Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to change Transfer Strategy 07:51 - May 28 with 863 viewsButty101

Saints need to get away from trying to putting all their effort into finding that gem that’s going to get them mega bucks in the future. That strategy cost us relegation in the first place. Hopefully lessons have been learnt as we bought some experience this season.

In the last 5 seasons we have had 2 hits (Lavia and Tino) and 15 misses (Dnepo, Salisu, Diallo, Simeu, Small, Baz , kotcha, Mara, Edozie , Larios, Abu, sulemanu, Charles, Awe, Gunn). We lost more on the duds than we will ever make on the gems.

Also we should give a chance to players in the accademy. Dom Ballard would have scored more than Seko Mara given the same amount of chances.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Time to change Transfer Strategy on 09:56 - May 28 with 713 viewsSaintNick

What about Adam Armstrong & Kyle Walker Peters, Salisu was not the worse signing and sold for double what we paid.

To bulk up the list by the likes of Small, Awe & Simeu who were not major signings but academy players is a little sneaky.

Also the likes of Joe Aribo & James Bree, Charly Alcaraz & Shea Charles have played parts, as has Sekou Mara despite being cast in the role of pantomime villain.

NB Angus Gunn was 6 seasons ago as was Djenepo, if you throw them in then you include Danny Ings and Che Adams to counter balance

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Time to change Transfer Strategy on 12:11 - May 28 with 657 viewsPatfromPoole

From the list on the original post, I think Edozie played pretty well on Sunday.

Anybody who can shine in that big-match environment shouldn't be completely written off.

We did make quite a few bad signings a couple of years ago (throw Onuachu and Orsic into the mix as well) but our recruitment in the last 12 months massively improved, mainly on the loan signings.

We are still looking at loaning a lot of these players out for next season though; a number of them are not going to be up to the Prem, and buyers for them will be in short supply.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Time to change Transfer Strategy on 12:21 - May 28 with 643 viewsSouthamptonfan

The point the OP is making, from what I have read, is that we are now in the PL. Edozie, Mara, Larios, Charles, Djenepo and the like are not good enough for the PL. Adam Armstrong is a proven goal scorer, albeit in the Championship. We will need to bring in some real quality to survive in the PL. And by that I mean, proven goal scorers, proven defenders, not ones who could be good in a few years time. The PL is far too unforgiving for that.

Poll: Who are you voting for?

Time to change Transfer Strategy on 12:37 - May 28 with 624 viewsSonicBoom

The big two for me were Onuachu and Sulemana. Both the thick end of 20 million each and neither has contributed.
Always disappointing when there's players we've paid record fees for and then neither are in the team for the biggest game of the season.
Time to change Transfer Strategy on 12:43 - May 28 with 615 viewsButty101

Time to change Transfer Strategy on 09:56 - May 28 by SaintNick

What about Adam Armstrong & Kyle Walker Peters, Salisu was not the worse signing and sold for double what we paid.

To bulk up the list by the likes of Small, Awe & Simeu who were not major signings but academy players is a little sneaky.

Also the likes of Joe Aribo & James Bree, Charly Alcaraz & Shea Charles have played parts, as has Sekou Mara despite being cast in the role of pantomime villain.

NB Angus Gunn was 6 seasons ago as was Djenepo, if you throw them in then you include Danny Ings and Che Adams to counter balance

You are right Gunn was out of the 5 year time frame. Dnepo was 5 seasons ago and I missed Adams off my list.

The post was about speculating on youngsters rather than buying a tall Paul, Bree or Airbo.

Do see Charles or Mara playing in the premiership ? I don’t , they couldn’t command a place in the championship.

Small cost £5mill and the others a couple mill each hence included . There is a load of other youngsters we have signed in that time that were free and I didn’t include them

I didn’t realize we made a profit on salisu. But it was 3 million euros, no where near double. I won’t mention wages NI and bonuses he would have picked up.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mohammed-salisu/transfers/spieler/563963

KWP I have a feeling will leave on a free in a years time but agreed he’s been a great signing. I’m surprised he was bought by another prem club.

I can’t agree on Adam Armstrong re doubling our money. We paid 15mill for him no one is paying 30Mill. Last time he couldn’t cut in the premiership so I doubt a prem club would be coming in for him. Clearly a championship side couldn’t afford him.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Time to change Transfer Strategy on 12:44 - May 28 with 614 viewsSouthamptonfan

Time to change Transfer Strategy on 12:37 - May 28 by SonicBoom

The big two for me were Onuachu and Sulemana. Both the thick end of 20 million each and neither has contributed.
Always disappointing when there's players we've paid record fees for and then neither are in the team for the biggest game of the season.

Exactly and to think what 40 million could have bought us instead. The players you mention, had never played in the Premier League or any English league in their life. Precisely my point, buy proven players.

Poll: Who are you voting for?

Time to change Transfer Strategy on 12:59 - May 28 with 573 viewsfelly1

It's got to be one the hardest parts of running a club is recruiting the right players.
Sometimes it must be down to sheer luck.
We will continue to waste money on duds as that's the case at all clubs.
We've just got to get a higher success rate this time.
We've got to be pragmatic and approach the situation around players that will get us 40 points in the first season and then build from there.
One step at a time and please not a young kid in goal again ffs!
Time to change Transfer Strategy on 18:01 - May 28 with 476 viewsIfonly

Totally agree that our transfers have been more misses than hits. We've had poor value for money, no doubt about it. As Pat said, our loan signings have been better, but that's exactly the problem. We need to be buying the type of experienced player that we've brought in on loan, instead of overpaying for unproven talent.

I worry that the owners have drawn the wrong conclusions from this. The Lallana signing (if true) suggests to me they're thinking that they didn't bring in enough experience last time in the Prem, so this time they'll mix up the unproven youngsters with some 40 year olds. This will be equally disastrous. We need every penny we have and wasting money on the likes of Lallana is a bad sign.

We need to concentrate on proven pros who are oven ready to do a decent job for a full 90 mins in the PL, even if they're never going to be stars and never earn us huge transfer fees. If we don't do that, we'll be relegated again.
Login to get fewer ads

Time to change Transfer Strategy on 18:13 - May 28 with 460 viewssaint22

Time to change Transfer Strategy on 12:44 - May 28 by Southamptonfan

Exactly and to think what 40 million could have bought us instead. The players you mention, had never played in the Premier League or any English league in their life. Precisely my point, buy proven players.

You cannot gamble and win in thenPL
We need to speculate to accumulate and getting the players we need (GK, CB, DM, Striker) costs money
If we don't buy smartly we will be straight back down
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024