Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Pompey home 14:01 - Apr 7 with 22285 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Pompey home on 17:59 - Apr 7 with 3000 viewsBazzanne

Match thread: Pompey home on 17:04 - Apr 7 by richfoad32

Disappointing result so we turn it into a 'let's bash Joe Thompson' thread. Standard.

Certainly not a bash Thompson thread but a substitute is brought on to add something to the team. Sadly Joe did not, in fact I think he made us weaker. I would have said the same of any player who contributed to the same degree. Nil.
Match thread: Pompey home on 18:00 - Apr 7 with 2988 viewsfunkkk

So disappointing especially with Wigan on the horizon. Hopefully we can match the performance if not the tactics against Wigsn, another tough game!
Match thread: Pompey home on 18:02 - Apr 7 with 2965 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Pompey home on 17:43 - Apr 7 by DiddyDave

Sounds like KH playing mind games again. Is Inman allowed to play against Peterborough?

No

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:02 - Apr 7 with 2957 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Pompey home on 15:29 - Apr 7 by onedalefan

Who is the ref? It's not Andy Haines

Scott Oldham.

Andy Haines withdrew yesterday with an injury.

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:03 - Apr 7 with 2959 viewssince58

Match thread: Pompey home on 17:50 - Apr 7 by JimmyRustler

Awful awful goals to concede.

Jim massively at fault for the first IMO - Camps chasing the man and Jim, rather than standing his ground like the long in the tooth CH that he is, comes out rashly and totally misses the challenge before the bloke feeds Pittman at the backpost.

Second goal, good finish from Pittman but once again defensively we look absolutely petrified to put a tackle in. Pittman is slower than the onset of AIDS but managed to get to the ball first. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Third goal. Where do I start? Josh not commanding enough, Humphries then heads the ball out about 10 yards into the air where a spinal injury victim would have probably done a better job. Ball comes back, we lose the first and second headers, Josh once again rooted to his line and Done puts it into the net under pressure (lad behind Matty was virtually penetrating him so I reckon he would have put it in regardless tbf).

Some great play going forward though. Inman is finally showing why he's been so highly rated in the past (and is actually tracking back successfully too). Rathbone is coming on leaps and bounds. Camps is getting better but still delights and frustrates in equal measure. Humphreys once again put a shift in and deserved the goal - same for Hendo.

As for the subs, the Thompson thing was totally bizarre. Another player we haven't seen for a while in from cold with no real discernible logic behind the decision. The worst thing however was that by taking both Humphreys and Inman off, we had no chaser up top (Andrew was knackered) and so the ball just kept coming back with no pressure from the front. This ultimately let to them pumping more balls in than Ron Jeremy and well, as we know, it lead to our downfall. Make no mistake about it though, we battered em and fully deserved 3 points. Our game management is piss poor and when it comes to defending high balls in our own box, we look like an under 12's team.

Ah well. Onto Wigan.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2018 18:01]

Maybe we should have fetched John Holmes on instead of Thommo.
as yorkshirse Dale says we might have dicked em.
Match thread: Pompey home on 18:06 - Apr 7 with 2907 viewsD_Alien

Was surprised we were dominant from early on in the game, and the difference between promotion-chasing and relegation-fighting in this league is negligible. If the Rafferty header had been left alone to make it 2-0 i don't think Pompey would've come back from that

It was an entertaining game, not always for the right reasons but at least we're showing good form at the right time of the season

I'm not going to comment on certain substitutions, it's all been said already

Oh ok... i will. Mindless

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:16 - Apr 7 with 2807 viewsBartRowou

Match thread: Pompey home on 17:48 - Apr 7 by SuddenLad

Posh had 2 sent off today. That will shorten their options for next week.....

One's a right-back and the other is Steven Taylor (ex Newcastle) who's been a mainstay in defence for them this season.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:21 - Apr 7 with 2734 viewsisitme

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:02 - Apr 7 by TVOS1907

Scott Oldham.

