Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? 15:04 - May 26 with 26107 viewsTalkingSutty

In just over a months time the players will be reporting back for pre-season training, the fans are currently in the dark regarding what to expect next season. Is there anybody actually running the club at the moment and could our Chairman please start to show some sort of leadership qualities? As a shareholder I'm now wondering if those in the Boardroom are fit for purpose, I can't be the only one thinking along those lines. If they can't take us any further then please say and let's see if as shareholders/the Trust/ fans we can source others to run the club ( it doesn't have to be Chris Dunphy etc). I would like to see a EGM called because at the moment the club is going down the plug hole and the silence is deafening. It seems to me that the only ambition that the Chairman and Directors now have is to find a investor and what happens on and off the pitch is secondary.
[Post edited 26 May 2023 15:32]
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 12:20 - May 30 with 3067 viewselectricblue

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 19:55 - May 29 by 49thseason

Sometimes you just have to make a start and force the issue.
Its a simple 5 minute phone call and an email confirmation with art work attached.
If they won't do that, it tells us all we need to know and we put the Trusts Director onto the case.
Whichever way you look at it the Trust doing this sort of simple fundraising means someone else doesn't have to do it. There are the best part of 1000 trust members who can take a fixture list into their local chip shop, hairdressers and pub, and who are ideal candidates for buying a calendar and a couple of packs of Christmas cards. Its quick, simple and relatively cheap way of making money .
The club would struggle with this sort of stuff simply because they do not have the volunteer base. they would just put them in the shop and hope for the best.
But someone needs to get on with it between now and the fixtures being announced or its too late, same goes for calendars and Christmas cards, not to mention Christmas parties, meals etc. which are already booking up in some places. The early bird and all that....

Is there a graphic designer here with half an hour to spare?

Anybody know what the capacity is for the function room/s are!

Can we generate some interest amongst the trust members to see how many would be interested in going to a christmas party...

Just an idea to raise funds etc allong with the calender and christmas cards to use the money in purchasing more shares to help the club.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 13:13 - May 30 with 2931 viewsDaleiLama

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 12:20 - May 30 by electricblue

Anybody know what the capacity is for the function room/s are!

Can we generate some interest amongst the trust members to see how many would be interested in going to a christmas party...

Just an idea to raise funds etc allong with the calender and christmas cards to use the money in purchasing more shares to help the club.....

Even "a 7yr (old who) as been on his parents laptop" could find that out from the OS.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/commercial/events/

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/november/eventsatrochdaleafc

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 14:15 - May 30 with 2821 viewselectricblue

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 13:13 - May 30 by DaleiLama

Even "a 7yr (old who) as been on his parents laptop" could find that out from the OS.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/commercial/events/

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/november/eventsatrochdaleafc

Well good on the 7yr old and his parents for having a laptop....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 14:21 - May 30 with 2810 viewsJames1980

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 20:33 - May 30 with 2446 viewspioneer

Having watched the Dale for almost 60 years now aims and ambitions at Spotland have rarely extended beyond 'survival'...the rare exception being the period under Dunphy's leadership.

This covered both financial survival as a professional club and survival in the football league.

We have always been sellers in the first instance often at the most inappropriate time from a footballing perspective (we are all familiar with relatively recent sales....perhaps Done to Sheff U being the most 'costly' in footballing terms) but that goes back to players like paul crossley. laurie calloway, Les Green, Bobby Mountford etc etc.

The difference now is that football league status has been lost, and financial survival seems to be the first and last aim of the current leadership, though its not clear what strategies they are adopting to achieve that.

The Board do not have the skill sets or experience for achieving any new footballing aims or objectives....its not clear if they have the skill sets to achieve financial survival either.
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 20:41 - May 30 with 2428 viewsJames1980

I hope I am wrong but it seems the attitude of the board is 'dont question or make suggestions to us, peasants'

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 22:37 - May 30 with 2302 viewsD_Alien

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 20:33 - May 30 by pioneer

Having watched the Dale for almost 60 years now aims and ambitions at Spotland have rarely extended beyond 'survival'...the rare exception being the period under Dunphy's leadership.

This covered both financial survival as a professional club and survival in the football league.

We have always been sellers in the first instance often at the most inappropriate time from a footballing perspective (we are all familiar with relatively recent sales....perhaps Done to Sheff U being the most 'costly' in footballing terms) but that goes back to players like paul crossley. laurie calloway, Les Green, Bobby Mountford etc etc.

