Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 119374 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:44 - May 23 with 1654 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:35 - May 15 by mikehunt

Not sure if these have been mentioned but here goes:
Watching Rochdale Amateur Operatic Society perform Gibert &Sullivan at the Hippodrome. Then having a Chinese at The Bluebird (?) The first foreign restaurant in town (I think)- near the Salvation Army hall.
The slate piss stones at the bottom of Molesworth Street - they drained directly into the river.
There was a Methodist (?) Chapel that got demolished opposite those stones on Molesworth Street. Went in just before it got wrecked and it looked a beautiful place.
Vavasour Street: Had Newbold Infant school and a whole street of shops culminating at the Vavasour Hotel where, as little 'uns we used to gather to watch the fights.

The Chinese next to Champness Hall was called the Bamboo Curtain.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:32 - Jun 5 with 1208 viewsmikehunt

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:19 - May 23 by 49thseason

Mike, you must be much older than I imagined, the Operatic Society ( now Rochdale Musical Theatre Company) have not played a G&S show since 1929! I think the Hipperdrome was knocked down in 1970 and for a while, the Society played at the Regal Cinema before eventually moving to the Gracie Fields Theatre in 1977 when the new Oulder Hill School opened. Not that the GFT was ready for hosting shows as the Society had to invest a large wedge of money to build a flying gallery above the stage to enable cloth backdrops and lighting bars to be hauled in and out .

Alas, the GFT is no longer useable as a Theatre thanks to the Private Finance Initiative ( PFI ) which led to it becoming effectively privately owned, and lettings ceased and the RMTC has had to move into the Champness Hall where a great deal of money needs to be spent to turn it into a genuine theatre. However, despite the difficulties, the RMTC has just performed 9 sell-out showings of Beauty and the Beast there to standing ovations.

He he. Not quite that old 49th. But I definitely saw 2 or 3 G&S productions at the Hippodrome. The Mikado for sure. I'm thinking 1965 -ish. My mother worked with someone at Rochdale Baths from whom she used to get the tickets.
Wonder who the outfit were then ....
[Post edited 5 Jun 16:37]

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:15 - Jun 5 with 1149 viewsEllDale

For some reason Heywood AODS staged several productions at the Hippodrome in the 1960s so it could have been them? Perhaps Heywood Civic Hall was being built?
I definitely saw them do “The King and I” during this period.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:06 - Jun 5 with 1076 viewsdavidab2202

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:26 - Nov 12 by bluevein64

I can't recall the tripe shop in Rochdale but I can clearly remember the one in Bacup (the Rochdale bus stopped directly out side) selling tripe (obviously) elder (cows udder) and all sorts of delicious (only kidding) offal as previously mentioned, it closed in the mid ish 70's - the posts about Franny got me thinking about a crew of Dale Grebo's the used to frequent Taylors Cafe - I remember a couple of names such as "Vinnie and Sunshine (probably not regarded as being PC these days)" I wonder if anyone remembers then and where they are now - anyone remember the Rag "N" Bone man (horse and cart) calling out "Rag Bone - any old rags" you'd get given a "Donkey Stone" in exchange for rags - up until the late 60's the women well, some women, probably not Franny! would "sud and scrub" (hands and knees) their front door step/s (on a daily basis) then decorate the step edge with the sand colored Donkey stone - Milk being delivery by horse and cart ...........happy daze!

Seen there is mention of milk being delivered with horse and float
Could well have been my Father, and I used to go with him on Saturdays and Sundays.
Somebody must have good memory as reckon that must be 60 years ago as my Father died over 50 years ago
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:36 - Jun 5 with 1032 viewsChauncey

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:26 - Nov 12 by bluevein64

I can't recall the tripe shop in Rochdale but I can clearly remember the one in Bacup (the Rochdale bus stopped directly out side) selling tripe (obviously) elder (cows udder) and all sorts of delicious (only kidding) offal as previously mentioned, it closed in the mid ish 70's - the posts about Franny got me thinking about a crew of Dale Grebo's the used to frequent Taylors Cafe - I remember a couple of names such as "Vinnie and Sunshine (probably not regarded as being PC these days)" I wonder if anyone remembers then and where they are now - anyone remember the Rag "N" Bone man (horse and cart) calling out "Rag Bone - any old rags" you'd get given a "Donkey Stone" in exchange for rags - up until the late 60's the women well, some women, probably not Franny! would "sud and scrub" (hands and knees) their front door step/s (on a daily basis) then decorate the step edge with the sand colored Donkey stone - Milk being delivery by horse and cart ...........happy daze!

Bloody hell I had forgotten all about the disgusting food that you lot used to eat back in the day,tripe shops? cows udders? Offal? was there no part of an animal that you wouldn’t eat?
Nice to see Frannys name again in a post though,I would have loved to have met her (to chat,nowt else)
[Post edited 5 Jun 18:41]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:20 - Jun 5 with 868 viewsmikehunt

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:06 - Jun 5 by davidab2202

Seen there is mention of milk being delivered with horse and float
Could well have been my Father, and I used to go with him on Saturdays and Sundays.
Somebody must have good memory as reckon that must be 60 years ago as my Father died over 50 years ago

Where I lived (Newbold) we had the last horse delivered milk in the country - was featured on tv at the time. The horse looked like Mr Ed and knew it's route by heart: where and when to stop and everything, without being led. It was a lady who was always out with it as I remember.
[Post edited 6 Jun 9:07]

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:54 - Jun 5 with 849 viewsD_Alien

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:20 - Jun 5 by mikehunt

Where I lived (Newbold) we had the last horse delivered milk in the country - was featured on tv at the time. The horse looked like Mr Ed and knew it's route by heart: where and when to stop and everything, without being led. It was a lady who was always out with it as I remember.
[Post edited 6 Jun 9:07]

Most won't have a clue about Mr Ed, so here's the intro:

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:10 - Jun 6 with 739 viewsmikehunt

Brilliant DA 👏.

Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:39 - Jun 6 with 725 viewsEllDale

I haven’t opened it but I can’t get that theme tune out of my head at work now!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:40 - Jun 6 with 690 viewsD_Alien

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:39 - Jun 6 by EllDale

I haven’t opened it but I can’t get that theme tune out of my head at work now!

As a cure, open this one:

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:11 - Jun 6 with 613 views49thseason

How many rushed to turn the radio on at 5pm when Dale were playing away?
We should use this as walkout music....( its official title is Out of the Blue)
[Post edited 6 Jun 12:12]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:53 - Jun 6 with 575 viewspioneer

Brilliant tunes….who said nostalgia aint what it used to be?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:54 - Jun 7 with 338 viewsdownunder

Had to put this up. Plenty of theme tunes with a 60's feel about at this time (The Persuaders, The Saint for example). I had to argue with my parents to be allowed to stay up for this series. Ahead of its time, and different.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024