Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SACK Bentley! 16:48 - Feb 18 with 29803 viewsClivert

It is literally our last roll of the dice now!
SACK Bentley! on 22:26 - Feb 21 with 3254 viewsSheffield_dale

I'm now a convert to this idea unfortunately. It's curtains.

If gardening leave is possible, do that.

Tony Ellis in charge for me, blood a few youngsters along with those in contract next year to give us the best chance.

Someone like Dos Santos may get a few goals and attract a fee.

At least give me something to be proud of
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 22:29]
SACK Bentley! on 22:28 - Feb 21 with 3203 viewsEllDale

Or Jordan Scanlon?
A full time professional who probably wonders what he has to do to get a game?
SACK Bentley! on 22:39 - Feb 21 with 3033 viewssweetcorn

We're pretty much down at this point, but the club need to pull the trigger and get rid of Bentley now. Do the club really trust him next season? If the answer is no, get someone in who can assess the squad now and try to start the ball rolling on the culling of the deadwood as early as possible.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

SACK Bentley! on 22:49 - Feb 21 with 2913 viewsfourfourtwo

His position is completely untenable, a change must be made.
SACK Bentley! on 22:50 - Feb 21 with 2890 viewsTalkingSutty

SACK Bentley! on 22:39 - Feb 21 by sweetcorn

We're pretty much down at this point, but the club need to pull the trigger and get rid of Bentley now. Do the club really trust him next season? If the answer is no, get someone in who can assess the squad now and try to start the ball rolling on the culling of the deadwood as early as possible.

Agree, we won't be appointing a manager with the expectation of avoiding relegation because this bunch of players aren't capable of doing that, they are bottom of the league on merit. The sooner we appoint a manager the better chance we give ourselves of hitting the ground running next season. A manager who has experience and contacts and somebody who has also managed at National League level. It's too big a gamble to start giving the job to a rookie, it's going to need a big turn around in players and somebody who knows the type of players required.Start the process in the morning not at the end of the season.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 22:54]
SACK Bentley! on 23:43 - Feb 21 with 2636 viewsThreeLions

SACK Bentley! on 22:26 - Feb 21 by Sheffield_dale

I'm now a convert to this idea unfortunately. It's curtains.

If gardening leave is possible, do that.

Tony Ellis in charge for me, blood a few youngsters along with those in contract next year to give us the best chance.

Someone like Dos Santos may get a few goals and attract a fee.

At least give me something to be proud of
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 22:29]

Unless there's been a change Tony Ellis has never wanted to be in charge. More than happy with his current role. That came from the mouth of a former youth team player who has gone onto playing at a decent level
SACK Bentley! on 23:48 - Feb 21 with 2618 viewsTomRAFC

SACK Bentley! on 23:43 - Feb 21 by ThreeLions

Unless there's been a change Tony Ellis has never wanted to be in charge. More than happy with his current role. That came from the mouth of a former youth team player who has gone onto playing at a decent level

I've heard similar. When Hill was sacked, BBM and Ellis were announced as joint caretakers but it was BBM who actually took the job. Ellis' appointment as joint caretaker seemed to be forgotten almost instantly.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

SACK Bentley! on 23:57 - Feb 21 with 2562 viewsbluevein64

SACK Bentley! on 22:39 - Feb 21 by sweetcorn

No disrespect Sweetcorn but it's easier said than done, how do we "cull the deadwood" where will they go, who will have then ? those players (I totally agree - deadwood) whom are on lucrative contracts until summer 2024 aren't going to leave the Club of their own accord , they're going to sit tight and draw their wages right up until their contract ends, of course those "deadwood" players may or may not start pulling out all the stops for another manager, although personally I can't see that happening (thats players pulling out stops, not getting another manager) the only alternative option is to face the financial consequences of terminating their contracts, others whom contribute to this forum may feel that we have more options however, as I see it I'm afraid we are stuck with a pile of rotting deadwood!
Login to get fewer ads

SACK Bentley! on 00:13 - Feb 22 with 2484 viewsHopwoodblue

One way or another it’s going to cost us, either to pay Bentley off or lose a substantial amount of season ticket sales for next year if he’s still manager.
It obvious things won’t change with him in charge so please relieve him of his duties now as I dread to think what the actual attendance will be at Spotland come April if he’s still here.
Good luck trying to justify putting season ticket prices up for next season with the current entertainment on offer.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

SACK Bentley! on 00:58 - Feb 22 with 2364 viewsSandyman

SACK Bentley! on 00:13 - Feb 22 by Hopwoodblue

One way or another it’s going to cost us, either to pay Bentley off or lose a substantial amount of season ticket sales for next year if he’s still manager.
It obvious things won’t change with him in charge so please relieve him of his duties now as I dread to think what the actual attendance will be at Spotland come April if he’s still here.
Good luck trying to justify putting season ticket prices up for next season with the current entertainment on offer.