Andy Haines withdrew yesterday with an injury.

I thought the ref had a good game.
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:29 - Apr 7 with 2649 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match thread: Pompey home on 17:06 - Apr 7 by 442Dale

Not at all. It’s his manager’s decision to bring him on.

It is indeed.....absolutely bizarre substitution.

JT runs round chasing but that's all he does....no threat up front and little ability to put in a tackle. Bizarre jobby

Mere passenger...not the thing to do in a game of this importance (we were winning too)
Match thread: Pompey home on 18:35 - Apr 7 with 2586 viewsbrownale

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:29 - Apr 7 by Yorkshire_Dale

It is indeed.....absolutely bizarre substitution.

JT runs round chasing but that's all he does....no threat up front and little ability to put in a tackle. Bizarre jobby

Mere passenger...not the thing to do in a game of this importance (we were winning too)

Soon as he came on I was reminded of the Walsall game at home and thought WHY were winning ffs.
Match thread: Pompey home on 18:44 - Apr 7 with 2523 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:21 - Apr 7 by isitme

He did....and no cards insight.

Thank goodness Haines took a knock.
Match thread: Pompey home on 18:55 - Apr 7 with 2441 viewsrochdaleriddler

Jim massively at fault for the first IMO - Camps chasing the man and Jim, rather than standing his ground like the long in the tooth CH that he is, comes out rashly and totally misses the challenge before the bloke feeds Pittman at the backpost.

Second goal, good finish from Pittman but once again defensively we look absolutely petrified to put a tackle in. Pittman is slower than the onset of AIDS but managed to get to the ball first. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Third goal. Where do I start? Josh not commanding enough, Humphries then heads the ball out about 10 yards into the air where a spinal injury victim would have probably done a better job. Ball comes back, we lose the first and second headers, Josh once again rooted to his line and Done puts it into the net under pressure (lad behind Matty was virtually penetrating him so I reckon he would have put it in regardless tbf).

Some great play going forward though. Inman is finally showing why he's been so highly rated in the past (and is actually tracking back successfully too). Rathbone is coming on leaps and bounds. Camps is getting better but still delights and frustrates in equal measure. Humphreys once again put a shift in and deserved the goal - same for Hendo.

As for the subs, the Thompson thing was totally bizarre. Another player we haven't seen for a while in from cold with no real discernible logic behind the decision. The worst thing however was that by taking both Humphreys and Inman off, we had no chaser up top (Andrew was knackered) and so the ball just kept coming back with no pressure from the front. This ultimately let to them pumping more balls in than Ron Jeremy and well, as we know, it lead to our downfall. Make no mistake about it though, we battered em and fully deserved 3 points. Our game management is piss poor and when it comes to defending high balls in our own box, we look like an under 12's team.

Ah well. Onto Wigan.

Humphreys not in the pitch for the 3rd goal!

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:00 - Apr 7 with 2414 viewsShun

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:16 - Apr 7 by BartRowou

One's a right-back and the other is Steven Taylor (ex Newcastle) who's been a mainstay in defence for them this season.

I wonder if we’ll play the same as today or whether Rathbone will shackle himself to Maddison all game as happened so effectively in the home game.
Match thread: Pompey home on 19:08 - Apr 7 with 2364 viewsfrenzied

A game that’s was a joy to watch for the neutral.

Yes it’s galling that we conceded so late but the performance and energy levels were high.

They looked v confident on the ball which was a challenge in itself as the surface was incredibly bumpy.

I’d have taken a point to before the game as I would for the games against Wigan and Posh.

It’s stll in our hands we can ask for no more ,the key games are the ones against Oldham. And Bradford..it could be when Charlton come in May that they will be challenging for a play off spot whilst we may need the points to stay up..what an evening that would be at Spotland!!
Match thread: Pompey home on 19:28 - Apr 7 with 2241 viewsrochdale_ranger

I think we should be having a dig at the fella who headed the ball into the net rather then Joey T. That said when we needed pace upfront why didn’t we give Dobre a chance?
Match thread: Pompey home on 19:28 - Apr 7 with 2241 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:44 - Apr 7 by Yorkshire_Dale

He did....and no cards insight.

