Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I despair 17:05 - Nov 11 with 13443 viewsBarrowdale

In front twice and lose in 95th. Utterly hopeless
I despair on 20:10 - Nov 11 with 3873 views49thseason

I despair on 19:08 - Nov 11 by jonahwhereru

Were you and RAFCBLUe at different games?. One talks about personnel and tactical changes and you ask were where the tactical changes. Shows it’s a game of opinions.
BTW I didn’t see a ball kicked, so can’t add weight to either opinion.
I just long for two consecutive wins. What chance?

I was thinking about the sort of changes that bolster a dodgy defence at 2-1 or even 2-2 with a view to winning or at least drawing, rather than the sort of change that takes a midfielder off and brings on a forward for 20 minutes or whatever it was, especially with our talent for shipping goals in the 90th-plus minute and playing away where a draw would have been an OK result.
I despair on 20:17 - Nov 11 with 3824 viewsdawlishdale

I despair on 19:18 - Nov 11 by EllDale

As someone said earlier this susceptibility to crosses/corners isn’t a recent phenomenon.
It’s been going on for 5/6 years under nearly as many managers.
It isn’t exclusively the fault of EEL/Nevett/Moulden.
It was happening when we had the likes of EOC and Dorsett in the middle of defence. Or other, derided players like Canavan/McGahey/Delaney for example who are still earning money elsewhere.Or even BJ himself.
At the moment we have two players at fullback who aren’t natural defenders first and foremost and two blokes in front of them who aren’t defensively inclined either.
As a result there are bound to be plenty of deliveries into dangerous areas.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 19:20]

Your last paragraph sums it up perfectly. Our full backs simply can't stop crosses. Keohane should be played as a sort of wing half, but certainly shouldn't be anywhere near full back because of his lack of pace. The number of times he allows crosses to pass him is alarming. Oduroh just isn't good enough based on what I've seen. Neither of them can regularly stop balls into the box, which thus puts increased pressure on the centre backs (who I thing are ok for this level...nothing more)

Jim, as a very experienced central defender should have recognised this from day one. It's his team, his players and his tactics. He needs to change them quickly.

Which brings me on to the mindless passing in our own penalty area from dead ball situations. It was obvious from the first pre season friendly that it's not a tactic to use more than occasionally, but in the second half today we must have attempted it 7 or 8 times, and they knew exactly what was coming, and thus set up to deny us space.

We really didn't seem to vary our approach to this too much I'm afraid, and again, it's down to Jim whether it continues, and indeed how often it is used. Certainly we shouldn't have four players in our own box for a goal kick, whilst the opposition rub their hands in anticipation.

I actually thought that Moulden made several decent saves today but most came from them being willing to attack and shoot when in position to do so.

Sticks in my throat to say so, but they beat us tactically as well as physically today. Our recent form is highly worrying when you consider that Hartlepool really could and probably should have at least drawn against us...our only recent win.
I despair on 20:57 - Nov 11 with 3695 viewsRAFCBLUE

I despair on 20:04 - Nov 11 by Rodingdale

It’s just so depressing. A good Dale following today - collectively disillusioned by a lack of conviction on the pitch and a lack of guile in the dugout. Yes a couple of goals, but it looks like we are in slow motion when we defend. Walking out of the ground, past the ramshackle temporary stands, scaffolding, portacabins and shipping containers - which the Wealdstone ground is made of, makes you realise how far we have fallen. But they play ‘have a go’ attacking football, despite having to cut their cloth, they know what they are, and their chairman has an aspiration of league football in a new ground (hopefully with a level flat pitch). It seems to me that being a Wealdstone fan is a better experience than being a Dale fan, and not just tonight.

Some of their fans were explaining that the part time bit on crowds of about a thousand. Today's attandance was 1,400.

Wage budget is £600,000 a season, most of the players and some of the coaches have Monday to Friday jobs and do the work for Wealdstone voluntarily.

Boreham Wood apparently cherry pick the better players as they are full time each season but they have aspirations to go full time in a couple of years.

19 games in and 1 points separates them from us and Oldham.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

I despair on 21:04 - Nov 11 with 3657 views442Dale

Football club in making the most of what they have, working within a known model that works for them SHOCKER!

Get the structure right, continuous focus on improving processes, ensure that those coming into the club are aware of how it works. Money helps, but it’s never been completely vital at Rochdale to on-field success.

It’s a shame so many opportunities were missed over so many years and the eye was taken off the ball.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

I despair on 21:10 - Nov 11 with 3645 viewsDalenet

I despair on 20:57 - Nov 11 by RAFCBLUE

Some of their fans were explaining that the part time bit on crowds of about a thousand. Today's attandance was 1,400.

