Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EEL Stays 13:07 - Jun 5 with 5932 viewsBainesy15

New two-year contract!

Has his doubters but I think this is a great bit of business for stability.
EEL Stays on 13:23 - Jun 5 with 4631 viewssxdale

I would presume it must be on reduced wages, didn't expect 2 years but reasonably happy with this.
EEL Stays on 13:32 - Jun 5 with 4585 viewsDale0916

We can not play out from the back with the same players from last season he showed match after match he is not comfortable on the ball
EEL Stays on 13:44 - Jun 5 with 4538 viewsDrigdale

EEL Stays on 13:32 - Jun 5 by Dale0916

We can not play out from the back with the same players from last season he showed match after match he is not comfortable on the ball

Excellent signing in my opinion. Solid experienced defender and good in the air. I think he looked after Nevitt last year and needs to take a bit of credit for the young lads progression.

Agree that he is not entirely comfortable on the ball but overall pleasing to see him sign a new contract.
EEL Stays on 14:50 - Jun 5 with 4337 viewsanimal8

It's up to Jim to play to his strengths, and that means not messing about at the back..l think he is a solid defender not a playmaker .
EEL Stays on 17:56 - Jun 5 with 3930 viewsYorkshire_Dale

EEL Stays on 13:32 - Jun 5 by Dale0916

I hope and expect he is on a drastic wage cut.....2 years as well. He did have some "mare" games but also improved as the season progressed. Chipped in with a few goals and I suppose we have a bit of continuity here...?
EEL Stays on 22:04 - Jun 5 with 3540 viewsBrierls

I’m pleased with that. A bit surprised at the two year deal, but it’s now on a salary more in keeping with the league we’re in. EEL was solid last season and it wouldn’t have been easy replacing him with somebody of the same standard.
EEL Stays on 22:12 - Jun 5 with 3514 viewsDale0916

EEL Stays on 22:04 - Jun 5 by Brierls

I’m pleased with that. A bit surprised at the two year deal, but it’s now on a salary more in keeping with the league we’re in. EEL was solid last season and it wouldn’t have been easy replacing him with somebody of the same standard.

I don't think he was solid at all mistake after mistake he was poor in league two and even worse last season
EEL Stays on 23:54 - Jun 5 with 3344 viewsnordenblue

EEL Stays on 22:12 - Jun 5 by Dale0916

I don't think he was solid at all mistake after mistake he was poor in league two and even worse last season

See how the results went without EEL playing last season 👍
Login to get fewer ads

EEL Stays on 06:39 - Jun 6 with 3189 viewsRobPHolmes

…….didnt mean to vote that down btw !

There are 2 valid sides to this argument. Basically EEL is an old fashioned solid lower league defender capable of getting on the end of set plays.
The mistakes occur when he’s asked to play out from the back, which is down to a Manager not playing a style that suits the strength of his players. Without much better players, which the budget won’t allow, I see much of the same……some good football at times but awash with plenty of frustrating errors.
[Post edited 6 Jun 8:47]
EEL Stays on 07:34 - Jun 6 with 3134 viewsDale0916

EEL Stays on 23:54 - Jun 5 by nordenblue

See how the results went without EEL playing last season 👍

He missed a couple of games I am saying regardless of results I do not rate him it's only a opinion
[Post edited 6 Jun 7:37]
EEL Stays on 07:57 - Jun 6 with 3079 viewsfitzochris

EEL Stays on 22:12 - Jun 5 by Dale0916

I don’t think he was poor last season overall at all. There were standout games where a mistake cost us a goal - Barnet away being the first to come to mind - but then the whole team was poor that game anyway.

EEL, in the main, is a solid defender at the level we are at, and I think some people still don’t accept we are at the level we are. He chips in with goals and starts many an attack, too.

He perhaps just needs to stop putting himself under pressure unnecessarily by knowing when to lump the ball upfield when being pressed.

I don’t think that is against McNulty’s “total options” approach, as it is a viable option. Yes, he might turnover possession in doing so, but then it’s on those further forward to win it back. I’d rather turn over possession higher up the pitch than lose it in my own box and cost a goal, and I’m sure he and McNulty would too.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

EEL Stays on 09:25 - Jun 6 with 2931 viewsNewbury_Dale

Just a personal view but I dont see us getting out of this league with EEL in the side. A two year deal doesn't therefore feel like good business to me.
EEL Stays on 09:44 - Jun 6 with 2892 viewsramsdale

Given how good he was during his loan spell with us them years back, I've got a bit of a warped interpretation of what I expected when he returned.