The difference now is that football league status has been lost, and financial survival seems to be the first and last aim of the current leadership, though its not clear what strategies they are adopting to achieve that.

The Board do not have the skill sets or experience for achieving any new footballing aims or objectives....its not clear if they have the skill sets to achieve financial survival either.

A follow-on to that would be: do they have the skills sets to determine who might or might not be good custodians of Dale should they allow a majority shareholding to new investors

Never any guarantees of course, which is why i use the word "might" but imo not having that skill set follows on from those you describe

I've also yet to see any evidence that the Trust will have any real input prior to such a sale. If the money is put on the table, and it appears to be 'clean' money (but not through laundering...) i can't for the life of me see how the Trust could have any veto, which is what we're really talking about here. It's the directors own finances that would be at stake

This is why there are no clear aims and ambitions on the table - there can't be, given the simple aim of divesting themselves of the position that would require them to set them

In many ways, it's perfectly understandable. In others, it's an abomination

[Post edited 30 May 2023 22:42]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 23:56 - May 30 with 2239 viewspioneer

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 22:37 - May 30 by D_Alien

A follow-on to that would be: do they have the skills sets to determine who might or might not be good custodians of Dale should they allow a majority shareholding to new investors

Never any guarantees of course, which is why i use the word "might" but imo not having that skill set follows on from those you describe

I've also yet to see any evidence that the Trust will have any real input prior to such a sale. If the money is put on the table, and it appears to be 'clean' money (but not through laundering...) i can't for the life of me see how the Trust could have any veto, which is what we're really talking about here. It's the directors own finances that would be at stake

This is why there are no clear aims and ambitions on the table - there can't be, given the simple aim of divesting themselves of the position that would require them to set them

In many ways, it's perfectly understandable. In others, it's an abomination

[Post edited 30 May 2023 22:42]

Agree with that, but we should remember that the fans have financially more skin in the game than any board member… The trust are the largest shareholder, thats even after the board members bought out the shysters shares. Add to that the many fans individual shareholdings.

It appears that the board seem to see their share purchases as some sort of investment with an expectation of a return, or at least getting their money back whereas the fans see their shareholding as a financial contribution to the survival of the club ( in addition to their purchases of season tickets, matchday tickets, etc)
Login to get fewer ads

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 00:05 - May 31 with 2218 viewsD_Alien

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 23:56 - May 30 by pioneer

Agree with that, but we should remember that the fans have financially more skin in the game than any board member… The trust are the largest shareholder, thats even after the board members bought out the shysters shares. Add to that the many fans individual shareholdings.

It appears that the board seem to see their share purchases as some sort of investment with an expectation of a return, or at least getting their money back whereas the fans see their shareholding as a financial contribution to the survival of the club ( in addition to their purchases of season tickets, matchday tickets, etc)

That's how it looks on the face of it, but supposing a challenge was made by a combination of Trust shares and all those whose individual shareholdings meant they could theoretically have a motion carried at an EGM expressing no confidence in the current board

Where would that leave us? The board would simply withdraw any further active interest and be far more inclined to sell up to the first bidder. That appears to be the bind we find ourselves in

if anyone sees it differently, please do share

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 01:52 - May 31 with 2184 viewsSandyman

To be honest, I haven't a clue where the directors / club are heading, or where the investment(s) of person(s) unknown will lead. IMHO those directors who have put money in to procure the Morton House shares (thanks Mr "I've been a fan for 50 years" for lumbering RAFC with that anchor) are in for the long haul rather than personal gain. They could sell, individually, to shysters with ease. They haven't, so far. If their commitment is long term, thanks.

I see the Trust making a sterling effort, on a totally voluntary basis to find out what the fans are thinking and how they can assist. How the board react will speak volumes.

I'm hoping a sense of direction will evolve ASAP, off the pitch (we think about this too much but it's a good thing we do - bury etc etc) and on. IMHO what happens ON the pitch in the next 12 months will define the future of RAFC. Over the years, we've seen the good, bad, indifferent and $h1t€. Unless the football is consistently good and can attract lifelong fans of the future, what is the point? Otherwise, we slowly turn in to, along with many others, the next Barnstoneworth United. It's up to the board and we are all watching. Here's the story of Barnstoneworth United if you don't know

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 07:37 - May 31 with 2077 viewsNorthernDale

I may be repeating myself, but I believe the board took over the club at a difficult time and led us through troubled waters in terms of the financial and ownership of our beloved club, which they deserve credit. However in many ways they be naive and well intentioned, but at times they appear amateurism in some ways, in taking on board the ideas of fans or accepting the help of people like Dunphy, who i would like to think, like them, have the interest of the club at heart, because they are also fans.

