Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finding the positives 14:28 - May 1 with 9876 viewsSheffield_dale

In a sea of negativity I always try and find some positives. Plus I'm putting off decluttering the house. So for what it's worth here's my two penneth.

1. We all get to to visit some new grounds. Admittedly not the best start but I'll admit I'm excited to visit the likes of Halifax and even Dorking. Plus we get a proper derby back in Oldham.

2. Is the squad actually decent for that league? The likes of O'Donnell, EEL, Keohane, Rodney and Henderson are pretty experienced league players. Sinclair, Mullarkey, Campbell and dare I say it Ball have all performed well at this level. I actually think Taylor and Graham are also decent prospects. Add in some midfield steel and maybe we can have a crack at a decent season.

3. Following on from the #2, maybe we will win a few games. It's been seemingly ages since we really grabbed a season by the balls and gave it a good go. And for the first time in a long while we are actually one of the bigger teams in the league.

4. BT sport coverage. Would be decent to see us on TV I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Appreciate the deep negatives do override the positives but does anyone else think we may actually be Ok. If not, what/who needs to happen for you to feel positive?
Finding the positives on 15:34 - May 1 with 7742 viewspioneer

Cannot say I am as optimistic as you.

We need to get some strong football nouse/experience in the club leadership. The current board is sadly lacking in that. Without it I think we are more likely to be in for another hard fight for survival
Finding the positives on 22:58 - May 1 with 7400 viewsDorkingDale

Even Dorking SheffDale?! Carry on like that and you'll be banned from the mighty Snake Pit (AKA The White Hart).

We're preparing for a weekend of fun & frivolity as I speak......the tent pitches in the back garden are nearly all taken already.
Finding the positives on 23:01 - May 1 with 7397 viewsDorkingDale

Finding the positives on 22:58 - May 1 by DorkingDale

Even Dorking SheffDale?! Carry on like that and you'll be banned from the mighty Snake Pit (AKA The White Hart).

We're preparing for a weekend of fun & frivolity as I speak......the tent pitches in the back garden are nearly all taken already.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/REI/106/white-hart-dorking
Finding the positives on 00:53 - May 2 with 7311 viewsSandyman

Finding the positives on 23:01 - May 1 by DorkingDale

Hope it isn't a Tuesday night game which could affect away attendance. Looks like a great pub.
Finding the positives on 02:00 - May 2 with 7267 viewsSandyman

Halifax away (and home) to look forward to.

The mosh in the away end when the Paddy / Kevin 1-2 got a late winning goal was indescribable. Several injuries.

Finding the positives on 11:17 - May 2 with 6884 viewsDorkingDale

Finding the positives on 00:53 - May 2 by Sandyman

Hope it isn't a Tuesday night game which could affect away attendance. Looks like a great pub.

That's my worry Sandyman - just like Orient this season. Hopefully the National League will have more intuition than the EFL organising the fixtures. I don't believe for a minute that it's all computerised.

It is a good pub - a few dodgy characters but great atmosphere at the weekend, especially when Dorking are at home. Some of the regulars in there are contemplating getting a mini bus to come up to the home fixture too.....
Finding the positives on 11:55 - May 2 with 6802 views49thseason

I think the imperative is to get off to a good start. We cannot go 9 games without a win again. It would shatter everyones confidence which is already paper thin. Nor can we be faffing about trying to find a left back or a centre forward, we need to do good, early business in the transfer market and then get a proper pre-season under the player's belts. Any loan signings can fit in as things progress, but we have to get the core of the team sorted and a method of playing embedded as early as possible. The shambles of the recruitment over the last 2 seasons must not be repeated.
If we can pick up 2 or 3 early season wins, it will give us a platform to build on and will help ticket sales and everything that goes with them.
Finding the positives on 12:02 - May 2 with 6784 viewsEllDale

Finding the positives on 11:17 - May 2 by DorkingDale

That's my worry Sandyman - just like Orient this season. Hopefully the National League will have more intuition than the EFL organising the fixtures. I don't believe for a minute that it's all computerised.

It is a good pub - a few dodgy characters but great atmosphere at the weekend, especially when Dorking are at home. Some of the regulars in there are contemplating getting a mini bus to come up to the home fixture too.....

As I understand it a lot of the longer trips in the National League are scheduled for midweek so that club's don't necessarily have to pay for overnight stays,
Login to get fewer ads

Finding the positives on 12:13 - May 2 with 6760 viewsTVOS1907

Finding the positives on 12:02 - May 2 by EllDale

As I understand it a lot of the longer trips in the National League are scheduled for midweek so that club's don't necessarily have to pay for overnight stays,

I'm not sure that's true and the fixture list for this season would confirm it.

The sheer number of southern teams in the league means it's inevitable there will be some longer midweek trips.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Finding the positives on 13:19 - May 2 with 6635 viewselectricblue

Like you Sheffield_Dale i think that Dale have a squad worth tweaking with a few additions for the midfield they could make the top4.....
Players like you have mentioned should have the experience for the NL even Sinclair and Campbell where scoring out on loan...
Brierley looks to be heading to Blackburn where hopefully Dale may get a lian out of him..
Then there are players like Scanlon(how is he doing at Rammy) and the young lad who came on on Saturday...