The relegation season was a stinker and I'd have thought we'd try to get him off the books then. The fact that we're in the National League and he still isn't a standout centre-half is a bit of a worry for me.

He played 30+ games in League One only 2 years ago, with Shrewsbury fans surprised they let him go at the time. His performances last season, whilst okay, we definitely shaky and for me, he didn't redeem himself from his nightmare League Two season.

His regular gesticulating to fans to get behind the team when we're 2-1 down to bottom of the league for instance, only to pass the ball between himself and his other centre-half for the next 3 minutes is something that he needs to cut out.

Thankfully, we might be in a position where we can take a chance and hope he comes through with solid performances unlike last season where we couldn't entertain passengers.
EEL Stays on 11:34 - Jun 6 with 2718 viewsTalkingSutty

EEL Stays on 09:44 - Jun 6 by ramsdale

Given how good he was during his loan spell with us them years back, I've got a bit of a warped interpretation of what I expected when he returned.

The relegation season was a stinker and I'd have thought we'd try to get him off the books then. The fact that we're in the National League and he still isn't a standout centre-half is a bit of a worry for me.

He played 30+ games in League One only 2 years ago, with Shrewsbury fans surprised they let him go at the time. His performances last season, whilst okay, we definitely shaky and for me, he didn't redeem himself from his nightmare League Two season.

His regular gesticulating to fans to get behind the team when we're 2-1 down to bottom of the league for instance, only to pass the ball between himself and his other centre-half for the next 3 minutes is something that he needs to cut out.

Thankfully, we might be in a position where we can take a chance and hope he comes through with solid performances unlike last season where we couldn't entertain passengers.

His actual defending is ok, in fact he puts in some great last ditch blocks and tackles and never shirks a challenge. In a different era he would be viewed as a decent solid centre half. Football has changed and defenders now have to be comfortable on the ball and capable of instant control and accurate passing, that's the part of his game that he needs to improve. We will have a squad this season so any player who isn't performing won't be guaranteed to start week in week out, EEL won't be a exception to that. Overall i thought he did alright last season and it has to be remembered he is playing under instructions from the manager when it comes to passing it around at the back.
[Post edited 6 Jun 11:37]
EEL Stays on 11:59 - Jun 6 with 2652 viewsD_Alien

EEL Stays on 11:34 - Jun 6 by TalkingSutty

His actual defending is ok, in fact he puts in some great last ditch blocks and tackles and never shirks a challenge. In a different era he would be viewed as a decent solid centre half. Football has changed and defenders now have to be comfortable on the ball and capable of instant control and accurate passing, that's the part of his game that he needs to improve. We will have a squad this season so any player who isn't performing won't be guaranteed to start week in week out, EEL won't be a exception to that. Overall i thought he did alright last season and it has to be remembered he is playing under instructions from the manager when it comes to passing it around at the back.
[Post edited 6 Jun 11:37]

He's also the club captain

I honestly can't see him being "dropped" under any circumstances, given the overall ethos which seems to be one of nurturing - which he's part of, rather than ever being seen to shout instructions to his team-mates

He's now also 31, so this is his last chance to make something of a name for himself by leading a team that will be remembered for the right reasons. I'm not sure his basic abilities will improve though his experience counts for something

I'm trying to be positive, since it's what we'll have in front of us next season

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

EEL Stays on 12:04 - Jun 6 with 2639 viewsTrev

The most worrying thing is his interview; he is the classic modern footballer who thinks he can play and doesn't understand his limitations. Not helped by his manager who drills into the team that they play fantastic football and anyone who disagrees doesn't get it and needs to get on board.

It's modern football, unfortunately, where the likes of BBM can relegate a team whilst sticking to his principles and securing a cushy job off the back of it, see also Vincent Kompany.
EEL Stays on 23:10 - Jun 6 with 2178 viewsTalkingSutty

EEL Stays on 11:59 - Jun 6 by D_Alien

He's also the club captain

I honestly can't see him being "dropped" under any circumstances, given the overall ethos which seems to be one of nurturing - which he's part of, rather than ever being seen to shout instructions to his team-mates

He's now also 31, so this is his last chance to make something of a name for himself by leading a team that will be remembered for the right reasons. I'm not sure his basic abilities will improve though his experience counts for something