But, seeking to stabilise the clubs finances, must also in my humble opinion, go hand in hand with good football and a degree of success. Putting last season aside, they must show this season they have the desire and ambition to bring success back to the club, through recruitment of the right players to aim for at least the playoffs for example. I can understand reducing the players budget due to financial reasons and appointing McNulty, which some may suggest was also due to financial reasons. However a reduced budget could impact on player recruitment, which could impact on footballing success, which then impacts on crowds attending games at Spotland, and as a consequence income, so following season the budget is reduced further and the circle of failure continues. So the recruitment in the coming weeks may be an indictment of ambition or a lack of ambition of the club, in my case the jury is out for the time being, because as I have indicted the board have to tread a fine line between financial stability and success on the field, with debt spiralling out of control, but they should listen to other people to achieve the first scenario.
[Post edited 31 May 2023 7:49]
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 08:02 - May 31 with 2045 viewspioneer

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 01:52 - May 31 by Sandyman

To be honest, I haven't a clue where the directors / club are heading, or where the investment(s) of person(s) unknown will lead. IMHO those directors who have put money in to procure the Morton House shares (thanks Mr "I've been a fan for 50 years" for lumbering RAFC with that anchor) are in for the long haul rather than personal gain. They could sell, individually, to shysters with ease. They haven't, so far. If their commitment is long term, thanks.

I see the Trust making a sterling effort, on a totally voluntary basis to find out what the fans are thinking and how they can assist. How the board react will speak volumes.

I'm hoping a sense of direction will evolve ASAP, off the pitch (we think about this too much but it's a good thing we do - bury etc etc) and on. IMHO what happens ON the pitch in the next 12 months will define the future of RAFC. Over the years, we've seen the good, bad, indifferent and $h1t€. Unless the football is consistently good and can attract lifelong fans of the future, what is the point? Otherwise, we slowly turn in to, along with many others, the next Barnstoneworth United. It's up to the board and we are all watching. Here's the story of Barnstoneworth United if you don't know

I think that episode was aired in 1980…the year we finished bottom of the league….it is so Rochdale.
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 08:07 - May 31 with 2037 viewsTalkingSutty

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 00:05 - May 31 by D_Alien

That's how it looks on the face of it, but supposing a challenge was made by a combination of Trust shares and all those whose individual shareholdings meant they could theoretically have a motion carried at an EGM expressing no confidence in the current board

Where would that leave us? The board would simply withdraw any further active interest and be far more inclined to sell up to the first bidder. That appears to be the bind we find ourselves in

if anyone sees it differently, please do share

If that happened then a new board would have already had to have been sourced and they would be ready to step in with a plan in place. There maybe are ways of accessing money to pay back Simon and the Directors, remortgage the stadium or maybe ask RMBC to purchase it as a community asset and rent it back to the football and rugby club. Oldham and Bury council have just piled money into both their clubs. Losing both sporting codes is a situation that RMBC couldn't allow to happen and The Rochdale Community Stadium might be a option that they would buy into. I don't have faith in this board to even explore that option properly, alongside representatives from Hornets.

If the current Chairman and Directors have no plans in place to further progress the club then what do they expect the shareholders to do? Do they expect them all to just do nothing and let the club continue a slow death? The fact they themselves haven't called a EGM to speak to shareholders is poor form. It's nothing personal towards anybody in the Boardroom but the welfare of the club is the priority and that's how shareholders/ the Trust/ supporters have to view the current predicament. We have about 500 shareholders it's about time they were fully informed as to what is happening with the club and how the Chairman and Directors intend to turn the fortunes of the club around, if they can't do that then a new board needs putting in place that does have some sort of expertise in running a football club. That would be a normal course of action to take if a business was failing. It's a conundrum but it's been made more difficult because for whatever reason those in the Boardroom have just taken it upon themselves to do what they want with the club, failing to communicate with the shareholders and the Trust and just expecting everybody to put up and shut up. We've just had all that with Bottomley and his cronies.
[Post edited 31 May 2023 9:04]
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 09:03 - May 31 with 1951 views442Dale

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2023/05/meeting-with-the-club-16-5/

It is two weeks since this meeting.

