Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v NZ thread 17:32 - May 16 with 2096 viewsColDale

Very concerned about Compton at the top of the innings. He seems to have weakened what was an excellent top order, and I know Strauss is very difficult to replace, but we've become somewhat brittle. I know he got a couple of tons in NZ, but I hate to say I agree with the Yorkies, but I'd feel much more comfortable with Root alongside Cook at the top.
England v NZ thread on 12:54 - May 19 with 802 viewsColDale

England v NZ thread on 12:39 - May 19 by D_Alien

Yep, those blows he struck with the bat have fired him up again! Just needs greater consistency now to fulfill the promise of his genuine talent

he's certainly an enigma is Broad. Is it a confidence thing with him? Certainly, those runs this morning seemed to have made a difference to him.

Great morning's cricket so far.
England v NZ thread on 13:02 - May 19 with 774 viewsmacro

29-6 is crazy cricket!
England v NZ thread on 13:02 - May 19 with 773 viewsD_Alien

England v NZ thread on 12:54 - May 19 by ColDale

he's certainly an enigma is Broad. Is it a confidence thing with him? Certainly, those runs this morning seemed to have made a difference to him.

For all the moaning of the non-traditionalists after the slow first day, this has been as engrossing a game of test cricket as you could wish for

NZ must be totally demoralised, but hope they can provide some decent opposition for the remaining tests before the Ashes start

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England v NZ thread on 13:05 - May 19 with 765 viewsD_Alien

England v NZ thread on 13:02 - May 19 by macro

29-6 is crazy cricket!

10 wickets in a morning's session, in a test match at Lords - must be a record surely?

England v NZ thread on 13:07 - May 19 with 759 viewsDaley_Lama

Broady is without a doubt streaky, bur when he's on it, he's as good as there is out there.

I think it's because he gets his head muddled. Years ago he was doing all sorts of things in his run up in ODIs, pulling faces, chucking his arm out etc. when he was told to simply bowl he suddenly became half decent.

He appears to be a bit dim as a bowler. First innings even the missus could have told him to pitch it up, it took him to day 3 to do that. Jimmy and Finn were doing it straight up.

Poll: DF in or out

England v NZ thread on 13:09 - May 19 with 747 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

England v NZ thread on 12:54 - May 19 by ColDale

I wonder if its an application thing?

Some of his cricketing decisions at times need to be questions whether it be batting or bowling. Trying to knock the batsmens head off rather than getting them out or trying to hit every ball out of the ground.

He has been visibly working hard with the bowling coach this test, could this because he finally gets what he needs to do, or because Tim Bresnan is healthy again?

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

England v NZ thread on 14:46 - May 19 with 698 viewsisitme

That was a good win.

Booked a ticket for Saturday. I didn't think that there would be any left.
England v NZ thread on 15:23 - May 19 with 675 viewsDaley_Lama

Wonder when the last time was that England bowled a side out without making a bowling change?

Login to get fewer ads

England v NZ thread on 15:28 - May 19 with 671 viewsisitme

Double post.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
England v NZ thread on 15:52 - May 19 with 654 viewsTalkingSutty

England v NZ thread on 14:46 - May 19 by isitme

That was a good win.

Booked a ticket for Saturday. I didn't think that there would be any left.

See you there.
England v NZ thread on 16:23 - May 19 with 641 viewsisitme

England v NZ thread on 15:52 - May 19 by TalkingSutty

See you there.

What stand are you in?
England v NZ thread on 22:08 - May 19 with 583 viewsTalkingSutty

England v NZ thread on 16:23 - May 19 by isitme

What stand are you in?

Will PM you.
England v NZ thread on 22:11 - May 19 with 578 viewsTVOS1907

England v NZ thread on 22:08 - May 19 by TalkingSutty

Will PM you.

Is 'Will PM You' related to 'Will Alan Young' and 'Will.I.Am Buckley'?

Anyway, are you taking roccy with you to Headingley?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

England v NZ thread on 22:26 - May 19 with 567 viewsTalkingSutty

England v NZ thread on 22:11 - May 19 by TVOS1907

Is 'Will PM You' related to 'Will Alan Young' and 'Will.I.Am Buckley'?

Anyway, are you taking roccy with you to Headingley?

No, i will be having a drink.
England v NZ thread on 22:33 - May 19 with 562 viewsdownunder

Oh dear. Fulton reverting back to type, and the rest follow suit. Oh well, at least England won. Hope the Black caps make a game of it in the next test.
England v NZ thread on 09:28 - May 20 with 522 viewsTalkingSutty

England v NZ thread on 16:23 - May 19 by isitme

What stand are you in?

East Stand-T block. Catching 0824hrs train from Littleborough to Leeds. I will PM you my mobile number.
England v NZ thread on 13:06 - May 26 with 447 viewsD_Alien

England v NZ thread on 14:12 - May 18 by Daley_Lama

For me it's Finn v Bresnan alone, Broad is not in the equation.

