Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread 15:09 - Nov 30 with 55631 viewsE17hoop

Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.

1-1 Dixon-Bonner

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:56 - Dec 1 with 2177 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:33 - Dec 1 by VancouverHoop

Yup. In ice hockey he'd get an assist (point) for that ball to Chair.

In GAA statistics we give a credit for the player who scored (Willock) , the player who assisted (Chair) and the player (Larkeche) who delivered the key pass. Sounds very similar.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:58 - Dec 1 with 2149 viewsParkRoyalR

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:51 - Dec 1 by DieByYourSide

You can see those relationships on the pitch building. Patterns of play & link up between the likes of Willock, Chair, Paal, Dykes with some nice touches tonight and Larkeche when he came on.

Still loads more to come from Cannon going forward. Dixon-Bonner uses the ball really well and perhaps unlucky not to have scored in our colours yet. Another lovely cameo from him, he'll be be knocking on the door for more regular starts if he keeps going this way.

Dunne didn't put a foot wrong tonight but get Cook & JCS starting together and that is a solid pairing who can defend and put their foot on the ball assuredly too.

Massive for confidence tonight.

Dunne was excellent tonight and our best defender,

Very physical, won his battles, always gave an option / showing for the ball and his anticipation + passing was first class.
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:00 - Dec 1 with 2093 viewsdavman

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:43 - Dec 1 by NottsQPR

But it was exactly that type of thinking that got us in trouble in the first place…

‘We’ve got to keep Austin, Johansen…etc’

If the right offer (and it must be the right amount) comes in for either; we sell and re-invest.

No reason to sell Chair, but actually money for Willock would be a massive temptation compared to letting him walk for nothing.

If he won't sign on for another year (on the standard offer of a packet of Quavers and a double decker) surely he has to go if there is money on the table?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:01 - Dec 1 with 2080 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:58 - Dec 1 by ParkRoyalR

Very physical, won his battles, always gave an option / showing for the ball and his anticipation + passing was first class.

Dunne was much improved but JCS was our best defender tonight.
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:02 - Dec 1 with 2056 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:56 - Dec 1 by BrianMcCarthy

In GAA statistics we give a credit for the player who scored (Willock) , the player who assisted (Chair) and the player (Larkeche) who delivered the key pass. Sounds very similar.

GAA? Is that Gaelic football or hurling?
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:03 - Dec 1 with 2046 viewspriceyparkrangers

We’ve struck gold with Martí
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:04 - Dec 1 with 2039 viewsFDC

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:51 - Dec 1 by DieByYourSide

You can see those relationships on the pitch building. Patterns of play & link up between the likes of Willock, Chair, Paal, Dykes with some nice touches tonight and Larkeche when he came on.

Still loads more to come from Cannon going forward. Dixon-Bonner uses the ball really well and perhaps unlucky not to have scored in our colours yet. Another lovely cameo from him, he'll be be knocking on the door for more regular starts if he keeps going this way.

Dunne didn't put a foot wrong tonight but get Cook & JCS starting together and that is a solid pairing who can defend and put their foot on the ball assuredly too.

Massive for confidence tonight.

You can see the players anticipating the ball before it's played, which is extremely novel. Even in the first half, there were a lot of quick direct balls to Dykes, and you could see him anticipating them, making the run, even if Preston were all over it.

i don't now if the plan was always to soak it up for 45 and play out balls to Dykes, then bring Chair on and take the game to them, maybe. Either way, the players for sure know where to look for a pass and when to expect a pass, which is frankly a treat.

As for Chair, no one else in the team plays a more incisive ball in to the penalty area, no one comes close in fact.
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:06 - Dec 1 with 2002 viewsCopenhagenRs

In the not-too-distant past on this board many wrote that not even Pep or Ancelotti would get a tune out of this miserable bunch of players. But Marti could!!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:07 - Dec 1 with 1980 viewsBoston

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 21:11 - Dec 1 by cheeseydane

The new commentator is awful. He sounds like a camp guest on a Jimmy Carr show.

I didn't tune in until the game had kicked off, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think he wasJosh Watson, if not Preston's regular commentator, a chap who has covered their games and other teams fixtures t'up north. To be honest, he was quite fair, fcked up some of the Rangers names, but then again, so do I.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:08 - Dec 1 with 1955 viewsfraserc

8 points in 5 games under MC, which was our entire tally after 14 games previously - I would could that an improvement to be sure.
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:08 - Dec 1 with 1952 viewsParkRoyalR

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:01 - Dec 1 by Benny_the_Ball

Dunne was much improved but JCS was our best defender tonight.

We'll agree to differ on that one,

I get JCS looks better on the ball in a Rio Ferdinand type of way,

Dunne has an awkward gait so doesn't look as good on the ball (a bit like comparing Steve Bruce to Gary Pallister) but Dunne's defending was top draw tonite.
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:10 - Dec 1 with 1918 viewsBurnleyhoop

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:43 - Dec 1 by NottsQPR

But it was exactly that type of thinking that got us in trouble in the first place…

‘We’ve got to keep Austin, Johansen…etc’

If the right offer (and it must be the right amount) comes in for either; we sell and re-invest.