It is over four weeks since the last Trust supporters meeting.

For context, presuming the squad return to training in the first week in July, there are eight weeks from the of the season until Monday 3/7. We are approaching the halfway point of the close season.

The answers given to the Trust in the link above create further questions and lack basic detail. It is to be hoped that more information to all the queries/ideas/offers of support at the supporters meetings is provided in the June Trust newsletter, via the Trust site or, and this is important, via the club’s own media channels.

And it has to start happening very soon. The weeks are passing, the malaise is growing and when people begin to realise things continue to meander, interest is lost. To lose the interest of those who are most interested and willing to contribute positively would be on all those who know they can influence change.

It might not seem like it to those who dismiss the constructive analysis of others, but we are at a turning point in the future of the football club. History will reflect back on this summer as one of the most important in 116 years. It can’t continue like this.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 09:57 - May 31 with 1858 viewsNigelWatson

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 20:41 - May 30 by James1980

I hope I am wrong but it seems the attitude of the board is 'dont question or make suggestions to us, peasants'

Yes, you mustn't ask questions: NOT ALLOWED!
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 09:59 - May 31 with 1854 viewsNigelWatson

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 23:56 - May 30 by pioneer

Only time will tell on that

But time is REVEALING.
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 10:24 - May 31 with 1800 views442Dale

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 09:57 - May 31 by NigelWatson

It is, and maybe you can answer those put to you earlier in the thread:

Have you contacted the Trust with offers of help or any questions you’d like them to raise?

If you can’t, stop.

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 10:24 - May 31 with 1801 viewssamueloneils

The simplest and most revealing words in the Chairman`s statement were :

"There is a lack of cash coming into the Club to run the business"
A genteel way of saying "We are skint".

Assuming there are still investors still in play- if not I think we would have been told pretty quickly, what would any investor want first?

A business plan.

The most significant feature of the way the retained list was set out was that the 10 players remaining under contract (John, Rodney, Brierley, Ebanks Landell, Ball, Taylor, O`Donnell, Campbell, Mullarkey and Sinclair) were seperated from Lloyd, Kelly and Keohane.- being "remaing in talks" which suggests there were no ongoing talks with the other 10 above.

That is likely as those who are relying on their agents to come up with alternatives will surely leave their decision as late as possible before committing themselves to another season, especially if lower wages are suggested.

Why is this important?

Because we are talking about £1m+ of budget costs with insurance and player-related costs.

How can a sensible budget be set until the single biggest overhead is so unidentifiable at this stage? Before signings etc to complete a squad.

I would think this and the investor contacts is a full-time job at the moment. The new season is about 6-7 weeks away.
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 11:20 - May 31 with 1715 viewsseasidedale

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 10:24 - May 31 by samueloneils

The simplest and most revealing words in the Chairman`s statement were :

"There is a lack of cash coming into the Club to run the business"
A genteel way of saying "We are skint".

Assuming there are still investors still in play- if not I think we would have been told pretty quickly, what would any investor want first?

A business plan.

The most significant feature of the way the retained list was set out was that the 10 players remaining under contract (John, Rodney, Brierley, Ebanks Landell, Ball, Taylor, O`Donnell, Campbell, Mullarkey and Sinclair) were seperated from Lloyd, Kelly and Keohane.- being "remaing in talks" which suggests there were no ongoing talks with the other 10 above.

That is likely as those who are relying on their agents to come up with alternatives will surely leave their decision as late as possible before committing themselves to another season, especially if lower wages are suggested.

Why is this important?

Because we are talking about £1m+ of budget costs with insurance and player-related costs.

How can a sensible budget be set until the single biggest overhead is so unidentifiable at this stage? Before signings etc to complete a squad.

I would think this and the investor contacts is a full-time job at the moment. The new season is about 6-7 weeks away.

Why would we need to talk to 10 contracted players, we have transfer listed 3 of them so that’s it, things are quiet and clubs are looking at the “freebies” first
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 11:21 - May 31 with 1714 viewssxdale

Are you suggesting that the board are not first and foremost fans? I don't believe this to be the case. I bought some shares when we were facing the hostile take over. I, and I assume many others didn't buy them as an investment or to make a return, I bought the amount costing the £'s I could effectively afford to lose. When the board was formed the whole hostile takeover shenanigans hadn't raised its head. If, as is my understanding you could buy a seat on the board for approximately £20k, then it would be fair to say that the board could afford to spend £20k each to try to stear the club back in the right direction away from what (Lo)Bottomley and his cohorts were trying to do. Now they find themselves having parted with roughly x10 the amount its no wonder they need to get some of that outlay back.
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 11:30 - May 31 with 1688 viewskel

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 09:57 - May 31 by NigelWatson

Why don’t YOU answer questions, Nidge?