Broad is a guarantee, he takes big wickets and is a better bowler than either of the above two despite statistics showing different.

p.s. I'd stick with Finn myself. In 5 years time I hope he is doing what JImmy does, lead the pack.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

And it was the correct decision to stick with Finn.

When the ball's not swinging much, he offers something that Bresnan just doesn't have in his locker. That test average of 28.4 is looking better all the time.

England v NZ thread on 17:40 - May 26 with 399 viewsColDale

Time's up for Compton now. A woeful innings in a situation which was probably put together solely for him, and he played like someone trying to find his feet rather than doing his role for the team. I know he's a very good player, but the Aussies will already have him earmarked as our weakest link.
England v NZ thread on 17:48 - May 26 with 393 viewsDaley_Lama

Totally agree Col but I predict he will start the first Ashes test, KP in for Bairstow and Root at 6.

England din't drop batsmen easily and Compton's two centuries will be used as backing.

Root looks good at 6 and promoting him to open will be negated on that point. He's not facing the new ball, he's a kid etc.

A left field prediction would be a completely new opener, Carberry or someone else.

Can't see it however and as long as England are winning, or not losing at least I reckon Compton will be backed for a while longer.

England v NZ thread on 16:35 - May 27 with 339 viewsdilligas

Compton injured it seems and off the field. Injury might save his blushes and being dropped
England v NZ thread on 18:41 - May 27 with 311 viewsD_Alien

What on earth Cook/Flower were thinking in taking the England 2nd innings beyond lunch is anyone's guess.

The 2-0 should've been wrapped up by now; instead, its reliant on a very dodgy weather forecast for tomorrow.

No team in test history has scored more than 418 chasing victory, and that was the Windies on the flattest of tracks at St. John's with Lara in his pomp.

468? From this NZ line-up against Swann? It's a joke.

England v NZ thread on 15:47 - May 28 with 255 viewsColDale

have England got out of jail or have they been vindicated in all the decisions? Perhaps a little bit of both. I can understand not enforcing the follow on, but still think we should have put the Kiwis in for a couple of overs before lunch yesterday. We've got lucky with the weather a bit, but it's still a test win within three and a half days of cricket.

Overall though, I think its been a great series for England. Out of the 11 players, there has been many stand out performers especially from the bowlers who have all performed. Bring on the Ausses (after this stupid one day comp).
England v NZ thread on 16:30 - May 28 with 233 viewsD_Alien

England v NZ thread on 15:47 - May 28 by ColDale

have England got out of jail or have they been vindicated in all the decisions? Perhaps a little bit of both. I can understand not enforcing the follow on, but still think we should have put the Kiwis in for a couple of overs before lunch yesterday. We've got lucky with the weather a bit, but it's still a test win within three and a half days of cricket.

Overall though, I think its been a great series for England. Out of the 11 players, there has been many stand out performers especially from the bowlers who have all performed. Bring on the Ausses (after this stupid one day comp).

If this had been the last test of the Ashes series and we needed a draw, the decisions would've been correct.

But at some point, we're going to have to make a declaration to win a game and my concern is that the captain/management don't know how to make that call.

(A bit like Coleman not knowing how to change the formation mid-game).

This was the ideal opportunity to learn how to do that.

You're right, we were damned lucky with the weather.

England v NZ thread on 17:03 - May 28 with 218 viewsDaley_Lama

While totally agreeing the decision to bat again and bat slowly and bat long was the wrong one, your point D_alien re: the last game of the ashes actually adds weight to the defence that the above decision was right.

The only real defence is that we were 1:0 up, a draw would secure the series, we batted them out of the game but left ourselves the time to win, even though we didn't need too.

I'd have made them follow on without a doubt, but cautious Cook may see a series win above a test win.

England v NZ thread on 18:31 - May 28 with 181 viewsD_Alien

England v NZ thread on 17:03 - May 28 by Daley_Lama

While totally agreeing the decision to bat again and bat slowly and bat long was the wrong one, your point D_alien re: the last game of the ashes actually adds weight to the defence that the above decision was right.

The only real defence is that we were 1:0 up, a draw would secure the series, we batted them out of the game but left ourselves the time to win, even though we didn't need too.

I'd have made them follow on without a doubt, but cautious Cook may see a series win above a test win.

"your point D_alien re: the last game of the ashes actually adds weight to the defence that the above decision was right. "

I don't think it does, though. I'm concerned about the inflexibility within the England camp in making decisions based on a range of (admittedly complex) factors. My fear is that when it really matters, Cook will bottle a bold declaration which could save us a test series simply because he's not been able (or allowed) to think along anything but ultra-cautious lines. It's not easy to change that type of mindset (hence my point about Coleman).

Yesterday presented him with a virtually risk-free opportunity to declare with intent, rather than caution.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024