Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fan Survey on playing style 14:50 - Apr 26 with 2904 viewsrubycon

I don't post on here to be honest but having spoken to quite a few supporters about last seasons dire playing style some are having doubts about renewing season cards. My suggestion is that a survey should be carried out on all existing card holders to see what percentage are happy to see this prem style continue--the message needs to get across to Jim now not 15 games in. The last three home games when we were perfectly safe and little attempt was convincingly made to entertain was the most depressing end to a campaign I've ever observed to be honest.
Fan Survey on playing style on 15:38 - Apr 26 with 2786 viewsDaleaholic

While I found the style extremely frustrating and difficult to watch at times, there's a reason we are supporters and Jim McNulty is the manager. He guided us to a top half finish just one point behind big spending Oldham. Even if you didn't enjoy every game, there's proof that the style he's adopted is working...

A decent summer recruitment wise and we may see a different style of play next season anyway.

Poll: What should happen with the 'Bowlee fund' money?

Fan Survey on playing style (n/t) on 15:53 - Apr 26 with 2754 viewsDale_4_Life

There are small signs that when we play the Jim Style with a little more urgency and pace it can be difficult to play against.

Whilst not laying a glove at home v 3 relegated teams Dorking / Oxford and Boreham Wood I think we looked the better team against all 3. It is very frustrating therefore that we only mustered 3 draws.

Winning games buys time for managers and with a decent retained list, some good additions to the squad and a quicker tempo of Jim's style might get us all back on board.

Looking at the goal of the season reel quite a few goals had to fast forward several passages of play pre goal as we scored quite a few after 20+ passes.

Its when it goes wrong or the extra sideways pass when the crowd are frustrated that is the problem.

We have Jim starting next season and he will be recruiting this summer so I don't think we have much choice other than to dig deep, buy a season card and turn up to cheer OUR team on. It can be a frustrating watch i agree but in a tricky first full season we finished 11th so lets build on that.
[Post edited 26 Apr 16:02]
Fan Survey on playing style on 15:56 - Apr 26 with 2738 viewskel

Have I logged onto the bury board by mistake? Shall we get a petition going while we’re at it?
Fan Survey on playing style on 16:13 - Apr 26 with 2694 viewsJames1980

https://www.guidetofootball.com/tactics/playing-styles/

I' am NOT doing a poll based on all these permutations
[Post edited 26 Apr 17:01]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Fan Survey on playing style on 16:45 - Apr 26 with 2601 viewsEllGazzell

Fan-owned didn't work out so what is it now? Fan managed? Why not set up a politburo for tactics? Better still, we can all vote on how many passes we want, shots on target, MAX sideways passes etc. REALLY let the manager know how to do it...

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Fan Survey on playing style on 18:01 - Apr 26 with 2456 viewsfrenzied

i seem to remember a scene from Mike Bassett England manager where the fans come up with tactical suggestions as hes boarding the team coach..his final response is priceless!!
Fan Survey on playing style on 19:33 - Apr 26 with 2328 viewswatford_dale

Fan Survey on playing style on 16:45 - Apr 26 by EllGazzell

Fan-owned didn't work out so what is it now? Fan managed? Why not set up a politburo for tactics? Better still, we can all vote on how many passes we want, shots on target, MAX sideways passes etc. REALLY let the manager know how to do it...

It is already here, there is a Fan Controlled Football league in the US.

At the outset, fans buy an NFT that attaches them to a team and gives them voting power. Then, every Wednesday, fans participate in a live draft to determine the players and teams that will play that week. The condensed version of an outdoor football game (7 vs. 7 competition) is played on a 50-yard field in a high-tech arena and streamed live on various platforms. Using the mobile app, fans can vote on which plays to run during the one-hour game. For example, when the team is on offense, fans can vote to “run” or “pass” and then pick one of four diagramed play options. Within 15 seconds, the coach is informed and tells the team the play that won the vote; fans then watch as the play unfolds on the field.

It would also be a way of attracting the Gen Z/millennial to football as well.
Fan Survey on playing style on 19:48 - Apr 26 with 2282 viewsrubycon

No need for numbers just ask.Jim to tell our team to entertain again by taking a few risky passes forward instead of checking the touchline FA manual. If you think it's good to watch our penalty box fright show every week good on you but Jim won't last long at this rate. Needs to start the season on the front foot or we will be getting crowds numbers back to 1500 like the 70s it's that simple.
Login to get fewer ads

Fan Survey on playing style on 20:06 - Apr 26 with 2241 viewsD_Alien

Fan Survey on playing style on 19:48 - Apr 26 by rubycon

No need for numbers just ask.Jim to tell our team to entertain again by taking a few risky passes forward instead of checking the touchline FA manual. If you think it's good to watch our penalty box fright show every week good on you but Jim won't last long at this rate. Needs to start the season on the front foot or we will be getting crowds numbers back to 1500 like the 70s it's that simple.