Wage budget is £600,000 a season, most of the players and some of the coaches have Monday to Friday jobs and do the work for Wealdstone voluntarily.

Boreham Wood apparently cherry pick the better players as they are full time each season but they have aspirations to go full time in a couple of years.

But we have a thin squad and an allegedly low budget. Yet we have a top 6 average attendance and revenue. And a parachute payment and acadamy funding for this season. Something doesn't add up and we need to hear more on our budgets. The Trust AGM next Saturday will be interesting
I despair on 21:28 - Nov 11 with 3581 viewsTVOS1907

I despair on 20:57 - Nov 11 by RAFCBLUE

Maybe they've had suitable financial advice in recent times.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

I despair on 21:28 - Nov 11 with 3579 viewsRAFCBLUE

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

I despair on 21:32 - Nov 11 with 3564 viewsRAFCBLUE

I despair on 21:28 - Nov 11 by TVOS1907

Maybe they've had suitable financial advice in recent times.

Yes.

https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/post/wealdstone-welcome-new-associate-director

Login to get fewer ads

I despair on 21:36 - Nov 11 with 3536 views442Dale

I despair on 21:28 - Nov 11 by RAFCBLUE

At least there’s an acknowledgement about the defending and the crosses, but it’s not as though it’s something new. Just bloody sort it as a priority.

The talk about officials is poor form, achieves nowt.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

I despair on 21:41 - Nov 11 with 3492 viewsblackdogblue

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

I despair on 22:04 - Nov 11 with 3401 viewsDorkingDale

I despair on 18:21 - Nov 11 by nordenblue

It's needed sorting for god knows how many seasons, this strange obsession with pissing about with the ball from the keeper is mind boggling, it's like we fook about then try and catch them by a "surprise" break, the "surprise" element of it kind of fades away around the 5th consecutive time you try it.....

Was thinking exactly the same when driving home from Wealdstone earlier......
I despair on 09:14 - Nov 12 with 2931 viewsTrev

I despair on 21:41 - Nov 11 by blackdogblue

Weird.
I despair on 10:17 - Nov 12 with 2809 viewssamueloneils

Ive asked this question before, but cant work it out.

Are we playing zonal marking at set pieces or not?
I despair on 12:20 - Nov 12 with 2612 viewsNorthernDale

I despair on 10:17 - Nov 12 by samueloneils

I am sure the Ebbsfleet manager said that Rochdale operated the Zonal marking system, which he said allowed his players more room in the Rochdale's penalty box.

[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 12:30]
I despair on 15:19 - Nov 12 with 2313 viewsJames1980

I despair on 18:10 - Nov 11 by 442Dale

But if teams defend their box properly, especially in managed situations like when the other team have the ball wide, it means the opposition have to do something special to score.

The word ‘basics’ was used, it really is that.

But the more we have the ball the less opportunities for the opposition to have the ball wide and therefore the less chance to put a dangerous ball into the box.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

I despair on 16:21 - Nov 12 with 2196 viewsEllDale

I despair on 10:17 - Nov 12 by samueloneils

It’s not just from set pieces that we’re vulnerable through. Anything whipped into the penalty area is dangerous.
Just think of Chesterfield’s second goal the other Tuesday for example when perhaps the smallest man on the pitch made a late run and scored.
I despair on 19:39 - Nov 12 with 1925 viewsfermin

It was very noticeable yesterday how often Wealdstone put the ball into the box very early, and they always went into a dangerous place. The highlights only show a few examples other than the goals- their second is the best example. I imagine the key to playing against them is to stop the crosses as the quality was very good.

In contrast we usually passed the ball around in the same positions trying to get a perfect angle but this gave then time to set their defence. However, elsewhere someone said that we are the fifth top scorers so really despite complaints about our style that is only a problem because we can't defend. Because of this, missing chances becomes critical whereas if we could keep the opposition to 0 or 1 occasionally we would be doing OK. Perhaps Cameron John coming back will help shore things up.

I really don't understand why we seem to have gone back to these short goal kicks. On one occasion in the first half it did work and we got the ball out to create a passing move resulting in a chance but usually it fails. On at least one occasion in the first half we had 5 men in the box for a goal kick and Wealdstone put 3 on the edge of the box putting us under instant pressure. At Boreham Wood we had three in the box to draw them towards the goal at which point Moulden did a long pass to Mitchell or a winger to create space up there, but this was not the tactic yesterday.

