Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. 07:28 - Jun 28 with 35596 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Only speculation but a few things have happened, in particular in the Conservative Party, that makes me think that the appetite for Brexit has reduced significantly.

Cameron's decision not to invoke Article 50 immediately has thrown the leavers into turmoil as it is now down to one of them to do the ultimate. It will now be the responsibility of the new PM to invoke Articld 50, a move nobody intended, or wants, to make. IDS and Gove all noted by their absence and Boris looked pale as milk yesterday with the realisation that Merkel et al have said a firm no to negotiations prior to invoking Article 50. This means the future PM will have nothing to 'sell' to the country or the markets prior to invoking Article 50. They will not be able to have one piece of legislation or even negotiation in their hands re 50% of UK trade. It would be like pushing an economic nuclear bomb if a new PM was to invoke Article 50 in such a situation as market confidence would collapse and multinationals up sticks. This will be an even more difficult act to undertake if the UK is in recession, which even the leavers acknowledge may very well be the case. Indeed, Boris has come out attempting to ease fears by stating that the UK remains very much at the heart of Europe and nothing much will change with the ultimate irony being that if we are to negotiate access to the single market then the terms of that negotiations will be very much like what we have already. Merkel et al permitting.

There are now rumours that top people in the Tories including some leavers and whips are sufficiently spooked enough to not back Boris or another leave candidate.

Could be wrong but expect stalemate. EU will call UK bluff and UK will be unwilling to do the ultimate deed because they will not be able to get the deals they so desperately want. Fascinating times.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 7:35]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 12:18 - Jul 4 with 2770 viewsDaleiLama

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:03 - Jul 4 with 2735 views49thseason

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 12:18 - Jul 4 by DaleiLama

I understand New Zealand has offered a team of negotators to help us out. Apparently they have a wealth of experience and want the UK to join a Commonwealth trade area.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:41 - Jul 4 with 2682 viewsmingthemerciless

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:03 - Jul 4 by 49thseason

I understand New Zealand has offered a team of negotators to help us out. Apparently they have a wealth of experience and want the UK to join a Commonwealth trade area.

I see Farage has joined the list of politicians that don't fancy sorting out the mess they've created. What a waste of space they are.

Having said that he's resigned before and changed his mind.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2016 15:34]
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 16:09 - Jul 4 with 2626 views1mark1

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 12:18 - Jul 4 by DaleiLama

😄

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 17:41 - Jul 5 with 2386 viewswimborne_dale

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:03 - Jul 4 by 49thseason

Joining a trade area is an excellent idea.
As long as it really is just a trade area.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 18:42 - Jul 5 with 2293 views49thseason

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 17:41 - Jul 5 by wimborne_dale

Joining a trade area is an excellent idea.
As long as it really is just a trade area.

Author:
Rt Hon Winston Peters
Date:
Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 16:45
New Zealand First is pushing hard for Closer Commonwealth Economic Relations (CCER) with the United Kingdom to be New Zealand’s number one trade priority.

“In the wake of the ‘Brexit Vote’, New Zealand must be the first country in the queue for a trade deal with a liberated United Kingdom,” says New Zealand First Leader and Member of Parliament for Northland Rt Hon Winston Peters.

“We already have the model of Closer Economic Relations with Australia. Adding the UK would begin to transform this into Closer Commonwealth Economic Relations (CCER).

“As we have trade deals with Malaysia and Singapore too, CCER is the means to bring in other Commonwealth states. Countries from South Africa to Canada and the emerging economic giant India.

“The combined gross domestic product of Commonwealth countries is predicted to hit US$14 trillion by 2020?

“CCER is about real free trade. There will be none of this Investor State Dispute Settlement nonsense because as Commonwealth countries we share similar legal systems.

“Britain’s exit from the European Union within the next two years is the spark CCER needs to get it going. What’s more, Boris Johnson has spoken in favour of a similar concept.”
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 19:02 - Jul 5 with 2275 viewsmingthemerciless

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 18:42 - Jul 5 by 49thseason

Author:
Rt Hon Winston Peters
Date:
Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 16:45
New Zealand First is pushing hard for Closer Commonwealth Economic Relations (CCER) with the United Kingdom to be New Zealand’s number one trade priority.