Yeah like i said a few tweaks and hopefully certain players stay and Dale should be ok.....

Only issue for me is who will be the manager!

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Finding the positives on 13:35 - May 2 with 6603 viewsramsdale

Finding the positives on 13:19 - May 2 by electricblue

Like you Sheffield_Dale i think that Dale have a squad worth tweaking with a few additions for the midfield they could make the top4.....
Players like you have mentioned should have the experience for the NL even Sinclair and Campbell where scoring out on loan...
Brierley looks to be heading to Blackburn where hopefully Dale may get a lian out of him..
Then there are players like Scanlon(how is he doing at Rammy) and the young lad who came on on Saturday...

Yeah like i said a few tweaks and hopefully certain players stay and Dale should be ok.....

Only issue for me is who will be the manager!

Went to watch Rammy vs Colne a few weeks back, and Scanlon was clearly a bright spark in what are two poor teams in that league.

Could 100% see him in as a squad option, but nothing to tear any trees up immediately.
Finding the positives on 13:37 - May 2 with 6598 viewsSheffdale

Finding the positives on 23:01 - May 1 by DorkingDale

For avoidance of doubt DorkingDale, Sheffdale and Sheffield_dale are two different people, similarly Dale afflicted of course and both residing in the Republic of South Yorkshire. I expect both of us would have more than a passing interest in the White Hart!
Finding the positives on 17:22 - May 2 with 6311 viewsThreeLions

Well done to the OP for starting this thread. Yes it hurts at the moment that we have been relegated out of the league but come August and the new seasons fixtures are about to begin things will seem a lot better. I know many hold the club very dear to their hearts and are wondering what is next on the horizon.

We still have a board that are continuing to put money into the club as well as asking for help with that. They have made mistakes yes but I'm sure not of it was intentional as some are clearly making out on the various social media platforms. I'm sticking my neck out here and saying let's give them a second chance it could very well be the making of the club. All this misfortune is a result of years of bad management before their tenure plus inexperience.

I will probably be classed as a 'happy clapper' by many on Facebook et all but those that know me know I'm a right miserable get at the best of times but I just have a guy feeling about this.

I maybe wrong and I will be the first to put my hand up and say I was wrong but let's get back to how things have always been a supporter base that sticks together and fights any oncoming trouble.

Right that's the most positive I've been in years so I'm going back to being a grumpy sod now.
Finding the positives on 19:04 - May 2 with 6108 viewsDorkingDale

Finding the positives on 13:37 - May 2 by Sheffdale

For avoidance of doubt DorkingDale, Sheffdale and Sheffield_dale are two different people, similarly Dale afflicted of course and both residing in the Republic of South Yorkshire. I expect both of us would have more than a passing interest in the White Hart!

Ha! Well, you'll both be very welcome in the Republic of the Dorks.......
Finding the positives on 19:33 - May 2 with 6040 viewsrafc1984

Great thread.
Although not an ideal situation, I've got my head round it. For what it's worth I think we can give it a good crack next season, Wrexham gone and if there's any justice Notts cheaty should go up, that division is a lot more of a level playing field.
Get the right man in, (not mcnulty) and a few additions and it has the making of a decent season.
Stick my neck out and if the above happens, play off place.
UTD
Finding the positives on 21:56 - May 2 with 5791 viewsRippDale

Finding the positives on 19:33 - May 2 by rafc1984

Great thread.
Although not an ideal situation, I've got my head round it. For what it's worth I think we can give it a good crack next season, Wrexham gone and if there's any justice Notts cheaty should go up, that division is a lot more of a level playing field.
Get the right man in, (not mcnulty) and a few additions and it has the making of a decent season.
UTD

I am mildly optimistic if we can get the next crucial decisions right. It's a great chance for the club to reset on and off the field. Take on board some of the great fan suggestions that have come about recently. On the field have a big clear out and change the ethos of the last 5 seasons of turgid losing football. Try to appoint a Micky Mellon/Darrell Clarke type manager and get fans excited to attend games again.

The BT tv coverage is really good and we get away from the dire stewardship of the EFL.

Finally, there is the trip to the Shay
Finding the positives on 23:18 - May 2 with 5633 viewsnordenblue

One positive is Quigley scored an OG for Stockport tonight instead of pissing us lot off.....
Finding the positives on 11:31 - May 3 with 5341 viewsA_Newby

Finding the positives on 19:33 - May 2 by rafc1984

Great thread.
UTD

I agree that with two of the better financed and supported teams being promoted, that the National League being more of a level playing field next season.

Off on a slight tangent, I think that the next two seasons could be our best chance to get promoted back to the EFL from the National League. I’m not saying it’s a very good chance and that we will easily gain promotion, just that it will be our best chance for years to come unless we can get a significant cash inflow from an “investor”.

