Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Waugh 19:47 - Jul 3 with 8816 viewsShun

The Labour candidate makes note in his campaign leaflet of being a lifelong Dale fan. Has anyone seen him/spoken to him at a match or is just politician rhetoric?
Paul Waugh on 09:11 - Jul 5 with 1890 viewsD_Alien

Paul Waugh on 07:15 - Jul 5 by Dale_4_Life

Brexit has been a disaster.. Collectively we voted for it. Sadly will be several years to recover from the impact of it.

Just seen that Elsie Blundell has won Heywood / Middelton North that includes Spotland, Norden, Bamford.

Good Luck to her maybe we will see Paul and Elsie together in the future at Spotland for a game.

There is no metric by which Brexit can be considered a "disaster". All over the EU, populations are experiencing the very same problems but the mainstream media (who hated the idea of a democratic vote to upset their applecart) have done nothing but bombard us with their own take on it, which appears to have convinced some

However, if that's your considered opinion, i respect it as part of a friendly debate (c. Shun). Those calling people "morons" won't go unchallenged
[Post edited 5 Jul 9:12]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Paul Waugh on 09:28 - Jul 5 with 1827 viewsBigKindo

Paul Waugh on 07:50 - Jul 5 by isitme

Hopefully they will both work together to help the club secure training and community facilities, although I wont hold my breath.

Why? Have the Ogdens pulled out? But perhaps in true political fashion they will take credit for it and appear at the photo op.
Paul Waugh on 09:45 - Jul 5 with 1777 viewsDale_4_Life

Paul Waugh on 09:11 - Jul 5 by D_Alien

There is no metric by which Brexit can be considered a "disaster". All over the EU, populations are experiencing the very same problems but the mainstream media (who hated the idea of a democratic vote to upset their applecart) have done nothing but bombard us with their own take on it, which appears to have convinced some

However, if that's your considered opinion, i respect it as part of a friendly debate (c. Shun). Those calling people "morons" won't go unchallenged

I agree Brexit has not been helped by the Ukraine / Russia war.. Covid and to some extent the Suez Canal / Now its Yemen Houthi Pirates..

I accept as a nation we voted for it and we must crack on.

Personally i am worse off because of it (maybe partially but including it).

Working for a UK Manufacture that relies on component parts from all over Europe and the far east Brexit has put lots of red tape and strains on the business that are big concerns for our senior management team.

I am not convinced by Starmer at all but he has his chance now lets see what he can do for the nation (Cant be any worse)

Elsie is my new MP now and she looks to have the bit between her teeth long may that continue for good of the area and her constituents.
Paul Waugh on 09:54 - Jul 5 with 1750 viewswatford_dale

Paul Waugh on 09:11 - Jul 5 by D_Alien

It’s not exactly been a rip-roaring success though, from the Cambridge Econometrics report published in January 2024:

The average Briton was nearly £2,000 worse off in 2023, while the average Londoner was nearly £3,400 worse off last year as a result of Brexit.

London has 290,000 fewer jobs than if Brexit had not taken place, with half the total two million job losses nationwide coming in the financial services and construction sectors.

The economic damage is only going to get worse – with more than £300bn set to be wiped off the value of the UK’s economy by 2035 if no action is taken, and more than £60 billion wiped off the value of London’s economy alone.

Comparing a central scenario to one in which the UK stayed in the Customs Union and Single Market, by 2035, Cambridge Econometrics projects:

The UK will have 3 million fewer jobs, of which approximately 500,000 would have been in London.
The UK will have 32% lower investment, leading to lower output.
The UK will have 15.8% lower imports and 4.6% lower exports.

Give it time and your metric of ‘disaster’ will be absolutely smashed out of the park.
Paul Waugh on 10:07 - Jul 5 with 1685 viewsD_Alien

Paul Waugh on 09:45 - Jul 5 by Dale_4_Life

I agree Brexit has not been helped by the Ukraine / Russia war.. Covid and to some extent the Suez Canal / Now its Yemen Houthi Pirates..

I accept as a nation we voted for it and we must crack on.

Personally i am worse off because of it (maybe partially but including it).

Working for a UK Manufacture that relies on component parts from all over Europe and the far east Brexit has put lots of red tape and strains on the business that are big concerns for our senior management team.

I am not convinced by Starmer at all but he has his chance now lets see what he can do for the nation (Cant be any worse)

Elsie is my new MP now and she looks to have the bit between her teeth long may that continue for good of the area and her constituents.

