Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed 21:57 - Jul 21 with 9839 viewsmodelboydave

Have just spend the weekend with my second cousin, he was telling me about a photo that exists of his father and a friend taken at the Rochdale v cambridge match in 1974 played on a Monday afternoon. The photo showed his father and a friend stood on the terrace with no one else around. The match was the lowest post war football league attendance.

He seems to remember it may have been printed in TVOS at the time, and was also printed in a magazine called titbits....( no I have never heard if it either)

Long shot but don't suppose this rings a bell with any older dalies?

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:02 - Jul 21 with 7446 viewsTalkingSutty

I think the crowd was about 450.
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:28 - Jul 21 with 7395 viewsTVOS1907

TVOS didn't exist in 1974

I know the picture you mean, although I can't recall where I last saw it.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:43 - Jul 21 with 7369 viewsroccydaleian

Don't know owt about photo's, but i was at the game itself. For some reason our full class got bussed there from school. Think, it was played in the afternoon coz of power cuts or summat.
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:52 - Jul 21 with 7362 viewspioneer

The game was played on a Tuesday (5th February) during the power cuts (the reason for the afternoon kick off).

I was there, and 450 was 'padded'. I think they counted all season ticket holders in the official attendence.

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 23:29 - Jul 21 with 7344 viewsSuddenLad

I was another who was at the game. It just happened to be my day off, but many schools and businesses were doing a "3-day week" or were closing for half a day at a time because of power cuts and coal shortages. That was why the game was played at what was otherwise a ridiculous time.

Floodlights weren't allowed to be used. Titbits was a magazine of the time along with Reveille which were full of snippets of news on all manner of subjects along with competitions to win such wonderful prizes as tea towels and cruet sets.

Oh happy day !

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 23:58 - Jul 21 with 7310 viewsroccydaleian

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 23:29 - Jul 21 by SuddenLad

I was another who was at the game. It just happened to be my day off, but many schools and businesses were doing a "3-day week" or were closing for half a day at a time because of power cuts and coal shortages. That was why the game was played at what was otherwise a ridiculous time.

Floodlights weren't allowed to be used. Titbits was a magazine of the time along with Reveille which were full of snippets of news on all manner of subjects along with competitions to win such wonderful prizes as tea towels and cruet sets.

Oh happy day !

Happy days indeed, i was just a ten year old then. Just come across this photo, which i think is of said game. The kits check out.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREjOmSYNp-PnS64sHpHDkfghmk
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 06:32 - Jul 22 with 7262 viewsseasidedale

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 23:29 - Jul 21 by SuddenLad

Oh happy day !

I was there, I remember that the club said the attendance was 588 including season tickets but 450 without, I sure this low has been beaten since but cant remember who it was
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 06:57 - Jul 22 with 7255 viewsdavidab2202

Official attendance given as 588,we lost the game 2-0,but then no surprise there as we only won 2 games all that season(one home-Shrewsbury 3-2 and one away Southend 2-1) and finished with 21 pts.We also had 4 other home gates under 1000 that season--got to say they were very dark days,not intended as a pun!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 08:31 - Jul 22 with 7208 viewsmodelboydave

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 06:57 - Jul 22 by davidab2202

Official attendance given as 588,we lost the game 2-0,but then no surprise there as we only won 2 games all that season(one home-Shrewsbury 3-2 and one away Southend 2-1) and finished with 21 pts.We also had 4 other home gates under 1000 that season--got to say they were very dark days,not intended as a pun!!!

Thanks for all the info guys.

TVOS - I think it did !! I seem to remember the first edition was published against Fulham on 29th nov 1969 ( off the top of my head!)

See if you can rack your brains, I have been challenged to find the photo.

Titbits was apparently the type of magazine you read in the barbers. Not having visited one for over 10 years I wouldn't know

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 09:02 - Jul 22 with 7180 viewsBigKindo

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 08:31 - Jul 22 by modelboydave

TVOS - I think it did !! I seem to remember the first edition was published against Fulham on 29th nov 1969 ( off the top of my head!)

Titbits was apparently the type of magazine you read in the barbers. Not having visited one for over 10 years I wouldn't know

Titbits was a magazine that interested teenage boys with erupting acne. Unfortunately it never lived up to it's title. Not having visited the barbers for ten years? Then baldness does have it's advantages.

I too was present at the game being on a three day week during a miners dispute. I totally blame that well known son of Barnsley, Arthur Scargill, for my having to attend the match.
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 09:03 - Jul 22 with 7176 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 08:31 - Jul 22 by modelboydave

TVOS was just the title of an opinion/editorial column back in the day; that's where I pinched the name from.

I've got Stuart Clarke's 'Homes of Football' exhibition in my mind for the picture I'm thinking of, so it might be worth contacting him. The picture doesn't come up on his website but it will be regularly updated and changed.

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 10:03 - Jul 23 with 7035 viewsmodelboydave

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 09:03 - Jul 22 by TVOS1907

TVOS was just the title of an opinion/editorial column back in the day; that's where I pinched the name from.