You’ll never go to heaven at this rate.
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 12:19 - May 31 with 1625 viewsD_Alien

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 09:03 - May 31 by 442Dale

It is two weeks since this meeting.

It is over four weeks since the last Trust supporters meeting.

For context, presuming the squad return to training in the first week in July, there are eight weeks from the of the season until Monday 3/7. We are approaching the halfway point of the close season.

The answers given to the Trust in the link above create further questions and lack basic detail. It is to be hoped that more information to all the queries/ideas/offers of support at the supporters meetings is provided in the June Trust newsletter, via the Trust site or, and this is important, via the club’s own media channels.

And it has to start happening very soon. The weeks are passing, the malaise is growing and when people begin to realise things continue to meander, interest is lost. To lose the interest of those who are most interested and willing to contribute positively would be on all those who know they can influence change.

It might not seem like it to those who dismiss the constructive analysis of others, but we are at a turning point in the future of the football club. History will reflect back on this summer as one of the most important in 116 years. It can’t continue like this.

With every day that passes, i become more convinced that only affirmative action of some kind to try to force the board's hand will suffice (i've outlined my reasons in earlier posts)

When the Trust meetings were first being discussed, it was with the need for actions to take place to shift the needle. A very useful exercise followed, but as yet, no actions

What does need clarifying is what forms of action are open to us, how might they be initiated, by whom and most importantly - to what end

Simply waiting for something to happen is allowing the drift to continue

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 12:35 - May 31 with 1572 viewssamueloneils

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 11:20 - May 31 by seasidedale

Why would we need to talk to 10 contracted players, we have transfer listed 3 of them so that’s it, things are quiet and clubs are looking at the “freebies” first

Because I would imagine several of them are desperate to explore the market to see if they can get better deals, and also stay in the FL.

But they can afford to wait as late as possible knowing they have a fall-back contract. Some of them will have a shrewd idead the Club does not want them, on existing terms at least.
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 13:19 - May 31 with 1495 viewspioneer

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 11:21 - May 31 by sxdale

Are you suggesting that the board are not first and foremost fans? I don't believe this to be the case. I bought some shares when we were facing the hostile take over. I, and I assume many others didn't buy them as an investment or to make a return, I bought the amount costing the £'s I could effectively afford to lose. When the board was formed the whole hostile takeover shenanigans hadn't raised its head. If, as is my understanding you could buy a seat on the board for approximately £20k, then it would be fair to say that the board could afford to spend £20k each to try to stear the club back in the right direction away from what (Lo)Bottomley and his cohorts were trying to do. Now they find themselves having parted with roughly x10 the amount its no wonder they need to get some of that outlay back.

No, not suggesting that at all. But there have been clear statements that they are looking to recoup the money they paid for the MH shares. I dont see those supporters who bought shares at the time of the first new share issue looking to recoup their investment. Same for the long term shareholders from the days of Fred Ratcliffe.

Folks shouldnt need a government health warning on Rochdale shares….you buy them, you cannot expect to get that money back. It appears we are in limbo while the. board seek to get their money back.
Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 14:02 - May 31 with 1436 views442Dale

Could the Chairman and Directors please outline their aims and ambitions? on 13:19 - May 31 by pioneer

No, not suggesting that at all. But there have been clear statements that they are looking to recoup the money they paid for the MH shares. I dont see those supporters who bought shares at the time of the first new share issue looking to recoup their investment. Same for the long term shareholders from the days of Fred Ratcliffe.

Folks shouldnt need a government health warning on Rochdale shares….you buy them, you cannot expect to get that money back. It appears we are in limbo while the. board seek to get their money back.

<<“ Q: Given that 7 out of 8 Directors contributed a collective £500,000 towards the share purchase from Morton House, to what extent does the recoup of this money play a part in attracting an investor?

A: The priority is 100% the Club’s survival, with no Director speaking at any stage to the Chairman about looking to recoup the funds spent acquiring those shares.”>>

Is there a link to any other information bar that supplied by the club’s largest shareholder and representative of Dale supporters?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024