Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best 2 dale goals witnessed 13:57 - Mar 13 with 2364 viewsolympicdale

Going on the theme of looking back in time, what are the top 2 goals you have witnessed, scored by the Dale, home or away, might be the importance of it, or just ones that stick in your mind, my 2 would be:

1. Jason Peake v Halifax. This was the most amazing goal id seen in my early days following the Dale, actually got to the ground late, no sooner had i sat down Peakey struck a superb overhead scissor kick goal, truly amazing goal and well worth the entry fee alone.

2. Tom Kennedy v Bury. It may have been only a penalty to seal Dale's 3-0 win against bury, but it is the aftermath that will stick in all peoples minds, the amazement when TK ran the entire length of the away end gourding the bury lot just compounded the day for their lot, and made it a day to remember for us.

Honourable mentions to Lee Todds freekick against Brighton at spotland in the final minutes (i think) and TK's last minute freekick vs Chesterfield couple years back at the sandy lane.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Life is a game of fate.

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:22 - Mar 13 with 1958 viewsChaffRAFC

In terms of quality:

1. Grant Holt v Macclesfield (Zidane turn on the edge of the box before score. I still try and recreate that while I'm pissed)

2. Jason Peake v Halifax (Absolutely genius goal. One of my early away games and one I'll never forget.

Honourable mentions to:

Gary Jones v Bristol Rovers (Fabulous half volley before he left for Barnsley)

Gary Jones v Southampton (Stunning strike from distance)

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:30 - Mar 13 with 1951 viewsjudd

Rob Wakenshaw v Halifax (H) in the Great Escape season I think

Kev Townson lob v lowly bury for exceptional piss taking.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:42 - Mar 13 with 1930 viewsdingdangblue

1. Dave Perkins v Darlington 2. Ben Muirhead v Darlington. The best Dale game too, Full house and Full of Drama. And we won on Telly!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:46 - Mar 13 with 1924 viewsolympicdale

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:22 - Mar 13 by ChaffRAFC

In terms of quality:

1. Grant Holt v Macclesfield (Zidane turn on the edge of the box before score. I still try and recreate that while I'm pissed)

2. Jason Peake v Halifax (Absolutely genius goal. One of my early away games and one I'll never forget.

Honourable mentions to:

Gary Jones v Bristol Rovers (Fabulous half volley before he left for Barnsley)

Gary Jones v Southampton (Stunning strike from distance)

I was thinking of including that goal v macc, sublime bit of skill.

Life is a game of fate.

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:47 - Mar 13 with 1923 viewsSandy_Lane

1. Grant Holt vs Shrewsbury into the goal at the WMG end. With his back to goal about 25 yards out on the side of the pitch next to the main stand he chested it down and turned in one move, before lashing the half volley into the far corner. I think it's on that GH compilation on YouTube somewhere.

2. Rickie Lambert vs (can't remember). It was a Tuesday night match and Dale had a free goal (some people called them free kicks, but anyone who knew Lambert knew what the outcome would be). Just on the edge of the area to the right of the Sandy goal as you look at it from the WMG. Lambert runs up, the wall jumps, he passes it under the jumping wall into the corner of the goal. Sublime.

There are probably others, but this was a bit of a Halcyon period for Dale up front and I have very fond memories of it. Some cracking goals.
Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:50 - Mar 13 with 1914 viewsSuddenLad

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:47 - Mar 13 by Sandy_Lane

1. Grant Holt vs Shrewsbury into the goal at the WMG end. With his back to goal about 25 yards out on the side of the pitch next to the main stand he chested it down and turned in one move, before lashing the half volley into the far corner. I think it's on that GH compilation on YouTube somewhere.

2. Rickie Lambert vs (can't remember). It was a Tuesday night match and Dale had a free goal (some people called them free kicks, but anyone who knew Lambert knew what the outcome would be). Just on the edge of the area to the right of the Sandy goal as you look at it from the WMG. Lambert runs up, the wall jumps, he passes it under the jumping wall into the corner of the goal. Sublime.

There are probably others, but this was a bit of a Halcyon period for Dale up front and I have very fond memories of it. Some cracking goals.

