Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 91510 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 18:28 - Jun 20 with 2179 viewsMonkey_Roots

Ashes 2023 on 18:27 - Jun 20 by Monkey_Roots

Just got hit for 6.

Root out?

Another 6.

Ooof.
Ashes 2023 on 18:33 - Jun 20 with 2155 viewsToast_R

Think Australia will do it sadly
Ashes 2023 on 18:36 - Jun 20 with 2146 viewsMalintabuk

Why is he not taken the new ball ?
Ashes 2023 on 18:37 - Jun 20 with 2136 viewsdmm

Ashes 2023 on 18:36 - Jun 20 by Malintabuk

Why is he not taken the new ball ?

I think because it's easier to score off the new ball
Ashes 2023 on 19:26 - Jun 20 with 2029 viewsMalintabuk

Magnificent game.... and though it sticks in my craw the Aussies deserved that... and Kawaga with a Boycott type knock should be a deserved MOTM
Big talking point will be that decoration. If we had stayed out for those last 6 overs and perhaps 3 or 4 in the morning we could have got another 30 and might have been enough.
But we have to move on. Who will be the spinner in the next match....
Gutted really
Ashes 2023 on 19:31 - Jun 20 with 2004 viewsCamberleyR

Gutting to lose that. The turning point was leaving Root on one over too long. Those two sixes off him completely swung the match and momentum back in their favour.

We really needed to win that given our historically lousy record against Australia at Lord's. Go two up there and that's the Ashes done for another 18 months.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 19:32]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes 2023 on 19:33 - Jun 20 with 1985 viewsManinBlack

One of England's old failings of getting 8 out but then unable to polish off the tailenders. Looks like we shouldn't have declared when Root was going well in the first innings. With two wickets to spare we could have added another 50 runs but there you go we gambled and lost.
Ashes 2023 on 19:34 - Jun 20 with 1973 viewsted_hendrix

Shite result but they deserved to win, no ifs or buts from me you live by the sword, die by the sword so do your decisions.

As well as the bloody Aussies test cricket was the winner.

I'm gutted though, bloody gutted.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 19:42 - Jun 20 with 1936 viewsnumptydumpty

It looked like the Aussies were going to win throughout

Cummings was showing his "this is a laugh" persona throughout his innings and his batting in the second innings was the difference.

England did have opportunities. Several catches went down by England throughout but if Stokes had held onto a worldie, the result would have been reversed.

Fine margins as I once heard in a very famous one day final previously !!!

It's likely to be close series but Australia being so competitive here as opposed to ourselves in Australia very rarely performing, I think the series is for the Aussies to win but the next test Stokes et al will be extremely pumped.

Hopefully the beginning of another EPIC series !!!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 20:19]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Ashes 2023 on 19:43 - Jun 20 with 1939 viewstraininvain

Ashes 2023 on 19:33 - Jun 20 by ManinBlack

One of England's old failings of getting 8 out but then unable to polish off the tailenders. Looks like we shouldn't have declared when Root was going well in the first innings. With two wickets to spare we could have added another 50 runs but there you go we gambled and lost.

No guarantee that Root would’ve got the necessary runs and batting for longer would’ve made a draw more likely given how the next few days played out.

Bazzball will get some criticism over the coming days but it certainly makes for more exciting test cricket!
Ashes 2023 on 20:16 - Jun 20 with 1843 viewsdaveB

England always looked 20 runs short, still think the declaration was a mistake but it probably was the only way England win the game, would have been a draw I think if we had batted on so I don't think they should get too much stick for that and very nearly worked.

Bigger issue for England was dropped catches and number of no balls, in a tight game can't give away so many extras
Ashes 2023 on 20:31 - Jun 20 with 1787 viewsSnipper

That declaration was a brain dead decision, especially vs Australia.

Stokes thought he was too clever. You don’t do things like that against your biggest enemy. There’s no way Australia would ever have done that.

They say you can’t lose the Ashes in the first test, but I think we lost them before day one was out.

I think Wood has to play the next test as we need pace.
Ashes 2023 on 20:57 - Jun 20 with 1727 viewsconnell10

Ashes 2023 on 20:31 - Jun 20 by Snipper

Stokes thought he was too clever. You don’t do things like that against your biggest enemy. There’s no way Australia would ever have done that.

They say you can’t lose the Ashes in the first test, but I think we lost them before day one was out.

Totally agree , unbelievable decision by Stokes. Lost us the game and yes I'd rather take the draw than the Aussies wining.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ashes 2023 on 21:24 - Jun 20 with 1657 viewsManinBlack

Ashes 2023 on 19:43 - Jun 20 by traininvain

No guarantee that Root would’ve got the necessary runs and batting for longer would’ve made a draw more likely given how the next few days played out.

Bazzball will get some criticism over the coming days but it certainly makes for more exciting test cricket!

