blows. But yesterday they were on the front foot with attempted interceptions even if they didn't always work (eg Mullarkey early in the game) - that's the change of attitude we need to see.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Start of the Bentley era? on 09:25 - Feb 12 with 3822 viewsEllDale

They’ve done that routine with the back four for the last few weeks.
That’s one of the first things I look for when I’m trying to decipher how the team is set-up looking at the team sheet.
Kevin Gibbins used to take it but now Big Jim has taken over.
Start of the Bentley era? on 10:10 - Feb 12 with 3734 viewsD_Alien

Back four?

We're playing 3 CBs with 2 wingbacks

Yesterday it worked. Odoh having Mullarkey knows he's got his back covered. It also allows Mullarkey to venture upfield, and we all know Bennett can do that too (but not in the first minute with no cover FFS)

And Hallelujah, Bentley gave Odoh instructions to stay wide on the halfway line for a corner. Exactly as planned, the clearance came his way but he was clattered/fell awkwardly (according to point of view), but the opposition left two back. Don't think we continued with it, but the point made at the Forum by fans was listened to. When i said above the Forum will have made Bentley think, that's another example

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:32 - Feb 12 with 3681 viewsfourfourtwo

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:10 - Feb 12 by D_Alien

Back four?

Yesterday it worked. Odoh having Mullarkey knows he's got his back covered. It also allows Mullarkey to venture upfield, and we all know Bennett can do that too (but not in the first minute with no cover FFS)

And Hallelujah, Bentley gave Odoh instructions to stay wide on the halfway line for a corner. Exactly as planned, the clearance came his way but he was clattered/fell awkwardly (according to point of view), but the opposition left two back. Don't think we continued with it, but the point made at the Forum by fans was listened to. When i said above the Forum will have made Bentley think, that's another example

We played with a back four for 3/4’s of the game yesterday.

Mullarkey was predominately at right back and Odoh was on one wing and Lloyd on the other.

Odoh dropped deeper as it became backs to the wall and then Mullarkey was able to support the centre halves, especially in the air.

Yesterday was very much a change of shape & one I hope we keep.
Start of the Bentley era? on 10:41 - Feb 12 with 3643 views442Dale

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:32 - Feb 12 by fourfourtwo

Mullarkey was predominately at right back and Odoh was on one wing and Lloyd on the other.

Odoh dropped deeper as it became backs to the wall and then Mullarkey was able to support the centre halves, especially in the air.

Disagree. It was much the same as last week with Mullarkey given the freedom to carry the ball forward and Odoh able to drift more knowing he’s cover behind. Bentley even mentions him in that position during his interview. It’s certainly not a back four because Dodgson’s starting position is higher as well although not with as much freedom to go inside as Odoh. It can become a back four though when Mullarkey shifts over to cover the RWB and Dodgson drops deeper.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:47 - Feb 12 with 3622 viewsfourfourtwo

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:41 - Feb 12 by 442Dale

Disagree. It was much the same as last week with Mullarkey given the freedom to carry the ball forward and Odoh able to drift more knowing he’s cover behind. Bentley even mentions him in that position during his interview. It’s certainly not a back four because Dodgson’s starting position is higher as well although not with as much freedom to go inside as Odoh. It can become a back four though when Mullarkey shifts over to cover the RWB and Dodgson drops deeper.

Odoh and Lloyd both played as out and out wingers for the majority of the game.

As the original poster said all the warm ups were one with a four man defensive unit, which Odoh wasn’t involved in.

Mullarkey was quite literally a marauding full back in the first half.
Start of the Bentley era? on 10:49 - Feb 12 with 3612 viewstony_roch975

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:10 - Feb 12 by D_Alien

Back four?

In the interests of pedantry & point scoring (if only the team was as good as you DA) I didn't say we played all the game with a back 4 but Jim definitely coached 4 defenders in the warm up - fourfourtwo has it spot on.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Login to get fewer ads

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:50 - Feb 12 with 3597 views442Dale

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:47 - Feb 12 by fourfourtwo

As the original poster said all the warm ups were one with a four man defensive unit, which Odoh wasn’t involved in.