I thought goal (1) that you describe was AGAINST Dale ? A brilliant piece of individual skill, but whilst wearing a Shrewsbury shirt.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:51 - Mar 13 with 1911 viewsolympicdale

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:50 - Mar 13 by SuddenLad

I thought goal (1) that you describe was AGAINST Dale ? A brilliant piece of individual skill, but whilst wearing a Shrewsbury shirt.

yes and he slid on his knees celebrating in front of the WMG, classy guy, we had last laugh with 2 McEvilly goals:)

Life is a game of fate.

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:57 - Mar 13 with 1902 viewsClivert

Whitehall's effort that won 'Granada Goal Of The Month' Vs Exeter in 1995, controlled on his knee and then volleyed in from the edge of the box.

Perkins Vs Darlo as mentioned above just for the ape shit celebrations around Spotland.
Login to get fewer ads

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:57 - Mar 13 with 1902 viewsSandy_Lane

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 14:50 - Mar 13 by SuddenLad

Just checked the YT video and it's against Oxford the one I'm thinking of, and he doesn't chest it he controls it with his right instep. I got the rest right though. It's 2:00 mins in on the vid.

Oops, my bad.
Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 15:24 - Mar 13 with 1861 viewsD_Alien

I'm going to stick with my previous "one old, one new" theme

Best old - Dennis Butler turning inside and slotting home into the Sandy Lane end v. Coventry to win 2-1, January 1971. Couldn't do the apeshit celebration - we were packed in too tight!

Best new - Jonah at St Mary's. In terms of quality and significance combined, that will take some beating.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 15:46 - Mar 13 with 1828 viewsYadHoDale

1. Steve O'Shaughnessy vs Northampton in the cup. Unstoppable.

2. Perks vs Darlo as mentioned above.

Honourable mention for Andy Flounders from the halfway line vs Lincoln. And Pat McCourt vs Brizzle Rovers in the 2-2 home draw. And Kev Townson against Fulham.

Best pair in the same match (in the same period of time -added -on) were ALF and Daggers vs Franchise.
Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 16:57 - Mar 13 with 1770 viewsBig_Macc_94

Scott Warner v Torquay i think it was
Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 16:57 - Mar 13 with 1769 viewsfitzochris

I love and hate these threads as they bring back great memories but always too many to list.

There are several Paddy McCourt goals that spring instantly to mind, especially those versus Hull and Halifax, and I remember a couple of great Paul Connor efforts when we battered Carlise 6-0 at home.

Kev Townson’s volley-cum-lob away at Leyton Orient was special, but in vain, as we were already four-down by that point. His goals against Fulham were even better.

Lee Todd, Paul Simpson and Rickie Lambert’s free-kicks were always something to behold and then obviously there was the proficiency of Whitehall, Holt, Murray, Le Fondre, Dagnall, COG et al.

As you can gather, I can’t pick two…

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 17:13 - Mar 13 with 1744 viewsSuddenLad

'Best' covers many interpretations.

Steve O'Shaughnessy free kick (almost) from the centre circle, into the Sandy Lane goal, and a Barry Diamond overhead scissor kick into the same goal, from the edge of the box. (Think Mark Hughes in the Manchester derby)

Two outstanding efforts.

I suppose for importance alone, it could either be Chris O'Grady against Northampton Town - the goal that confirmed our most recent promotion, or any of the three we scored against Southend United on May 10th 1969 to achieve the same feat.

An impossible task to pick just two goals from 5 decades of watching Dale.

Peter Ward (one of the '9') against 11 Burnley players at Turf Moor is incomparable for so many reasons. Ronnie Moore and Steve Taylor for the goals that beat Scunny in the FA Cup replay, that took us to Old Trafford.

Reg Jenkins, Dave Storf, Steve Taylor, Lyndon Simmonds, Joe Fletcher, Steve Melledew, Chris Dagnall, who scored the best hat-trick I have ever seen a Dale player score - the list of possibilities is endless - and all for different reasons.