Well the gamble failed as the declaration was made to put the Aussie openers through a difficult last 20 minutes or so but we didn't take a wicket. If Root had been dismissed then fair enough the declaration may have been the right call. Psychologically I would have liked us to have got past the 400 mark before declaring. No doubt the tactics make for an exciting game but there was an element of us throwing away some of our wickets too which the Aussies would never contemplate.
Ashes 2023 on 21:29 - Jun 20 with 1643 viewsMalintabuk

Ashes 2023 on 19:00 - Jun 16 by Antti_Heinola

If we lose by that few, it’s justified.

For too long test match cricket has been too cautious. Same with football. You get idiots going ‘it’s a results business!’ But it’s not. It’s the entertainment business. Stokes gets it.

Still think it was justified?
Said at the time it was a bad decision .... and the questions will be put tomorrow
It maybe a bright new beginning but the fundamentals remain.. on that wicket we should have gone big and batted them out of the game
Ashes 2023 on 21:44 - Jun 20 with 1611 viewstraininvain

Fine margins. With an hour to go it looked to be England’s day but we couldn’t quite take the last couple of wickets. If Stokes had made that catch we’d all be celebrating and calling him a hero.

Brain dead seems a bit harsh imo. Stokes made a call that be thought would win the test and it nearly paid off but not quite on this occasion. Perhaps it was the wrong decision but we’ll never know for sure. A draw probably the most likely outcome based upon what followed.

Appreciate it’s not for everyone but I’d prefer to see us lose while playing on the front foot trying to win than holding on for a draw thanks to the weather etc.
Ashes 2023 on 21:48 - Jun 20 with 1604 viewsozexile

That's how I see it. I like the energy and enthusiasm in this team and the willingness to attack however there's somethings in the game you have to respect and adhere to and one of them is not declaring on day 1 when you've scored under 400.
Ashes 2023 on 21:51 - Jun 20 with 1600 viewsthame_hoops

Just got home, what a fantastic days entertainment for £25.

kuwaja seemed to be batting for a draw. I found it very strange innings. No way should’ve taken 93 overs, he nearly cost them the game. Imo
Ashes 2023 on 21:58 - Jun 20 with 1573 viewsWirralHoop

The moral of the story in my opinion is pick your best wicket keeper.
Ashes 2023 on 22:06 - Jun 20 with 1553 viewsHooparoo

Obviously I’m happy with the result but could have gone either way. Was a great advert for test cricket and despite the fierce rivalry, it was also played in the right spirit. On to Lords.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 22:11 - Jun 20 with 1536 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes 2023 on 21:58 - Jun 20 by WirralHoop

Correct. How many runs did that missed stumping and missed catches from Bairstow cost? Probably near enough negated the runs he scored.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes 2023 on 23:04 - Jun 20 with 1443 viewsThe_Beast1976

Ashes 2023 on 21:58 - Jun 20 by WirralHoop

^This
Ashes 2023 on 23:08 - Jun 20 with 1415 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 21:29 - Jun 20 by Malintabuk

Still think it was justified?
Said at the time it was a bad decision .... and the questions will be put tomorrow
It maybe a bright new beginning but the fundamentals remain.. on that wicket we should have gone big and batted them out of the game

100%!

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 00:43 - Jun 21 with 1347 viewsSydneyRs

Bit of a sickener, but we have always seemed to win these super close games in the past so Australia were probably due one. I would much rather see us take them on this way than be conservative but of course not everything will come off.

Absolutely should have won it after Carey was out, as if you get Hazelwood to the crease and on strike the game is basically over. The brief spell Australia had on day 3 in absolutely perfect bowling conditions was crucial as they would have been chasing a bigger total without that.

Our bowling has been my concern going into this series. Anderson well over usual retirement age, Broad on the brink, Moeen was basically already retired. The stocks are pretty bare and its the difference in close games.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2023 0:45]
Ashes 2023 on 00:49 - Jun 21 with 1334 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 21:44 - Jun 20 by traininvain

Fine margins. With an hour to go it looked to be England’s day but we couldn’t quite take the last couple of wickets. If Stokes had made that catch we’d all be celebrating and calling him a hero.

Brain dead seems a bit harsh imo. Stokes made a call that be thought would win the test and it nearly paid off but not quite on this occasion. Perhaps it was the wrong decision but we’ll never know for sure. A draw probably the most likely outcome based upon what followed.

Appreciate it’s not for everyone but I’d prefer to see us lose while playing on the front foot trying to win than holding on for a draw thanks to the weather etc.

It would have made more sense if the ball was doing a lot and conditions were good for bowling. However that was not the case and it was a good batting surface. The way Root was going could easily have had maybe another 40 or 50 runs.

While I wouldn't call it brain dead, it was not a good decision.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024