Your OP is fair

You're not asking anyone to determine our style of play (as some have, unsurprisingly, misinterpreted it) but asking who will be thinking twice about renewing their ST given our current style of play

Your criticisms of our final home games is also valid

Don't be put off, or feel the need to justify yourself just because some seek to twist your intention

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fan Survey on playing style on 21:48 - Apr 26 with 2108 viewsJames1980

Fan Survey on playing style on 20:06 - Apr 26 by D_Alien

Your OP is fair

You're not asking anyone to determine our style of play (as some have, unsurprisingly, misinterpreted it) but asking who will be thinking twice about renewing their ST given our current style of play

Your criticisms of our final home games is also valid

Don't be put off, or feel the need to justify yourself just because some seek to twist your intention

My comment was based on my penchant for polls. On style some will salivate at the prospect and seeing a goal like this

Whereas some will think 57 of those passes are a waste of time.
[Post edited 26 Apr 22:50]

Fan Survey on playing style on 22:36 - Apr 26 with 2021 viewsD_Alien

Fan Survey on playing style on 21:48 - Apr 26 by James1980

My comment was based on my penchant for polls. On style some will salivate at the prospect and seeing a goal like this

Whereas some will think 57 of those passes are a waste of time.
[Post edited 26 Apr 22:50]

Your comment was understood, in context

Our final goal of the season was football at it's purest: ball won in midfield, pass delivered with precision and finished with aplomb. Instinctive, players not having to think or second guess whether the manager would approve

Set them free, Jim

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fan Survey on playing style on 11:57 - Apr 27 with 1682 viewsJames1980

Fan Survey on playing style on 22:36 - Apr 26 by D_Alien

Your comment was understood, in context

Our final goal of the season was football at it's purest: ball won in midfield, pass delivered with precision and finished with aplomb. Instinctive, players not having to think or second guess whether the manager would approve

Set them free, Jim

Perhaps the players prefer 'footballing teams to death'

Fan Survey on playing style on 15:53 - Apr 27 with 1510 viewsBarrowdale

Cant decide whether i’ll renew. Heart says I have no choice. Head says that was the most boring season ever and I cant face another.
Still unsure
Fan Survey on playing style on 19:41 - Apr 27 with 1333 viewsdingdangblue

Cian Hayes masked a lot of our slow ponderous play by being so positive when he got the ball. I dread to think where we would have finished last season had he not signed for us.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Fan Survey on playing style on 20:30 - Apr 27 with 1274 viewsrubycon

Without Hayes it could possibly have been a close call.Fair play to Jim for managing to sign him but if the team were five yards further forward he would have done even better. If he can accept you can't entertain without taking risks we could challenge the top seven with decent recruitment. Let's put last season behind us as a stability exercise. Now Jim has to take the next progression forward.
Fan Survey on playing style on 21:16 - Apr 27 with 1214 viewsBlueboy

Fan Survey on playing style on 15:53 - Apr 27 by Barrowdale

Cant decide whether i’ll renew. Heart says I have no choice. Head says that was the most boring season ever and I cant face another.
Still unsure

I'm in the same boat as you, over 50 years watching Dale, don't remember leaving early even in the bad old days, last season left early a few times, don't know if I can sit through another season of of boring, sterile football, yes there were a few good moments, but not enough to convince me to purchase another season card, maybe a few decent signings will convince me, but will Jim change the style of play, I hope so.
Fan Survey on playing style on 22:24 - Apr 27 with 1137 views_Windydale

New feeling around the club with the takeover. Potentially some stability and better players in. Ill be getting a season ticket for sure, to help keep the town team in pocket. Although if the entertainment on field nosedives like at times last season, i'll be ducking a few games, and watch bits of it at home on the tinternet.
Fan Survey on playing style on 22:51 - Apr 27 with 1101 viewsEllDale

