Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Left back signs on loan 16:04 - Aug 24 with 6665 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Left back signs on loan on 16:05 - Aug 24 with 5988 viewsBainesy15

Seems an odd signing. Surely funds would have been better used elsewhere?
Left back signs on loan on 16:15 - Aug 24 with 5896 views442Dale

Left back signs on loan on 16:05 - Aug 24 by Bainesy15

Unless someone is injured or possibly on their way out, would tend to agree.

John has been playing ok, Keohane can cover there. The financial situation can’t be too bad if it’s just an addition to what we already have.

Left back signs on loan on 16:23 - Aug 24 with 5858 viewsNewbury_Dale

Presumably Bolton are covering a large proportion of his wages given his inexperience? I notice he shares the same agent as Ryan East.

The constant clamouring for Danny Lloyds return is getting cringey on Twitter now. There are people replying to every one of his, and the club's, tweets begging for him to return. He's not coming back.
Left back signs on loan on 16:25 - Aug 24 with 5840 viewsleedsdale

The comments from Buxton fans, where he played last season, are really good to read. Sounds like his character will fit in with the culture here.

Left back signs on loan on 16:28 - Aug 24 with 5807 viewsisitme

Left back signs on loan on 16:05 - Aug 24 by Bainesy15

He is probably not on that much relatively speaking and I suspect Bolton will be covering most of his wage. With a lot of games in September having enough bodies to cover at full back will be invaluable.
Left back signs on loan on 16:38 - Aug 24 with 5752 viewsSaxonDale

Seems like a good piece of business. We’ve seen a few times already this season that teams will be prepared to sit deep and put the onus on us to break them down. John, for all his improvements so far this season, is probably a weak-link in that respect and Gilmour didn’t quite look right there when he moved to left back against Oxford City. The reviews from Buxton fans seem to suggest he’s an attacking threat.

As others have said I doubt he’s costing much either.
Left back signs on loan on 16:53 - Aug 24 with 5680 viewsjudd

You can't have too many left backs.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Left back signs on loan on 17:22 - Aug 24 with 5545 viewsdavidab2202

After all the complaints about the lack of a left back in the squad for years ,it becomes obvious that only some of the people can be pleased some of the time
Login to get fewer ads

Left back signs on loan on 17:33 - Aug 24 with 5500 viewsNorthernDale

He must be cover for Cameron John, in the same way Oduroh is cover for Keohane at right back. Personally, I think John as done well in the left back role and I would be shocked, if he is straight in at left back to replace John.
Left back signs on loan on 17:35 - Aug 24 with 5495 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Left back signs on loan on 16:15 - Aug 24 by 442Dale

John has been playing ok, Keohane can cover there. The financial situation can’t be too bad if it’s just an addition to what we already have.

I was wondering if our financial position had improved with cost cutting and keeping the ticket office closed....perhaps we are splashing the cash from Wigan re Stephen Humphreys?
Left back signs on loan on 17:56 - Aug 24 with 5432 viewsBrierls

Left back signs on loan on 17:33 - Aug 24 by NorthernDale

He must be cover for Cameron John, in the same way Oduroh is cover for Keohane at right back. Personally, I think John as done well in the left back role and I would be shocked, if he is straight in at left back to replace John.

John isn’t good enough. An improvement in attitude doesn’t mask that.
Left back signs on loan on 18:04 - Aug 24 with 5398 views442Dale

Left back signs on loan on 17:56 - Aug 24 by Brierls

John isn’t good enough. An improvement in attitude doesn’t mask that.

John has done alright but if we’re signing someone on loan they must be perceived as as better. Despite the acknowledged points about us maybe not paying too much towards Conway’s wage, recent weeks have seen us informed about how tight finances are. If it was necessary to have emergency votes on financial injections for cash flow purposes, it doesn’t then make much sense to have someone like John not playing.

Makes you wonder if clubs in the EFL are looking at taking him.