I hear your point about 'red tape'

It is, of course, completely unnecessary for such red tape to exist - imposed by the EU cartel. It's in all our interests those barriers to free trade should be reduced, which they will. Any political organisation which adopts punitive measures against those outside it (or even worse, leaves it) is inherently setting itself up to fail in the far more globalised world than existed when the EU was formed

Its own populations are now starting to rebel against it.We can be - should be - proud to have left the EU and rejoined the rest of the world. Initial issues (i.e. red tape) will be overcome. It's not just about the short-term. The problem politicians have is trying to pretend they have answers to win the latest round of the electoral cycle, when the world is far more complex than short-term measures can possibly cope with
[Post edited 5 Jul 10:09]

Paul Waugh on 10:21 - Jul 5 with 1645 viewsD_Alien

Paul Waugh on 09:54 - Jul 5 by watford_dale

It’s not exactly been a rip-roaring success though, from the Cambridge Econometrics report published in January 2024:

The average Briton was nearly £2,000 worse off in 2023, while the average Londoner was nearly £3,400 worse off last year as a result of Brexit.

London has 290,000 fewer jobs than if Brexit had not taken place, with half the total two million job losses nationwide coming in the financial services and construction sectors.

The economic damage is only going to get worse – with more than £300bn set to be wiped off the value of the UK’s economy by 2035 if no action is taken, and more than £60 billion wiped off the value of London’s economy alone.

Comparing a central scenario to one in which the UK stayed in the Customs Union and Single Market, by 2035, Cambridge Econometrics projects:

The UK will have 3 million fewer jobs, of which approximately 500,000 would have been in London.

Give it time and your metric of ‘disaster’ will be absolutely smashed out of the park.

It wasn't my metric. The UK economy has structural problems stretching way back, most notably lack of productivity. I asked for the UK's economic performance to be viewed compared with the rest of the EU, not just in isolated terms

Why do you think EU populations are starting to vote increasingly towards right-wing parties? It's not because their countries are rip-roaring successes - precisely the opposite. The dangers resulting from the EU's myopically intransigent and sclerotic worldview are starting to come into focus, and it's not pretty

Oh, and by the way...
https://facts4eu.org/news/2024_may_uk_grows_faster_than_eu#
[Post edited 5 Jul 10:37]

Paul Waugh on 10:47 - Jul 5 with 1579 viewswatford_dale

Paul Waugh on 10:07 - Jul 5 by D_Alien

I hear your point about 'red tape'

It is, of course, completely unnecessary for such red tape to exist - imposed by the EU cartel. It's in all our interests those barriers to free trade should be reduced, which they will. Any political organisation which adopts punitive measures against those outside it (or even worse, leaves it) is inherently setting itself up to fail in the far more globalised world than existed when the EU was formed

Its own populations are now starting to rebel against it.We can be - should be - proud to have left the EU and rejoined the rest of the world. Initial issues (i.e. red tape) will be overcome. It's not just about the short-term. The problem politicians have is trying to pretend they have answers to win the latest round of the electoral cycle, when the world is far more complex than short-term measures can possibly cope with
[Post edited 5 Jul 10:09]

That would be the red tape that we were warned about, an arrangement which we were quite happy with when we were in the EU.

I believe it is just in our and not the remainder of the EU’s interests to reduce the barriers to trade and how exactly will they be reduced?

Talking of punitive measures did you know that there are 197 countries that have import tariffs.

I am also geologically positive that we were part of the rest of the world whilst we were in the EU.
Paul Waugh on 10:48 - Jul 5 with 1577 viewsDaleFan7

All this election shows is how broken the electoral system is and its not an acceptance of Labour but a rejection of the Conservatives.

Labour get a 1% increase in vote share but a 210 increase in seats.
Lib Dems have a 12% vote share and 71 seats but Reform have a 14% vote share and only 4 seats.
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Waugh on 11:06 - Jul 5 with 1537 viewsisitme

Paul Waugh on 09:28 - Jul 5 by BigKindo

Why? Have the Ogdens pulled out? But perhaps in true political fashion they will take credit for it and appear at the photo op.

Will the politicians help, or will it be in spite of, or will, as you say they do nothing and jump on a photo opportunity? That is my point.
[Post edited 5 Jul 11:10]
Paul Waugh on 11:12 - Jul 5 with 1503 viewstony_roch975

Paul Waugh on 13:10 - Jul 4 by ChaffRAFC

The likes of Lammy, Rayner and "their ilk" or Sunak, Gove, Cleverly, Dowden, Hunt, Cameron (Who is a major major part of the absolutely dustbin fire that is Brexit, a huge reason we've had so many issues to do with immigration which is pushing people towards Reform) and countless other contributors to the worst government in my lifetime. Not to mention it's previous "right honourables" in Johnson (the criminal), Truss (who literally crashed the economy), Raab, Hancock, Reece-Mogg etc.

