Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunday is NOT "a good day out" 08:26 - May 23 with 1387 viewsPatfromPoole

As the title says.

This is the biggest game for the club since Swansea away in May 2018.

This is a chance to cement a winning mentality and to shape the destiny of the club for the next 5-10 years.

Lose, and we risk being in the doldrums for a number of years, possibly overtaken by the shower up the road.

Win, and we could stabilise the club within the Prem and get back towards the heady days of Koeman.

I hate a lot about the Prem, particularly the detestable way that VAR sucks the joy out of the game.

However, to use a tent analogy, with the Prem the lesser of two evils is to be on the inside pissing out than on the outside pissing in.

Please do not go to the game on Sunday with the mentality that if we lose it has been a good day out. We have to be far better than that; Leeds fans will not be like that.

Roar the lads on to victory and get us out of the wilderness as a club.

We simply HAVE to win.
[Post edited 23 May 8:33]

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 08:36 - May 23 with 1340 viewsSonicBoom

Thing is, if we go up, we would probably be one of the favourites to come straight back down. So there is a chance we will only get PL money for one year.
How does that stabilise the club. We were there for around ten years before that taking the money and we still went down.

I guess for the club, it is better to be in the PL. Our profile is higher, we can recruit better players and sell them on for more money etc etc.
However for a fan point of view many of us prefer being at the top end of the championship competing home and away, than fighting relegation and getting beat most weeks.
I suppose that if we are premier league then there is also a better chance of someone with really big money buying us. The top 7 or 8 are already owned by billionaires or country states so that might mean anyone else looking to own a PL club will start looking further down the league. Who knows?
I want to win any game particularly one of this significance, but there are plenty of fans who won't shed too many tears if we get another season in the championship
Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 08:48 - May 23 with 1314 viewssaintwizzler

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 08:36 - May 23 by SonicBoom

Thing is, if we go up, we would probably be one of the favourites to come straight back down. So there is a chance we will only get PL money for one year.
How does that stabilise the club. We were there for around ten years before that taking the money and we still went down.

I guess for the club, it is better to be in the PL. Our profile is higher, we can recruit better players and sell them on for more money etc etc.
However for a fan point of view many of us prefer being at the top end of the championship competing home and away, than fighting relegation and getting beat most weeks.
I suppose that if we are premier league then there is also a better chance of someone with really big money buying us. The top 7 or 8 are already owned by billionaires or country states so that might mean anyone else looking to own a PL club will start looking further down the league. Who knows?
I want to win any game particularly one of this significance, but there are plenty of fans who won't shed too many tears if we get another season in the championship

Do you think we will have as good a season next season in The Championship as this one?

The 5 loanees will go, will they return?
Adams, Stupot and McCarthy leave on frees.
KWP is destined for bigger things.

That’s 9 players to replace.
Without the PL money will Sports Republic pay for quality?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 08:55 - May 23 with 1295 viewssuzie

Totally agree 👍

Poll: Would you welcome Koeman back to the club?

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 08:56 - May 23 with 1293 viewsSonicBoom

Well good point, we will lose players.
I'd personally rather go up btw.
But I suppose we would always be one of the bigger teams in the championship and I'd expect us still to be in the top 6 next year.
Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 10:04 - May 23 with 1188 viewsChesham_Saint

Agreed. We need to go up both financially and morally (we must stay ahead of those stinking fish fvcking retards down the road for starters).

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 10:17 - May 23 with 1170 viewsBerber

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 08:48 - May 23 by saintwizzler

Do you think we will have as good a season next season in The Championship as this one?

This, the risks of not getting promotion very heavily fall on the side of further decline, Nothing in the past few years suggests that we can develop talent from the academy that will take us into the PL. We have been scavenging in the academies and reserve teams of other clubs, the number of loanees shows that we don’t have the money to build up.

The turmoil at the top, especially the Director of Football role shows that we are in disarray, and cannot keep anyone as soon as a half attractive opportunity arises, they are off.