“In the wake of the ‘Brexit Vote’, New Zealand must be the first country in the queue for a trade deal with a liberated United Kingdom,” says New Zealand First Leader and Member of Parliament for Northland Rt Hon Winston Peters.

“We already have the model of Closer Economic Relations with Australia. Adding the UK would begin to transform this into Closer Commonwealth Economic Relations (CCER).

“As we have trade deals with Malaysia and Singapore too, CCER is the means to bring in other Commonwealth states. Countries from South Africa to Canada and the emerging economic giant India.

“The combined gross domestic product of Commonwealth countries is predicted to hit US$14 trillion by 2020?

“CCER is about real free trade. There will be none of this Investor State Dispute Settlement nonsense because as Commonwealth countries we share similar legal systems.

“Britain’s exit from the European Union within the next two years is the spark CCER needs to get it going. What’s more, Boris Johnson has spoken in favour of a similar concept.”

The " Commonwealth " ship sailed a long while ago.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 19:17 - Jul 5 with 2246 viewsD_Alien

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 19:02 - Jul 5 by mingthemerciless

Point woefully missed

Britain has friends throughout the world who want to trade with us, on simple, no nonsense terms

We always knew that. Now we can get on with it and let the EU fail in it's own good time without harming us

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 20:05 - Jul 5 with 2193 views49thseason

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 19:02 - Jul 5 by mingthemerciless

Ming, you have no idea how wrong you are. 11 countries have already made approaches.with a bigger economic base and more people than the EU.

By Lukas Mikelionis | 4:49 am, June 29, 2016

Green shoots are already emerging, as other countries start to realise the possibilities of free trade deals with a newly-liberated Britain, less than a week after the referendum:

The United States: We take it back
Many still remember Barack Obama’s interjection into the referendum debate, in which he told voters to stay in the EU — and was promptly ignored.

In one veiled threat he claimed an independent Britain, would be at the “back of the queue.”

Since Friday, however, the tune has changed and he assured the special relationship between the countries hasn’t suffered. He hasn’t mentioned queues (a British word that raised suspicions it was a Remain campaign plant) since.

Follow
Viv J. @Un_Spin
US House Speaker @SpeakerRyan calls for trade deal with UK, says he might have voted for Brexit too http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/paul-ryan-brexit-trade-224878
4:26 PM - 28 Jun 2016

Ryan calls for post-Brexit trade deal with U.K.
"We need to emphasize that they are our indispensable ally," Ryan said.
politico.com
49 49 Retweets 31 31 likes
“The ‘back of the queue’ statement will be forgotten by the next administration, if not sooner,” claims Gary Hufbauer, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute of International Economics.

A former deputy U.S. Trade Representative, Miriam Sapiro, thinks it might be even easier for the US to negotiate a trade deal with Britain, a “like-minded” country that is more open to free trade than other EU member states.

Meanwhile, members of Congress are already openly and seriously discussing the possibilities of a U.S-UK trade deal.

Iceland: First!
Iceland was the first country to offer Britain a trade deal following the referendum.

Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, Iceland’s president, said the UK can join a “triangle” of non-EU countries, including Greenland, Iceland, Norway and the Faroe Islands in the European Free Trade Area (EFTA).

Despite confessing himself not in love with the idea of Brexit, he talked up the opportunities it could bring to the North Atlantic in an interview with Icelandic media.

25 Jun
Christopher Howarth @CJCHowarth
Any reason for UK not to start prelim talks with USA, Aus, NZ, Can and others on FTAs? @LukeDCoffey
Follow
Hjörtur J. @Hjortur_J
@CJCHowarth The government of Iceland is already considering the possibility of a trade deal with the UK and will raise the issue at EFTA.
2:57 PM - 25 Jun 2016
582 582 Retweets 667 667 likes
India: Can we finally have a deal with someone in Europe?
The one-time colony (which has almost three times as many citizens as the EU) is looking forward to striking a deal, according to reports in the Financial Times.

The EU’s last attempt at a deal began nine years ago and has stalled with no obvious prospect of resumption.

Indian deputy finance minister Jayant Sinha said: “The UK is going to look to build its relationships with the rest of the world, and will seek to pursue new opportunities with us.”

Germany: Free trade, please, but don’t tell Merkel
Although as an EU member it has no power to strike its own deal, Germany — Britain’s biggest trade partner — is keen to keep the doors open.