Thank goodness Haines took a knock.

Why?

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:34 - Apr 7 with 2204 views442Dale

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:28 - Apr 7 by rochdale_ranger

I think we should be having a dig at the fella who headed the ball into the net rather then Joey T. That said when we needed pace upfront why didn’t we give Dobre a chance?

We didn’t need pace up front. We just needed some fresh legs who could do a job up and down in wide areas, either Wiseman or Ntlhe were the obvious choices unfortunately a wrong decision and subsequent poor defending has cost us.

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:52 - Apr 7 with 2078 viewsonedalefan

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:21 - Apr 7 by isitme

I agree. Let things go that other refs would have pulled up and kept the game flowing similar to the ref in the Shrewsbury game. Wish others would take notice that the game is not about them.
Match thread: Pompey home on 20:06 - Apr 7 with 1999 viewsfinberty

Ah well. Onto Wigan.

If Jim was massively at fault, where the hell was McGahey?

I realise it’s not fashionable ever to criticise him when Jim is around to be blamed.

pitman’s an interesting watch. Spends most of the time gesticulating resignedly at his team mates, yet give him the ball in the box and he’s unplayable.

On the third goal, as for the second, Josh seemed to having one of his old flapping days which I thought were long gone. Didn’t get the Thompson change when Wiseman, Kitching or Davies would have had sufficient forward intent not to invite them on.

Puzzling, but overall not disastrous. Yet.
Match thread: Pompey home on 20:11 - Apr 7 with 1961 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Pompey home on 20:06 - Apr 7 by finberty

I realise it’s not fashionable ever to criticise him when Jim is around to be blamed.

pitman’s an interesting watch. Spends most of the time gesticulating resignedly at his team mates, yet give him the ball in the box and he’s unplayable.

On the third goal, as for the second, Josh seemed to having one of his old flapping days which I thought were long gone. Didn’t get the Thompson change when Wiseman, Kitching or Davies would have had sufficient forward intent not to invite them on.

Kitching wasn't in the squad.

Match thread: Pompey home on 20:12 - Apr 7 with 1953 viewsJimmyRustler

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:55 - Apr 7 by rochdaleriddler

Humphreys not in the pitch for the 3rd goal!

Yes apologies think it was the second
Match thread: Pompey home on 20:13 - Apr 7 with 1947 viewsdalenumber2

Match thread: Pompey home on 20:11 - Apr 7 by TVOS1907

Kitching wasn't in the squad.

Pedant!
Match thread: Pompey home on 20:16 - Apr 7 with 1934 viewsfinberty

Match thread: Pompey home on 20:13 - Apr 7 by dalenumber2

Pedant!

Just getting picky, with some actual facts.

Dobre then. Or Knott to get in their faces. Inviting them on had a predictable outcome.
Match thread: Pompey home on 20:24 - Apr 7 with 1889 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Pompey home on 20:16 - Apr 7 by finberty

Just getting picky, with some actual facts.

Dobre then. Or Knott to get in their faces. Inviting them on had a predictable outcome.

Knott wasn't....

I'd have put Wiseman on personally, as he can attack and defend reasonably well in equal measure.

Match thread: Pompey home on 20:26 - Apr 7 with 1870 views442Dale

Match thread: Pompey home on 20:06 - Apr 7 by finberty

Going off the sky highlights they were both at fault for the first at various stages, although others could have done better too. McNulty should have taken control for the second rather than have his arm in the air and made sure he gave Humphrys a shout. The third McGahey gets beaten for the first header and then collectively they all switched off.

We were also ridiculously deep for the ball forward initially though and Thompson is ten yards away from the bloke playing it forward. Someone said today summed up our season, I’d argue that third goal did with the multitude of avoidable aspects to it, not only from those out on the pitch.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2018 20:41]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024