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 17:50 - Mar 13 with 1713 viewsTalkingSutty

Hereford away on a cold Tuesday evening, the year of the great escape. About 10 minutes to go and Derek Parlane scored a absolutely vital goal for us, we won 1-0 and the rest of that season went down in history. Probably about 30 or 40 Dale fans in attendance.

COG goal to see us win promotion, i never thought i would see the day !!
Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 18:17 - Mar 13 with 1686 viewsShun

Alfie away at Bradford. We'd battered them for 90+ minutes yet the score was still 1-1 (we took the lead thanks to the most comical OG I've ever seen). Up pops Alfie in the last seconds of the game on the edge of the box with a sublime curling finish into the corner. The celebrations in that most cramped of away stands (this was when we were behind the goal) were so good (and painful), there was barely room to jump around.

Alfie away at Wycombe. I actually would've been happy with the 0-0 on this one. But then out of nowhere their keeper makes an appalling clearance in extra time. The ball's falling for Rundle on the wing, it's just whether he can connect with it. He takes it down with the most beautiful first touch I've ever seen, and then crosses for Madine, who fumbles to Alfie to score. Best-celebrations-ever (complete with advertising board being passed overhead).
Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 18:24 - Mar 13 with 1681 views442Dale

Best has become favourite.

Two others for the list...

Kevin Stonehouse's at Anfield in the Cup was a fantastic move.

Jason Peake's chip v Carlisle at the Sandy Lane end around January '95 was sublime.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 19:04 - Mar 13 with 1646 viewsShun

Double post.
Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 19:12 - Mar 13 with 1633 viewsRAFC_1994

Gary Jones at home against Southend. 2004 i think?
Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 19:24 - Mar 13 with 1619 viewsolympicdale

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 18:17 - Mar 13 by Shun

Alfie away at Bradford. We'd battered them for 90+ minutes yet the score was still 1-1 (we took the lead thanks to the most comical OG I've ever seen). Up pops Alfie in the last seconds of the game on the edge of the box with a sublime curling finish into the corner. The celebrations in that most cramped of away stands (this was when we were behind the goal) were so good (and painful), there was barely room to jump around.

Alfie away at Wycombe. I actually would've been happy with the 0-0 on this one. But then out of nowhere their keeper makes an appalling clearance in extra time. The ball's falling for Rundle on the wing, it's just whether he can connect with it. He takes it down with the most beautiful first touch I've ever seen, and then crosses for Madine, who fumbles to Alfie to score. Best-celebrations-ever (complete with advertising board being passed overhead).

I remember that game vs Wycombe on Soccer Saturday, 4.45 was announced there was a late goal at Wycombe, was convinced it was them, couldnt believe it when saw it was us! great moment.

Life is a game of fate.

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 21:36 - Mar 13 with 1565 viewsSalwaDale

Shosh v Scarborough? Freekick previously mentioned from almost halfway.

Flounders v Lincoln? Lob from way out.

TBBT

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 23:21 - Mar 13 with 1528 viewsSuddenLad

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 21:36 - Mar 13 by SalwaDale

That Andy Flounders goal was far better than the one that Beckham scored against Wimbledon from the half=way line.

For a start, Flounders was out on the wing, towards the dug-outs, whereas Beckham was very central. Flounders angle was much tighter, and greater accuracy was needed to score.

It was a fantastic piece of skill, but of course, unless your name IS Beckham, it will never be as good - except for those who saw it.

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 23:40 - Mar 13 with 1522 viewsScunnydale

Evil v Rushden in the first leg of the playoffs was great. Just watching Dale flow forward at pace - beautiful!
But too many others to mention, some that've already been talked about above.

EDIT: Although that match has just reminded me of my favourite Fantasy Football team name: Onandi Lowe's a Cheating, Diving W*nker.

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 00:14 - Mar 14 with 1509 viewsTVOS1907

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 21:36 - Mar 13 by SalwaDale

Just to remind you ....

And from t'other side:

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Best 2 dale goals witnessed on 01:45 - Mar 14 with 1493 viewsolympicdale

cant believe I forgot bout Higgys goal v Accy, stunning effort, seeing the whole team come to celebrate with him was great to see, and co-incidently a certain John Coleman having a go at the 4th official for a foul on the 'keeper

Life is a game of fate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024