I've got Stuart Clarke's 'Homes of Football' exhibition in my mind for the picture I'm thinking of, so it might be worth contacting him. The picture doesn't come up on his website but it will be regularly updated and changed.

Cheers TVOS

Does he have photos from back in the 70s - didn't realise he was that old. I recently went it his exhibition in Mannchester didn't see any dale related stuff, but I know he has quite a few old dale shots I have seen in the past

Dave

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 19:20 - Jul 23 with 6956 viewsArthurDaley

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 09:02 - Jul 22 by BigKindo

Titbits was a magazine that interested teenage boys with erupting acne. Unfortunately it never lived up to it's title. Not having visited the barbers for ten years? Then baldness does have it's advantages.

I too was present at the game being on a three day week during a miners dispute. I totally blame that well known son of Barnsley, Arthur Scargill, for my having to attend the match.

Wonder where they got the name from, still it had one bit of advice in it.

A large VAT Dave

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 19:58 - Jul 23 with 6920 viewsdebbiesfella

I was also there, I worked in a bakery at the time and the ovens could only be on very early hours.
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 20:39 - Jul 23 with 6890 viewsdogboy

Even thinking of that season gives me a cold sweat, I have a photo of me wearing that awful shirt on holiday in 1974 and I was still smiling after that tragic season.

I can still feel the humiliation that I got at school after that attendance and to add to the misery we previously lost to Grantham in the FAC after being 3-1 up at half time ..I could go on as that season is etched in my soul.

However that season still haunts me to this day as recently a Subbuteo team in that awful kit was sold on e bay for about £360 and yes I did have it and I can still feel the pain on my knee as I crushed Bobby Downes, Arthur Marsh, Len Kinsella and Dick Renwick into plastic oblivion as I knelt on the green pitch on the carpet.
If you have got in your attic Subbuteo ref 167 get it on e bay as I suspect that the last one was a fake as the base looked decidedly dodgy and had a blue and white base and it looked like an overpaint of a Raith Rovers kit ( am I showing signs of extreme bitterness and need to get out more).

There is a slight light at the end of the tunnel as I am one of the few of us who has the programme of that tragic day, I know that they are few and far between as I regularly used to skip rat around the ground and in horror one day saw hundreds of the Cambridge programmes cascaded among the detritus at the bottom of the skip, I tried to save them as I knew they would be heirlooms for my Grandchildren of that fateful day however, I failed and have only saved about four.
I still feel that full responsibility so help me free my soul and let me know that you have one and history is restored and that fateful day will never be forgotten.
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 20:57 - Jul 23 with 6861 viewsseasidedale

That season stopped me betting on football matches involving Dale. I had a bet with a school pal who was an Oldham fan, that we would go up, I have never bet on Dale since as I dont want to jinx things
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:17 - Jul 23 with 6827 viewsmodelboydave

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 19:20 - Jul 23 by ArthurDaley

Wonder where they got the name from, still it had one bit of advice in it.

It's nice to know the issues of the day tidbits dealt with are just as relevant today - esp the one top left

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:33 - Jul 23 with 6807 viewsroccydaleian

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:17 - Jul 23 by modelboydave

It's nice to know the issues of the day tidbits dealt with are just as relevant today - esp the one top left

Aye, and here's the two biggest tits of all time, to feature on the cover.
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 14:24 - May 31 with 4461 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Are you still looking for this photo Dave? It’s on Pinterest, I took a copy from there.
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 14:34 - May 31 with 4433 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 14:24 - May 31 by Albert_Whitehurst

Are you still looking for this photo Dave? It’s on Pinterest, I took a copy from there.

I think I sent a large resolution copy of the pic to Dave last year, but I could be imagining it.

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 15:10 - May 31 with 4383 viewsDaleiLama

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 14:34 - May 31 by TVOS1907

I think I sent a large resolution copy of the pic to Dave last year, but I could be imagining it.

Sounds like you imaged it?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 15:12 - May 31 with 4381 viewsForever_and_a_Dale

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/301459768800173383/

Is this the image?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd47R4iBChT/

Also on instagram if you have trouble with pinterest
[Post edited 31 May 2019 15:13]
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 15:21 - May 31 with 4354 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 15:10 - May 31 by DaleiLama

Sounds like you imaged it?

I’m sure Dave will let me know.

Edit - I was thinking of the action photo from that game with Graham Smith and Stan Horne featured, so I was definitely imagining it!
[Post edited 31 May 2019 15:23]

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 15:26 - May 31 with 4345 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 15:12 - May 31 by Forever_and_a_Dale

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/301459768800173383/

Is this the image?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd47R4iBChT/

Also on instagram if you have trouble with pinterest
[Post edited 31 May 2019 15:13]

That picture’s from a different game.

Dale wore white in the infamous 1974 Cambridge match, while the visitors were in their usual amber & black.

Great image though.
[Post edited 31 May 2019 15:27]

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 18:53 - May 31 with 4190 viewsmikehunt

Is it the Dale even. There seem too many trees.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024