Mullarkey played a similar role as last week, difference was where Odoh was able to play in relation to Seriki.

The defensive set up allows for Mullarkey to cover wide, Bentley responds to a question about “centre back pairing” by talking about Mullarkey… though he should have put the interviewer right and mentioned Taylor too.

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:59 - Feb 12 with 3573 viewsfourfourtwo

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:50 - Feb 12 by 442Dale

Mullarkey played a similar role as last week, difference was where Odoh was able to play in relation to Seriki.

The defensive set up allows for Mullarkey to cover wide, Bentley responds to a question about “centre back pairing” by talking about Mullarkey… though he should have put the interviewer right and mentioned Taylor too.

I completely agree that Mullarkey has given the option to be fluid mid game and change shape, assume that’s why Odoh is getting the nod as well because he can slip straight into a wing back role.

To say Odoh played wingback yesterday and we played with a back five certainly isn’t correct and certainly not what I witnessed. Other than late on in the game.

The opening 15 minutes when we were bombing was as 4-4-2 a side you’d ever see. You’d think we’d identify with this given our usernames!
Start of the Bentley era? on 11:01 - Feb 12 with 3556 views442Dale

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:59 - Feb 12 by fourfourtwo

I completely agree that Mullarkey has given the option to be fluid mid game and change shape, assume that’s why Odoh is getting the nod as well because he can slip straight into a wing back role.

To say Odoh played wingback yesterday and we played with a back five certainly isn’t correct and certainly not what I witnessed. Other than late on in the game.

The opening 15 minutes when we were bombing was as 4-4-2 a side you’d ever see. You’d think we’d identify with this given our usernames!

It wasn’t a back five, no. It was three central defenders with one given the licence to carry the ball forward as Bentley mentions.

Start of the Bentley era? on 11:30 - Feb 12 with 3464 viewsisitme

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:47 - Feb 12 by fourfourtwo

I must have been watching a different game than you as we clearly played with 3 centre backs, 3 in midfield and two up top. Mullarkey did push on as he is more confortable than Taylor doing so and Lloyd was definately on the left hand side of a midfield three.
Start of the Bentley era? on 11:50 - Feb 12 with 3386 viewsD_Alien

Start of the Bentley era? on 11:01 - Feb 12 by 442Dale

It wasn’t a back five, no. It was three central defenders with one given the licence to carry the ball forward as Bentley mentions.

Precisely, and as i originally posted

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:02 - Feb 12 with 3316 viewsdingdangblue

Start of the Bentley era? on 10:32 - Feb 12 by fourfourtwo

Who were the 4 then?
Mullarkey,Bennett,Taylor and...

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:04 - Feb 12 with 3300 views442Dale

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:02 - Feb 12 by dingdangblue

Who were the 4 then?

Tom Kennedy.

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:06 - Feb 12 with 3297 viewsD_Alien

The takeaway from all this is that, due to the better quality we now have at the back, Bentley has been able to introduce a system which provides flexibility and gives the opposition summat to think about rather than reading us like a kids comic

We've been crying out for these types of in-game options since BBM's time

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:17 - Feb 12 with 3254 views442Dale

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:06 - Feb 12 by D_Alien

The takeaway from all this is that, due to the better quality we now have at the back, Bentley has been able to introduce a system which provides flexibility and gives the opposition summat to think about rather than reading us like a kids comic

We've been crying out for these types of in-game options since BBM's time

In Stockdale’s defence, no pun intended, that’s what he was trying to achieve with the signing of John and we saw brief glimpses of that in pre season when he set up Henderson v Port Vale. Unfortunately, he proved not to be good enough on the ball either carrying it forward or with his passing.

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:23 - Feb 12 with 3239 viewsD_Alien

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:17 - Feb 12 by 442Dale

In Stockdale’s defence, no pun intended, that’s what he was trying to achieve with the signing of John and we saw brief glimpses of that in pre season when he set up Henderson v Port Vale. Unfortunately, he proved not to be good enough on the ball either carrying it forward or with his passing.