I'm trying to be positive, since it's what we'll have in front of us next season

Sorry marked that down in error. If that's the managers mindset and he doesn't see dropping out of form players in favour of giving others a chance then it's very poor management. Anyway, McNulty will live or die on results, he's no different than any other manager in that respect. I take your point regarding EELs age and also wonder how much more he his capable of improving his game.
EEL Stays on 01:29 - Jun 7 with 2095 views_Windydale

No downers from me regards Landell.Hopefully a bigger squad a better season, not begging and borrowing from nearby teams for loans. A bigger choice to pick from in selection and dont have to put up with players positions guaranteed anymore. Ebanks has been brilliant in some games, and made a few clangers in others. But from when I've seen him play, he plays with honesty and gives his best. Good player at this level, let's see this season with a stronger squad he helps us up or at the very least challenging for a playoff position
EEL Stays on 10:47 - Jun 7 with 1811 viewssamueloneils

Another thing about EEL which may not have been so obvious is he has played 82 league games the last 2 seasons and in his first season he never had a settled partner in defence, which I think contributed to the poor results. The nearest he got to a partner was Sam Graham, and he was very limited IMO.

This time he has had George Nevett who has come on leaps and bounds, but was a 17 year-old learning his trade.

To play that many games in itself was quite an achievement with only 1 suspension, but without some experienced help was remarkable.
EEL Stays on 11:20 - Jun 7 with 1755 viewsfinberty

EEL Stays on 01:29 - Jun 7 by _Windydale

No downers from me regards Landell.Hopefully a bigger squad a better season, not begging and borrowing from nearby teams for loans. A bigger choice to pick from in selection and dont have to put up with players positions guaranteed anymore. Ebanks has been brilliant in some games, and made a few clangers in others. But from when I've seen him play, he plays with honesty and gives his best. Good player at this level, let's see this season with a stronger squad he helps us up or at the very least challenging for a playoff position

I agree. For those of a longer history of supporting Dale, and especially during the dark days of the 80s, we often had player, or indeed an entire team, that had a clanger, or several clangers, in them - the beauty and uncertainty of it was wondering who, when and how in each game. Some of these characters generated some affection, because they were clearly trying their best. All this has been stamped-out over recent years, following the Parkin and Hill eras.

So Windydale's reference to 'clangers' made me all misty-eyed for a second there.
EEL Stays on 12:15 - Jun 7 with 1641 viewsD_Alien

EEL Stays on 11:20 - Jun 7 by finberty

I agree. For those of a longer history of supporting Dale, and especially during the dark days of the 80s, we often had player, or indeed an entire team, that had a clanger, or several clangers, in them - the beauty and uncertainty of it was wondering who, when and how in each game. Some of these characters generated some affection, because they were clearly trying their best. All this has been stamped-out over recent years, following the Parkin and Hill eras.

So Windydale's reference to 'clangers' made me all misty-eyed for a second there.

Our central defensive pairings over the years...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

EEL Stays on 12:38 - Jun 7 with 1556 viewsDaleiLama

EEL Stays on 12:15 - Jun 7 by D_Alien

How we play now - the Jimball wizard?

https://www.tiktok.com/@stevemuller0/video/6911498443328359685

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

EEL Stays on 12:39 - Jun 7 with 1552 views_Windydale

EEL Stays on 12:15 - Jun 7 by D_Alien

Quiet tuesday night you could hear it. That makes sense, thats what the high pitched slide whistle medley was when defending corners.
EEL Stays on 15:18 - Jun 7 with 1308 viewsbluevein64

EEL Stays on 10:47 - Jun 7 by samueloneils

Another thing about EEL which may not have been so obvious is he has played 82 league games the last 2 seasons and in his first season he never had a settled partner in defence, which I think contributed to the poor results. The nearest he got to a partner was Sam Graham, and he was very limited IMO.

This time he has had George Nevett who has come on leaps and bounds, but was a 17 year-old learning his trade.

To play that many games in itself was quite an achievement with only 1 suspension, but without some experienced help was remarkable.

Exactly - EEL having played 82 league games over two seasons is the key factor here, there's absolutely no point in having a National League standard world beater constantly on the Physio's couch !
EEL Stays on 18:09 - Jun 7 with 1034 views49thseason

Whilst all defences will leak poor goals occasionally, our defensive problem for most of last season was crosses from our left hand side not being properly defended or prevented in the first instance. A bigger problem was not being ruthless enough in front of goal. Had we scored another goal every other game , say 20 more over the season we would have been into the play off places..taking chances must be an area for improvement in the coming season. I am still hopefull that we will bring in a competent left back with Armstrong as back up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024