Left back signs on loan on 18:30 - Aug 24 with 5309 viewsEllDale

John is probably easier to move on now that he’s actually playing. I don’t think he’s been doing too badly but if there’s an opportunity to get an alleged high earner off the books then it has be explored.
What I took from Max Conway’s YouTube interview is that he started his career as a winger and likes to get forward and create chances.
Would be great if he could be a fullback in the RND mould.
Left back signs on loan on 19:35 - Aug 24 with 5159 viewsjonahwhereru

Being a cynic I am surprised and pleased we have bought another player in. Tbh given the recent financial discussions I had expected we would not sign anymore players unless results started to suggest we were in jeopardy.
I am beginning to trust the recruitment again so won’t question the move for a left back. Can’t see that John has done enough yet to garner EFL interest. SAJ mind, I could easily see an offer coming in for him.
Left back signs on loan on 19:53 - Aug 24 with 5111 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Left back signs on loan on 16:53 - Aug 24 by judd

You can't have too many left backs.

I think Dave Sutton had that written up on the dressing room wall?
Left back signs on loan on 20:41 - Aug 24 with 4957 viewsBainesy15

Left back signs on loan on 17:22 - Aug 24 by davidab2202

After all the complaints about the lack of a left back in the squad for years ,it becomes obvious that only some of the people can be pleased some of the time

I'm not complaining, I'm always happy to see us signing players! I thought John was doing alright (not much better than that, mind) and we had enough cover but I trust that BJ knows what he's doing
Left back signs on loan on 22:22 - Aug 24 with 4710 viewsdavidab2202

Left back signs on loan on 20:41 - Aug 24 by Bainesy15

I'm not complaining, I'm always happy to see us signing players! I thought John was doing alright (not much better than that, mind) and we had enough cover but I trust that BJ knows what he's doing

It wasn't a comment against any one person ,more a reflection on the number of comments over the years when a player was signed as to whether he could play as a left back as we didn't have one at that time (Bunney and Done spring to mind as square pegs in round holes)
Left back signs on loan on 22:29 - Aug 24 with 4694 views442Dale

Left back signs on loan on 22:22 - Aug 24 by davidab2202

It wasn't a comment against any one person ,more a reflection on the number of comments over the years when a player was signed as to whether he could play as a left back as we didn't have one at that time (Bunney and Done spring to mind as square pegs in round holes)

Joe Bunney was our left back when we were at our highest point. When he got injured it all turned rubbish.

If anything his injury was THE sliding doors moment in the club’s history.

Left back signs on loan on 07:27 - Aug 25 with 4490 viewsTalkingSutty

Left back signs on loan on 22:29 - Aug 24 by 442Dale

Joe Bunney was our left back when we were at our highest point. When he got injured it all turned rubbish.

If anything his injury was THE sliding doors moment in the club’s history.

I think the sliding doors moment was when we were riding high in L1 and Hill suddenly mentioned the word 'consolidation', he used Walsall as a club we should aspire to be. Dunphy was Chairman at the time and you could detect the fear in his voice when anybody mentioned the prospect of another promotion. It was at the time when some fans suggested that it was too early to be promoted into the Championship...we'd been waiting over 100 years!😀
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 7:32]
Left back signs on loan on 09:16 - Aug 25 with 4294 viewsChaffRAFC

Left back signs on loan on 16:15 - Aug 24 by 442Dale

I disagree, I think we needed a left back.

I mentioned on the podcast last week that it was very noticeable that when Jez was moving down the left against Woking, he was always looking for the full back on the overlap which was Keohane and he was either having to try and cross with his left, or cut back onto his right and I thought the game was screaming out for a proper left back back. John was on the bench and was calling for him to come on but it really did make me think we needed depth at left back. Keohane has started the season off very well at right back, grabbing two assists so far so would like him to stay there but I do think this is a position we needed an extra body for.

And from a financial POV, this lad is from the Bolton B team and only signed a professional deal last season so I very much doubt that even paying half his wages is costing us more than a couple of hundred quid a week.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Left back signs on loan on 09:18 - Aug 25 with 4287 viewsTomRAFC

Seems like a sensible signing. Has a season under his belt from the National League North last season.

Three fullbacks wasn't going to see us through the season (John / Keohane / Oduroh). Gilmour has been used as a makeshift fullback, but he's been brilliant in midfield.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Left back signs on loan on 09:48 - Aug 25 with 4209 views442Dale

Left back signs on loan on 09:16 - Aug 25 by ChaffRAFC

I disagree, I think we needed a left back.