I mentioned my own agonising about the purchase of a new season ticket or not on another thread recently. I was completely down in the dumps at the time after a boring home draw against relegation threatened opponents.
After the news that the Ogden family had agreed to buy the new A shares I swung towards buying a new ticket if only as a gesture of support and loyalty.
However there is still one final obstacle, that of price.
I accept that we may have getting off reasonably cheaply over the last six or so years but the fact remains that there has also been a lot of dross served up over that period.
You’d bin your loyalty card for a restaurant if the food was consistently bad and the service surly.
How big an increase am I prepared to accept though?
And if there’s no incentive for anyone to buy immediately that they go on sale in the form of some sort of discounted “early bird” type offer then I can see a lot of people, myself included, waiting until the last minute to do so if only to see which new players are recruited.
Or even look at alternatives if the new price doesn’t really represent much of a saving as I am rarely able to attend midweek fixtures.
Fan Survey on playing style on 08:48 - Apr 28 with 943 viewsTalkingSutty

Have i just woke up from a very bad dream? Fans should be chomping at the bit now to buy season tickets and kick off the start of a new era for the club. We've recently witnessed the biggest win in the clubs history, the Ogden family's involvement, we couldn't have wished for better owners.

I understand the complaints in respect of the style of play that McNulty employs but that will sort itself out naturally. His fate will be decided by results on the pitch and also whether attendances at games can be improved when it comes to the entertainment being served up, if the product doesn't change then he will come under pressure. Its up to him, he will know how the fans feel and the importance of increasing attendances. The Chairman's fate will sort itself out naturally also. We need a club that is united and the Chairman, Directors, Trust, Supporters all have to work as one, that's what the Ogden family will expect. They are sinking a lot of money into the club and the Chairman sets the tone for everything. If he cant connect with shareholders and fans then everything else falls down. A 'us and them' approach doesn't work at a club of our size and the fans wont put up with it. Lessons need to be learned and attitudes need to change, self analysis is something that some people struggle with because they can never admit that they are wrong...their ego won't allow them to do that. We all need to self analyse, we're all flawed. Things can't carry on as they have, everybody involved needs to realise that, the club needs new people involved with fresh ideas and a proven track record of being fit for purpose. I'm looking forward to seeing some new faces in the boardroom and in key positions at the club.

I hope Sir Peter Ogden and his family take some sort of hands on approach and keep the Supporters Trust very close to them, a direct line of contact would be a sensible thing to do. The fans are the lifeblood of the club and have proved invaluable over the last few months when it's come to sorting out the wheat from the chaf, in respect of finding a suitable investor. That's something that the Chairman should pay tribute to, fan intervention and involvement has proved to be crucial.

In the meantime all of us need to realise that this really is a reset for the club, the start of a new era and to renew our season tickets. The club also need to engage the public of the Town with a promotional campaign for the upcoming sale of season tickets. The club need to do this and not the Trust, spend some money on it and do it professionally. Utilise billboards around the Town, print posters and flood social media. Something like a Phoenix rising from the ashes wearing our new Dale shirt...A new era begins, be part of it!
[Post edited 28 Apr 9:11]
Fan Survey on playing style on 08:50 - Apr 28 with 942 viewsfrenzied

Fan Survey on playing style on 22:51 - Apr 27 by EllDale

I mentioned my own agonising about the purchase of a new season ticket or not on another thread recently. I was completely down in the dumps at the time after a boring home draw against relegation threatened opponents.
After the news that the Ogden family had agreed to buy the new A shares I swung towards buying a new ticket if only as a gesture of support and loyalty.
However there is still one final obstacle, that of price.
I accept that we may have getting off reasonably cheaply over the last six or so years but the fact remains that there has also been a lot of dross served up over that period.
You’d bin your loyalty card for a restaurant if the food was consistently bad and the service surly.
How big an increase am I prepared to accept though?
And if there’s no incentive for anyone to buy immediately that they go on sale in the form of some sort of discounted “early bird” type offer then I can see a lot of people, myself included, waiting until the last minute to do so if only to see which new players are recruited.
Or even look at alternatives if the new price doesn’t really represent much of a saving as I am rarely able to attend midweek fixtures.

i can understand your issues re this process.

It is a bit of a finger in the air job.

We are always optimistic that the new players brought in will deliver and we will avoid some of the dissapointments over the last few years.

If you don't like the product on offer simply don't buy it.

We are certainly in a much better position on and off the field than we were 12 months ago.
Fan Survey on playing style on 09:21 - Apr 28 with 887 viewsrubycon

I think you have encapsulated the situation superbly there. I suppose my experience of watching our precious club go down the pans in the last five or six years reached its lowest point when we played Boreham and I felt I had to initiate this conversation. I just hope the message gets across to the playing management that as fans who pay good money and spend our prime weekend time following this humble little club we expect a decent level of entertainment going into this new and hopeful era.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024