The German Finance Ministry advised the EU to enter into negotiations aiming at making the UK an “associated partner country” of the trade block.

This comes after Germany industry giants pressed the government to strike a free trade deal in the event of Britain leaving the EU.

Follow
Laura Kuenssberg ✔ @bbclaurak
People quoting German BDI leader economy -helped both sides really - Germany wd insist on free trade deal with UK + Brexit would damage econ
9:32 AM - 22 Jun 2016
42 42 Retweets 24 24 likes
New Zealand and Australia: Commonwealth pals
Two more former colonies — with whom Britain has very close cultural ties — have shown interest in striking trade deals with Britain.

Both countries have been negotiating with the EU, but Britain’s surprise withdrawal has made the deal less attractive — and encouraged them to think about embracing the UK.

New Zealand First party leader Winston Peters said “a trade deal with the UK is an absolute priority” and “New Zealand must be the first country in the queue for a trade deal with a liberated United Kingdom.”

Labour Party leader Andrew Little suggested New Zealand should draw on its long and historic relationship with the UK to ensure future trade.

Meanwhile, Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull suggested New Zealand and Australia could team up to negotiate a single deal with the UK.

Ghana
The African nation was quick out of the traps to propose a trade deal. Ghanaian foreign minister Hannah Tetteh said she was working up a delegation already.

The West African nation already has a trade deal with the EU, but wants to keep seamless access to Britain. Brexit could offer a chance to tweak the arrangements to suit both nations better.

Protectionist EU agricultural policies penalise African countries, meaning freer trade with the UK could help them to prosperity through trade.

Canada: We are cautious outside, but can’t wait inside
The Justin Trudeau administration has reacted with caution to the news of Britain leaving the EU — but assured continuing ties.

“The UK and the EU are important strategic partners for Canada with whom we enjoy deep historical ties and common values. We will continue to build relations with both parties as they forge a new relationship,” a government statement said.

The Sun also reported today that Canadian officials had approached the Foreign Office for talks.

Mexico: We already have a draft
While Iceland was the first one to offer a trade deal to Britain, Mexico has beaten it by already drafting a trade pact between the countries.

Fearing temporary economic instability that Brexit could bring, the finance minister was encouraged to draft a trade agreement with the UK.

Switzerland: “Interested and open”
The president of Switzerland, Johann Schneider-Ammann, has reached out to Britain and would support our attempt to join EFTA (European Free Trade Association).

At a media conference, the President was asked “Whether the UK would be welcome in the EFTA family?”

He responded: “We are interested and open.”

South Korea
Business Secretary Sajid Javid has also revealed today that South Korea contacted the government to begin bilateral trade talks as soon as possible.

27 Jun
chris g @chrisg0000
Australia (13th) New Zealand (55th largest) 1st nations to express interest in UK trade deal.

Only 3 other EU economies bigger than Aus
Follow
chris g @chrisg0000
South Korea has declared interest in UK trade deal (world's 11th biggest economy), surely Canada (10th biggest) will follow.
6:22 PM - 27 Jun 2016
34 34 Retweets 20 20 likes
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 21:00 - Jul 5 with 2138 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Will not repeat the long thread 49th. The UK's largest export market is the U.S, by some distance, is it not? Being a member of the EU has in no way stifled our trading with the U.S. There is something of a strawman being created here. The U.K is one of the most, if not the most (with the exception of Germany), globally exposed economies in the world.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 21:09 - Jul 5 with 2112 viewsD_Alien

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 21:00 - Jul 5 by BigDaveMyCock

Will not repeat the long thread 49th. The UK's largest export market is the U.S, by some distance, is it not? Being a member of the EU has in no way stifled our trading with the U.S. There is something of a strawman being created here. The U.K is one of the most, if not the most (with the exception of Germany), globally exposed economies in the world.

You're half right, and being globally exposed is to our advantage

The difference is that freedom from EU trading regs - which flows through every point 49th has highlighted - means we can now trade on our own terms and negotiate deals which are mutually advantageous with any and every other nation or bloc

Meanwhile, the share of world trade with the EU continues to shrink (it'll shrink further with the UK no longer being a member) year on year

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 23:04 - Jul 5 with 2046 viewsanotherbiffo

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 21:09 - Jul 5 by D_Alien

You're half right, and being globally exposed is to our advantage

The difference is that freedom from EU trading regs - which flows through every point 49th has highlighted - means we can now trade on our own terms and negotiate deals which are mutually advantageous with any and every other nation or bloc

Meanwhile, the share of world trade with the EU continues to shrink (it'll shrink further with the UK no longer being a member) year on year

The reality is we're a tin-pot, odious, has been little nation harbouring delusions of grandeur. Talk all you will of the Commonwealth and it's abundance of...well, common wealth and the EU's shrinking sphere of influence, try as I might I cannot see one positive to come out of Brexit - apart from Europe taking precautions to avoid a future, similar debacle.