Yes, we didn't get battered as expected last night, but we still lost. Again.

Talking to people before and after games in the past couple of months when the inevitability of relegation has become clear, a suprising number say they will still get a season card for 2023/24 in the National League. Most of our support is hardcore(we'd have nowt otherwise) will stick by the club.

The deadwood - we are stuck with them and their ridiculous contracts, but just you watch how good they become from about February next year when their contracts, easy money and careers are about to end with the most awful of references on their CV's. We'll have some superstars in the team then.

Some of us have played "Bentley Bingo" on the post-match interview tonight. Easy points were won. It's rinse and repeat every week. Every cliché was used. All about the next game, that got us the result of the last game when it was the next game, that got us the result of the last game when it was the next game, that got us the result of the last game when it was the next game, that got us the result of the last game when it was the next game and repeat. The only stats that matter are points on the board and league position.

In game stats for this and that don't count for anything in a league table but they are being used by this manager and the previous two as a distraction for not getting results. It doesn't wash.

If stats are the be all and end all, how does one league win in the last 15 games and a total of 6 points out of a possible 45 look? Unacceptable is the answer.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2023 2:03]
SACK Bentley! on 05:54 - Feb 22 with 2182 viewsfourfourtwo

SACK Bentley! on 23:43 - Feb 21 by ThreeLions

With the way things are going and the fact that the academy funding will disappear within 24 months, Ellis might not have a job to be comfortable in, such is the magnitude of our current plight.

The same could be said for many other employees of the club as well as hospitality staff.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2023 7:17]
SACK Bentley! on 06:39 - Feb 22 with 2106 viewsfitzochris

SACK Bentley! on 00:58 - Feb 22 by Sandyman

Yes, we didn't get battered as expected last night, but we still lost. Again.

Talking to people before and after games in the past couple of months when the inevitability of relegation has become clear, a suprising number say they will still get a season card for 2023/24 in the National League. Most of our support is hardcore(we'd have nowt otherwise) will stick by the club.

The deadwood - we are stuck with them and their ridiculous contracts, but just you watch how good they become from about February next year when their contracts, easy money and careers are about to end with the most awful of references on their CV's. We'll have some superstars in the team then.

Some of us have played "Bentley Bingo" on the post-match interview tonight. Easy points were won. It's rinse and repeat every week. Every cliché was used. All about the next game, that got us the result of the last game when it was the next game, that got us the result of the last game when it was the next game, that got us the result of the last game when it was the next game, that got us the result of the last game when it was the next game and repeat. The only stats that matter are points on the board and league position.

In game stats for this and that don't count for anything in a league table but they are being used by this manager and the previous two as a distraction for not getting results. It doesn't wash.

If stats are the be all and end all, how does one league win in the last 15 games and a total of 6 points out of a possible 45 look? Unacceptable is the answer.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2023 2:03]

Thirty-five crosses against Gillingham, he said triumphantly. How many of those crosses led to the goalkeeper being tested? Or, more importantly, a goal?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

SACK Bentley! on 06:51 - Feb 22 with 2076 viewsrichfoad32

SACK Bentley! on 06:39 - Feb 22 by fitzochris

Thirty-five crosses against Gillingham, he said triumphantly. How many of those crosses led to the goalkeeper being tested? Or, more importantly, a goal?

I watched that on iFollow and I remember that the stats at the end had us at 2/29 successful crosses, it's stuck with me because it seemed so mind bogglingly pathetic. I'm not even sure what constitutes a 'successful cross' because as you say, I can't recall anyone getting on the end of anything.
SACK Bentley! on 07:39 - Feb 22 with 1967 viewsD_Alien

SACK Bentley! on 06:51 - Feb 22 by richfoad32

I watched that on iFollow and I remember that the stats at the end had us at 2/29 successful crosses, it's stuck with me because it seemed so mind bogglingly pathetic. I'm not even sure what constitutes a 'successful cross' because as you say, I can't recall anyone getting on the end of anything.

One of the most notable things about Stockport was the way they looked to get crosses into the box at every available opportunity

No, they didn't score from them, but they were mainly high quality and put us under constant pressure, which tells in the end

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

SACK Bentley! on 07:53 - Feb 22 with 1914 viewsSheffield_dale

SACK Bentley! on 05:54 - Feb 22 by fourfourtwo

With the way things are going and the fact that the academy funding will disappear within 24 months, Ellis might not have a job to be comfortable in, such is the magnitude of our current plight.