I mentioned on the podcast last week that it was very noticeable that when Jez was moving down the left against Woking, he was always looking for the full back on the overlap which was Keohane and he was either having to try and cross with his left, or cut back onto his right and I thought the game was screaming out for a proper left back back. John was on the bench and was calling for him to come on but it really did make me think we needed depth at left back. Keohane has started the season off very well at right back, grabbing two assists so far so would like him to stay there but I do think this is a position we needed an extra body for.

And from a financial POV, this lad is from the Bolton B team and only signed a professional deal last season so I very much doubt that even paying half his wages is costing us more than a couple of hundred quid a week.

Footballing wise it makes sense, as does the bit about his wages being a minimal outgoing. More about whether having John on the bench, or even in the stand when we only have five subs, is cost effective in current circumstances.

Left back signs on loan on 11:34 - Aug 25 with 4020 views49thseason

Left back signs on loan on 07:27 - Aug 25 by TalkingSutty

I think the sliding doors moment was when we were riding high in L1 and Hill suddenly mentioned the word 'consolidation', he used Walsall as a club we should aspire to be. Dunphy was Chairman at the time and you could detect the fear in his voice when anybody mentioned the prospect of another promotion. It was at the time when some fans suggested that it was too early to be promoted into the Championship...we'd been waiting over 100 years!😀
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 7:32]

One season in the Championship would have set the club up for years financially if they did the sensible thing and treat it as a season to fill the coffers and make the club sustainable.... water under the bridge now alas. The lack of simple business nous within the club and football generally over the years has been staggering.
Left back signs on loan on 11:55 - Aug 25 with 3975 viewsscarrow

Left back signs on loan on 11:34 - Aug 25 by 49thseason

One season in the Championship would have set the club up for years financially if they did the sensible thing and treat it as a season to fill the coffers and make the club sustainable.... water under the bridge now alas. The lack of simple business nous within the club and football generally over the years has been staggering.

Tell that to Yeovil who describe one year in the championship as the worst thing that ever happened to their club. Season to fill the coffers isn't realistic - wages, extra expenses etc

Poll: Final position

Left back signs on loan on 12:37 - Aug 25 with 3871 viewsfermin

Left back signs on loan on 11:34 - Aug 25 by 49thseason

But that was the plan if we got there. I am sure I remember Dunphy or someone else saying that we wanted to avoid doing what Yeovil did and spend too much money trying to stay there and crippling themselves financially. Are we really certain that some people on here would not have been criticising the board for not showing ambition in spending Championship wages to stay in that division? I remember looking at the Burton Albion board when they were up there and their manager (?Clough) was getting abuse from some fans for the fact that they were struggling. Many clubs in the Championship show 'ambition' in the hope that everything will be solved when (rather than if) they get to the Premier League, which is why the Championship is full of financial basket-cases.

As you say it is all water under the bridge now. I think it is also worth quoting what Hendo said in FItzo's book about Rochdale legends (page 233) - 'Those first two years in League 1, we really pushed hard at the play-off positions but as a team, and as a football club, we reached our level, I believe. You see it now with teams who rise from League 2 to the Championship. The organisational structure needed to maintain that level of success and status is incredibly difficult . The budget increases are eye-watering and the ability to track and keep the type of players needed is also incredibly difficult. For a club like Rochdale, even in League 1, this became a challenge.'

I know there are some Classicists on here - as Aristotle said, courage is the middle way between cowardice and recklessness, and in this context you could substitute ambition for courage. Too often people want their clubs to show ambition by being reckless. To misquote Tacitus - 'they create a desert and call it ambition'.

It is possible to believe both of the following things at the same time. First, that the current board (and also previous boards) have made a lot of mistakes, could have done things better, could do a lot more now and should be criticised for that. Second, that it is incredibly difficult to keep a professional football club going, taking account of wages and all sorts of other fixed expenses, with a small fanbase (even if we doubled it) in a part of the country which is not particularly wealthy. It is not as if we are new to being skint and being bailed out by the directors - back in the 1970s we were the equivalent of £1m in debt subsidised by Fred Ratcliffe. If the current directors do not have the personal finances to cover the shortfalls that is not their fault regardless of what you think of how they have run the club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024