On a completely separate note I did enjoy reading their programme yesterday.
I despair on 20:00 - Nov 12 with 1865 viewsRAFCBLUE

I despair on 19:39 - Nov 12 by fermin

It was very noticeable yesterday how often Wealdstone put the ball into the box very early, and they always went into a dangerous place. The highlights only show a few examples other than the goals- their second is the best example. I imagine the key to playing against them is to stop the crosses as the quality was very good.

In contrast we usually passed the ball around in the same positions trying to get a perfect angle but this gave then time to set their defence. However, elsewhere someone said that we are the fifth top scorers so really despite complaints about our style that is only a problem because we can't defend. Because of this, missing chances becomes critical whereas if we could keep the opposition to 0 or 1 occasionally we would be doing OK. Perhaps Cameron John coming back will help shore things up.

I really don't understand why we seem to have gone back to these short goal kicks. On one occasion in the first half it did work and we got the ball out to create a passing move resulting in a chance but usually it fails. On at least one occasion in the first half we had 5 men in the box for a goal kick and Wealdstone put 3 on the edge of the box putting us under instant pressure. At Boreham Wood we had three in the box to draw them towards the goal at which point Moulden did a long pass to Mitchell or a winger to create space up there, but this was not the tactic yesterday.

Some interesting comments from the Wealdstone manager and player.

I despair on 21:27 - Nov 12 with 1703 viewsDalenet

I despair on 20:00 - Nov 12 by RAFCBLUE

Some interesting comments from the Wealdstone manager and player.

Frustrating that their manager thought their team was fitter than ours and were able to push on for the win. Part time players who have to get up for away games at 6am because they can't afford hotels......and he thinks they are fitter than an ex EFL club who are full time and pampered.
I despair on 21:35 - Nov 12 with 1679 viewsnordenblue

I despair on 15:19 - Nov 12 by James1980

But the more we have the ball the less opportunities for the opposition to have the ball wide and therefore the less chance to put a dangerous ball into the box.

It's irrelevant how much of the ball we have if we concede the minute it eventually finds its way into our box, seem to remember us playing someone like Peterborough away a few years back and we had like 75% possession whilst being 3.0 down.
I despair on 22:00 - Nov 12 with 1634 viewsTVOS1907

I despair on 19:39 - Nov 12 by fermin

Good call - it was very good.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

I despair on 22:15 - Nov 12 with 1599 viewsJames1980

I despair on 21:27 - Nov 12 by Dalenet

Frustrating that their manager thought their team was fitter than ours and were able to push on for the win. Part time players who have to get up for away games at 6am because they can't afford hotels......and he thinks they are fitter than an ex EFL club who are full time and pampered.

I'd say that is mind games along with comments about zonal marking it is to sew doubt into the minds of the team and supporters of a club who are a rival for a playoff place.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

I despair on 22:58 - Nov 12 with 1536 viewsAtThePeake

I'm stunned that some people still seem to think it's what we're doing IN possession that's the problem.

A defence that can't defend is the problem.

Tangled up in blue.

I despair on 23:18 - Nov 12 with 1487 viewsD_Alien

I despair on 22:58 - Nov 12 by AtThePeake

I'm stunned that some people still seem to think it's what we're doing IN possession that's the problem.

A defence that can't defend is the problem.

It's entirely possible the two are related

If the focus in training is on coaching defenders to play out from the back* that's time that could be spent on coaching them to defend crosses better

* and i bet their collective hearts sink every time the ball goes out for a goalkick to us - if they're anything like the fans
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 23:20]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

I despair on 12:54 - Nov 13 with 1070 views49thseason

I despair on 21:10 - Nov 11 by Dalenet

But we have a thin squad and an allegedly low budget. Yet we have a top 6 average attendance and revenue. And a parachute payment and acadamy funding for this season. Something doesn't add up and we need to hear more on our budgets. The Trust AGM next Saturday will be interesting

The parachute payments are intended to help the club reduce it overheads by allowing contracts to be honoured and to gradually align with our new status as a non- league club.
Its interesting that the NL will not allow us to accept a loan secured on the pitch which they may presume is intended to be used to bring in more players. Maybe the NL thinks we should be cutting overheads faster but it does seem odd that we cannot exploit a major asset, the ground, in an hour of need. Not a comfortable position for the NL to be in if the club goes bust, considering how it has created a recent precident, for allowing loans not to mention a barely raised an eyebrow at the ownership shenanigans at Scunthorpe, Southend etc. Football is farcked
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024