The same could be said for many other employees of the club as well as hospitality staff.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2023 7:17]

Excellent point. He may not have a choice.

We may be forced to streamline everything.

Ask Ellis to run the club how he's ran the (maybe soon to be defunct) youth system or maybe integrate them/bring both under one roof. Hendo as player/assistant manager who could handle media duties. Cost effective way of streamlining but avoiding skills drain.

I'd be right behind this concept and would bring back some of the Rochdale DNA we used to have.
SACK Bentley! on 08:02 - Feb 22 with 1878 viewsJimmyRustler

After having a shite nights sleep and reflecting on things, I am of the opinion he absolutely needs to go before our next game.

You can only put up with the mitigation of the “this isn’t my team bollocks” if you’ve seen any signs of improvement or future prospect.

This, coupled with his absolutely abysmal statistical record makes his position untenable IMO.

What has he shown that makes anyone confident that he is the right man to lead us in the conference next year?

Nothing.

He doesn’t even have significant experience at the level and actually ballsed up at Fylde last time he was down there (with a fairly tidy budget from what you can gather).

If we were to get rid, I have a feeling that the club would promote from within to save a wage. As uninspiring as McNulty’s brief tenure was, at least he appears to command the respect of the players and knows what it’s like to put everything on the line for the shirt.
SACK Bentley! on 08:48 - Feb 22 with 1749 viewsCedar_Room

SACK Bentley! on 08:02 - Feb 22 by JimmyRustler

After having a shite nights sleep and reflecting on things, I am of the opinion he absolutely needs to go before our next game.

You can only put up with the mitigation of the “this isn’t my team bollocks” if you’ve seen any signs of improvement or future prospect.

This, coupled with his absolutely abysmal statistical record makes his position untenable IMO.

What has he shown that makes anyone confident that he is the right man to lead us in the conference next year?

Nothing.

He doesn’t even have significant experience at the level and actually ballsed up at Fylde last time he was down there (with a fairly tidy budget from what you can gather).

If we were to get rid, I have a feeling that the club would promote from within to save a wage. As uninspiring as McNulty’s brief tenure was, at least he appears to command the respect of the players and knows what it’s like to put everything on the line for the shirt.

The only thing I can say in Bentleys favour is that two of the players he has brought in - Lloyd and Mullarkey - have been our best in recent weeks. Mullarkey especially feels like a bit of a coup to have signed. They both have played with more fight and passion than the Stockdale recruits. So with a whole preseason and a big rebuild required if he could bring in players of similar quality then we might do alright. However - I can’t really argue with any of the rest of it. Our points total speaks for itself. His substitutions, team selection, tactics all leave plenty to be desired. If he gets sacked today I won’t shed any tears. Ultimately though I still feel like what’s the point? We are down and next season does not feel like it will be any better so whoever is in charge the damage has already been done.
McNulty tho would have to be a no from me. He might be a leader on the pitch but he proved he wasn’t a leader off it. His interviews showed he just does not have the leadership to be a manager so if it should go to a player I’d prefer Hendo or anyone else.
SACK Bentley! on 08:53 - Feb 22 with 1714 viewselectricblue

After watching tuesday nights Stockport match i decided not to watch anymore of JBs post match interviews.
It is practically the same after ever match..

I am now in the camp of JB as to go, and the board have a massive decision on their hands of who to try and appoint.

They need to get this next phase right.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

SACK Bentley! on 09:42 - Feb 22 with 1541 viewsTalkingSutty

SACK Bentley! on 08:02 - Feb 22 by JimmyRustler

Nothing.

What qualifies the likes of Ellis, McNulty, Henderson to take over as manager of the club? None of them have managed before.In fact Ellis managed for a very brief spell once in the non league and was sacked pretty quickly. He's managing the academy, he isn't in charge of managing the games. Mc Nulty had a few games as caretaker manager last year, his tactics and interviews were amateurish, he was just one of the lads. Next season is massive, we need a manager who knows the league we are going to be playing in and knows the type of players required at that level, young kids from the youth academy will get swallowed up and who do we have who we know is good enough anyway? None of them are knocking in the door at present. To just say let's gave A/B/C the job because they have been at the club a while and they can bring some of the youth players in is underestimating the work that needs to be done I think. I know it worked with Keith Hill but he was a one off. Trusting next seasons budget with the names mentioned would be madness, once it's gone it's gone.
SACK Bentley! on 09:57 - Feb 22 with 1463 viewssnuffler