The disappointment of the British comes from within, it was there before we joined Common Market and it will be there after we leave the EU. I suspect that if we were half as good as we think we are we wouldn't need to blame anybody else for our woes. A monumental balls-up that has set us back 20 years.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 08:42 - Jul 6 with 1952 viewsR17ALE

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 23:04 - Jul 5 by anotherbiffo

The reality is we're a tin-pot, odious, has been little nation harbouring delusions of grandeur. Talk all you will of the Commonwealth and it's abundance of...well, common wealth and the EU's shrinking sphere of influence, try as I might I cannot see one positive to come out of Brexit - apart from Europe taking precautions to avoid a future, similar debacle.

The disappointment of the British comes from within, it was there before we joined Common Market and it will be there after we leave the EU. I suspect that if we were half as good as we think we are we wouldn't need to blame anybody else for our woes. A monumental balls-up that has set us back 20 years.

Your post is bordering on treason. Hang your head in shame.

Your first sentence describes your club, not your country.

The common wealth still exists whether you like it or not, and our influence in it is still measureable, due in no small part to our queen.

I understand you are unhappy with the referendum result, but to many people it now sets us free. Free to trade where we like on our terms. Free to run our house as we see fit. Free to control our courts and so on.

If you really can't see one positive, and think we've gone back 20 years, and believe we're an odious little nation, there's only one conclusion you can logically reach.

Fook off somewhere else.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:07 - Jul 6 with 1934 viewsmingthemerciless

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 23:04 - Jul 5 by anotherbiffo

There's a lot of truth in that, maybe I should hang my head in shame as well. It must be great having delusions of grandeur.

Those people talking the economy up need to tell the £ things are so good for us. It's at a 31 year low against the dollar this morning.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:38 - Jul 6 with 1918 viewsR17ALE

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:07 - Jul 6 by mingthemerciless

There's a lot of truth in that, maybe I should hang my head in shame as well. It must be great having delusions of grandeur.

Those people talking the economy up need to tell the £ things are so good for us. It's at a 31 year low against the dollar this morning.

Happen you should.

The scaremongering over the £ is bordering on insane. Yes it means petrol will go up, but it also means those who buy from us are getting more for their brass so might buy more and so on.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 10:36 - Jul 6 with 1878 views49thseason

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:38 - Jul 6 by R17ALE

Happen you should.

The scaremongering over the £ is bordering on insane. Yes it means petrol will go up, but it also means those who buy from us are getting more for their brass so might buy more and so on.

The value of the pound is as much connected with the fall of the Dax (German Stock Exchange) and the parlous state of the Italian Banks as it is with Brexit (which admittedly was the trigger event). Trading in Monte dei Paschi di Siena Bank (Italy) was suspended this morning and Deutsche Bank has dropped another 6% this morning to a new, all-time low which I predicted last week. there is now no discernable bottom for DB (think Lehmans) and it could well see the end of the Euro as it collapses if the Italians don't do it first.
All that Brexit has done is accelerate the problem. all the problems with the Euro were happening anyway. Thank God we didn't join!

"The GBP is at 31 year lows against the dollar and 3 year lows against the euro in mid-week trade as the post-brexit sell-off continues unanswered.

We believe a pervasive negative sentiment towards both the UK and amongst traders in general is behind the selling of Sterling what is now seen as a risky asset to hold.

Watch moves on the German DAX, which is down by a similar margin to the main Sterling pairs, as was the case on Monday.

Time and again we have been able to draw a correlation between Germany's leading stock index and the British pound.

The correlation is not a constant one, but appears to be strongest in times of heightened risk-on / risk-off trade; the type of conditions we are seeing at present.

We note that the size of the moves in GBP/EUR & GBP/USD correspond to the DAX moreso than to the UK's own FTSE 100.