You're right though, this isn't a Labour government like the ones previous, and there is definitely a worry that they're not the party for us woke lefties anymore but the change that's actually needed (in my opinion of course) either isn't there or isn't substantial enough a threat to the Tories.

My major worry is the momentum that Reform are building DESPITE them being shown up for what they are and what they're built on.

My biggest wish would be that the Lib Dems kick the Tories into third and become the opposition but there's not much chance of that happening unfortunately.

and that is not going to change until we introduce PR.

How can a system where the 2 leading parties get 2/3 of the seats from 1/3 of the votes be considered democratic or where Reform gets 4 seats from 4m votes or the Greens 4 seats from 2M votes whist the LibDems get 70+ from 3.5M!

PR would allow folk to vote for those who properly champion their values rather than 'lie' by voting tactically. It could lead to a realignment of the parties with a broad centerist party of Starmer, Sunak and Davey etc regularly forming a government and significant representation for at least one genuine right wing party (like Reform) and at least 1 genuine left wing party.

and if you're worried about 'extremism' - the best antidote to that is the light of being seen, heard and held to account in Parliament.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Paul Waugh on 11:16 - Jul 5 with 1492 viewsNorthernDale

I don't politicians in general and they will now't for the Dale or football in general, they may turn up for a photo opportunity, but that is about it.

I suspect that Waugh will be no different, he was born in the town, but I suspect that he is more at home nowadays in North London, then the North West.

I do apologise, I am very cynical.
[Post edited 5 Jul 11:22]
Paul Waugh on 11:56 - Jul 5 with 1410 viewsCedar_Room

Paul Waugh on 11:12 - Jul 5 by tony_roch975

and that is not going to change until we introduce PR.

How can a system where the 2 leading parties get 2/3 of the seats from 1/3 of the votes be considered democratic or where Reform gets 4 seats from 4m votes or the Greens 4 seats from 2M votes whist the LibDems get 70+ from 3.5M!

PR would allow folk to vote for those who properly champion their values rather than 'lie' by voting tactically. It could lead to a realignment of the parties with a broad centerist party of Starmer, Sunak and Davey etc regularly forming a government and significant representation for at least one genuine right wing party (like Reform) and at least 1 genuine left wing party.

and if you're worried about 'extremism' - the best antidote to that is the light of being seen, heard and held to account in Parliament.

There was a referendum in 2011 to change the electoral system and it was voted down 68% to 32%. Difficult to reopen that debate without also saying we should be looking again at other referendum issues that were decided in the 2010s.
Paul Waugh on 12:14 - Jul 5 with 1371 viewsJames1980

Paul Waugh on 11:56 - Jul 5 by Cedar_Room

There was a referendum in 2011 to change the electoral system and it was voted down 68% to 32%. Difficult to reopen that debate without also saying we should be looking again at other referendum issues that were decided in the 2010s.

I expect the result would have been different had PR been on the ballot rather than AV.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Paul Waugh on 12:19 - Jul 5 with 1357 viewswatford_dale

Paul Waugh on 12:14 - Jul 5 by James1980

I expect the result would have been different had PR been on the ballot rather than AV.

Definitely,

Labour won 2/3 of the seats with 1/3 of the vote.
Paul Waugh on 12:22 - Jul 5 with 1343 viewsJames1980

Paul Waugh on 12:19 - Jul 5 by watford_dale

Definitely,

Labour won 2/3 of the seats with 1/3 of the vote.

I meant the result of the electoral reform referendum.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Paul Waugh on 12:57 - Jul 5 with 1259 viewssxdale

I have always believed that PR is the way forward if a government/ parliament is going to truly reflect the wishes of the people, even if that means that frog faced Farage and his neo fascist friends get more representation better to have them out in the open and properly challenged.
That being said there are many forms of PR and choosing the right one is vital. I spent most of last night flicking between BBC, ITV & C4, and can't remember who said it now but the point was made that the link between a politician and their constituency must remain. You cannot have a PR system whereby politicians are chosen by central office based on the % vote.
Oh and Brexit was / is a disaster by any metric you would care to use, if you are in a trading club and then constantly stag it off and then leave it, on what planet do you think you're going to get a better deal?
Paul Waugh on 14:40 - Jul 5 with 1085 viewsD_Alien

Paul Waugh on 10:47 - Jul 5 by watford_dale

That would be the red tape that we were warned about, an arrangement which we were quite happy with when we were in the EU.