I didn't see that, just as i didn't see our "warm up" yesterday - perhaps intended for the opposition to watch?

I wonder though if John might look a different player with better team-mates? The one fly in the CB ointment is Taylor being played as a right-footed left CB. He can use his left foot but not with the same facility. Overall, defensively, he's doing what's required although some people don't rate him. John would be the other option though (other than McNulty, that is)

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:33 - Feb 12 with 3185 viewsdingdangblue

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:04 - Feb 12 by 442Dale

Tom Kennedy.

Maybe he was counting McNulty.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:48 - Feb 12 with 3138 viewsEllDale

The man on the left was Dodgson.
But was he playing leftback or left wingback?
Start of the Bentley era? on 12:58 - Feb 12 with 3090 viewsD_Alien

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:48 - Feb 12 by EllDale

The man on the left was Dodgson.
But was he playing leftback or left wingback?

He's contributed enough further up the pitch (including taking shots on the edge of the box) in the games i've seen him to be seen as a wingback

How that role plays out in each game will depend on the opposition (especially if they have an effective right-sided forward). Clearly, Odoh on the other wing has a more forward-minded approach but that's not unusual in a pair of wingbacks at our level

Just as a side-note, it was disappointing when he got to the byline yesterday to see him hoofing the cross out of the play, but overall he's part of the improved and more flexible setup

Start of the Bentley era? on 13:26 - Feb 12 with 3003 viewsfourfourtwo

Start of the Bentley era? on 12:02 - Feb 12 by dingdangblue

Who were the 4 then?

Dodgson obviously with Lloyd in front?

Odoh was absolutely not playing as a wingback for the majority of that game yesterday.

Some of you are trying to make mountains out of molehills here trying to over complicate a simple formation.

W played predominantly with a back four throughout, until very late in the game.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 13:30]
Start of the Bentley era? on 13:32 - Feb 12 with 2966 viewsfourfourtwo

Start of the Bentley era? on 11:30 - Feb 12 by isitme

I must have been watching a different game than you as we clearly played with 3 centre backs, 3 in midfield and two up top. Mullarkey did push on as he is more confortable than Taylor doing so and Lloyd was definately on the left hand side of a midfield three.

At what point was Lloyd in a midfield 3? We had Bennett and Diagouraga in the middle and Odoh and Lloyd playing out wide.

Hence why Lloyd was back to his best, because he wasn’t being asked to play centrally.
Start of the Bentley era? on 13:37 - Feb 12 with 2946 views442Dale

Start of the Bentley era? on 13:32 - Feb 12 by fourfourtwo

At what point was Lloyd in a midfield 3? We had Bennett and Diagouraga in the middle and Odoh and Lloyd playing out wide.

Hence why Lloyd was back to his best, because he wasn’t being asked to play centrally.

Lloyd was playing wider but given freedom again. Henderson also drifted left quite a bit. It was a very flexible formation that allowed players to be effective in their best areas of the pitch when we went forward: Mullarkey stepping in, Lloyd able to get wide, Henderson being in the box when it mattered.

Start of the Bentley era? on 13:39 - Feb 12 with 2941 views442Dale

Start of the Bentley era? on 13:26 - Feb 12 by fourfourtwo

Dodgson obviously with Lloyd in front?

Odoh was absolutely not playing as a wingback for the majority of that game yesterday.

Some of you are trying to make mountains out of molehills here trying to over complicate a simple formation.

W played predominantly with a back four throughout, until very late in the game.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 13:30]

Sorry missed this.

Not sure it’s mountains out of molehills, more people saying what they saw and going off what the manager said after as well. It’s no big thing at all, we found a way to get the most out of players, that’s the main thing.

Edit: in fact watching out goal gives the best reflection of how we lined up. The three centra at the back, Odoh higher up than Dodgson, midfield of Diagouraga, Keohane and Lloyd coming into central areas when he deems necessary (he contributes to the goal by forcing it on), Henderson and Quigley up front.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 13:45]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024