I understand the philosophy, but I really don’t trust the club to adequately replace our two best players with equal quality, in which case we have a seriously weakened side.

Will be interesting to see if Marti is allowed to bring in a couple of new recruits in January. If Chair and/or Willock were to leave, you better have something decent lined up to take their place.
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:11 - Dec 1 with 1899 viewsjoolsyp

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:03 - Dec 1 by priceyparkrangers

We’ve struck gold with Martí

We have ... and this must be the "new manager bounce" that other teams talk about! However, let's hope it's more of an upwards curve rather than a bounce (and we have a massive release clause in his contract).
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:13 - Dec 1 with 1872 viewsA40Bosh

Turgid first half - likely condition of pitch needed adjusting to.
We complain about Chair at times but once he came on…….

“We’ve got out Willock back”

11pm on a Friday night, Feet up, some chilled choons, large Jameson, 6 points in the bag in a week and a stress free weekend now ahead.

And Relax……

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:21 - Dec 1 with 1786 viewsstevec

Most professional performance from us in a long long time.
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:25 - Dec 1 with 1754 viewsAntti_Heinola

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:38 - Dec 1 by QPROslo

Nah, he never looked at the bloke. Just a natural jump. Yellow was harsh.

He was lucky to stay on. But I do think the force of it was accidental.

Bare bones.

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:28 - Dec 1 with 1725 viewsAntti_Heinola

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:00 - Dec 1 by davman

No reason to sell Chair, but actually money for Willock would be a massive temptation compared to letting him walk for nothing.

If he won't sign on for another year (on the standard offer of a packet of Quavers and a double decker) surely he has to go if there is money on the table?

not sure why anyone would bid money for him when he's free to leave a few months later. not in his interest either. Would be surprised.
Only players we have who might go for a fee are Chair, Field and, at a pinch, Dykes.

Bare bones.

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:29 - Dec 1 with 1717 viewsbaz_qpr

That second half performance was fantastic, One of Chairs best 45. JCS is a Rolls Royce of defender (All be it with a dodgy engine) Great to see Willock back to his best and with a smile on his face. I am really enjoying Marti's 4D chess as well. This manager is acting as 12th player for us and I dont think we've had that since Warnock.
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:29 - Dec 1 with 1716 viewsjeffranger

First half dire but completely controlled 2nd half & good football played
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:31 - Dec 1 with 1693 viewsterryb

There was no creativity in the first half by either side, but we were comfortable. Clarke-Salter was the best player on the pitch by a distance at this point.

Chair for Colback (was it too cold for him?) made an immediate impact & we started to play. It took a while to have any chances, but we were building towards that & every substitution seemed right. The only one that I felt didn't improve us was Kakay for Cannon, but it didn't make us worse either.

Not long ago we were looking at eight players maximum that could be considered as anywhere good enough. Now we appear to have a squad of at least sixteen that are not looking out of place!

Thank you Marti.
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:32 - Dec 1 with 1681 viewsLblock

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:58 - Dec 1 by ParkRoyalR

I love Sir James Dunne
It’s a fact
I’m on the record
However…….. he YET AGAIN did that infuriating thing to got running under the ball, missing a header and letting the “striker” in for a half chance tonight
He’s better than that and needs to get back to that standard asap

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:32 - Dec 1 with 1683 viewsVancouverHoop

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 22:56 - Dec 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Yup, exactly the same.
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:32 - Dec 1 with 1677 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:08 - Dec 1 by ParkRoyalR

We'll agree to differ on that one,

I get JCS looks better on the ball in a Rio Ferdinand type of way,

Dunne has an awkward gait so doesn't look as good on the ball (a bit like comparing Steve Bruce to Gary Pallister) but Dunne's defending was top draw tonite.

It wasn't so much that JCS looked more comfortable on the ball (which he did BTW). More the number of crucial interceptions he made. At the start, I was worried by the absence of Cook but JCS martialled that defence beautifully.

Dunne was much improved on recent displays but his positioning is still a little suspect resulting in the odd ricket. Where he has the edge on JCS is general fitness and availability. However, a fit JCS is a far more accomplished defender.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2023 23:52]
Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:40 - Dec 1 with 1602 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:02 - Dec 1 by Benny_the_Ball

GAA? Is that Gaelic football or hurling?

Both, Benny.

GAA is the acronym for the Gaelic Athletic Association, whose members promise to promote and protect its games which are Gaelic Football (men and women), Hurling (men and women but called Camogie when played by women), Handball and Rounders.

Also, something called Scór, which is competitive singing, dancing and theatrics, all with a Gaelic twist as you'd imagine. Most clubs, mine included, ignore that duty.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Preston Never-Ending Journey match thread on 23:40 - Dec 1 with 1596 viewsVancouverHoop

I think both teams were trying to deal with the conditions in the first half. There was point when it briefly looked as if PNE were coming to terms with them better than us, but second half was all about R's!

(Barring that brilliant saving header from JCS)
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024