I have stated several times before, at my time of life, I am not interested in paying good money to watch a live game with second raters playing second rate teams (and losing) however exciting others may find it. I have changed, but that happens.
Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 11:11 - May 23 with 1109 viewswibbersda

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 08:36 - May 23 by SonicBoom

With Leicester and Man City likely to be relegated there will be only 1 slot for relegation, so we stand a good chance of staying up. We need To WIN! COYR (or COYB on Sunday)
Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 11:52 - May 23 with 1057 viewsfelly1

Totally agree.
Yes we could get smashed most weeks and go straight back down.
Yes the Championship is fun, all winnable games and no VAR.
But why can teams like Bournemouth, Brentford, Palace, Brighton, Wolves, survive and prosper?

We are bigger than all of these, with a better pedigree over the last 30 years.

We need to recruit the right players and manager.
It's as simple as that.
Get the recruitment right, survive the first season and build.
We should be less defeatist.
If Bournemouth and Brentford can do why the hell can we not do it better than them??
Login to get fewer ads

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 12:50 - May 23 with 960 viewssaintwizzler

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 11:52 - May 23 by felly1

Totally agree.
Yes we could get smashed most weeks and go straight back down.
Yes the Championship is fun, all winnable games and no VAR.
But why can teams like Bournemouth, Brentford, Palace, Brighton, Wolves, survive and prosper?

We are bigger than all of these, with a better pedigree over the last 30 years.

We need to recruit the right players and manager.
It's as simple as that.
Get the recruitment right, survive the first season and build.
We should be less defeatist.
If Bournemouth and Brentford can do why the hell can we not do it better than them??

We declined by selling our best players and replacing them with cheaper inferior replacements.
Throw in recruiting 2 crap managers before Russell Martin.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 12:58 - May 23 with 942 viewsTimSaint

Have no fear !! Next season, all our current loaned out players will have returned and will be ready to represent our club :-)

Lis, Perraud, Bella-Kotchap, Caleta-Car, Lyanco, Onuachu and Alcaraz.

TimSaint

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 12:59 - May 23 with 943 viewsWinchesterExile

Spot on Pat.

With respect I think most of the posts on this thread have missed the point. My reading of Pat’s post is that it’s aimed at us the fans. He’s saying that it’s no good just to go along for the day out. We’re part of the occasion and need to appreciate that we can, and should, make a difference. Everybody has got to give it absolutely everything they’ve got for the whole game. No one should have a voice left at the end. We have to do what we did last Friday and roar the team on and out sing Leeds.

COYS
Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 13:06 - May 23 with 916 viewsPatfromPoole

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 12:59 - May 23 by WinchesterExile

Spot on Pat.

With respect I think most of the posts on this thread have missed the point. My reading of Pat’s post is that it’s aimed at us the fans. He’s saying that it’s no good just to go along for the day out. We’re part of the occasion and need to appreciate that we can, and should, make a difference. Everybody has got to give it absolutely everything they’ve got for the whole game. No one should have a voice left at the end. We have to do what we did last Friday and roar the team on and out sing Leeds.

COYS

Sir, it is almost as if we were joined at the hip.

Bravo.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 16:27 - May 23 with 806 viewsoldeastterrace

This is very true. So many clubs have struggled to stay in the championship within a few seasons of getting relegated from the Prem (Like us in 2007/8 and 2008/9. The fact of the matter is that the parachute money drops again, so this summer that money would have to be recouped, Undoubtedly we would lose a number of our better players and in all likelihood 'IF' they were replaced, they would be replaced by players of a lesser quality. We are better off being a yo yo club than a club that suffers a slow decline and drops into league One again.
Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 16:52 - May 23 with 773 viewssaint22

a winning mentality goes along way and we have been without that for years
I am not a fan of the PL, the money, VAR etc but to win Sunday would be huge boost
Sunday is NOT on 17:14 - May 23 with 756 views1885_SFC

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 11:11 - May 23 by wibbersda

With Leicester and Man City likely to be relegated there will be only 1 slot for relegation, so we stand a good chance of staying up. We need To WIN! COYR (or COYB on Sunday)

Surely Chelsea too?

That's the 3 teams for relegation next season sorted then.

COYS. You can do this!

Old School is Cool

Sunday is NOT "a good day out" on 18:27 - May 23 with 666 viewsSouthamptonfan

We all want to win, that's for sure. The atmosphere at St Mary's against West Brom was something I have never experienced before. It was really intense and our fans wanted it that night. I know our fans will be full on Sunday.
[Post edited 23 May 18:28]

Poll: Who are you voting for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024