My reasons for this are mainly financial. In general, the greater a playing budget a club can afford the better is the squad and team, providing that the management spend it wisely.

In the upcoming season (2023/4) we and Hartlepool will receive a “parachute” payment of around £5-600,000 from the EFL so we will have a certain financial advantage over most of the other teams in the National league, if we spend it prudently, we could attract better players than other clubs.

In the subsequent season (2024/25) we receive our final EFL “parachute” payment of about £250-300,000. By then however, there is a good chance that under pressure from the yet to be appointed government football regulator there will be three promotions from the National league to the EFL league 2.

On another note, I was talking to a friend who supports Boston United. He said, in his opinion and experience, the best way to survive and thrive in non-league is to start the season with a small squad but with the strongest first team you can afford. Do not carry the expense of a large squad and instead retain as much cash in reserve as you can.

If you have cash reserves, as there are no transfer windows you can strengthen your team at any time in the season, for example if a key player suffers a medium — long term injury or if a striker is needed for a promotion push.
Finding the positives on 13:16 - May 3 with 5180 viewsSaxonDale

Finding the positives on 11:31 - May 3 by A_Newby

I agree that with two of the better financed and supported teams being promoted, that the National League being more of a level playing field next season.

Off on a slight tangent, I think that the next two seasons could be our best chance to get promoted back to the EFL from the National League. I’m not saying it’s a very good chance and that we will easily gain promotion, just that it will be our best chance for years to come unless we can get a significant cash inflow from an “investor”.

My reasons for this are mainly financial. In general, the greater a playing budget a club can afford the better is the squad and team, providing that the management spend it wisely.

In the upcoming season (2023/4) we and Hartlepool will receive a “parachute” payment of around £5-600,000 from the EFL so we will have a certain financial advantage over most of the other teams in the National league, if we spend it prudently, we could attract better players than other clubs.

In the subsequent season (2024/25) we receive our final EFL “parachute” payment of about £250-300,000. By then however, there is a good chance that under pressure from the yet to be appointed government football regulator there will be three promotions from the National league to the EFL league 2.

On another note, I was talking to a friend who supports Boston United. He said, in his opinion and experience, the best way to survive and thrive in non-league is to start the season with a small squad but with the strongest first team you can afford. Do not carry the expense of a large squad and instead retain as much cash in reserve as you can.

If you have cash reserves, as there are no transfer windows you can strengthen your team at any time in the season, for example if a key player suffers a medium — long term injury or if a striker is needed for a promotion push.

Agreed. Also think that whilst we we still have a bit of dross in the league, a few of our contracted players should be up there with the better players in the league if coached well.
Finding the positives on 13:28 - May 3 with 5166 views49thseason

Finding the positives on 13:16 - May 3 by SaxonDale

Agreed. Also think that whilst we we still have a bit of dross in the league, a few of our contracted players should be up there with the better players in the league if coached well.

Pace is what differentiates the divisions, having attacking pace is a major requirement for us. Two wingers and a pacey striker would be at the top of my list with a midfield " General" . Oh and a left back, our perennial problem area.?
Finding the positives on 22:50 - May 3 with 4906 viewspioneer

Finding the positives on 11:31 - May 3 by A_Newby

Only 5 subs in NL compared to 7 in EFL so some relief there.
Finding the positives on 08:33 - May 4 with 4750 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

The squad we have at present would struggle in the NL. The standard of the top dozen clubs are on a par with L2. Don't let the last home game fool you, as Sutton were clearly already on the beach and the sending off weakened them further. Other than Brierley and Rodney there isn't a single player I would keep for next season. We need a complete clear out, backroom and club staff included. There are far too many staff employed to do the job that two thirds of that number used to do.
Getting an experienced manager in place before the end of this month is essential or we will follow Scunthorpe United into oblivion.
Finding the positives on 09:04 - May 4 with 4726 viewsleedsdale

Finding the positives on 08:33 - May 4 by RooleyMoorBlue

The squad we have at present would struggle in the NL. The standard of the top dozen clubs are on a par with L2. Don't let the last home game fool you, as Sutton were clearly already on the beach and the sending off weakened them further. Other than Brierley and Rodney there isn't a single player I would keep for next season. We need a complete clear out, backroom and club staff included. There are far too many staff employed to do the job that two thirds of that number used to do.
Getting an experienced manager in place before the end of this month is essential or we will follow Scunthorpe United into oblivion.

If they’re the positives, pass me the razor blades.
Finding the positives on 13:06 - May 4 with 4563 viewspioneer

Of the last 10 teams relegated to national league only 2 have returned.
Finding the positives on 13:40 - May 4 with 4510 viewsD_Alien

Finding the positives on 13:06 - May 4 by pioneer

Of the last 10 teams relegated to national league only 2 have returned.

It'd be interesting to look at the overall return rate, to see if there's a significant trend
[Post edited 4 May 2023 16:19]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024