For me there were only 3 or 4 players who should be paid this week namely Danny Lloyd, Toby Mullarkey, Owen Dodgson and Ian Henderson, the rest can get in touch with their agents and find somewhere else to steal money from and unfortunately I am including Jim Bentley in that lot.
SACK Bentley! on 10:31 - Feb 22 with 1318 viewstruenorth

SACK Bentley! on 08:48 - Feb 22 by Cedar_Room

The only thing I can say in Bentleys favour is that two of the players he has brought in - Lloyd and Mullarkey - have been our best in recent weeks. Mullarkey especially feels like a bit of a coup to have signed. They both have played with more fight and passion than the Stockdale recruits. So with a whole preseason and a big rebuild required if he could bring in players of similar quality then we might do alright. However - I can’t really argue with any of the rest of it. Our points total speaks for itself. His substitutions, team selection, tactics all leave plenty to be desired. If he gets sacked today I won’t shed any tears. Ultimately though I still feel like what’s the point? We are down and next season does not feel like it will be any better so whoever is in charge the damage has already been done.
McNulty tho would have to be a no from me. He might be a leader on the pitch but he proved he wasn’t a leader off it. His interviews showed he just does not have the leadership to be a manager so if it should go to a player I’d prefer Hendo or anyone else.

Slightly off topic, but my fear would be that when we drop, Mullarkey will depart. Too good for us, too good for the National League.

And we're a stepping stone for Lloyd.

TN

Poll: BBM or relegation?

SACK Bentley! on 10:43 - Feb 22 with 1273 viewsAtThePeake

SACK Bentley! on 09:42 - Feb 22 by TalkingSutty

What qualifies the likes of Ellis, McNulty, Henderson to take over as manager of the club? None of them have managed before.In fact Ellis managed for a very brief spell once in the non league and was sacked pretty quickly. He's managing the academy, he isn't in charge of managing the games. Mc Nulty had a few games as caretaker manager last year, his tactics and interviews were amateurish, he was just one of the lads. Next season is massive, we need a manager who knows the league we are going to be playing in and knows the type of players required at that level, young kids from the youth academy will get swallowed up and who do we have who we know is good enough anyway? None of them are knocking in the door at present. To just say let's gave A/B/C the job because they have been at the club a while and they can bring some of the youth players in is underestimating the work that needs to be done I think. I know it worked with Keith Hill but he was a one off. Trusting next seasons budget with the names mentioned would be madness, once it's gone it's gone.

I'm not in favour of promoting someone from within long-term, but I'd definitely look at letting McNulty/Henderson/Ellis take over for the rest of the season and holding off on a long-term appointment until then. Even if we know who we wish to hire in the summer, I don't think you can expect any sort of upturn with this squad in the last phase of this season, so at least by holding off on a permanent appointment for now you can allow the new manager a completely fresh start in the summer, rather than them losing the remaining games this season and having fans questioning them before they've even really had a chance to get to grips with the job.

Tangled up in blue.

SACK Bentley! on 10:47 - Feb 22 with 1257 views49thseason

I will throw a name into the mix, Jim Gannon, if only to the end of the season and as an advisor to the board in the appointment of a new manager if he isnt interested in the job.. I believe he has an accountancy qualification so he will understand the financial implications of our situation as well as anyone. He also knows lower division football and is a no-nonsense manager who has put good sides together. Maybe a bit old fashioned but I dont regard that as a bad thing when we have players whose heads are full of a lifetime of overcoaching.
SACK Bentley! on 10:55 - Feb 22 with 1222 viewsJimmyRustler

Sorry let me clarify, I meant promote from within until the end of the season.

To do so long term would be suicidal.
SACK Bentley! on 10:55 - Feb 22 with 1222 viewsSheffield_dale

Very good points. However, Bentley/Coleman were considered experienced appointments and have ended in disaster. Eyre and Stockdale as novices didn't work. Promoting from within such as Hill/BBM have been seen to work. People will scoff at the suggestion BBM wasn't a success. He isn't exempt from criticism but ultimately he kept us in league one and then was relegated with a game to go. I'd take second bottom in league 1 right now! Man City then saw something in him.

As I mentioned above, Ellis has experience managing a club. Yes that club is our academy but we can all agree he's done a good job. I do think he is the man to lead in a similar way to how he's ran the academy. Whether that be manager or director of football type role.

I'm happy to hear about realistic names that would excite me and give me hope as much as Ellis/Hendo/McNulty combo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024