Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate resigns 11:15 - Jul 16 with 2775 viewsturnthescrew

Eddie Howe early favourite for the job.
Southgate resigns on 11:24 - Jul 16 with 2755 viewsisitme

It's BBM's new project!
Southgate resigns on 11:33 - Jul 16 with 2737 viewssweetcorn

Right decision from southgate, there was undertones of it turning toxic part way through the tournament and can leave with his head held high. I think he took us as far as he was capable. Genuinely did a good job and has turned us from a joke into serious contenders.

Don't fancy Potter and cant see howe leaving newcastle. Think its too early for McKenna, so the english options arent great.

Id give poch a call and see if he fancies it. Dream appointment would be klopp, but thats pie in the sky.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Southgate resigns on 12:30 - Jul 16 with 2607 viewswheniwasyourage

Southgate resigns on 11:24 - Jul 16 by isitme

It's BBM's new project!

ahhh all makes sense now!
Southgate resigns on 12:33 - Jul 16 with 2601 viewsDaleFan7

Can't see it being anyone other than Potter or Carsley to be honest.

I'd like to see an attacking manager come in now. There wasn't a good consistent team at the Euros outside of the Spanish and when you look at the rest of the world, Brazil is the probably in its worst footballing state ever, Argentina just won Copa America but Messi isn't getting any younger, I don't think any of the African or Asian teams are ready to win a world cup.

With this group of players I don't think we're ever going to get a better chance over the next 2 to 4 years so its crucial the FA get this right.
Southgate resigns on 12:47 - Jul 16 with 2552 viewsD_Alien

Southgate resigns on 12:33 - Jul 16 by DaleFan7

Can't see it being anyone other than Potter or Carsley to be honest.

I'd like to see an attacking manager come in now. There wasn't a good consistent team at the Euros outside of the Spanish and when you look at the rest of the world, Brazil is the probably in its worst footballing state ever, Argentina just won Copa America but Messi isn't getting any younger, I don't think any of the African or Asian teams are ready to win a world cup.

With this group of players I don't think we're ever going to get a better chance over the next 2 to 4 years so its crucial the FA get this right.

Good assessment, but i really hope it's not Potter

He showed beyond any doubt that he hasn't got the authority to handle top class internationals during his spell at Chelsea

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Southgate resigns on 13:09 - Jul 16 with 2467 views1949er

I would like Thomas Frank be considered.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Southgate resigns on 13:11 - Jul 16 with 2456 viewsMoonyDale

Just had a flutter on Carsley at 4/1...Fingers crossed..

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Southgate resigns on 13:15 - Jul 16 with 2434 viewswatford_dale

Southgate resigns on 13:09 - Jul 16 by 1949er

I would like Thomas Frank be considered.

Gary O'neil at Wolves because he had to work with the squad he had due to FFP/PSR and did really well.

Howe has always had money wherever he has been.
Login to get fewer ads

Southgate resigns on 13:17 - Jul 16 with 2429 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Harry, erm Brian, oops sorry Graham Potter for me…
Southgate resigns on 13:19 - Jul 16 with 2424 viewskrafty80

For all the talk of people wanting attacking football, the game on Sunday really highlighted the same failing England have always had when they reach the business end of tournaments: we can't keep the ball well enough.

We don't have a 'six' able to boss a game. Yamal and Williams were able to flourish because they had Rodri then Zubamendi mopping everything up -- the same way Pirlo played when Italy did us in 2012 or whenever it was. The same job Makelele did for France, and before him Deschamps. Declan Rice is quality but you can see he plays in a very 'English' way of always wanting to do everything -- similar to Gerrard or even Bryan Robson going back. If we had been more attacking against Spain, as many people urged, I think we would have been embarrassed to be honest. We barely had the ball all game.