This is likely because the FTSE 100 is an international index, with mining and commodity stocks having a large weighting and as the Governor of the Bank of England himself noted on Tuesday, it is not a great reflection of the domestic economy.

The DAX is meanwhile a better gauge of European investor flows and sentiment which are more applicable to Sterling."
https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/5142-gbp-today-3212
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:14 - Jul 6 with 1833 viewsNafelad

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 16:09 - Jul 4 by 1mark1

😄

I agree - what you said!

Topcat

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:23 - Jul 6 with 1822 viewsnordenblue

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 09:07 - Jul 6 by mingthemerciless

Stick to commenting on rugby
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:28 - Jul 6 with 1817 viewsTalkingSutty

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 08:42 - Jul 6 by R17ALE

The common wealth still exists whether you like it or not, and our influence in it is still measureable, due in no small part to our queen.

I understand you are unhappy with the referendum result, but to many people it now sets us free. Free to trade where we like on our terms. Free to run our house as we see fit. Free to control our courts and so on.

If you really can't see one positive, and think we've gone back 20 years, and believe we're an odious little nation, there's only one conclusion you can logically reach.

Fook off somewhere else.

Straight to the point, no beating around the bush. Excellent Post.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:31 - Jul 6 with 1813 viewsTalkingSutty

Fook off somewhere else.

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 14:15 - Jul 6 with 1767 viewsCamdenDale

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 13:31 - Jul 6 by TalkingSutty

It's not an excellent post. Neither was the one he was replying to.

The remain crew (as was) aren't behaving themselves granted. But there's a reason for that - in short, there is no plan. Just nutty emotionality.

'Now we are free' - 'now we are six', I mean, it's just emotional bonkersness.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 14:22 - Jul 6 with 1755 viewsTalkingSutty

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 14:15 - Jul 6 by CamdenDale

It's not an excellent post. Neither was the one he was replying to.

The remain crew (as was) aren't behaving themselves granted. But there's a reason for that - in short, there is no plan. Just nutty emotionality.

'Now we are free' - 'now we are six', I mean, it's just emotional bonkersness.

It's your opinion, it doesn't make you right. The people voted, stop bleating and get on with it.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 14:31 - Jul 6 with 1738 viewsCamdenDale

Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 14:22 - Jul 6 by TalkingSutty

It's your opinion, it doesn't make you right. The people voted, stop bleating and get on with it.

Well yes, I am right in this case. Would you let a child beat it's head against a wall? Doubt it. Democracy isn't everything.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 14:37 - Jul 6 with 1736 viewsanotherbiffo

Fook off somewhere else.

Ha ha - "Your post is bordering on treason. Hang your head in shame." - give your head a wobble pal, it's called free speech and it's part of our great democratic tradition - the tradition that the Rupert Murdochs, various quack right-wing commentators, a bunch of toffee-nosed wasters including Farage and Johnson and all of middle England's Victor Meldrews are all hell bent on destroying. As for hanging my head in shame, why should I? I'm as proud to be British as you - if not more so - and I'm damned if I'll stand quietly while it's all p@ssed away in one knee-jerk outpouring of unfocused angst and hurt.

Your allusion to OAFC is apposite, however - clueless, leaderless, rudderless, and without a pot to p-ss in - and moreover, certainly heading for the rocks. I could be describing post-brexit Britain. At least we Biffos acknowledge the mess we're in.

You say I should 'Fook off somewhere else', but when I look round this little Isle, from Berwick to Brighton (excluding London, of course) and see rutted roads, coppers dressed like bin-men, dilapidated council houses and dodgy boozers pinned with grimy and tattered George crosses, bullet-necked, tattoed builders spitting out of vans, obese girls waddling over broken pavements with prams, all the while texting, litter strewn hedges and vile, broken down caravans selling slimy tea and bacon butties, it makes me all the more determined to stay and fight for the right not to be sh@t on and lied to by the 'establishment', fight the jingoistic slogans that hide our cowardly, insanely regressive and isolationist withdrawal and fight the accompanying xenophobia.

Yes, I'm a little bit unhappy with the referendum result.
Brexit. I wouldn't be so sure. on 14:37 - Jul 6 with 1734 viewsCamdenDale

People would vote for hanging right? Public hanging too - make a day of it. Referendums are shit. "Now we have our country back" - what utter shit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024