I believe it is just in our and not the remainder of the EU’s interests to reduce the barriers to trade and how exactly will they be reduced?

Talking of punitive measures did you know that there are 197 countries that have import tariffs.

I am also geologically positive that we were part of the rest of the world whilst we were in the EU.

Your geology is spot on

Did you know that our trade with the rest of the world was conditional upon tariffs imposed by the EU whilst we were members. To claim we were 'happy' with those tariffs is to mistake acquiescence with protectionism for welcoming them

The most typical example of said protectionism is, of course, the Irish border. Even the EU admitted the measures were punitive and have since been amended - that leaves scope for further amendments if we had a government with the balls to do so

All Remoaners all still failing to respond to the fundamental question of why EU populations are increasingly turning rightwards in their voting patterns. They can see the disadvantages of membership just as we did, but having joined the Euro are powerless to escape the clutches of its unelected bureaucrats (Von Der Leyen et al.) If you were happy to be overseen by unelected elites, good for you
[Post edited 5 Jul 14:53]

Paul Waugh on 15:56 - Jul 5 with 954 viewstony_roch975

Paul Waugh on 12:57 - Jul 5 by sxdale

I have always believed that PR is the way forward if a government/ parliament is going to truly reflect the wishes of the people, even if that means that frog faced Farage and his neo fascist friends get more representation better to have them out in the open and properly challenged.
That being said there are many forms of PR and choosing the right one is vital. I spent most of last night flicking between BBC, ITV & C4, and can't remember who said it now but the point was made that the link between a politician and their constituency must remain. You cannot have a PR system whereby politicians are chosen by central office based on the % vote.
Oh and Brexit was / is a disaster by any metric you would care to use, if you are in a trading club and then constantly stag it off and then leave it, on what planet do you think you're going to get a better deal?

yes, the PR devil will be in the detail.
One interesting option is to leave the constituency representative election system as it is but weight the votes of MPs in Parliament according to their party's UK 'popular' vote?
Or the House of Commons could be based on party lists and the 2nd Chamber could be geographical representation?
We need a wider constitutional debate (on Federalism, Devolution and an England Parliament, 2nd Chamber, voting systems) using discussion forums like Citizens Juries.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Paul Waugh on 17:49 - Jul 5 with 847 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Paul Waugh on 15:56 - Jul 5 by tony_roch975

yes, the PR devil will be in the detail.
One interesting option is to leave the constituency representative election system as it is but weight the votes of MPs in Parliament according to their party's UK 'popular' vote?
Or the House of Commons could be based on party lists and the 2nd Chamber could be geographical representation?
We need a wider constitutional debate (on Federalism, Devolution and an England Parliament, 2nd Chamber, voting systems) using discussion forums like Citizens Juries.

We could easily have a system like London, in which you have half of MPs elected on larger Constituencies, for example one MP for the Rochdale Borough area, and the rest voted in by PR on a regional list, possibly based on the old European election boundaries. That way you have the best of both worlds, keeping the Constituency link and having a Proportional system.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Paul Waugh on 17:52 - Jul 5 with 826 views49thseason

Paul Waugh on 09:54 - Jul 5 by watford_dale

You realise of course that half of Europe has been on the brink of or actually in recession, that the country was actually closed for the better part of 2 years and that the Climate Change nonsense has and will cost billions if not trillions of pounds. Add to all that millions more mouths to feed and more millions who add nothing to the
economy but who drain our vital services.
The Conservative lurch to the centre with the Maybot has been catastrophic and a Labour Government will be equally disasterous for the same reasons, " events dear boy events" . Biden has been an economic disaster for the West, mass legal and illegal immigration helps noone, billions spent on vaccines wasted because they didnt work.
Its hard to imagine that all these things simply happened in such a short time frame
by accident and yet here we are £2.7Trillions in debt at a cost of £100 Billions a year in debt repayments

Starmer will spend more and increase the debt, build millions of houses on green fields, make life harder for farmers, double down on intermittent energy sources, speed up the ruination of North Sea oil and gas, and with it a major part of the stock exchange and then wonder why the lights keep going out. Laughably the majority of local authority pension funds are heavily invested in Shell and BP but we don't hear many complaints about that do we?