For that reason alone, I reckon the FA has to look at someone with proper tactical understanding. Keep the ball first, but use it better than we did against Slovenia and Slovakia. Then find a way to go from sideways passes to much more confident risky options -- that's the level Southgate never quite took us to. Let's hope the new manager can adapt a Mainoo or a Wharton to play that 6 role better -- if they can, we will be a huge threat at any tournament. If they can't, we'll continue to fall just short while the fans all complain that we don't attack at will.

I think Potter is the strongest candidate out there -- unless someone is very persuasive towards Pep. Maybe BBM can Whatsapp him or something...!

(As an aside, it would be fascinating to see if Pep took the job whether he would over time be accused of being too timid, as GS has been...after all, Pep's style is not 'heavy metal football' as we know...)
[Post edited 16 Jul 13:20]
Southgate resigns on 16:00 - Jul 16 with 2170 viewsDuckegg

The stuborness of Southgate cost England against the Italians in the final and several years later it was all there to see again from the group stages to the final.

Spain where excellent on Sunday and worthy champions but with the so called quality in the England squad performances should have been better.

The insistant presence of an Harry Kane in the starting 11 when he was clearly not fit enough to last 90mins not even 60mins.
The players who managed to get a bit of game time where lucky but you have to feel sorry for the rest of the squad

No matter what I think Southgate had enough of managing England prior to the tournament and he was always intending to walk away..

As for his replacements there are plenty of names banded about.
Potter.
Howe.
Carsley.
Frank.
Poch.
Touchel.

Even Klopp

Experienced younger manager who isnt afraid to make those changes and take England to the next level...

Who!
Well that is the big question as they well go down the route of bringing Carsley up from the U21..
Southgate resigns on 17:46 - Jul 16 with 2030 viewsNorthernDale

The FA will want a Yes man and not somebody who will cause them to much trouble. If you go for a foreign manager Klopp would be the obvious choice.

However if they go for an English manager, the choice is limited, I have doubts about Potter, Howe would be a strong contender, but one name not mentioned is Sean Dyche who may be a serious contender.
Southgate resigns on 18:48 - Jul 16 with 1960 viewsDuckegg

Good call with Sean Dyche......
Southgate resigns on 18:56 - Jul 16 with 1949 views49thseason

I think its Potters to lose, the football played by Brighton was scintilating stuff, he struggled at Chelsea but then so have several names on the list... Running a national team is a different job, requiring a different skillset and mindset. It must be difficult to motivate players who get huge wages and big appearence payments with the promise of a cap and £2k expenses per game. The key question is "does the FA want a winner badly enough to make a radical choice and pay the big bucks"? Or.. will they go with the " decent chap" who won't rock the boat? My sense is the latter, step forward Mr Potter. 3 points to Gryffindor! ...
Southgate resigns on 20:03 - Jul 16 with 1867 viewsEllDale

Don’t scoff but Sarina Wiegman is highly regarded within the FA walls.
It’s no dafter a suggestion than some names I’ve heard mentioned.
Southgate resigns on 06:12 - Jul 17 with 1537 viewswindowsbug2002

Southgate resigns on 20:03 - Jul 16 by EllDale

Don’t scoff but Sarina Wiegman is highly regarded within the FA walls.
It’s no dafter a suggestion than some names I’ve heard mentioned.

And it would tick all the woke boxes
Southgate resigns on 09:44 - Jul 17 with 1411 viewsBarryStrange

Southgate resigns on 18:56 - Jul 16 by 49thseason

I think its Potters to lose, the football played by Brighton was scintilating stuff, he struggled at Chelsea but then so have several names on the list... Running a national team is a different job, requiring a different skillset and mindset. It must be difficult to motivate players who get huge wages and big appearence payments with the promise of a cap and £2k expenses per game. The key question is "does the FA want a winner badly enough to make a radical choice and pay the big bucks"? Or.. will they go with the " decent chap" who won't rock the boat? My sense is the latter, step forward Mr Potter. 3 points to Gryffindor! ...