The Tories are far from blameless in all this, they have literally sat back and let it all happen. We have been done over as a nation by smartarse, self- serving , PPE-at-Oxford educated idiots. Parliament is simply a career choice to avoid getting a proper job... watch Question Time and see a constant trail of privately educated, never- had- a- proper- job simpletons telling a carefully selected audience how its alway someone elses fault .. because they have no idea how to fix things, but hey, £90k a year and another £250k in expenses plus telly appearances, articles in the dead press and all the rest of it is much better than actually working for a living.
But go ahead, blame Brexit.. under no circumstances must you blame the incompetents and deliberate naysayers of the simple service or the Ministers who have no idea how to run a bath.. Left and Right politicians have not had a bright idea between them for decades, all they are capable of is spending more and more of our money and getting less and less value for it. With each election, the speed at which the country slides down the crapper simply increases. And now I hear that Angela Rayner, a woman whos only qualification is a positive pregnancy test, will be in charge of building millions of new houses for millions of unemployable new arrivals, what could possibly go wrong? On the plus side, at least some of the hotels might become available again for the few people who will still be able to afford a holiday.
Paul Waugh on 18:10 - Jul 5 with 772 viewssxdale

Paul Waugh on 17:52 - Jul 5 by 49thseason

You realise of course that half of Europe has been on the brink of or actually in recession, that the country was actually closed for the better part of 2 years and that the Climate Change nonsense has and will cost billions if not trillions of pounds. Add to all that millions more mouths to feed and more millions who add nothing to the
The Conservative lurch to the centre with the Maybot has been catastrophic and a Labour Government will be equally disasterous for the same reasons, " events dear boy events" . Biden has been an economic disaster for the West, mass legal and illegal immigration helps noone, billions spent on vaccines wasted because they didnt work.
Its hard to imagine that all these things simply happened in such a short time frame
by accident and yet here we are £2.7Trillions in debt at a cost of £100 Billions a year in debt repayments

Starmer will spend more and increase the debt, build millions of houses on green fields, make life harder for farmers, double down on intermittent energy sources, speed up the ruination of North Sea oil and gas, and with it a major part of the stock exchange and then wonder why the lights keep going out. Laughably the majority of local authority pension funds are heavily invested in Shell and BP but we don't hear many complaints about that do we?

The Tories are far from blameless in all this, they have literally sat back and let it all happen. We have been done over as a nation by smartarse, self- serving , PPE-at-Oxford educated idiots. Parliament is simply a career choice to avoid getting a proper job... watch Question Time and see a constant trail of privately educated, never- had- a- proper- job simpletons telling a carefully selected audience how its alway someone elses fault .. because they have no idea how to fix things, but hey, £90k a year and another £250k in expenses plus telly appearances, articles in the dead press and all the rest of it is much better than actually working for a living.
But go ahead, blame Brexit.. under no circumstances must you blame the incompetents and deliberate naysayers of the simple service or the Ministers who have no idea how to run a bath.. Left and Right politicians have not had a bright idea between them for decades, all they are capable of is spending more and more of our money and getting less and less value for it. With each election, the speed at which the country slides down the crapper simply increases. And now I hear that Angela Rayner, a woman whos only qualification is a positive pregnancy test, will be in charge of building millions of new houses for millions of unemployable new arrivals, what could possibly go wrong? On the plus side, at least some of the hotels might become available again for the few people who will still be able to afford a holiday.

Utter tripe.
Paul Waugh on 18:13 - Jul 5 with 765 views442Dale

Any need for that comment about Rayner? No matter what the thoughts are about someone’s personality/competency/politics, she’s put the hours in over the years.

Also, ironically in a remark about qualifications: *whose
[Post edited 5 Jul 18:14]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Paul Waugh on 18:20 - Jul 5 with 739 viewssxdale

Paul Waugh on 18:13 - Jul 5 by 442Dale

Any need for that comment about Rayner? No matter what the thoughts are about someone’s personality/competency/politics, she’s put the hours in over the years.

Also, ironically in a remark about qualifications: *whose
[Post edited 5 Jul 18:14]

None whatsoever, lost the entire argument with that comment.
Paul Waugh on 18:26 - Jul 5 with 706 viewsNorthernDale

The problem is, if you build houses on green belt land, you take away farm land needed for cows, sheep for example, besides farm land needed to grow crops for food. It is the same with covering fields with solar panels and if you take up green belt land for houses, what about the wildlife? It is a problem that the metropolitan elite will not address, because they don't understand the countryside or the impact of metropolitan elite policies on rural areas. Yes we need houses for British people, but we could use brown field sites, build smaller 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom houses, rather 3 or 4 bedroom houses just to generate income for the house builders. But if you combined the IQ of Miliband and Rayner, who would the policy to destroy the countryside, it would equal that of the village idiot and Starmer is the puppet of Blair and Mandelson, he is not a leader.
Paul Waugh on 18:40 - Jul 5 with 658 viewsZac_B

Paul Waugh on 17:52 - Jul 5 by 49thseason

Weird comment about Angela Rayner there?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024