Not sure the FA can really please everyone to be honest.

Personally I don't get why they have to be English - appealing to that brought in McClaren and Hodgson, who were both disastrous. If they did, I would rather Potter than Howe. Potter can't really be blamed for Chelsea not working, it's been a complete basket case since that idiot took over in the boardroom. And he did get Brighton playing some brilliant football.

Conversely, I have always felt Howe gets a preposterously easy media ride for a guy who has had money everywhere he managed other than Burnley, which was his one failure. And took Newcastle out of the CL as quickly as he took them into it.

Klopp would be great but did make it very clear he wants a break after Liverpool - maybe the answer is let someone like Carsley shepherd us through the first few WC qualifiers to the point Klopp has cleared his head a bit.
Southgate resigns on 12:33 - Jul 17 with 1265 viewsBrierls

Southgate resigns on 11:33 - Jul 16 by sweetcorn

Right decision from southgate, there was undertones of it turning toxic part way through the tournament and can leave with his head held high. I think he took us as far as he was capable. Genuinely did a good job and has turned us from a joke into serious contenders.

Don't fancy Potter and cant see howe leaving newcastle. Think its too early for McKenna, so the english options arent great.

Id give poch a call and see if he fancies it. Dream appointment would be klopp, but thats pie in the sky.

McKenna isn’t English either.

I’ve no problem with the England manager not being English, my choice in a perfect world is also Klopp. He has expressed an interest in managing at international level (though he was asked about Germany) but seemed adamant he was sticking to plans of having a break when approached for the USA job very recently. Would an approach from England get a different response? He gets English and European football. It would be great and the added bonus of tears from the “Scouse not English” brigade.

A request-a-bet for a German manager may not be a bad shout; Klopp and Tuchel immediately spring to mind, but then you see the experience of Rangnick and the way his Austria team played in Euro2024. Edin Terzic (German-Croat) is the sort of coach the FA like.

The English options are surely only Potter and Howe? Potter did an excellent job at Brighton and again is a studious Southgate type, albeit with a more attacking philosophy. He’d be my choice of Englishmen ahead of Howe, though Howe has built a very good reputation.

Whoever is appointed must continue the transformation that Southgate spearheaded off the pitch.
Southgate resigns on 14:43 - Jul 17 with 1145 viewsDaleFan7

Southgate resigns on 12:33 - Jul 17 by Brierls

McKenna isn’t English either.

I’ve no problem with the England manager not being English, my choice in a perfect world is also Klopp. He has expressed an interest in managing at international level (though he was asked about Germany) but seemed adamant he was sticking to plans of having a break when approached for the USA job very recently. Would an approach from England get a different response? He gets English and European football. It would be great and the added bonus of tears from the “Scouse not English” brigade.

A request-a-bet for a German manager may not be a bad shout; Klopp and Tuchel immediately spring to mind, but then you see the experience of Rangnick and the way his Austria team played in Euro2024. Edin Terzic (German-Croat) is the sort of coach the FA like.

The English options are surely only Potter and Howe? Potter did an excellent job at Brighton and again is a studious Southgate type, albeit with a more attacking philosophy. He’d be my choice of Englishmen ahead of Howe, though Howe has built a very good reputation.

Whoever is appointed must continue the transformation that Southgate spearheaded off the pitch.

They appointed Southgate off the back of finishing bottom of the group in U21 Euro 2015. Carsley won the Euros against a really strong Spain team last year and I think that will be weighing on the FA's mind.
Southgate resigns on 17:05 - Jul 17 with 1019 viewsfinberty

As a person expert in harbouring grudges, I would not back Poch, ever since he wailed, stomped and threw the toys out over the state of the COA pitch - wanted it digging up and relaying IIRC. Whilst the observation may have been accurate, our lads had to play on it every fortnight and his multi-millionaires should've just got on with it likewise. A whinger in my book, and won't do for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024